AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-05-08, 14:59   Link #401
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Now that Lena is in the know, I wonder what she'll do with this information? How will other Alba react to this news? Obviously I suspect that they will take it as hogwash, as the "ghosts in the machines" can't actually be proven. They also don't take any data from the battles anyway, so they won't be able to conclude anything with basis. Things like death rate increases, enemy-employed strategies, etc, that could anticipate the Legion overrunning the 86 aren't documented(from my understanding) so it'll be an uphill battle for the Alba to properly respond to this information.
I could see the Albans writing it off as the rantings of a desperate and spiteful Eighty-Six when they confidently believe the war will be over without any (Alban) casualties.

I mean, maybe Lena's uncle might listen but I'm not sure if he could do anything with it. Ditto Annette.
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 14:59   Link #402
grecefar
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blue Notes Blues
That was a lot of info, I was really hooked with this chapter this is getting good. Now I know why those handlers before lena retired or commit suicide.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 18:35   Link #403
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 35
Huh, so Shin's ability does seem supernatural in nature, unless it's a side-effect of using the para-RAID for so long, since he's apparently the only 86 to have survived 5 years. I'm surprised he hasn't gone crazy from constantly hearing all those voices in his head. You'd need some incredible mental fortitude to not go insane from that.

Why did the Albas never think of investigating the reason the handlers of Spearhead kill themselves? Simply listening to the logs would give them the answer, and reveal the horrifying truth. But I guess they're so retarded they don't even keep logs, right? It seems a lot of the premise hinges on the Albas being retarded. Yes, at this point it stops being arrogance and racism, it's plain stupidity. I really don't like it. I do however enjoy the irony that their alleged "unmanned drones" they're so proud of will be the source of their undoing. If the Juggernauts were truly unmanned, they would have probably won already, instead they're only strengthening the Legion.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 18:44   Link #404
Kakurin
大佐
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Why did the Albas never think of investigating the reason the handlers of Spearhead kill themselves? Simply listening to the logs would give them the answer, and reveal the horrifying truth. But I guess they're so retarded they don't even keep logs, right? It seems a lot of the premise hinges on the Albas being retarded. Yes, at this point it stops being arrogance and racism, it's plain stupidity.
They did investigate if you remember what Annette mentioned in episode 1. The main thing they did not do is bring in Shin for questioning. However, any log wouldn't tell you anything more than what appears to be a Handler suddenly just going mental and starting to scream. You can't really record the content of what's heard via the Para-Raid. It's sensory synchronization, not electronic data / radio waves which can't make it past the jamming of the Eintagsfliege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
That was a lot of info, I was really hooked with this chapter this is getting good. Now I know why those handlers before lena retired or commit suicide.
Unlike Lena those Handlers had to sit through the entire thing until the combat was over if they did not manage to disconnect themselves since Shin obviously had no reason whatsoever to show any amount of care for them.
__________________
Kakurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 20:03   Link #405
Xiyon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Why did the Albas never think of investigating the reason the handlers of Spearhead kill themselves? Simply listening to the logs would give them the answer, and reveal the horrifying truth. But I guess they're so retarded they don't even keep logs, right? It seems a lot of the premise hinges on the Albas being retarded. Yes, at this point it stops being arrogance and racism, it's plain stupidity. I really don't like it. I do however enjoy the irony that their alleged "unmanned drones" they're so proud of will be the source of their undoing. If the Juggernauts were truly unmanned, they would have probably won already, instead they're only strengthening the Legion.
I... don't think they were suicides after this episode. Remember how there was an observer while Lena was giving a talk to the new recruits, and how nervous the teacher was when Lena went off-script?

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think the higher ups in the country know the truth, decided they're doomed, and are happy to go the hospice route, which includes silencing the ones that know the truth.
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 20:26   Link #406
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Oh, this is getting really interesting. I'm glad that they're getting away from IBO and entering the Akito/Muv-Luv teritory now just like Lambdalith said to me some pages ago.

The plot of this episode itself is not very special for me to talk much about except for Shin's dowright supernatural-ish ability to hear the Legion and channeling it via the Para-link. Gotta say, that is one heck of a skill to get back at your oppressors/discriminators in this setting, but the skill owner had to deal with hearing ghosts' voices all the time (kinda like Guts from Berserk).

Speaking of Legion, aside from Muv-Luv's BETA, they pretty much took some elements from Starship's Trooper's Brain Bug where they suck out human brains to get smarter to command their army better. I really want to see the process though. Watching Legion drones getting human brains and apply them on themselves should make for an interesting scene. Maybe I'll get it in future episodes. I don't think they need to censor it either considering that shows like Psycho-Pass can get away with it.

Also, I need to talk about the BGM in this show, particularly for the quieter moments where characters are telling their sob stories. Sawano used to be able to ease in some soft music into the moment (eg. Gundam Unicorn, Sengoku Basara, Blue Exorcist) but for some of his latter anime (eg. Seven Deadly Sins, Seraph of the End, Kabaneri) I noticed that his sob music felt slapped on to the scene. You know the feeling: it feels like watching a talk show when the guest stars are telling their sob stories while the resident-pianist heavy-handedly accompany it with a sob score. It feels "fake" or "not earnest", but maybe that's just me who's being sensitive about this stuff.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 21:26   Link #407
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
They managed to dump a lot of info this time, especially the ironic twist that the Legion won't shut down in 2 years all thanks to the Alba providing them fresh brains. In a weird way, the 86 that were sent to the front lines are sort of getting their revenge.
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 22:37   Link #408
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Ohh, so that person that died a couple of episodes back is that ponytail girl. I just realized there is a shot in the OP for the dead characters.
__________________

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 22:40   Link #409
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
They did investigate if you remember what Annette mentioned in episode 1. The main thing they did not do is bring in Shin for questioning. However, any log wouldn't tell you anything more than what appears to be a Handler suddenly just going mental and starting to scream. You can't really record the content of what's heard via the Para-Raid. It's sensory synchronization, not electronic data / radio waves which can't make it past the jamming of the Eintagsfliege.
Given how the Republic treats the Eighty-Six, it's probably safer for Shin that they don't know about his ability.

He's lucky Lena is the first one to learn about it and probably sees it for what it is as both an asset and a curse for Shin without it completely breaking her.
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-08, 23:23   Link #410
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
I see that Shin doesn't really believe that they'll let him retire.

Well, I'm not really sure whether he would even be willing to leave. His unit probably wouldn't survive without him.

Then again, him returning to the republic might be the next phase of the story.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 00:06   Link #411
Random14
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
So on top of being child soldiers for a country that doesn't view them as human, he literally hears the voices of the dead too (or something like that). And now its clear how their group has been able to operate as they have.

So that's what happened to all the previous Handlers, and yeah, its so crazy sounding that no one would believe it even if it was put in a report. Not that anyone read Shin's reports for years anyway, and the previous Handlers probably didn't bother with the paperwork either, considering how all the Alba (aside from Lena) treat the war.

Even after all that Lena's still pretty naive, but then she is still adapting. She's still only a Major "commanding" one group, even if she ramps up her efforts even more, not like she can "win" the war anytime soon. At least she survived that particular experience, enough to reconnect later.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 03:13   Link #412
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Huh, so Shin's ability does seem supernatural in nature, unless it's a side-effect of using the para-RAID for so long, since he's apparently the only 86 to have survived 5 years. I'm surprised he hasn't gone crazy from constantly hearing all those voices in his head. You'd need some incredible mental fortitude to not go insane from that.

Why did the Albas never think of investigating the reason the handlers of Spearhead kill themselves? Simply listening to the logs would give them the answer, and reveal the horrifying truth. But I guess they're so retarded they don't even keep logs, right? It seems a lot of the premise hinges on the Albas being retarded. Yes, at this point it stops being arrogance and racism, it's plain stupidity. I really don't like it. I do however enjoy the irony that their alleged "unmanned drones" they're so proud of will be the source of their undoing. If the Juggernauts were truly unmanned, they would have probably won already, instead they're only strengthening the Legion.
Only way, investigation could find out truth is if Shun told them, and until this point there were literally no point for him to cooperate...
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 06:51   Link #413
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I could see the Albans writing it off as the rantings of a desperate and spiteful Eighty-Six when they confidently believe the war will be over without any (Alban) casualties.

I mean, maybe Lena's uncle might listen but I'm not sure if he could do anything with it. Ditto Annette.
Right and this whole info would negatively affect their propaganda too. With no real proof its far easier them just dismiss the whole thing especially if the source is from a 86.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 08:36   Link #414
Last Sinner
Fear Inoculum
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 40
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Well, Episode 5 certainly got things going and then some...

Justification of why Lena is the way she is. Justification of why Shin is what he is. Stakes that give a valid reason for Lena to continue her path.

Still, two things frustrate me. One, Lena and Shin are 90-95% of this series. I could hardly remember another character. Secondly, there's hardly any world building yet. Certainly this episode addresses some things but...the Alban leaders in particular? Are the Alban leaders really going to be that stupid to just do nothing themselves? This all feels like it's stalling for whatever they have as their ace in the hole to be ready.

However, what it has done right so far is give reasons to care about those involved. Which is why I'll continue.
__________________

The greatest Ghibli anime ever was Spiritfarer. Think about it.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 10:03   Link #415
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
Even after all that Lena's still pretty naive, but then she is still adapting. She's still only a Major "commanding" one group, even if she ramps up her efforts even more, not like she can "win" the war anytime soon. At least she survived that particular experience, enough to reconnect later.
There's only so much she can do even with just Spearhead, but it would dishonor her ideals and how far they've all come if they just gave up and let the Legion win without even trying, so I can see why she's committed to not giving up (and making sure Shin doesn't either) .

I feel like this episode did a good job of showing how resilient Lena is, even with her naivety and idealism .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Still, two things frustrate me. One, Lena and Shin are 90-95% of this series. I could hardly remember another character. Secondly, there's hardly any world building yet. Certainly this episode addresses some things but...the Alban leaders in particular? Are the Alban leaders really going to be that stupid to just do nothing themselves? This all feels like it's stalling for whatever they have as their ace in the hole to be ready.
Well, Shin and Lena are the core of the story and the leads, so I can't say they're not doing that right (although I like the other Eighty-Six too) .
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 10:21   Link #416
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Hmm...is it just me...but how can Shin, the 86, can cut off the sync at his own will?? He is just an "86" after all...well I assume the commander can always sync it back at will so it's not a big deal

Another thing is that the 5 year military service is so fishy...that war has been going on for six years...so there got to be some who made it alive and finished the service, yet you don't see 1 single person on the street who doesn't have silver hair. To top it off, with the education and propaganda that 86 is not a human being. How can they survive as a normal citizen in that country anyway....all signs point to a bleak outcome to the 86s if they finish their service I am afraid
__________________
Come and join Ranka Lee Fanclub !!! Join our club and you will see
1)Ranka pics 2)Ranka/Alto pic 3)Relatively Sane discussion about Ranka 4)amv for Ranka
To all old and new Sheryl fans:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 10:26   Link #417
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Just because war is going for 6 years doesn't mean anyone involved ever survived for 5 years.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 10:28   Link #418
justavisitor
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
of course that may happen, but there got to be some lucky ones, won't they? Not even one???
__________________
Come and join Ranka Lee Fanclub !!! Join our club and you will see
1)Ranka pics 2)Ranka/Alto pic 3)Relatively Sane discussion about Ranka 4)amv for Ranka
To all old and new Sheryl fans:
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 11:14   Link #419
Frontier
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Hmm...is it just me...but how can Shin, the 86, can cut off the sync at his own will?? He is just an "86" after all...well I assume the commander can always sync it back at will so it's not a big deal
I'm pretty sure linking via Para-Raid goes both ways, so they can break the link if they need to or just turn it off. Like how Kurena was the only one who wouldn't synch with Lena during their nighttime talks.
__________________
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 15:08   Link #420
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
So, among all the other things Shin undertaker duty apparently is not just keep the dog tags, but it's far more heavy, he has to make sure Legion doesn't recover the brains of the dead soldiers. But he didn't manage to accomplish it with Kaie, much to his surprise. They asked him if he didn't torch her together with the Juggernaut. Headshot probably is not enough.
Speaking of the voices this explain why he always reads, and also how he still able to chat at the same time.

The republic needs to have some good hidden agenda, since as of now they look quite retarded as already mentioned. The 2 years deadline date felt already quite unrealistic to begin with, and in fact it was completely BS.

Anyways the pace is working pretty well and for the future I wouldn't mind to see the war to spread into the walls.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
harem, mecha, politics, sci-fi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.