AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-11-21, 07:28   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1099 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's that time again! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Pacifist". Splash features Kouzuki Oden.

-Continuing from last time, king Becori has returned to resume his reign of terror!
He was inspired by the news he heard of East Blue's Goa kingdom, and decides to burn down the poor villages! Furthermore, those who protested get hot lead as a rebuttal! Kuma, who naturally got fed up with Becori's crap, goes to his palace and destroys it, overthrowing the king once again! Afterwards, the populace clamors for Kuma to be the next king, so he eventually obliges.... by becoming a monarch in name only. In actuality, the one running the country is the good king Bulldog, who was Sorbet's ruler from two generations ago. The news of Sorbet's new king spreads, even reaching Mariejois.... which catches the attention of Saturn.

-It's around this time we learn that Bonney ate the Toshi Toshi (age) no Mi by accident. The townsfolk are quick to point out that her adult form is the spitting image of Ginny. One day, Bulldog visits Kuma's church, and brings his mother Conney with him. Coincidentally, Bonney resembles COnney when she turns into an old woman..... hence the disguise she would later use to infiltrate the Reverie. Meanwhile, Bulldog brings Kuma some bad news: Becori is on the loose AGAIN. Even worse, he gained the World Government's favor by spreading rumors about Kuma being a TYRANT who took the throne by force.... so the WG provided him with marine backup to take it back! The pastor-turned-king decides to take care of Becori once and for all..... but knows that once he does, he can never live a peaceful life in his homeland again. Thus, he entrusts the kingdom, as well as Bonney's care, to Bulldog. He then proceeds to meet Becori and his marine fleet out at sea, and destroys them all....

-Afterwards, Kuma decides to become a pirate and live out at sea. It's at this point that he earns his notorious reputation, which naturally results in a big bounty on his head. He spends his pirating days searching for a cure for Bonney, visiting several islands around the world (including the ones he sent the Straw-Hats to pre-timeskip). Eventually, he meets with Dragon out at sea, who informs him that Ivankov and Inazuma were caught and imprisoned (obviously in Impel Down). Interestingly enough, Belo Betty asks Kuma for permission to inherit Ginny's old commander position, to which he grants his blessing. Dragon then grants his friend a piece of good news: A chance to meet Dr. Vegapunk! Until recently, it would have been impossible for anyone to meet the good doctor at his lab in the heavily guarded Punk Hazard.... but after the incident with Caesar occurred, he was forced to relocate to the less secure island of Egghead. If Kuma wants that cure for Bonney, then there's no better time to visit Vegapunk than now!

-After returning to Sorbet to pick up Bonney (who got some combat training during her father's absence), she and Kuma finally meet Vegapunk at Egghead! The doctor says it's indeed possible to cure Bonney, using an experimental cell transplant procedure.... but the problem is the cost. Meanwhile, he examines Kuma, and is shocked to discover his Buccaneer lineage. He then makes a proposal: Should Kuma volunteer to be a part of his clone army project, he'll cure Bonney for free! When asked what the army will be used for, Punk responds that they will become future marines who will protect the innocent from evil pirates! Kuma approves of this plan, and when the overjoyed doctor calls him a saint, he corrects him, saying that he's a PACIFISTA. Punk likes that term, deciding to make it the name of his new warriors! However, unbeknownst to the two, their conversation is being overheard by none other than Saturn, who feels he can make much more effective use of this army than the good doctor can....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-11-22 at 01:15.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-21, 08:03   Link #2
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

So, how could my prediction be spot on for Kuma to sacrifice himself in exchange for curing Jewelry Bonney? I didn't expect this outcome.

Still, Saturn probably wants to keep Kuma on the leash by admissions him as Shichibukai.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-21, 16:51   Link #3
Gerard07

Given the spoilers, as many assumed, Kuma became Vegapunk's guinea pig in exchange for saving Bonney, although it doesn't explain why Kuma decided to throw away his humanity completely (I assume it will be for the next chapter), but Saturn and Does the World Government know that Vegapunk was in contact with Dragon? It's interesting, expect more spoilers!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-21, 17:35   Link #4
grecefar

a father does anything for his child so even if it's his life for bonnie is an easy choice.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-21, 18:04   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

We're finally about to find out how Saturn talked Kuma into getting mind-wiped. Little doubt it will involved threatening Bonney.
Old 2023-11-23, 17:45   Link #6
Gerard07

Having seen the chapter, we saw Kuma travel through several islands/countries in search of a cure for Bonney, until he arrived at Vegapunk, i suppose that in the next chapter we will see why Kuma became a %100 cyborn and what makes him special to the Bucaneer race, wait for the next chapter!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-25, 14:02   Link #7
WyrdMonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Having seen the chapter, we saw Kuma travel through several islands/countries in search of a cure for Bonney, until he arrived at Vegapunk, i suppose that in the next chapter we will see why Kuma became a %100 cyborn and what makes him special to the Bucaneer race, wait for the next chapter!.
I think the Buccaneers tried to free as many slaves as possible, just like Nika, who might have been an important religious figure to them.
And to the Five Elders slavery is absolutely necessary for their fellow World Nobles. I believe Imu encouraged this practice as some dark ritual that helps keep him in power.
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-25, 20:04   Link #8
marvelB

Ah, I got so wrapped up in holiday stuff that I forgot to comment on the chapter earlier! Anyway, cool to see Dragon looking out for Kuma like that. I also liked how Oda handled Betty taking Ginny's old commander spot. It was short, but sweet. Still, I really have to wonder just how long Dragon and Vegapunk knew each other.... because we saw they were already well acquainted during that Ohara flashback. I guess they first met during Dragon's brief stint as a marine? That seems to make the most sense at this point....

Anyway, life still continues to screw over poor Kuma. Getting slandered by an asshole king (who I wouldn't be the least bit surprised is STILL alive and trying to take over Sorbet again in the present despite getting obliterated twice in a row this chapter), being forced to flee his own homeland, and volunteering to become a guinea pig for Bonney's sake. Sure, Vegapunk may have had pure intentions for the clone army, but we already know what soulless war machines they end up becoming later....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 08:46   Link #9
Rainbowman

Somehow I like how Kuma sort of looks like a giant version of Clark Kent in this chapter.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote