AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-04, 12:53   Link #1
Solachinx
is a myth

Yen Press

So, what do you think of this (sort of) new publisher? I read some of their works, and it's pretty good.
Old 2009-04-04, 14:36   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've been following them for a couple of years ... SO FAR they appear to be taking the prudent path, that is, NOT the ADV/Tokypop path of hyperexpansion, big talk, poor customer relations, and latent collapse.

I enjoy a number of their titles and look forward to their summer/fall releases of various former Tokypop titles (Yotsuba, ARIA, etc). Might take a look at Soul Eater as well and even subscribe to their magazine.

Quality of what I own from Yen so far is acceptable --- I'm not *ultra* happy with the physical quality of most english translations from any company compared with their Japanese versions (paper, inking, etc).
Old 2009-04-05, 07:24   Link #3
KimmyChan

I wouldn't mind making a start on buying a series published by them called Sunshine Sketch

Plus my boyfriend is currently in the middle of buying, reading and collecting their series Spiral: The Bonds Of Reasoning too

They seem a pretty reputable manga company
Old 2009-04-05, 07:39   Link #4
nojay
Scanlator

One thing I've noticed about "foreign" releases of Japanese manga is that the publishers often don't use the original manga art. Instead they scan in pages and art from existing tankos and collections, clean it up digitally and reprint from that source after editing in English-language text. This two-step results in a certain loss of image quality, even with sharpening and extensive clean-up of the digital capture.

I don't know if Yen Press are doing that but it will be cheaper and less complicated than going back and trying to source the original artwork from the mangakas and publishers in Japan.
Old 2009-04-05, 07:45   Link #5
klowny
OH NO

i heard about them when i went to anime festival (pretty sure it's that one) and they were giving out a manga for free if you just give them your email address. I read the magazine and it was okay.

i took sunshine sketch that day and i loved it. i heard they were also going to release Yotsuba&! so i can't wait for that
Old 2009-04-05, 08:37   Link #6
nojay
Scanlator

"Sunshine Sketch" manga is what the anime series Hidamari Sketch is based on -- "hidamari" (ひだまり) is Japanese for sunshine.
Old 2009-04-05, 12:32   Link #7
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've been following them for a couple of years ... SO FAR they appear to be taking the prudent path, that is, NOT the ADV/Tokypop path of hyperexpansion, big talk, poor customer relations, and latent collapse.

I enjoy a number of their titles and look forward to their summer/fall releases of various former Tokypop titles (Yotsuba, ARIA, etc). Might take a look at Soul Eater as well and even subscribe to their magazine.

Quality of what I own from Yen so far is acceptable --- I'm not *ultra* happy with the physical quality of most english translations from any company compared with their Japanese versions (paper, inking, etc).
Yotsoba was never a TP release, and Yen do not have Aria, TP are still releasing it. Aria is currently one of their most profitable titles, they're actually planning a secoond print run of the first 4 vols.

As for their quality, they're the best in the market, with a few exceptions. You're never going to get japanese quality over here because the market isn't strong enough to support them, and fans wont pay the price for them. Considering Yen charge a very low price in general, the only complaints i have for them relate to guttering
Old 2009-04-05, 12:56   Link #8
yongshun

I just wish they release some of their mangas a little quicker but all in all I really like their mangas and they are one of the only companies that releases 4 komas.
Old 2009-04-05, 13:31   Link #9
alamarco
Why hello there!

First time I heard of them just now. From the look of their list nothing of interest except when October roles around. Seems like they're the ones getting Soul Eater, so that'll definitely be my first look at Yen Press.

It's good to hear positive experiences from them.
Old 2009-04-05, 15:02   Link #10
holyalexander
holy alexander

im looking forward on the release of their mangas..
Old 2009-04-05, 16:22   Link #11
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
First time I heard of them just now. From the look of their list nothing of interest except when October roles around. Seems like they're the ones getting Soul Eater, so that'll definitely be my first look at Yen Press.

It's good to hear positive experiences from them.

I read Higurashi: When They Cry, Black God, and Sunshine Sketch from them, and they're pretty good. The only other title I read from them is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it's pretty good, but it's not a priceless gem.

What I like about Yen Press is that they're one of the few publishers I've read that includes ALL the swearing (from Hell to F***), unlike some OTHER publishers I know (you know who you are).
Old 2009-04-05, 21:17   Link #12
alamarco
Why hello there!

That's good to hear, any company which isn't censor happy is a good company in my books.

Did you really enjoy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? I heard really bad things about the manga, and that really put me off in looking into it. How's it compare to the anime or the light novels? I put an order in for the light novel already, just waiting for the shipment.
Old 2009-04-06, 03:50   Link #13
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
That's good to hear, any company which isn't censor happy is a good company in my books.

Did you really enjoy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? I heard really bad things about the manga, and that really put me off in looking into it. How's it compare to the anime or the light novels? I put an order in for the light novel already, just waiting for the shipment.
TMoHs isn't THAT great of a title, but it's still pretty good IMO.

~Art: It's not Noizi Ito, but it's good for the manga. It annoyed me that Kyon was in chibi-ish for for all of vpl. 1 and most of 2, but the art takes a DRAMATIC change during the last chapter of Vol. 2 (A Really good change). The other SOS Brigade members (esp. Koizumi) have taken SOME liberties in their design, but you can still tell who's who.

~Story: The same story from Melancholy we all know and love, but there is *some* reorder. Now, the Ryoko Asakura fight, which oeiginally took place on the day which Haruhi said "love is a mental illness," now takes place before Mikuru is introduced (and that in itself is mixed around). Many people complain about this, but I like it because it offers a different telling of the story that I've heard so many times, I could recite it like Shakespeare. This help reduce redundancy, which I like.

So, if I had to give it a rating: 3.5/5. Not a golden jem, but it's not bad, either.
Old 2009-04-06, 08:18   Link #14
alamarco
Why hello there!

Thanks for the good review, definitely helps explains some of the negativity surrounding the release.
Old 2009-04-06, 14:16   Link #15
Alchemist007
*Author

I preordered Sumomomo momomo from them. Guess I'll have a sort of review in comparison to the raw version come May.
Old 2009-04-06, 15:39   Link #16
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I preordered Sumomomo momomo from them. Guess I'll have a sort of review in comparison to the raw version come May.
Sumommo has been running since august last year in Yen+ if you're interested in it read that. I like it, it cute and funny, but nothing hugely impressive
Old 2009-04-07, 10:51   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
Yotsoba was never a TP release, and Yen do not have Aria, TP are still releasing it. Aria is currently one of their most profitable titles, they're actually planning a secoond print run of the first 4 vols.

As for their quality, they're the best in the market, with a few exceptions. You're never going to get japanese quality over here because the market isn't strong enough to support them, and fans wont pay the price for them. Considering Yen charge a very low price in general, the only complaints i have for them relate to guttering
You're partially right... I was too shorthand in typing and meant to say "and ADV".
Yotsuba was an ADV title --> lost to Yen.
There was that Diamond distributing scuffle in January on low volume titles that ARIA got caught up in.
ARIA volume 5 came out March 10 according to Barnes&Noble. Interestingly, there's no mention of volume 5 at all on the TP website. update: ah, amazon notes volume 6 is available for pre-order to release 2Jun09.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+manga&x=0&y=0

Latest noise I can find is here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ructure-update

Got a link on their announcement to do a second printing? Or that "more profitable title" status? Strikes me as a bit strange given I had to spend several minutes at their website to even find evidence they owned ARIA This should probably be discussed over in the sister thread on Tokyopop.

Anyway --- whatever Yen ends up with, so far I'm reasonably happy with their business behavior.
Old 2009-04-07, 10:52   Link #18
typhonsentra

I skimmed through a few issues, pick them up periodically but I'm not too into any of the content so far.
Old 2009-04-07, 21:44   Link #19
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
Sumommo has been running since august last year in Yen+ if you're interested in it read that. I like it, it cute and funny, but nothing hugely impressive
What's Yen+? The Yen Press website and the place I preordered it from says its coming in May
Old 2009-04-08, 00:02   Link #20
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Yen+ is Yen PRess' monthly anthology, if you look on the website and click the big hug green button marked magazine. The tank version is due in may, but they're already upto vol2 i think in the anthology
Closed Thread