Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-11, 06:54   Link #41
Jaz
omgwtf?!

Send a message via MSN to Jaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
don't feel too bad about it, without people like you who are too scared to watch horror movies, there would be nobody for people like me to tease.

oh, and btw....
Spoiler:
Haha, he looks like a Wookie for Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
catpeople! YES! Indeed that is the one. You've seen it, you lucky dog
I did only watch half of it, catpeople having incest and looking like slimy blobs in the mirror didn't really interested me.
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 12:44   Link #42
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lst2touchdasky
"It" scared me shitless...
OMG i saw that when i was 8 years old!!! i'm clown-a-phobic because of that! i recently saw it, and it was like the most stupid movie ever, it sucks to grow up and loose innocence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessKikyo
catpeople! YES! Indeed that is the one. You've seen it, you lucky dog
I saw that too! i was little, so it wasn't such a bad movie for me...
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 13:33   Link #43
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz
I did only watch half of it, catpeople having incest and looking like slimy blobs in the mirror didn't really interested me.
lol that's the joke silly
(It takes some twisted sense of humor, but I have it and I found it hillarious )

mantidor: have you read the book "It"? someone gave it to me but I haven't found time to read it yet......I can't imagine how it could be bad. It is Stephen King we're talking about here.
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 14:17   Link #44
KiNG

If you haven't watched it, I recommend The Ring, a great movie with an open question end! Seriously, if you like horror movies, you have to watch The Ring, I don't only like the scary part of it, but it also has its mysterious storyline which kept me in a open-mouth-face all the movie long, especially in the end.

I really mean it, it's one if not the best horror movie ever!
KiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 14:43   Link #45
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
OMG i saw that when i was 8 years old!!! i'm clown-a-phobic because of that! i recently saw it, and it was like the most stupid movie ever, it sucks to grow up and loose innocence...

I saw that too! i was little, so it wasn't such a bad movie for me...
omg "IT" that movie scarred me as a child, I couldn't see clown the same way anymore after watching that.

Clown from Hell.. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 15:26   Link #46
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

nothing really scares me anymore, im 18 and have watched horror movies my whole life. i just recently watched The Exorcist, sure i liked it, but i didnt find it scary. Ive always loved Stephen King, but im not much of a reader, so i only watch the movies. Some good ones by him are; the afformention It, Pet Cemetery 1 and 2, The Stand, The Shining, Carrie, Storm of the Century, and Sleepwalkers(the least scary out of all of them IMO) and thats all i can think of from him right now.

some others i have liked are Bram Stoker's Dracula, Ghost Ship, i get a good chuckle out of the Friday the 13th series, ummm...omg im surprised i cant think of anymore right now.....OH YEAH, Poltergheist...that movie F'in ruled, the second one was ok, the third one kinda sucked, Nightmare on Elm Street, Prom Night 2 Hello Mary-Lou(cheesy name but its actually pretty cool) oh...im stuck again...i know theres more....maybe ill edit them in later when i think of them
<xellos> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 01:03   Link #47
Chechirom

Question Favorite Scary Move?

What's your favorite scary movie?

Just got finished watching Scream 1 and 2 on tv (It's midnight on Halloween).
Anyway I'm getting back into anime and thus back into the anime forums thus my posting.

Anyhow whats your fav scary movie and why?

Mine would have to be "The Omen". If no one has seen it its about the early life of the Anti-christ. It's not the slasher genre in horror movies but rather it gives the same scary movie of the Shinning sort of. You know what is happening and its less dynamic if you know what i mean.
Chechirom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 04:52   Link #48
Diplomat
Traceur

Send a message via AIM to Diplomat Send a message via MSN to Diplomat
my favourite scary move is to sneak into a girl's bedroom and hid under her bed til she changes into her pjs, and then i jump out whilst she's nakes and do my "i was hiding under your bed" dance.
Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 05:10   Link #49
7thMethuselah

the original Alien : that movie had all a good horror scifi needs, a dark atmosphere, a distant location, an unknown deadly opponent, anyway I saw it the first time when I was like 10 and it scared the ** outta me

Another great horror movie was "the Thing" basically it has the same qualities as alien, remote location, weird events and scary .
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 13:12   Link #50
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
the original Alien : that movie had all a good horror scifi needs, a dark atmosphere, a distant location, an unknown deadly opponent, anyway I saw it the first time when I was like 10 and it scared the ** outta me
Hehe. Though it was a great film, I never found it that frightening. I suppose that's because I'd already seen the sequels first and was too seeped in the Alien x Predator x ET x Superman bastardization of the genre. A great movie though.
Quote:
Another great horror movie was "the Thing" basically it has the same qualities as alien, remote location, weird events and scary .
Wow, The only other person in the world who has seen the Thing!! I saw it after playing the game and found it quite creepy.
As for scary movies, I just saw "Dawn of the Dead" last nite (yes for Halloween) and found it rather amusing all the way through. The sheer stupidity of the movie made me wonder if it was really a horror movie or not. There was one scene, however, that disturbed me beyond belief.
Spoiler for don't read unless you've seen dotd:
I'm quite annoyed with the whole Hack'n-Slash genre that horror has been taking in the US. Instead of working out suspense or atmosphere into such films, the objective has become a challenge to show off how much gore or disturbing imagery can be poured into a single hour-long debacle. I'm quite glad that Hollywood has begun to shift back to the thriller class of horror movies like those of foreign origin (starting with the Ring, working through The Grudge, etc.) On that note, the scariest I can remember is probably this one old black-and-white Korean movie I saw when I was in third grade. I couldn't sleep for weeks after it!! (still can't recall the name, though the one scene of a pale woman in a white dress floating towards a hapless woodcutter is forever bruned in my memory ).
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 13:56   Link #51
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
I'm sure you mean the John Carpenter's version of "The Thing" and not the original 50's film.

The remake with not knowing who might be the thing and with body parts and such running around did make for a good movie. The original with a lumbering plant monster that couldn't move faster than a crawl, was rather boring.

I would also have to go with "The thing" and "Alien" also.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 14:17   Link #52
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Talking

When I was like 4 years old my parents took me to the drive in and we watched "The Incredible Melting Man". The title seems harmless enough but this movie scared the sh*t out of me. I couldn't sleep thinking this thing was coming to get me. And the scene with the Photo shoot and the hand still freaks me out..........

Short Synopsis
Spoiler:
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 21:25   Link #53
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Twister. I was like 5, it was late, and I got the shit scared out of me.

i dont think anything can compare with the mental scarring that that movie inflicted. even "the ring" seems tame, primarily because i knew the plot .
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 00:18   Link #54
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
Wow, The only other person in the world who has seen the Thing!! I saw it after playing the game and found it quite creepy.
Heh, are you kidding? Millions of people have seen that, it's a classic John Carpenter piece, much like The Fog, another of his films. Personally, I prefer The Thing of the two of them. Hopefully, more and more people will keep watching it too, as long as each generation remembers to look at more than just what's about today - too many people are dismissive of past or things that existed before they themselves existed, as if they're irrelevant or unimportant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
I'm quite annoyed with the whole Hack'n-Slash genre that horror has been taking in the US. Instead of working out suspense or atmosphere into such films, the objective has become a challenge to show off how much gore or disturbing imagery can be poured into a single hour-long debacle. I'm quite glad that Hollywood has begun to shift back to the thriller class of horror movies like those of foreign origin (starting with the Ring, working through The Grudge, etc.)
Well, there was a time when Hollywood produced some fantastic thriller and/or horror movies - film noir titles like The Third Man and Touch of Evil were examples of master suspense storytelling and Hitchcock did a great job of mixing thrillers with horror, making films like The Birds and Psycho, where it was all about atmosphere and pace. As the realm of the thriller seemed to shift to spy movies, and censorship became less of an issue, much horror started to be about gore and body counts, or sudden shocks rather than slow build-ups. Perhaps the MTV generation prefers a sudden boo to having to concentrate too much.

I have a list somewhere of the amount of horror remakes that are drifting about at the moment, I know Tom Cruise bought the rights to The Eye, The Ring has been remade, Ring 2 is being remade, Dark Water is being remade, The Haunting was (terribly) remade a few years back, Psycho was remade (quite badly too), Rear Window was remade a few times, Les Diaboliques was the subject of a terrible remake... There's plenty of good horror out there, but much of it isn't that modern or that recent or is foreign, and what is recent is less about atmosphere or suspense and more about shock, gore, or a metamorphasis of reality. If anyone out there wants to watch some good horror I simply recommend turning back the clock a little or heading abroad. Just because something's older than you or in another language doesn't mean it's not worth investigating.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 02:09   Link #55
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
The scariest movie I've seen would be It, based on a book by Stephen King. I was 6 years old when I saw it (Coincidentally, many posters on this thread watch the scariest movies they've watched to date when they were kids ) and it scared the crap out of me...Oh my gosh, I could remember a period (About a short week) where I didn't dare to trust anyone for fear that they may suddenly turn into a balding middle-aged clown and kidnap me >_<;
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 08:44   Link #56
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
Well, there was a time when Hollywood produced some fantastic thriller and/or horror movies - film noir titles like The Third Man and Touch of Evil were examples of master suspense storytelling and Hitchcock did a great job of mixing thrillers with horror, making films like The Birds and Psycho, where it was all about atmosphere and pace. As the realm of the thriller seemed to shift to spy movies, and censorship became less of an issue, much horror started to be about gore and body counts, or sudden shocks rather than slow build-ups. Perhaps the MTV generation prefers a sudden boo to having to concentrate too much.
Exactly. I'm well-aware of some fantastic older movies that do an amazing job (in fact, prior to the said development of slashers, that was standard fare). I also agree w/ u on Hitchcock. Birds and Psycho are some of the most amazing cinematic works I've seen, not to be placed on the same scale as the shallow gore-fests we see lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC
I have a list somewhere of the amount of horror remakes that are drifting about at the moment, I know Tom Cruise bought the rights to The Eye, The Ring has been remade, Ring 2 is being remade, Dark Water is being remade, The Haunting was (terribly) remade a few years back, Psycho was remade (quite badly too), Rear Window was remade a few times, Les Diaboliques was the subject of a terrible remake... There's plenty of good horror out there, but much of it isn't that modern or that recent or is foreign, and what is recent is less about atmosphere or suspense and more about shock, gore, or a metamorphasis of reality. If anyone out there wants to watch some good horror I simply recommend turning back the clock a little or heading abroad. Just because something's older than you or in another language doesn't mean it's not worth nvestigating.
SCC
I'm totally looking forward to Dark Water, and yes, the Haunting remake sucked amazingly.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 18:55   Link #57
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I always though of the Thing was a very popular horror movie, especially having Kirt Russle in it.
Anyway....

Man there's so many bad horror's, less good horror's and even fewer great horror's

But my all time favourite scary movies have to be... In no particular order.

Hellraiser.
The Shining.
Event Horizon.
Children of the corn.
The Hitcher.
Alien.
Poltergeist.
Mind ripper.
The Omen.

There's a lot more but I can't think right now. After seeing this thread I've just decided to stay in this weekend and have a Horrorthon!
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 20:00   Link #58
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
I always though of the Thing was a very popular horror movie, especially having Kirt Russle in it.
Anyway....

Man there's so many bad horror's, less good horror's and even fewer great horror's

But my all time favourite scary movies have to be... In no particular order.

Hellraiser.
The Shining.
Event Horizon.
Children of the corn.
The Hitcher.
Alien.
Poltergeist.
Mind ripper.
The Omen.

There's a lot more but I can't think right now. After seeing this thread I've just decided to stay in this weekend and have a Horrorthon!

I didn't really care for Event Horizon, but I think that came from the fact that how it was advertised I went to see it expecting a "hard" sci-fi move and it ended up being a horror movie. That and I can't watch Sam Neill now without expecting him to wig out and start eviscerating people.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 20:59   Link #59
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka
Coincidentally, many posters on this thread watch the scariest movies they've watched to date when they were kids
Coincidentally? after reading all this threads about movies Ive come to the conclusion that thsi horror flicks are aimed at kids, as everyone else I was a horror film junkie by the age of eight ^^ and imo its the only way to really enjoy this movies, with that childish innocence. I rewatch Nightmare on Elm Street, the Omen, It, etc, etc, and I found them dull and plotless, and I felt bad, I was like " I want to get scared again!, why oh god, why?"

But of course with this process I also could enjoy more other movies, like "psycho" or "the night of the living death" (both the original and the remake), when I watched them young, all I did was being scared, (not with psycho anyway, just shocked at the plot twists) but now I understand more little things, like how the most important thing in "the night of the living dead" wasnt the zombies, but how the protagonists acted and thus this actions lead them to their fates, I mean that girl has to have one of the best character devolpment Ive seen in a horror movie. And I also concluded that secuels = crap.

I couldnt pic a favorite, I couldnt! I have fond memories of all those clasic horror movies. From the recent ones I would only pick "the blair witch project", only because its format was orginal (at least for me, I dont know if there are many movies done that way) and I admit a got scared, and I liked that, rembering why I was so scared about horror films in the past.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 09:24   Link #60
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
...when I watched them young, all I did was being scared, (not with psycho anyway, just shocked at the plot twists) but now I understand more little things, like how the most important thing in "the night of the living dead" wasnt the zombies, but how the protagonists acted and thus this actions lead them to their fates, I mean that girl has to have one of the best character devolpment Ive seen in a horror movie. And I also concluded that secuels = crap.
Yes, many horror films have a subtext as well, such as Invasion of the Bodysnatchers being about the loss of identity and freedom that many people feared from Communism.

I agree about sequels too. There are very, very few decent horror sequels, most of them seem to degenerate into a terrible franchise that just won't die.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote