Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-08-19, 11:25   Link #141
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Even comparing studios on animation quality can be tricky if not impossible.

For example Ufotable's animation fame is based on the Kara no Kyoukai movie project. The animation quality of their TV shows is well below average. Comparing movie, OVA and TV work is apples and oranges and bananas.

Most studios like Gainax or SHAFT were founded by creative staff that wanted to start for themselves. The names (and funding) attached to individual projects tends to determine the quality.

Studios like P.A. Works and Kyoani are the opposite. They were subcontracting firms with a good technical reputation that now switched to making their own anime. As their basis is in the production process, the key strength of these companies is having their own permanent inhouse animation department. Their animation style is easily recognizable. The main weakness is in the creative side of things, as there are no reknowed writers/directors linked to either studio. Kyoani is dependent on source material and P.A. Works is terrible when it comes to series composition and pacing. Animation quality wise both are (still) the top when it comes to TV material.

Sunrise is yet another form of studio. They are primarily an animation management and planning agency who work with several independent studios. Teams are created for particular projects and then broken up afterwards, so there is little continuity. The company is heavily indepted to Tomino's creative works and to a large extent the company still lives of his legacy.

Ghibli is the only studio that can do as it pleases given their financial independance. They desire to preserve the craft of handdrawn animation and have disbanded their CG department. Given their retro approach and massive expenditure per second of animation they are impossible to compare with any other firm these days.
Sensational, informative post.

I'd rep you for it, but I just repped you elsewhere for an equally good post.

One thing I am curious about though - How much choice do anime studios have when it comes to what they adapt?

I keep hearing some KyoAni fans say, for example, "You can't blame KyoAni for doing Nichijou instead of more Haruhi - that's Kadokawa's decision!".

Is that true? If so, who's ultimately responsible for what an anime studio gets to work on? Does an anime studio not have an option to refuse certain project requests that it deems to be, say, a waste of its time and efforts?

I also find it odd that there doesn't seem to be VN companies beating down KyoAni's doors, requesting the studio to adapt their works. The Key/KyoAni trio are, after all, not merely critically acclaimed, but also extremely well-selling.

There just seems to be so little rhyme or reason behind what an anime studio does from season to season, and year to year (apart from continuing to adapt established franchises, of course).
Old 2011-08-19, 13:05   Link #142
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sensational, informative post.
One thing I am curious about though - How much choice do anime studios have when it comes to what they adapt?

I keep hearing some KyoAni fans say, for example, "You can't blame KyoAni for doing Nichijou instead of more Haruhi - that's Kadokawa's decision!".

Is that true? If so, who's ultimately responsible for what an anime studio gets to work on? Does an anime studio not have an option to refuse certain project requests that it deems to be, say, a waste of its time and efforts?

I also find it odd that there doesn't seem to be VN companies beating down KyoAni's doors, requesting the studio to adapt their works. The Key/KyoAni trio are, after all, not merely critically acclaimed, but also extremely well-selling.

There just seems to be so little rhyme or reason behind what an anime studio does from season to season, and year to year (apart from continuing to adapt established franchises, of course).
That's a good question and that's something only true insiders could answer.

I do know that in Kyoani's case Ishihara (chief director) has a lot of influence. He is a self proclaimed Key VN fan and had prior contacts with them before joining Kyoani. Kadokawa also announced that they had supported his decision when he didn't feel ready to do an immediate sequel to Haruhi (2006) as he feared he would not be able to deliver due to expectations/pressure. Quite possible he needs/wants another break after the Haruhi 2009 and the movie.

However I don't know why Kyoani seems to exclusively work for Kadokawa/Key. There might be some exclusive contract or shareholder/profit sharing relationship. Kyoani shows tend to boost the sales of Kadokawa publications a lot. It's anyone's guess.

Succesful directors can also pitch a project, for example when Mamoru Hosoda (part of Madhouse) wanted to make Summer Wars, sponsors were more then happy to jump on the project. Same for Kawamori and Macross Frontier.

Most studios also take on production work simply to earn a living or to build up funds for their pet projects (read this as their own IP, that's where the money is at). Work on a new anime usually starts two years in advance so there is a significant investment made up front. It pays to have a full work portfolio in order to stabilize cash flows.

Only a few studios have enough capital to be picky. As said Ghibli can do whatever they fancy, altough they won't touch anything that would harm their reputation. (Miyazaki is a great critic of the working conditions in the industry and hates the sexualization of characters). But even they are not above taking on production jobs. They have done commercials and sub contracting in the past.

Production IG does a lot of work in the gaming industry so they are less dependent on anime production revenue. Xebec, a daughter company, kind of gets to do the dirty work.

Sunrise does freelance project management/production work between their own projects and Namco-Bandai assignments. They are probably free to take on work but they are required to stay away from anything resembling Kamen Rider (Namco-Bandai's other $500mln a year toyline next to Gundam).
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 13:18   Link #143
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Sunrise does freelance project management/production work between their own projects and Namco-Bandai assignments. They are probably free to take on work but they are required to stay away from anything resembling Kamen Rider (Namco-Bandai's other $500mln a year toyline next to Gundam).
I take it Sacred Seven and Tiger and Bunny are too different to be considered like KR?

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 13:42   Link #144
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I take it Sacred Seven and Tiger and Bunny are too different to be considered like KR?
Yeah, TB is more like a Japanese interpretation of the western super hero concept and as far as i have seen SS is a shonen fighting show.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 00:43   Link #145
YuriEcchiGirl

Best - CLAMP

Worst - Can't really think of one off-hand right now
YuriEcchiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 00:50   Link #146
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriEcchiGirl View Post
Best - CLAMP
Um... CLAMP isn't a studio. It's a mangaka circle
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 08:54   Link #147
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
CLAMP is a very hit or miss circle though. When they try, they can create some absolutely fantastic stuff. But when they don't...(shudders)
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 13:15   Link #148
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well they do highlight the issues of anorexia really well I guess.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote