AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-11-18, 10:49   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 523 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 10:52   Link #2
marvelB

Spoilers summary's out:

-Only Luffy and Hancock are going to Impel Down. Luffy hides in Hancock's coat while she boards Momonga's ship.

-Meanwhile, at Marine HQ, Sengoku appears, and apparently mentions that Kizaru had arrested 500 pirates at Sabaody. It's also said that Jinbei is "running wild", and is not heeding the Shichibukai summons. It also looks like Whitebeard is on the warpath. Garp visits Ace in his cell in Impel Down. He's quite badly beaten.....

-We finally get updates on some other Straw-Hats! Nami is on a Sky Island(!) called Weatheria, an island that studies weather. Franky's at a mechanical island called Balzimonia, which brings forth geniuses. Sanji is on a women's island as well, the "Momoiro Island Kamabakka Kingdom", where everything is apparently pink, and the women are pure. However... Sanji attracted the attention of a bunch of okamas (y'know, like Mr. 2?).

-Whitebeard destroys the Marine ships sent to attack him. You also see his, Marco and Jozu's silhouettes. Apparently, Jinbei's silhouette is shown as well. The spoiler provider seems to think that Jinbei is a relative of Fisher Tiger, though they don't look alike....

Wow... this is sweet. But I'm surprised that it's just Luffy and Hancock alone going to Impel . Well, should still be interesting, at least. But man... how the heck did Kuma send Nami to a sky island? Also, I have a feeling that the "mecha island" that Franky was sent to is the same one from the Eneru ministory. As for Sanji.... to be honest, I'm not very surprised.

And so, Whitebeard strikes! Hope we get to see the rest of his commanders soon! There was also a spoiler pic of that part with Garp and Ace, and Ace certainly doesn't look too good. Y'know, with Garp at Impel Down, I wonder if HE'LL help Luffy bust Ace out of prison....?

And finally, after such a long time, Jinbei finally appears! As I said above, it seems that the provider of the spoilers thought that he may be a relative of Fisher Tiger. I certainly wouldn't rule out that theory myself. I wonder if Luffy and Hancock will meet him during their trip to Impel Down....?

All in all, awesome chapter, people.

Edit: Oh, I nearly forgot about the ministory! Looks like Spandam's finally reappeared, who's body is still wrapped in bandages. I guess we'll finally see what becomes of his position....

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-11-18 at 12:12.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 10:58   Link #3
Rurik
Golden

The most intreresting part here is that Nami and Franky were sent to a place were they could further advance their abbilities. in this case of Sanji... I guess he is going to advance his true Haki abbility...yes people, that is the famous haki abbility that transforms his eyes into hearts...

BTW, Luffy, is one lucky dog, He is hiding inside Boa's coat? that mean he is actually getting some contact???
Old 2008-11-18, 11:10   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
BTW, Luffy, is one lucky dog, He is hiding inside Boa's coat? that mean he is actually getting some contact???

Heh, that actually reminds of that one scene during the sea train portion of the Enies Lobby storyline, where Robin hides Usopp in a similar fashion. Maybe Luffy will even pretend to be Hancock's "arms", as well?

So... it looks like Kuma sent the crew to locations that pretty much serve to strengthen their abilities after all. Luffy's been sent to an island where the inhabitants can use Haki, Nami's at an island that specializes in studying weather, which will increase her navigational skills, and Franky's at a mechanical island which will result in him making new upgrades for his own cyborg body (and eventually Sunny). And Sanji.... well, maybe he'll learn Okama Kempo.

I'm still anticipating an update on Zoro and Usopp the most, though......

Edit: Had to edit my earlier post a bit. Looks like that part about 500 marines being sent to capture Jinbei was a mistranslation. It actually says that Kizaru had arrested 500 pirates. This probably means that the supernovas DID get arrested after all.....
Old 2008-11-18, 11:14   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
So... it looks like Kuma sent the crew to locations that pretty much serve to strengthen their abilities after all. Luffy's been sent to an island where the inhabitants can use Haki, Nami's at an island that specializes in studying weather, which will increase her navigational skills, and Franky's at a mechanicla island which will result in him making new upgrades for his own cyborg body (and eventually Sunny). And Sanji.... well, maybe he'll learn Okama Kempo.

I'm still anticipating an update on Zoro and Usopp the most, though......
Zoro and Ussop would definitely need some serious upgrade and more elaborate events to power them respectively.

Sanji's probably sent there to get him sick of women for a while so he actually concentrates on becoming stronger or something lol. I expected him to end in a gourmet island or something though.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 11:23   Link #6
marvelB

Heh, interestingly enough, info on Zoro actually appeared (dunno if it's real, though)! Apparently, Zoro is on Yoinka, a.... pig's island!? The king who rules the island is named Snout. If that's real, then.... hoo boy, I dunno what to think. Dunno how Zoro will learn to cut diamonds at an island like that....
Old 2008-11-18, 11:28   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Heh, interestingly enough, info on Zoro actually appeared (dunno if it's real, though)! Apparently, Zoro is on Yoinka, a.... pig's island!? The king who rules the island is named Snout. If that's real, then.... hoo boy, I dunno what to think. Dunno how Zoro will learn to be able to cut diamonds at an island like that....
If that's true, maybe its to show him that only pigs sleep as much as he does or something

He's probably there to realise some part of himself that needs to be changed.

Old 2008-11-18, 11:51   Link #8
seiji_kun

The sending 500 marines seems a mistranslation. It should be Kizaru captured 500 pirates. At least that's what I've read.

So Nami gets send to an island in specializing the weather, so no power up it seems but she will gain what it takes to master the future seas they'll cross. I wonder what kind of weird seas we're going to see and I thougth she was pretty top notch already in that field. That hurricane she predicted on their way to Drum Island?

Whitebeard and co sunk 23 ships, a little entrance wouldn't be cool would it. His ship is called Moby Dick, a legend riding a legend? Our first glimps of Whitebeard on the move. So promosing though it were probably just fodder, I think they probably did something like Garps "iron fist meteor shower"

Franky on an island that bring forth a genius, Vegapunk seems the first name to pop in your head then. He's got a better deal then what seems to be Bon Clay's former home. Don't tell me he'll get some kempo classes. But I do feel sorry for him while he's stuck at his hell Luffy's living his heaven. Hiding under Boa's mantle. But kind of surprised that they only call the shichibukais. Don't some of them got crews, if Moria would still had Odz they would've had said let him home? Jinbei rampaging ftw, can't wait till Luffy meet him at merman island? This chapter was beyond epic. Lets not forget Ace meeting up with Garp. Wonder what they'll talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
As interessting as this may be, I wonder how they are going to make it back "on time". I don't think it's very likely that all those islands are coincidentially in the same area, so we have to assume, that Kuma sent them all over the world, which ultimately means, that each of the members needs a different amount of time to make it back to their ship. (Unless Kuma appears again to bring them back).
And considering, that it took all of them, to get there in the first place, it should be a pretty hard thing for them to get there again alone.
I always found it obvious they wouldn't show up, I can't see how they could pass through the gates anyway. And it's not like Kuma has instant transmission. He ain't Goku, he has to sail to get to islands to. This only confirms it more to me that they won't be showing up and will be experiencing their own adventure so they mature more to be able to survive in the New World.
Old 2008-11-18, 12:00   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
So Nami gets send to an island in specializing the weather, so no power up it seems but she will gain what it takes to master the future seas they'll cross. I wonder what kind of weird seas we're going to see and I thougth she was pretty top notch already in that field. That hurricane she predicted on their way to Drum Island?

I always found it obvious they wouldn't show up, I can't see how they could pass through the gates anyway. And it's not like Kuma has instant transmission. He ain't Goku, he has to sail to get to islands to. This only confirms it more to me that they won't be showing up and will be experiencing their own adventure so they mature more to be able to survive in the New World.
Anything that Nami learnt about weather can be applied to her Clima Tact, it would definitely be a powerup experience for her.

I think they'll show up on the island though, when/if they hear about Ace's execution. They will know that Luffy would definitely go and help his brother.

And for Kuma, I don't think he needs to sail. He demonstrated teleporting back at Thriller Bark, he probably just touched himself to 'teleport' himself.

Old 2008-11-18, 12:01   Link #10
Rinji
Mew...
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Rinji
Quote:
Spoilers summary's out:

-Only Luffy and Hancock are going to Impel Down. Luffy hides in Hancock's coat while she boards Momonga's ship.
Wow, So Luffy's going along with the plan? That's new...

Quote:

-Meanwhile, at Marine HQ, Sengoku appears, and apparently mentions that Kizaru had arrested 500 pirates at Sabaody. It's also said that Jinbei is "running wild", and is not heeding the Shichibukai summons. It also looks like Whitebeard is on the warpath. Garp visits Ace in his cell in Impel Down. He's quite badly beaten.....
Ooohh looks like Logia CAN scar... must be Blackbeard's absorbing powers that did it...

Quote:

-We finally get updates on some other Straw-Hats!
YES~~~~~!!!!

Quote:

However... Sanji attracted the attention of a bunch of okamas (y'know, like Mr. 2?).
NUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Quote:
Wow... this is sweet. But I'm surprised that it's just Luffy and Hancock alone going to Impel . Well, should still be interesting, at least. But man... how the heck did Kuma send Nami to a sky island?
Well he usually asks where they want to go the most. For Perona it was a vacation spot. For Nami... well I guess she missed that place.

Quote:
As for Sanji.... to be honest, I'm not very surprised.

Nor am I -_-

Quote:

Edit: Oh, I nearly forgot about the ministory! Looks like Spandam's finally reappeared, who's body is still wrapped in bandages. I guess we'll finally see what becomes of his position....
Yeah, and I hope the next Ministory is a GRAVE STONE!!!!

Quote:
Heh, interestingly enough, info on Zoro actually appeared (dunno if it's real, though)! Apparently, Zoro is on Yoinka, a.... pig's island!? The king who rules the island is named Snout. If that's real, then.... hoo boy, I dunno what to think. Dunno how Zoro will learn to cut diamonds at an island like that....
You know what's scary? To me, that sounds something like Oda...
Rinji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 12:05   Link #11
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinji View Post
Well he usually asks where they want to go the most. For Perona it was a vacation spot. For Nami... well I guess she missed that place.
This time its chosen by Kuma not the characters themselves. Kuma sent her to a sky island, one of the many sky islands that exist in the world of One Piece.

This island happens to study weather.

Old 2008-11-18, 12:12   Link #12
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Anything that Nami learnt about weather can be applied to her Clima Tact, it would definitely be a powerup experience for her.
And here I was hoping Oda would bench her with the fights bye only upgrading her navagating skills. I didn't thougth it could be applied that way. Nice find, cause can't say I even thougth half of it.

Quote:
I think they'll show up on the island though, when/if they hear about Ace's execution. They will know that Luffy would definitely go and help his brother.
Those gates aren't a joke imo. Well future will tell but even Luffy needs a shichibukai to go through that gate, and he has to hide himself. They won't be able to force their way through that gate (at least I think so).

Quote:
And for Kuma, I don't think he needs to sail. He demonstrated teleporting back at Thriller Bark, he probably just touched himself to 'teleport' himself.
I never thougth of applying to himself. Would be awesome, but it would still take him far to long I think to all teleport them back to Impel Down. 8 of them, even if takes a day for each like it was with Luffy it will take to much himself.
Old 2008-11-18, 12:13   Link #13
Rinji
Mew...
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Rinji
Quote:
This time its chosen by Kuma not the characters themselves. Kuma sent her to a sky island, one of the many sky islands that exist in the world of One Piece.

Ah, well then if the Pig Island rumor for Zoro is wrong, then maybe he got sent back to his home village. I would sincerely like to see how he measures up to his old teacher. Even though I'm almost positive that he would completely rule over him, you never know, he is the master.
Rinji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 12:14   Link #14
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:

He sent them all off to get stronger, no? Well, Nami can use this opportunity to improve her clima-tact(I hope that's spelled properly). And Sanji's biggest weakness is his inability to fight women. That said; Why wouldn't he need to be sent to an island of women?
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 12:17   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtseisRagnarok View Post
He sent them all off to get stronger, no? Well, Nami can use this opportunity to improve her clima-tact(I hope that's spelled properly). And Sanji's biggest weakness is his inability to fight women. That said; Why wouldn't he need to be sent to an island of women?
I'm not really sure why you quoted me but:

I'm saying, yes, its not chosen by the characters themselves. Instead Kuma, being so almighty strong he is, saw the weaknesses in the crew and sent them off to places that will make them stronger. But then, we don't know the reason why Kuma wanted to do that. And that's tied to theories of Kuma related to Dragon, Kuma saw that Luffy had potential to become Pirate King and such.

Old 2008-11-18, 12:19   Link #16
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtseisRagnarok View Post
He isn't in a island full of women, he is in an island full of gays like Bon Clay = Mr 2. And Sanji will never strike a woman even if he dies. That's his kishido, you just don't change your kishido.
Old 2008-11-18, 12:20   Link #17
marvelB

Y'know, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the island that Sanji was sent to was Bon Clay's home. And if that part about Zoro being sent to a pig island is true, I'd love to see all the wacky hijinks he will get involved in with those porkers. Boy, would it be odd if Snout turned out to be that master swordsman that james0246 wanted to see so badly....
Old 2008-11-18, 12:23   Link #18
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Y'know, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the island that Sanji was sent to was Bon Clay's home. And if that part about Zoro being sent to a pig island is true, I'd love to see all the wacky hijinks he will get involved in with those porkers. Boy, would it be odd if Snout turned out to be that master swordsman that james0246 wanted to see so badly....
That sounds like something Oda would do... Reminds me of when Luffy and Sanji first met chopper....

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I meant with "coming back on time".
I don't expect them to be back before Ace's execution, or whatever happens instead; but sooner or later they have to come back to the ship, and somehow I can't really imagine Luffy (who seems to be the closest to the island) waiting for half a year (for example) for everyone to come back. Especially since after the events that are about to happen, he probably has to run for a while.
But if they are scattered around the world, they have to need a serious amount of time to gather again.
The start of a new adventure: Searching for his nakama.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 12:52   Link #19
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I think the loose ends will be connected starting this chapter. And, as expectedly unexpected, Oda did his information bombarding within a single chapter, giving updates on almost everyone.

On the islands, Nami really found a great place. Franky reached the island of a genius. Don't know who, but, Vegapunk is what I had always expected to hear. I don't know what Sanji is going to learn from the balled females, but, must be more than developing insight. Zoro, I am guessing should either get a new sword, or a new technique. No update on Usopp and Chopper yet, but, for Chopper, his deal is almost guaranteed. For Usopp. Bravery or deception, which will be his greatest strength. Bets are on bravery, but, he is the one who converts deception tactics into bravery, so who knows...Open to many possibilities.

Regarding Ace, I doubt the conversion will end in this chapter. At the least, as long as we get to know something about their past, about why Ace is using a different name, and Garp's real intentions, those should suffice for the next chapter.

And, there is no Shanks yet. I am still hoping for him to have some kind of impact within this Saving Portages Ace business.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 13:00   Link #20
seiji_kun

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I meant with "coming back on time".
I don't expect them to be back before Ace's execution, or whatever happens instead; but sooner or later they have to come back to the ship, and somehow I can't really imagine Luffy (who seems to be the closest to the island) waiting for half a year (for example) for everyone to come back. Especially since after the events that are about to happen, he probably has to run for a while.
But if they are scattered around the world, they have to need a serious amount of time to gather again.
Sorry then and I can't see them even all waiting at the Thousand Sunny either. He stuck them on islands where they could upgrade themself but they hardly have the time for it and it takes Luffy 6 days already when it looked relatively close for Luffy. Though I guess that's something maybe Kuma & Rayleigh handled in their conversation and that Kuma has it already all planned out that they'll be back in time.

But I'm more interested in Ace & Luffy then the strawhats tbh, how will he react if Whitebeard dies. Garp seems rather worried when he saw Ace. I hope he won't lecture him how he should've been a marine :P . Or how he could've been so stupid to be caught since now you'll have an idiot who's in panic and is stupid enough to break him out which he is doing of course.

Let alone that their could be a Luffy Garp confrontation, will Garp sacrifice himself and actually help them bye even going against his fellow marines in the end or will he just close his eyes like he did at W7.