AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-04-10, 17:25   Link #21
nfsac

Will Lena go live with the squad or only remote interaction?
nfsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 18:21   Link #22
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsac View Post
Will Lena go live with the squad or only remote interaction?
I imagine it's probably not common for the Republic to directly deal with the Eighty-Six. They barely tolerate them remotely.

Lena might be willing to do it though I think it would be pretty unconventional/difficult to get approval for.
Old 2021-04-10, 18:57   Link #23
Magewolf

So this is one of those shows were you have to turn your suspension of disbelief up to 11 so the story can make use of all the easy melodrama it is going for. Lets not think about how long a country would last with all it's military assets under the control of an oppressed minority.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 19:10   Link #24
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Lets not think about how long a country would last with all it's military assets under the control of an oppressed minority.
And where exactly did you see that all of the Republic's military assets are controlled by the 86? I don't think you have really thought everything through before making use of the easy bashing.
Old 2021-04-10, 19:22   Link #25
Alchemist007
*Author

Seems interesting enough, gonna give it a few eps.
Old 2021-04-10, 19:58   Link #26
Frontier

Quote:
So this is one of those shows were you have to turn your suspension of disbelief up to 11 so the story can make use of all the easy melodrama it is going for. Lets not think about how long a country would last with all it's military assets under the control of an oppressed minority.
I think the series should get to explaining why San Magnolia isn't afraid of the Eighty-Six turning on them.
Old 2021-04-10, 20:23   Link #27
Eater of All
NOM

Getting some flashbacks to Ender's Game here, but the focus so far seems different, more on the knowledge and connection between the commander and the remote squadron. Not sure if 86 will dive more into the details of the enemies, or if they're just plot devices.

Appreciate the ample settings details:

1. Everyone in the capital looks bleached, and Lena even remarks most food is artificial. Whereas the 86 squad is colorful and has easy access to eggs and milk.

2. I'm guessing the commanders drinking and lazing around are them hiding from the knowledge/experience of sending humans to death. It'll depend on how much they have interact with the 86 in practice, but I'm not sure if people in the same position would really act this way. More likely not so much with disdain but with apathy.

3. I thought the Spearhead squad looked awfully cheerful after their squadmate died, but maybe that's just the way they cope. They probably live every day not expecting to live for very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I think the series should get to explaining why San Magnolia isn't afraid of the Eighty-Six turning on them.
Since they can connect the Para-RAID thing at will and can constantly monitor the vitals of the soldiers, I'm guessing it's not hard for them to have a kill switch installed along with it.

Which also doesn't bold well for the 86's fate after the war is over.
Old 2021-04-10, 20:37   Link #28
justavisitor

this anime seems interesting. Probably will follow this one!! How many episodes will it be?

A quick search indicates that this is based on the novel, which is still ongoing....so another full metal panic if this anime goes well ? (meaning, numerous seasons until whenever the novel is over? )
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 20:41   Link #29
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
this anime seems interesting. Probably will follow this one!! How many episodes will it be?

A quick search indicates that this is based on the novel, which is still ongoing....so another full metal panic if this anime goes well ? (meaning, numerous seasons until whenever the novel is over? )
It's a split two-cour. So 12 episodes for now and 12 episodes later .
Old 2021-04-10, 21:46   Link #30
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-10, 23:58   Link #31
Friday
Im shy too...

reminds me of "Gunparade March"

see how it goes....
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 02:03   Link #32
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
As I've read little of 86, I'm assuming this means nothing...

Spoiler for Screenshot size too big, yo.:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 12:31   Link #33
Lambdalith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
As I've read little of 86, I'm assuming this means nothing...

Spoiler for Screenshot size too big, yo.:

From what i am gathering from Japanese boards they used random maps (that in the screenshot is particularly egregious because it's just a modern map with current national borders) for the opening from a subcontractor that didn't realized that the anime is not set in our world. Actual maps from the novel reveal something similar to a Pangaea supercontinent.

Also
Spoiler:
Lambdalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 16:51   Link #34
LKK

A reminder to everyone, information that has not yet been revealed in the anime may NOT be referenced in an anime discussion thread, not even in a spoiler tag. This applies to background world-building information, character information, as well as plot events. Several posts have been removed. If the spoiler reveals continue, we will be forced to start giving out infractions and bans. I suggest you all take a moment to review the spoiler policy.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 19:06   Link #35
Frontier

If I recall the director is kind of infamous for cutting some important world and concept building from the SAO: Alicization adaption, but I feel like they won't avoid mentioning anything that's super major to the actual plot.

So far I think they've kept and portrayed what they need to portray so far without directly spoon-feeding the audience.
Old 2021-04-11, 19:07   Link #36
Thor's Hammer

Quote:
Yeah, I was really not impressed at all. I was also annoyed by the show focusing on Lena being delighted at being able to eat real pastries as I found that immersion breaking, but I guess the priority was to properly set up the series's main waifu so that otaku will buy the merchandise/light novels. I also didn't feel the show made me properly feel for the plight of the 86, and that that was a mistake. Of the shows I've started already this season, this looks to be one of the weaker ones.

Quote:
If I recall the director is kind of infamous for cutting some important world and concept building from the SAO: Alicization adaption, but I feel like they won't avoid mentioning anything that's super major to the actual plot.

So far I think they've kept and portrayed what they need to portray so far without directly spoon-feeding the audience.
I did not know it was someone who worked on Alicization directing this. I guess building the world probably won't be much of a priority for the show then, and I did feel like some stuff might have been skipped in this episode without really knowing what was skipped since I haven't read the source material.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 19:14   Link #37
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Hammer View Post
Yeah, I was really not impressed at all. I was also annoyed by the show focusing on Lena being delighted at being able to eat real pastries as I found that immersion breaking, but I guess the priority was to properly set up the series's main waifu so that otaku will buy the merchandise/light novels. I also didn't feel the show made me properly feel for the plight of the 86, and that that was a mistake. Of the shows I've started already this season, this looks to be one of the weaker ones.
The scene with Lena was to indicate the contrast with the Eighty-Six, where the people in the Republic have the luxury of getting to sit back and relax like it's a slice of life anime while the Eighty-Six are on the front line fighting the Legion.

(I mean, Lena is definitely Best Girl material and the anime is definitely emphasizing that, but still .)
Quote:
I did not know it was the SAO: Alicization director working on this. I guess building the world probably won't be much of a priority for show then, and I did feel like some stuff might have been skipped in this episode without really knowing what was skipped since I haven't read the source material.
I feel like they actually did a solid job here, but a lot of the stories setting is slowly developed as it goes along instead of immediately at the beginning. I think it's remaining true to the source in that respect.
Old 2021-04-11, 19:29   Link #38
Lambdalith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Hammer View Post
Frankly i think that the show so far has done a good job in differentiating the two lifestyles. Also you totally forgot that, while Lena has a moment of weakness eating real pastries (try eating tasteless food for years!), most of the headquarters is drunk and the officers don't care at all because "everything will be over in two years anyway". It's not immersion breaking: those people are enjoying their life at the expense of others and it shows. Also the scene with the pastry hitting the floor with the battle immediately after is well executed.

Regarding the 86 it's also notable the contrast between the calm moments and the battle scene. People that can die in any moment try to enjoy every moment they have.

Anyway, it's bizarre how people can judge things with a single episode when the context of the show hasn't yet being explained in detail, especially when a series is not front loaded with spoonfeeded infodumps.
Old 2021-04-11, 19:32   Link #39
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambdalith View Post
Anyway, it's bizarre how people can judge things with a single episode when the context of the show hasn't yet being explained in detail, especially when a series is not front loaded with spoonfeeded infodumps.
I believe in the three episode rule .
Old 2021-04-11, 19:41   Link #40
Lambdalith

Quote:
I believe in the three episode rule .
Amen.

Anyway in ep 1 they expanded the story with a couple of things that are just talked about briefly and never directly narrated in full in the novel. They need to do this because the material of first novel it's probably too short for an entire cour. At least they are not creating arbitrary filler material. The rest is almost word for word.

Tags
harem, mecha, politics, sci-fi