AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-02-03, 18:08   Link #3381
Miraploy

Yes, Suzaku is a great character. What's this worst character nonsense.
Miraploy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 18:16   Link #3382
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
That "poll" is kinda weird, but yeah, Suzaku as worst chara is even worse than seeing Zero as a villain. I mean, srsly. :x
I agree. The moment the staff dropped Gino's development with Suzaku, the moment his character failed in my opinion along with many other things.

I'm not an Suzaku fan but I don't know what's makes him one of the worst characters in R2.
Old 2009-02-03, 18:19   Link #3383
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

I say we push Ranka up to worst character since she's closest behind Suzaku.

Btw. Currently, Geass is beating Macross by 1 vote in Mecha/SciFi, It is Beating Spice and Wolf by 7 in Storyline. It's 4th in Visual/Animation. It's tied with ARIA The Origination for 3rd in Soundtrack. Lelouch is in the lead by 30 votes. C.C. is 3rd. Zero is 2nd. and Suzaku is first by 5 votes. That's all in their designated catagories.

@ SonofHeaven
Gino was nominated. So were Marianne and Charles.

Spoiler for O.o:

And to your other thing. Becauss he's against Lelouch. Also cause he's a hypocrite.
Sonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 18:26   Link #3384
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

So Suzaku ended up being the one chosen over Gino or Marianne as worst CG character. Wow.
Old 2009-02-03, 18:30   Link #3385
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHeaven View Post
So Suzaku ended up being the one chosen over Gino or Marianne as worst CG character. Wow.
Yep.

Marianne should have been up there. They fucked up her character BIG time!
Old 2009-02-03, 18:48   Link #3386
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHeaven View Post
I'm not an Suzaku fan but I don't know what's makes him one of the worst characters in R2.
Well there are people who just hate his personality, but than there is the others who hate just for the fact he is against Lelouch.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 18:52   Link #3387
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Well there are people who just hate his personality, but than there is the others who hate just for the fact he is against Lelouch.
I already said that.
Old 2009-02-03, 19:38   Link #3388
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
but is it worst character as in suzaku was a scrappy ?
or is it that he was very poorly written ?
what does this poll suggest
Old 2009-02-03, 19:40   Link #3389
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

I think they just dislike him. Cause either are nominated.
Old 2009-02-03, 19:45   Link #3390
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

but thats my question
is it becouse they dont like the character or becouse they dont like how he was written
i disliked marianne becouse she was piss poorly written
i hated bradly and mao
but i hated them becouse they were unlikable characters (and intended to be such)
which one is this poll about
Old 2009-02-03, 19:46   Link #3391
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
but is it worst character as in suzaku was a scrappy ?
or is it that he was very poorly written ?
what does this poll suggest
Considering that usually very poorly written leads to being a scrappy its both.

I find quite a bit of people like Mao, he was well written, interesting, and unique in a series that tended to go towards the cliche.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 20:05   Link #3392
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

alot of people seem to like clovis for some reason
apperently he was given more characterization using added matirial
during the show proper however i never liked him and never gave him a second thougt after lelouch killed him
and i never liked mao and never really saw what other people saw in him (within the show proper)

suzaku on the other hand a huge role in the plot (probably 2nd most importent) and while i liked some parts about his character there was alot about him in season 2 that just strack me as bad writing
he started off as something of an immoral jerk in the first few eps and then started to go back and forth between likeble anti-villain and jerkass knight templar
and the biggest wall banger for me was that he ended up having a mental breakdown and finally resloved to do what ever it takes to achive HIS goals
and then join lelouch the very next ep (completely forsaking his own goal)
but then most of the last arc made very little sense as well

if i have to say it i would say that i found him to be more poorly written (in season 2) then out right a scrappy
Old 2009-02-04, 00:58   Link #3393
Nobodyman9
Banned

Eh, screw their poll. We'll have our own poll and it'll have blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the poll.

Seriously though, I would not nominate Suzaku for Worst Character in any sense of the term. I mean sure, he fell prey to lousy writing a fair number of times, but he doesn't deserve all the hate he gets and is one of the most underrated/underappreciated characters in CG. So yeah, I would definitely choose Gino or Charles or Marianne over Suzaku. Oh, how about Ougi?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 04:14   Link #3394
Frostfire
No Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Eh, screw their poll. We'll have our own poll and it'll have blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the poll.

Seriously though, I would not nominate Suzaku for Worst Character in any sense of the term. I mean sure, he fell prey to lousy writing a fair number of times, but he doesn't deserve all the hate he gets and is one of the most underrated/underappreciated characters in CG. So yeah, I would definitely choose Gino or Charles or Marianne over Suzaku. Oh, how about Ougi?
Ougi, while easily hateable, did not suffer from bad writing that did not affect pretty much the enterity of the show and the Order (outside of more or less just Kallen). That was their "anything" goes ignorance for when things suited them and they were, from the start, written like a pack of mules with no personal intelligence or competance outside the select few with names that started with T and ended with odou.

So they never fell into bad character writing, at best a sloppy and poorly presented turn of events. Todou is, of any real measure, the only person who rightfully could have had grounds on which to turn against Zero. The others were always blind, deaf, and dumb when following Zero and so their sudden abrupt change cannot come off as much more than a wtf-moment to drive the plot. They were presented, through and through, as a pack of idiots with Ougi at the forefront. ("Who's the bigger fool, the fool or the ones following him.") They were idiots when they lapped up everything Zero did and said for them without second thought (Todou and the four holy swords being the only exception) and then tossing him away without second thought when Schneizel made them wet their pants.

Idiots from the start, idiots at the end. If anything, they had pretty solid character development... as idiots en masse.

Charles suffered from a complete and unilateral reversal of his character. The man was never, and I mean never, presented as a good parent in season 1. Not a single time. He did not bat an eyelash at Clovis' death, he laughed at Euphemia's, and in general did not care what his children did. He even used his daughter as a pawn against his son and put him, easily, in a situation where he could have been killed. His totalitarian darwinistic rule even goes as far as to completely contradict itself in R2. The man tells everyone to work and lie and cheat their way through everything, that they are superior. Yet, for some reason, his deep down goal is to make everyone stop doing those things and love one another... I'm sorry. Wtf? And suddenly, he's a loving father? Sending his children into a country and then invading it was somehow turned into a loving act. In Season 1 it was clearly presented that Nunally, Lelouch, and Suzaku, survived by the skin of their teeth, by chance. Yet in R2 it is presented as "just as planned"?

Marianne.
Need I really go into this?

Anya had no role in the show other than to give us loli and a carrier for Marianne. She had no actual personal character development. She could have been a dog in the mansion and the end effect would have been the same. She just wouldn't provide loli and a mecha that did nothing but blow up four things. It could have ended even better with Orange taking care of his new dog! Imagine. She was, suffice to say, a useless character.

Gino had no role either. If anything he was a stand in for Kallen's father to question her loyalty. Outside of that his actions flip flopped from episode to episode, as if the writers had no idea what they were doing with him. Probably amounting to the fact that he was, if nothing more, inserted just to please CLAMP. Unlike Anya who carried something that eventually drove the plot, he carried nothing. He wanted to wipe out the japanese in one episode, then he's chummy with them the next. He gets pissy for picking on the weak, then he goes ahead and picks on the weak. The entire city is blown to kingdomcome and he only worries about the school. He picks up a plot line about Suzaku's smile... only to forget about it the instant Suzaku does exactly what Schneizel did. Yet for some reason he gets chummy with Schneizel. My personal favorite contradiction for his character, though, is his monologue to Suzaku in the Damocles. "I liked the old system better." The system that: picked on the weak, enslaved the japanese, and the system Schneizel does not represent and made painfully clear to you when he had you at gun point after his own coup.

I'd actually throw him into the bin of idiots.

The only KoR that actually had character development and did anything were Bismark and Luciano. They were real, fleshed out deep characters. Luciano died expectedly and foreseably, Bismark just got scrapped like a nobody by a complete deus ex machina.

Suzaku in comparison to the above listed is like a golden statue among a pile of manure. But people will not realise this because: Suzaku opposed Lelouch (that bastard!) and Suzaku killed Lelouch (THAT F***ing BASTARD!).
Frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 04:15   Link #3395
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I never could stand Mao. Hated him from the start. Even more than Nina or the foul Rolo.
Old 2009-02-04, 04:37   Link #3396
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post

The only KoR that actually had character development and did anything were Bismark and Luciano. They were real, fleshed out deep characters. Luciano died expectedly and foreseably, Bismark just got scrapped like a nobody by a complete deus ex machina.
Luciano? Come on, the guy had no development other than one-two lines. Gino and Anya were totally ahead in the development-field.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 04:42   Link #3397
azul120

I sense Shirley angst!

Not that I mind. I was royally pissed over Shirley's death, just because Rolo was feeling insecure over not being Lelouch's one true sibling.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 04:45   Link #3398
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
I sense Shirley angst!

Not that I mind. I was royally pissed over Shirley's death, just because Rolo was feeling insecure over not being Lelouch's one true sibling.
That was the whole point of Shirley's death and it was really frustrating. She did not die doing something "worthwhile", she was just caught up in the fire of Rolo's unstable mind. It was really ugh. :x
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 04:56   Link #3399
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
That was the whole point of Shirley's death and it was really frustrating. She did not die doing something "worthwhile", she was just caught up in the fire of Rolo's unstable mind. It was really ugh. :x
And you all wonder why I'm so uptight.

Well, not that Rolo, Mao or Nina were particularly likeable characters in the first place. Nina's a semi-psychotic bigot. Mao is a completely psychotic mind-raper. And Rolo...well, you could probably write a book on the things that are wrong with Rolo. And one thing these three all have in common is that they're obsessed with someone (seems to be a trend).

Even so, I actually liked Mao because he was pretty badass at what he did, and he was one of the few people to pwn Lelouch (if only for a little while). And, as strange as it may sound, I think I could like Rolo and sympathize with him because of his desire to be loved, to protect Lelouch, and for his own independence. If he could just get a moral compass (killing is WRONG Rolo!) and apologize for killing Shirley I think I'd be set.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 05:17   Link #3400
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

I am sorry I have to tell you this Frost. But Gino did have a purpose.

Spoiler:

BTW what's this poll ? Cause well, Suzaku disappointed me a few times (Turn 5 R2 ...) but to be the worse character ever -_-''...Marianne should won over him and a bunch of people in the serie.
Ah well...Suzaku was Lelouch's enemy so of course...

Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote