AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-21, 14:58   Link #421
HandofFate

Alrite episode. The Mother didn't have as much screentime as I thought she would.
While she sure didn't do anything to help her character, imo she does have a few regrets at abandoning her daughter. With the line that if they meet eachother, they just hurt eachother again. So like Kotoura, she made a barrier between them so neither of them will suffer more.

Looking forward to next episode, looks like a standard "sick visit" & "date" episode.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:33   Link #422
ookamigirl

Manabe and Haruka's grandpa are really similar.
Both of them are equally perverted LOL
When Manabe fed Moritani her food I totally ROFL-ed
Moritani's cooking is dangerous on many levels.
Pretty fun episode this time.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:45   Link #423
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
The way i see it, kotoura will not forgive get mother because to her there is nothing to forgive. She blames herself for everything that has happened. She will be more than happy to have her parents back. Kotoura is a weird girl like that.
Well, I think, from Kotoura's perspective, you are right. I admit that I have been projecting my morals on what I think she should do regarding her mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are you talking about Ristorante Paradiso? If so, I'd agree with you that the matter is glossed over in that story.
Nope, haven't watched that. Not wanting to induce spoilers, I'll just say that it was just last season, ending in December.

Quote:
I think how Manabe enters the relationship between Kotoura and her mother could be quite interesting. On the one hand, he would do anything to protect Kotoura, but if he really does want to stay with her over the long haul, they will both have to find some accommodation with her mother, if such a thing is even possible.
I am hoping that, if necessary, Manabe will show his manliness in dealing with Kotoura's mom. But I do disagree that he and Kotoura would have to find any accomodation with her mother. They could tell her to buzz off and never have anything to do with her again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
While she sure didn't do anything to help her character, imo she does have a few regrets at abandoning her daughter. With the line that if they meet eachother, they just hurt eachother again.
My interpretation is different. I didn't notice any regrets emanating from Kotoura's mom. It all seemed very one-sided to me, mom not wanting to be involved with her daughter because she didn't want to get hurt by her again. Really, did she look or act like a woman who had any positive feelings about her own daughter? Did she look or act like she was going to retract her last sentence to her daughter?

Quote:
So like Kotoura, she made a barrier between them so neither of them will suffer more.
Huh? When did Kotoura ever erect a barrier between herself and her mom?

The most significant things that this episode did for me were that I liked Kotoura's mom even less than before (though how that is possible I don't know), and, the more I see of her, the more I like Moritani. Mom's attitude toward her daughter hasn't changed one iota in the ten(?) years since she last saw her, but Moritani has changed trememdously in a matter of a month or so.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:48   Link #424
Kreceir

NSFW
Mufine Yuriko Bikini
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-02-21, 16:31   Link #425
Dark Wing

You see people it's not all about the suffering an drama but how one is able to over come that and learn to open up and live.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:58   Link #426
Solafighter
Hige

I really expected worse things to happen but this episode is relativly good.

Though, Manabe not reacting to Kotoura's phone calls three days straight? Very suspicious.
Old 2013-02-21, 17:07   Link #427
Dop
Mmmm....

Not quite the drama I'd been expecting (Kotoura's mother for 'end of season boss', I think), but enjoyable. What was IN Moritani's food, or had it just fermented while she was making it?
Moritani's studying techniques leave something to be desired.

A good fun episode, overall!

The reference to steam and beams of light in the trailer were brilliant, I thought,
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 20:54   Link #428
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ep.7

manabe & kotoura's grandpa want hot spring so much keep digging til hit oil & then manabe got "hangover" due hiyori's food which hiyori also eat.

head priest talk to kotoura's grandpa about the "mom" give still bitter yet she said kotoura will lose it all.

next day time to head back kotoura & priest have little talk in room about mention the "mom" & soon all will be fine.

manabe being "hmm" with bear suit & etc give kotoura look at pres' past how she met daichi & help hiyori's homework.

which tada manabe been ready for kotoura's b-day with cake & all give happy time.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 21:52   Link #429
HandofFate

I really like the sudden increase in Yuriko trying to get Daichi's attention.
Also the little flashback as well. Good old childhood friends pairings.
Old 2013-02-21, 22:16   Link #430
garbage

ahaha such fun episode again
ahaha no wonder grandpa's so friggin rich, he's a natural wealth magnet! , striking oil in the backyard awts! supernatural powers runs in their blood. Hmm the mother, can't quite get her yet, though it seems there is a bit of heart in her with the line " we'll just end up hurting each other more"

speaking of which muroto is right, Moritani must be part of that family, such cooking ^^she can get rich with that, who needs weed when they got moritani cooking for them
and to get to that morning part ... Kotoura + Mortani nekid in bed , i think i'll gladly eat moritani's cooking So funny in Manbe's imagination , Moritani's not offering a marriage certificate but a Dojo membership application form :P:P Mori's on the other hand was so graphic it had to be pixelated that much, threesone indeed,sandwich anyone?. Classic eye gouge, didn't think Kotoura has it in her to do something like that ^^ Kotoura so cute in sensei mode.

ahh that Dojo!! no wonder Moritani's like that, my mind will break too with something like that but to be fair they have a Harvard & TouDai (Tokyo University) grads right there wow famous dojo indeed. OMG!

Is that Pedobear!? oppai ga Ippai! ah but poor kotoura, don't worry haruka-chan the bear suit was just thick, you're still cute !!!

IN the End MANabe is still the MAN! obvious as it may be what he is doing from the start , still it's a great thing.

So here we're back with the Drama interspersed with the good comedy (and the normal ED song), and it ends up great., wonderful episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
But I do disagree that he and Kotoura would have to find any accomodation with her mother. They could tell her to buzz off and never have anything to do with her again.
problem is knowing Kotoura's character, she will always try to find an accommodation of sorts, which is understandable she is her mother after all, and knowing Manabe's character he will do his best to accommodate Kotoura. So yeah i think in the end there will be some sort of reconciliation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I really like the sudden increase in Yuriko trying to get Daichi's attention.
Also the little flashback as well. Good old childhood friends pairings.
and it seems muruto hardly grew an inch since that time
Old 2013-02-21, 22:18   Link #431
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol Moritani's food is actually a drug. Nice job by Manabe to surprise Kotoura and everyone else.
Old 2013-02-21, 22:56   Link #432
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Who do Manabe and Zenzou think they are Jed Clampett
Old 2013-02-22, 03:21   Link #433
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Nope, haven't watched that. Not wanting to induce spoilers, I'll just say that it was just last season, ending in December.
If it's the show I think of, I'm not seeing the same problems in Kotoura san. You may viscerally react against the way the show handles the issues because you disagree with their morals, but I doubt their going to dodge the unpleasant aspects that arise from such a situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate
While she sure didn't do anything to help her character, imo she does have a few regrets at abandoning her daughter. With the line that if they meet eachother, they just hurt eachother again. So like Kotoura, she made a barrier between them so neither of them will suffer more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly
My interpretation is different. I didn't notice any regrets emanating from Kotoura's mom. It all seemed very one-sided to me, mom not wanting to be involved with her daughter because she didn't want to get hurt by her again. Really, did she look or act like a woman who had any positive feelings about her own daughter? Did she look or act like she was going to retract her last sentence to her daughter?
I'm sort of with HandofFate on this one, but not quite the way it was phrased. I wouldn't call it "regrets" so much as a lingering frustration with the situation that is extremely painful for her, and her solution is to blame Haruka - out of self-preservation. She's been a lousy mother, and from the looks of it she's been playing that role for the last decade or so, even in the absence of Haruka. Rather than admitting that she could have done better, she prefers pretending that it's impossible. I'm sure she believes those friends will leave her, too.

I do think her line about "we'll only hurt each other" is heart-felt. There was too much venom in that line to be anything but honest (great voice-acting there! Haruka's mom might not have many lines, but every single one she delivers with impact.) The thing is: she looked extremely worn out; it doesn't seem to me like she's living the high-life. They're both hurting anyway. Part of the venom, I think, is jealousy at Haruka's happiness. I could practically see her standing there thinking something like: look who's having fun, and what about me?

That may all sound very damning, but there are two things you'll need to take in consideration:

(1) The balance sheet between "understanding the true feelings" and "judging the actions" is further towards the former in anime than in most western entertainment (as a trend; it's not that easy, I know).

(2) Many people have selfish feelings, then they overcome them, and act according to a moral code. Some people are more selfish than others, but nobody can help their initial impulse. You'll just have to put that impulse behind you; then you get to be judged by what do, not by your knee-jerk reactions. But what happens when someone responds to your knee-jerk reactions, before you ever get the chance to handle them and pre-filter them? What's the social code for interacting with someone like that?

There are two sides to that equation:

(a) Haruka has grown up taking those knee-jerk reactions for granted. Whereas we all are protected from this by a delicate system of social politeness and tact, Haruka never was. Any anger, disappointment, sadness, etc. is instant. Any apology given that you know you should give but that you're not yet ready to except? Haruka knows. And it's normal. Most people are like that. In Japanese terms, it's all honne and no tatemae.

(b) So if you're dealing with someone like that, what's the point of even trying? You're exhausted, your husband leaves you alone responsible for the problem, you look at your daughter, and you channel all that into a blast of directed feeling. Normally, if that happened inside you, you'd feel horrible thinking that, and you'd either not let it out, or apologise later, or go away until you calm down. You'd try hard, as long as you can. But if that initial blast of private inner feelings already illicits a response? What's the point of even trying? You might as well just be honest, right away. Why not?

There's a mistake in that sort of feeling. Social expectations cannot target your initial, private, inner, immediate response. That's certainly part of your identity, but so is how you handle those feelings. But if your child reacts immediately to that initial blast of feeling, if you see yourself reflected in that response, isn't it sort of understandable you take the villain role? What does it matter that she says it out loud? She thought it already, so it must be true, mustn't it?

At the same time when Haruka learned to blame herself for the things that go wrong around here, her mum has learned to indulge her knee-jerk reactions. But the problem isn't one of blame; I do think both of them hurt, and I don't think that, deep down, she doesn't care about her daughter happiness. It's just that she has forgotten how to care about her daughter. I think that the "bad mother" is role she plays, not because she wants to, but because she can't see any alternative. She's extremely bitter; currently I'd say, she's worse off than Haruka (because I doubt she has any friends helping her, the way Haruka has). The problem is that playing the "bad mother" makes her, in fact, a bad mother. A lousy mother, to be honest. But then not many parents are in her position. And she certainly tried harder than her father (even if the way she tried was really awful to begin with - as if Haruka's situation were an illness or a possession, rather than part of who she is).

I actually find this portrayal fairly interesting (compared to the generally too understanding parents in, say, mahou shoujo shows). They'll need to face each other, eventually, or they'll be locked into the script they wrote when they parted. Blame has nothing to do with it, IMO.

Finally, typing this post has made me realise one thing: when I started typing this post I was using "Kotoura" for "Haruka". But there's a problem: it's her mom's name, too. Suddenly, the name of the series has taken on a new layer of meaning. I was sort of surprised by that revelation. I wonder if that's deliberate? Sure, the show is really about Haruka, and Manabe calls her Kotoura. But nobody calls her "Kotoura san". I do wonder if that double meaning is intended. Maybe her mum's role is more important than I thought it was? (I thought she was more a plot element to set up the plot and drive development; but they might actually intend to explore both sides.)

I wonder.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 05:38   Link #434
Lukeman1884

Spoiler for Thoughts on ep 7:
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 09:00   Link #435
SQA

@Lukeman:

Kotoura's mother will need to be dealt with a lot like the mother in Usagi Drop. There's no "easy" route about it. There's only "bad", but that's due to her own set of choices.

Moritani's cooking has added a new subsection to the "Lethal Cooking" trope: LSD Cooking. She may come to regret that.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 09:01   Link #436
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The print run for the manga has been increased from 100,000 to 350,000 since the anime began airing. Good news for those who might want to see a second season.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Moritani. She's clearly the odd-girl out in this group. I think she's realized that Manabe will never fall for her as long as Kotoura is around, and she now treasures Kotoura as a friend. I guess she could end up with some guy from the dojo, but in the context of the show, she seems pretty lonely right now.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 09:17   Link #437
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Couldn't agree more with MANabe's words during the preview

Speaking of him, I simply love how he forced Moritani to eat her food instead of taking the usual route of gobbling it all down by himself and dying a honorable death.

I liked this episode, especially how Manabe found a way to keep Kotoura from finding out his plans. A simple solution, no doubt, but not everyone can pull that off.
The sadist in me enjoyed Kotoura's "despair" (nothing that deep, but a nicer word escapes me) that she couldn't find out his secret, despite her mind reading abilities.

After this episode I have my doubts that the mother can find redemption. She's been stuck with her hate for so long that it'd take something pretty amazing to make her change her views. She still blames Kotoura for everything that happened to the family, even if she had a fair share of the blame herself. So yeah, not a good sign for her. Meanwhile, her daughter's finally starting to get over her abandonment issues, but it'll take a lot more work and trust for her to finally be free from her past.

Drama-lite episode, but highly enjoyable.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 14:10   Link #438
ion475
にこにこにー

Well, not that much drama, but compare to 5 and 6, this episode is a lot better.

1. Well, the mother, she's either going to stay as an antagonist, or just pushing the eventual reunion to the last episodes...
2. Manabe is back to being a Man. That ending IS great.
3. Surprise that Kotoura didn't turn dark again, I mean, Manabe not answering her phone for 15+ days?
4. Grandpa = I wish I can just dig and somehow get some oil in my backyard lol.
5. Moritani, she's still odd man (or woman) out no matter what...
Old 2013-02-22, 17:41   Link #439
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
NSFW
Mufine Yuriko Bikini
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
*ninja quick save as*

Now, where was I?

1. Koutora in bed all night long with nekkid Manabe and Moritani, oh, the (hentai) force is strong in this young one Maybe Mortani will not end all alone since Koutora is a pal and knows how to share
2. Yes Koutora, a woman's confidence is directly proportional to her boob size and perkiness, that is why Muroto teases Yuriko ignoring them, otherwise she would have already turned into an evil self-righteous person.
3. I wonder if the pixelated scene Moritani thought when she woke up will be shown intact in the disc releases
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 18:39   Link #440
jdennis007

I liked Kotoura worrying about Manabe being faithful to her, it adds a bit more to her character.

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy