AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-12-21, 03:43   Link #11561
Liingo
Love Hina?

Hmm haven't been here for a while. It's good to see the range of fics has grown since the last time I posted in here. Back then it was a lot of Satashi and not much else .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
"Hence the reason your tactical support isn't breaking down the doors or firing snipe shots through the walls in the displays of conspicuous heroism they show on the broadcast cop shows," javelin noted. "Your Captain Cobalt has been quite the irritant to me over the past two years, and I think that the corpses of his undercover agents, consigned to death by his own arrogance and carelessness, will be a satisfying message to leave for him."
That was the only thing that I could spot in terms of anything wrong with this chapter. Not capitalising his name.
Quote:
6. I get the distressing idea that the fact that the unwelcome guest in Cobalt's van is Fate is painfully obvious long before Bardiche speaks his trademark phrase. Since the whole point of not mentioning her by name was so that when Bardiche speaks up, the reader goes off into a "Waah! Feito-chan!" moment of squee, would it work better to actually have her introduced outright, described, etc.? Or does it still work the way it's supposed to despite itself?
Looking back on it, it seems fairly obvious to me who the intruder is, but only after reaching Bardiche's line. Although I'm not sure if that was just because of me not paying enough attention to the fic. I think it should be fine as it is though.

Liingo
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 05:06   Link #11562
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Quote:
Spoiler for Stahlkonigin--Chapter 3:
Obscure grammatical glitch: 'former' and 'latter' relate to a list of TWO things only. This is so because the terms make a comparison of order to only one other thing, i.e. 'latter' = 'the one that comes after the other'. If you had more than two items, it becomes ambiguous in that 'the other' is left undefined - it could refer to any item in the list other than the last.

I quite enjoyed the fun in the first half, though I wonder if Vita is as weirded-out by Shamal and Zafira as I am. I imagine it'd be quite a change from what they've been used to for centuries Maybe they bonded over a common lack of screen time?
yuiseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 12:07   Link #11563
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post

That was the only thing that I could spot in terms of anything wrong with this chapter. Not capitalising his name.
Thank you! *pops open WordPerfect and fixes that for the final draft*

Quote:
Looking back on it, it seems fairly obvious to me who the intruder is, but only after reaching Bardiche's line. Although I'm not sure if that was just because of me not paying enough attention to the fic. I think it should be fine as it is though.

Liingo
Hmmm...that seems to be the consensus, so maybe I was just being oversensitive as the writer? Or maybe it's just that it's a general trope of writing so it works effectively even if it doesn't present a genuine surprise.

(Nina was correct in noticing the segue between scenes...Vivio's talking about what Fate's doing and we cut to Fate; I did the same thing in Chapter 2 when Hayate was talking about the existing users of Ancient Belkan magic before cutting to a Vivio scene...trying to make the scene-jumps a little less jarring, since this story is essentially a suspense novel and so has numerous scenes detailing a wide variety of disparate characters and settings while the plot comes together)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuiseppe View Post
Obscure grammatical glitch: 'former' and 'latter' relate to a list of TWO things only. This is so because the terms make a comparison of order to only one other thing, i.e. 'latter' = 'the one that comes after the other'. If you had more than two items, it becomes ambiguous in that 'the other' is left undefined - it could refer to any item in the list other than the last.

I quite enjoyed the fun in the first half, though I wonder if Vita is as weirded-out by Shamal and Zafira as I am. I imagine it'd be quite a change from what they've been used to for centuries Maybe they bonded over a common lack of screen time?
*wince* Damn it, you're right, and I didn't know that; I'd been thinking it could refer to the first (former) or the last (latter) in a list instead of just two. Truth hurts! But hey, not only has the story now been improved (while I had WordPerfect open I changed "latter" to "last of them") but I've also learned something new today! So thank you very much.

As for the romancing Wolkenritter, I think Signum would be more weirded out, myself. Given that Shamal's kind of a "mom" figure for the team anyway and Zafira is the only male (sort of a "dad by default"...hm, I wonder if that's why there are so many Shamal/Signum pairings out there, because Signum is the leader of the family group? ) and Vita is the "child," it's almost more of an enhancement of their existing roles than a change in them. At least that's how I see it...

Oh, and since some of you have expressed liking for my GrimGrimoire fiction in the past, I wanted to let you know that I posted a new seasonal one this morning, "Yes, Virgine, There Is a Santa Claus":
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4730762/1/

It's a total WAFF overload, of course.

Last edited by DezoPenguin; 2008-12-21 at 12:37. Reason: Fic plugging FTW!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 12:50   Link #11564
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:

As for the romancing Wolkenritter, I think Signum would be more weirded out, myself. Given that Shamal's kind of a "mom" figure for the team anyway and Zafira is the only male (sort of a "dad by default"...hm, I wonder if that's why there are so many Shamal/Signum pairings out there, because Signum is the leader of the family group? ) and Vita is the "child," it's almost more of an enhancement of their existing roles than a change in them. At least that's how I see it...
I've always seen it as

Signum: Dad
Shamal: Mom
Vita: Kid
Zafira: Pet (Zafira: I'M THE WHAT! Arf: What a good dog you are. Zafira: wolf. )

Though if we go according to canon I believe it's been mentioned that they consider it now (as a whole unit so really the Yagami family in genral)
Hayate: Mom
Sig. Sha. Vita. Zaf: Children
Rein: Youngest child
and I guess Agito is now also the youngest child
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 19:38   Link #11565
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

So... I'm leaving for vacations tomorrow, I will not be back until January so...

I wish all of you a happy Merry Christmas and my best wishes to all of you for this upcoming 2009

Merry Christmas!
Old 2008-12-21, 20:57   Link #11566
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Spoiler for Evergreen:

Not my best by far, but just... had to. Inspired, I guess.
Old 2008-12-21, 23:10   Link #11567
TerranReaper
I am of the Blood Ravens

Send a message via MSN to TerranReaper
Spoiler for KOTR 12:

Can she get out alive?
TerranReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 08:59   Link #11568
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
and I guess Agito is now also the youngest child
Doubtful, Agito is several centuries older then Rein.

More likely she's the middle child. Not the oldest, not the youngest. Though there have also been hints that she may have been Signum's Unison Device. Although this isn't confirmed, merely hinted, it should make for interesting fics.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 09:15   Link #11569
Jimmy C

She's the youngest in that she's the newest addition.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 15:17   Link #11570
Allquall
The Not-So-Kind One

Send a message via AIM to Allquall
The Name of War
Chapter Eleven:
The Battle of Paxon

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4380342/11/
Allquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 16:05   Link #11571
Jimmy C

Poor Hayate, first the scandal, now this. Her stock just sunk even lower.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 16:50   Link #11572
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allquall View Post
The Name of War
Chapter Eleven:
The Battle of Paxon

Oh no! A new enemy has appeared, Hayate missing when they REALLY needed her...
Does any one else have a BAD feeling about this? Even more so when Lethir showed up
Old 2008-12-22, 19:13   Link #11573
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
The Name of War
Chapter Eleven:
The Battle of Paxon

Multiple bad feelings, Seraph! In fact, what I think is so effective about this chapter is that Hayate's disappearance has managed to play into three separate plot points:

(1) The Hayate/Carim romance: Good one, Hayate; you just left Carim alone to face the music.
(2) The political drama--vanishing suddenly in the middle of a crisis is going to be murder on her political stock
(3) The military/action scenario, in which her not being there has pretty well left all her friends out in the cold.

Lethir's intervention makes me immediately wonder exactly how much of this is planned. After all...

...the force originally sent in to save the base was Hayate's...

...who's not there, resulting in complete disaster (and I'd love to know precisely what bureaucrat intentionally set up that situation)...

...leading to Lethir riding in on his big white horse to save everybody and point out Hayate's uselessness in the middle of a political season.

Oh, yeah, and the rainbow portals that the PLA is using for their attacks just happen to be the same technology that's appearing over Earth, which just happens to be the center of Lethir's "Mid-Childa for Mid-Childans!" platform? Yeah, that's a coincidence. Heck, I'm giving a solid 70% odds right now that either Hayate's been kidnapped outright at this point, or that Lethir's electronic goon squad is deliberately jamming her communications, and if you want to include "a the very least was responsible for the 'Only Hayate can do anything with this force' foul-up" I'll take it straight to 100%. The only thing I'm not certain of at this point is whether Lethir is actually the major villain here or only the point man for some hidden evil. The latter would be more fitting for the series, but the former seems more apropos for this particular piece of fanfiction, especially given the ongoing "military culture class" business from the previous chapters.

We're nowhere near the end of this story, are we, Allquall?
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 20:06   Link #11574
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Quote:
Multiple bad feelin...

-SNIP-

... the previous chapters.
My thoughts exactly, Especially the kidnapped Hayate
though I didn't think about the romance part

Quote:
I hope not...
Old 2008-12-22, 20:17   Link #11575
Allquall
The Not-So-Kind One

Send a message via AIM to Allquall
Quote:

We've got a few more truckstops to visit before we exit the highway.
I have to admit that this arch is a joy to write.
Allquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 04:26   Link #11576
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Lethir's intervention makes me immediately wonder exactly how much of this is planned. After all...

...the force originally sent in to save the base was Hayate's...

...who's not there, resulting in complete disaster (and I'd love to know precisely what bureaucrat intentionally set up that situation)...

...leading to Lethir riding in on his big white horse to save everybody and point out Hayate's uselessness in the middle of a political season.

Oh, yeah, and the rainbow portals that the PLA is using for their attacks just happen to be the same technology that's appearing over Earth, which just happens to be the center of Lethir's "Mid-Childa for Mid-Childans!" platform? Yeah, that's a coincidence. Heck, I'm giving a solid 70% odds right now that either Hayate's been kidnapped outright at this point, or that Lethir's electronic goon squad is deliberately jamming her communications, and if you want to include "a the very least was responsible for the 'Only Hayate can do anything with this force' foul-up" I'll take it straight to 100%.
Frankly, I don't see Lethir playing kidnapping or jamming games. He's a villain, but also a political veteran who hardly has to resort to such crudity. The flow of the Midchildran population is very much on his side in this story - if he doesn't get it this election, he gets it next election. And if he ever had such plans, if he or any guys behind him had any brains he'll be aborting them all after Hayate self-immolates - the only thing stopping him now is the smallest chance of discovery if he plays such games.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 04:47   Link #11577
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
I has a brainchild!!! >=D This actually came to me just before I went to bed, I hope you like it.

It is a Subaru/Tiana one-shot that I wrote and dished out, so there will be errors.

Spoiler for Diamond Night:
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 05:54   Link #11578
Advent000
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Frankly, I don't see Lethir playing kidnapping or jamming games. He's a villain, but also a political veteran who hardly has to resort to such crudity. The flow of the Midchildran population is very much on his side in this story - if he doesn't get it this election, he gets it next election. And if he ever had such plans, if he or any guys behind him had any brains he'll be aborting them all after Hayate self-immolates - the only thing stopping him now is the smallest chance of discovery if he plays such games.
How I see it is, Hayate went from nothing to everything very quickly that makes her very dangerous, so yeah there's the risk of him being discovered, but leaving Hayate to recover has a potentially greater risk as she may make a comeback. That's my theory anyway.
Advent000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 06:57   Link #11579
arkhangelsk

If there were more days to the election, I'll agree. But basically they were on the Final Turn - there's no time for either side to seriously recover from any scandals they are caught with. He can get a few more bunny points with his Hero Show now, but considering they were close before the scandal, he almost certainly has all the votes he needs to comfortably win at this point.

Let's give it a try:

Quote:

I. Story: Chapter/Part:
OK, umm, The Name of War, Ch.11.

Quote:
II. What kept me reading:
(Suggested points to address)
-Prose:
-Characterization:
-Attention to detail:
-Plot/storyline:
Uh, let's see. I think I pretty much agree with Kagerou about why this story was good.

For this chapter, you tried out a battle scene. The nice part is that the feeling of general confusion and desperation of a battle was portrayed. This may be a good or bad thing, depending on whether you intended to show us that confusion. I'm sorry I can't come up with more positives, but I was never a good praiser and frankly this is not one of your stronger chapters, and I'll try and explain why below.

[quote]III. Changes I suggest to facilitate story flow:
Quote:
A. Objective Changes (no debate needed on these):
-spelling
-grammar
-punctuation
-continuity
I didn't specially look, however, nothing particularly stood out, so I suppose any errors here aren't jarring, for me at least. For continuity, I think we left the continuity behind over 10 years ago with your story, so you are more or less on free ground.

Wait, there was one: "Signum and Vita (along with Rein and Agito) have been sent with an infantry division to alleviate the siege." I suppose grammatically this is fine. But can people really put things in parantheses when they are speaking?

Quote:
B. Subjective Changes (changes are debatable):
-comments relating to strengthening the storyline
-word choice suggestions
-Character issues
-Suggested character changes
I suppose the weakest part of this chapter is tempo. While there was a good bit of text before the battle itself, it all managed to produce a feeling of rushing through it - almost like you wanted to get all that touchy-feely stuff over with and into your first real battle (at least in this story). Perhaps it is because you had too many little events and actions going on in that space, so while there were many words the Words-per-Action ratio is low, creating a feeling of rushedness.

Further down, when you ticked down the hours until Nanoha's air gave out, you didn't manage to convincingly depict the passage of time - another tempo problem. Time compression is part and parcel of storywriting but you must show that time passed.

Right now, every time you scribble TEN HOURS OF AIR REMAIN TO YOU, MY MASTER!, my brain is like "Do you mean ten minutes? Because from the events you wrote, it seems more like a few minutes had passed since the previous time hack than a few hours."

The other weakest part is uhh, basically almost the whole operation itself. Unfortunately, it is the meat of the chapter, I'll just try and go for a few without FISKing:

1) Shari: If I had to guess these people's relationship based on your diction and all, I'll have guessed Shari was the boss. And it is highly unlikely - Shari was enlisted and Nanoha and Fate were officers. Even after many years it seems unlikely that Shari will climb over their head, and I really don't remember reading about anything like that happening in your previous chapters.

2) Fate: OK, Fate is being used as some kind of power source for the shields and guns , which is funny because ships can produce their own shield power and even charge Arcenciels. Ah well... but why is she the pilot. She admits she has no natural talent, if she ever had so much as a course on heavy ship steering I don't think you've mentioned it. Are there no specialists around to drive? A bunch of gunners even, but no pilot (vessel steerer, in the Midchildran lexicon).

3) Concept of Operation: Umm, OK, to the outside, they are saying this is a pirate hostage situation, while they are really trying on a reconaissance mission. However, how can they expect the pirate hostage story to hold when they've sent entire divisions into action. Even if they don't know all of what is happening, it is hard to see how the cover story of "pirate hostage situation" won't be busted by talkative infantrymen. The busting will no doubt whet the appetites of aggressive journalists...

4) AA: The whole limiter thing feels a little contrived. Anyway, Nanoha looks really dumb saying "but I really would hate to fight anything that is higher than AA anyway.” Surely, that's not the point! And the phrase choice makes the idea of this being meant to soothe Shari a bit weak IMO. How about something more on the lines of "I'll be all right."

5) "Navy", "Air Force": I shudder every time you refer to the air force mages as "Air Force" or the ship's crew as "Navy". You don't refer to individuals within an organization as the organization itself. Try referring to the Air Force mages as "mages" or yes, "soldiers", and the crew as uh, the "crew" or "gunners". For the mages, it is even better if you can also use call signs - it makes them easy to reference. Or reference the leader of the respective organizations. For example, the ship should have a captain of some sort, so why not say "Captain, call the ship to battle stations". Almost anything would make the story sound better.

6) Organization of command: Nanoha seems to be in overall front-line command, and this satisfies the principle of one-man command, but surely, she should not be micromanaging the firing of the ship's guns even when she's outside, especially since she doesn't have a single subordinate commander for her quad-cores in sight...

7) The radio net: They are using secure communications. That's about the end of the positives. How did Vita, who's somewhere in the ground force division, get Nanoha's number despite the fact they were dispatched separately. In fact, it seems like almost everyone, from the AF and Navy's top commanders to Nanoha to Fate to the quad core to the separately dispatched ground division are sharing this one frequency (and Lethir calls everyone using one freq, to tell them to switch to another one in the end). Why it is free enough that anyone can talk to anyone else is a mystery. No wonder they are losing ... in addition to everything else, there simply isn't enough communications!

8) The Bureaucracy Game: Having it last 20 hours is IMO quite implausible. Does Hayate have no deputy? No one next in the chain of command?

Quite frankly, these 8 factors (and more) add up, and create a sense of unreality to the whole operation.

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2008-12-23 at 10:34.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 09:32   Link #11580
Advent000
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
If there were more days to the election, I'll agree. But basically they were on the Final Turn - there's no time for either side to seriously recover from any scandals they are caught with. He can get a few more bunny points with his Hero Show now, but considering they were close before the scandal, he almost certainly has all the votes he needs to comfortably win at this point.
By comeback, I didn't mean for this election specifically, I wasn,t clear on that sorry. But there's the next election when Lethirs term is up, and before then Hayate could still work against him by turning key figures and public support against him. No democratic leader can go against public opinion if they want to last long. With this rescue he's destroying Hayate's key personel's trust in her, and basically trashing whats left of her reputation.
Advent000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha