AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-06-18, 05:04   Link #541
Chosen_Hero

First of all, Dororos' words at the end where basically her saying that she would stay by Hyakkimarus' side no matter what happened.

Second, R.I.P. Rapidash, you definitely deserve a Mega evolution after this episode. Sadly, Ponyta is now left motherless.

Third, totally expecting Nui to get hit by a random truck or horse in this case.

Meanwhile, there is a cave full of treasure that could have solved if not helped mitigate a lot of the problems the villages, if not the entire domain has been going through. But I am sure that will only come up in the end after Daigo himself is dead, proving to us all that in the end money will solve all of our problems.
Old 2019-06-18, 10:48   Link #542
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
I'm pretty sure he's used the normal sword at some point, though I'm fuzzy on exactly when, and might be misremembering. On the other hand, is there much difference between holding his raw blades in his hands (using wraps that we won't try to figure out how he tied) vs holding a katana with a grip in his hands?
He used it in the Banmon arc. Him keeping the old blades doesn't really make sense, since as you're saying, the way he's using them now is not that different from the way you use a katana.
Old 2019-06-18, 11:15   Link #543
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So in the one remaining episode we'll have

- Hyakkimaru defeats Tohumaru and gets his eyes back
- Hyakkimaru and Daigo have some sort of (decisive?) confrontation
- Hyakkimaru and Dororo figure out what to do with the rest of their lives; maybe including Mrs. Daigo?
- The villagers recover and start a new life without Daigo bolstered perhaps by Dororo's gold

Do you think 24 minutes might not be enough time to cover all of this?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-18, 12:05   Link #544
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

- Hyakkimaru and Dororo figure out what to do with the rest of their lives; maybe including Mrs. Daigo?
- The villagers recover and start a new life without Daigo bolstered perhaps by Dororo's gold

They gonna have to find a way to make it work because I've seen a lot of anime that started out good but couldn't land the ending and tarnish the memory of the entire show.

I really don't want that to happen here...
Old 2019-06-18, 13:52   Link #545
Magewolf

I think what is bothering a lot of people is that the show is going for a message that just having a good reason to do something does not give someone carte blanche in doing it. Also it is not really taking a stand on the needs of the many vs the needs of the few seeming to try to say they need to be looked at case by case.

Hyakkimaru's mom thought that the problem with the deal with the demons was not so much the one vs the many as it was just a bad deal for everyone in the long run seems to be the line the show is going for. Dororo's thoughts at the end of the episode also seem to be being misinterpreted by some people. She is worried about Hyakkimaru rage going out of control more then she is about him getting his body back not that she thinks he should not get his eyes back. It is Hyakkimaru's increasing lack of control that is frightening her.

I am too lazy to check if anyone has mentioned "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" in this discussion yet but there are some similarities in the stories and in people's responses.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-18, 14:23   Link #546
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
They gonna have to find a way to make it work because I've seen a lot of anime that started out good but couldn't land the ending and tarnish the memory of the entire show.

I really don't want that to happen here...
That is happening buddy, you forgot the hypocrite doctor wanting to hill Hyakimaru because...dunno...
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-18, 14:33   Link #547
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
I think what is bothering a lot of people is that the show is going for a message that just having a good reason to do something does not give someone carte blanche in doing it.
That message would be a lot more perceivable if Hyakkimaru had done anything close to beyond the pale, but he hasn't. He's only killed monsters, bad monsters at that, and humans who weren't any better and were in the process of trying to kill him.

So why is everyone, including his father (by which I mean the doc) and his best friend on his case?

Quote:
Also it is not really taking a stand on the needs of the many vs the needs of the few seeming to try to say they need to be looked at case by case.

Hyakkimaru's mom thought that the problem with the deal with the demons was not so much the one vs the many as it was just a bad deal for everyone in the long run seems to be the line the show is going for.
Yeah, that, so, again, why is everyone putting Daigo's misery on him, as if it was his responsibility?

Quote:
Dororo's thoughts at the end of the episode also seem to be being misinterpreted by some people. She is worried about Hyakkimaru rage going out of control more then she is about him getting his body back not that she thinks he should not get his eyes back. It is Hyakkimaru's increasing lack of control that is frightening her.
And how much of his anger comes from the assholes (including her) refusing to acknowledge the justice of his crusade and basically telling him "for my convenience, please stay an incomplete, crippled being, and renounce what is yours"?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-18, 16:48   Link #548
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
That is happening buddy, you forgot the hypocrite doctor wanting to hill Hyakimaru because...dunno...
What are you talking about? He's not holding a weapon or anything when says he's going to "do what needs to be done" it's a statue. It tells me he's going to try to do something to claim Hyakkimaru next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, that, so, again, why is everyone putting Daigo's misery on him, as if it was his responsibility?
Well at least Hyakkimaru's mother came to her senses saying how they shouldn't be trying to defend the prosperity that sacrificing Hyakkimaru brought them because it was prosperity they didn't achieve themselves.
Old 2019-06-18, 18:09   Link #549
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That message would be a lot more perceivable if Hyakkimaru had done anything close to beyond the pale, but he hasn't. He's only killed monsters, bad monsters at that, and humans who weren't any better and were in the process of trying to kill him.
Yeah, he hasn't done anything wrong. The show started out really well but the narrative completely fell apart starting the second half.
Old 2019-06-18, 23:45   Link #550
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I feel like the show wants to take a stand, but doesn't follow through so much. Hyakkimaru going over the edge would kind of work if he wasn't killing people trying to kill him or just terrible people in general. So far his lack of control and rage has harmed people that he would have probably needed to kill anyways to protect his own life. I suppose if he killed a good person it'd be harder to keep him as the 'good guy' in the story. But few seem to be treating him as the good guy in the story anyways.

He does need to control himself better and gain a greater emotional maturity. But I also feel like he needs more people accepting him and appreciating why he's doing what he's doing. Even the doctor that gave him his various body parts seems to straight up reject him trying to reclaim his own body.

And no one in the show seems to discuss the moral implications of selling off a baby's body and having demons wandering around. What about all the people those demons have killed? It isn't as if Hyakkimaru fought these guys in that temple and they were all quietly chilling out there. These monsters were out in the world killing people. The people in Daigo act as if Hyakkimaru is the only victim of the demons. And no one seems to wonder if it isn't the demons actively turning that area into a nightmare. These are people eating monsters, but total trust is being put in bargains with them. Are they pulling away their protections from Daigo because the deal is being broken or are they actively making things worse as punishment for the deal being broken and to coerce a deal in the first place?

There are some good concepts being raised. Hyakkimaru losing control in desperation to regain his body is one. Although I'd still say that he'd be more in control if everyone (including his own family) wasn't demonizing him for seeking the return of his own body. The destruction of self that can result from seeking a goal mindlessly is fair. Both Hyakkimaru and Tahomaru have lost perspective and are trapped in a brutal and ugly fight as a result. Heck the idea of Dororo starting to realize what to do with that money and that people need to grab their own future is fair. I just think the show is stumbling a bit on execution.
Old 2019-06-19, 16:16   Link #551
Cao Ni Ma

The show had a ton of instances where they could actually focus on why the bushi are fucked and the parallels of them and the demons to modern capitalism but instead it sort of meanders wasting too much time on the "Actually it is Hyakki that might be a demon" all the while the bushi and demons keep fucking the populace, which is stupid as all hell.

If they really wanted to give an alternative narrative to the story, they should have gone with focusing more on the priest and the abandonment of desires all together. It would have been more akin to Tezuka's other works than whatever is happening with Dororo right now.
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-24, 11:06   Link #552
zztop

How the source material and other adaptations ended compared to the anime:

Spoiler for Original manga:

Spoiler for 60s anime:

Spoiler for 2004 PS2 game:

Spoiler for 2007 live action:

Spoiler for Tahoumaru surviving:
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-24, 11:22   Link #553
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well that turned out alright. Had to leave things kind of vague for the aftermath and future. But at least they did resolve a fair number of things. I was always just kind of waiting for Hyakkimaru to use the sword he was carrying around but that was left mostly as a decoration.

A lot of characters end up dead, Hyakkimaru got his body back, and life goes on. Too bad we didn't get any focus on little Ponyta in this episode but such is . At least they didn't do anything ridiculous like refuse to let Hyakkimaru get his eyes back.

Also...I'm guessing Dororo's plan involves hiring mercenaries? I'm pretty sure money alone won't stop someone from invading you to just take your money.
Old 2019-06-24, 11:45   Link #554
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Man, I loved this finale. Hyakkimaru sparing Tahomaru's life rather than killing him was a nice move. A shame about their mother but I don't get why poor Jukai had to die there. Also, Daigo being sparred by none other than Hyakkimaru sounds like a message that is never too late redeem yourself. Hyakkimaru decided to take walk but it's sad how he never tells Dororo he was leaving. Also, the monk sure kept being a secret. What the heck was he?
Old 2019-06-24, 12:13   Link #555
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Man, I loved this finale. Hyakkimaru sparing Tahomaru's life rather than killing him was a nice move. A shame about their mother but I don't get why poor Jukai had to die there. Also, Daigo being sparred by none other than Hyakkimaru sounds like a message that is never too late redeem yourself. Hyakkimaru decided to take walk but it's sad how he never tells Dororo he was leaving. Also, the monk sure kept being a secret. What the heck was he?
Hyakkimaru leaving Dororo comes from the manga, although here it has a
more hopeful tone, like those Korean/Japan dramas when the hero must seemingly leave forever, but everyone expresses hopeful confidence they'll see him again.

As for the monk, I think he was just an impartial wanderer bearing witness to events. Note he gets an even bigger role than the manga, where he just tends to pop up sporadically here and there.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-24, 13:31   Link #556
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

OK, Tahoumaru telling Hyakkimaru about his room and desk and pet horse and stuff as they ran through the burning castle had me laughing. It's like he's showing a friend around his home.

Also, it seems I managed to get everything exactly backwards with my predictions. Ah well.

Not sure how I feel about the conclusion. Feels very Japanese, but not sure it feels satisfying. Everything individually seems appropriate, but as a whole...? Dunno.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-24, 18:51   Link #557
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Tahoumaru looked totally normal before but suddenly he has a hole in his heart. Okay, I guess I'll chalk it up to the demon making his negative emotions stronger. I get Hyakkimaru sparing him because he realized he's the same as him, but Tahoumaru being so touched by this gesture he completely forgets about the death of Mutsu and Hyogo and acknowledges Hyakkimaru as his brother felt like bullshit.

I understand Nui wanting to stay behind with Tahoumaru, but there was no reason for Jukai to burn to death with them, especially after it had been established he had found the will to live again.

I thought the first thing Hyakkimaru would see would be Dororo, but it turned out to be his moms. He called Dororo pretty, at least.

Biwamaru revealing he used to be a samurai felt random at first, but after seeing Hyakkimaru and Daigo's final confrontation, they were probably hinting that Daigo would try to redeem himself by following the same path as him. I liked that Daigo realized he completely screwed up and that the demons accepted the deal because Hyakkimaru was destined to become an exceptional individual that could have probably made his domain flourish.

Dororo using her treasure to help Daigo's domain was expected. Hyakkimaru leaving Dororo in this version as well sucked, but at least here they very strongly implied they were eventually reunited with that scene showing grown-up Dororo running after him.

Not a bad ending, but not good enough to erase how shitty the second half of the anime was. The first half was so good, too. In the end, this turned out to be an average anime. Shame.
Old 2019-06-24, 19:02   Link #558
Irenesharda

Considering they are only about 6 or 7 years apart, I would totally ship these two once Dororo grows up.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-24, 19:56   Link #559
Wandering Soul

It's fine if Nui decides to perish with Tahomaru, but I don't get why Jukai had to die with them. That whole thing about the old man being revealed to be a samurai felt a bit random, but whatever. Daigo is implied to go on to redeem himself and after going their separate ways, Hyakkimaru and Dororo are implied to meet again. Overall it's a solid ending, though the first half of the show was better than the second half.
Old 2019-06-24, 20:01   Link #560
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote