Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-19, 16:58   Link #1
Ellie97

Looking for the impossible.

Romance, drama, horror, psycological, tragedy. I want them all in one anime :3

Something worth shedding a tear for. Something that will shock me. Something that will scare me.

Romance, horror and psycological are the main genres that I'm looking for. I know that finding a romance/horror anime is hard enough to find let alone with added drama and tragedies! I know that in a way, this is asking for a lot.. But it's something I've been looking for for a long time! (if you can please suggest mangas too, but preferably anime :3 )

Your help is much appreciated ^_^
Old 2012-03-19, 17:15   Link #2
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
There is something that's exactly what you're looking for except it's not anime but a visual novel: Saya no Uta

The reason you'll likely never see it made into an anime is that no TV station will air this, it's too darn disturbing
But if you want an anime I'd say go with Shiki it's mostly drama, horror, psycological, tragedy but there's also some romance in there.

Or maybe Another that has Romance, drama, psycological, tragedy elements but to me is more of a mystery/suspence suspence story than a horror story.

Last edited by totoum; 2012-03-19 at 17:27.
Old 2012-03-19, 17:44   Link #3
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Elfen Lied...just about fit the description

Umineko...in a long shot

Higurashi...ah, wait, higurashi doesn't have an apparent romance element.

Those are all that came up in me. Though, I kind of can't tell the difference between horror and mystery or suspense.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:22   Link #4
Forsaken_Infinity

Monster has everything you're looking for. Although the romance isn't conventional MC loves a girl bla bla and takes the under seat to everything else. It's a good show that you should watch anyway.

Mononoke also doesn't have conventional romance but romance is definitely an element of the show. And it fits the bill for everything else perfectly. You might want to give its prequel, Bakeneko from Ayakashi : Classical Japanese Horror a look beforehand.

Serial Experiments Lain is a bit of a mindfuck and a bit too heavy on nonsensical jargon etc. But it fits what you are looking for. Not the conventional romance yet again though. And there is some Yuri.

Mushishi is a great show that has all the elements you are looking for. But its not a conventional epic where a MC romances with a girl or some girls through an epic saga. None of my recommendations are like that. But they all fit what you are looking for better than conventional (Read: cheap) stuff like that anyway.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:36   Link #5
Ellie97

I watched the first episode of Shiki (I couldn't find saya no uta T.T) and I was intrigued :3

I'll probably definitely watch another, Monster, mononoke, serial experiment lain and mushishi later xD
Thanks guyzz
Old 2012-03-19, 19:29   Link #6
kitten320

You can try Ghost Hunt. Not really strong romance vise but main heroine shows interest in main hero and they have some good moments together. She also gets jealous of other heroine who tries to keep him to herself.
It has horror elements since it is about ghosts. Some arcs are more creepy than others while some are sad. Christmas arc is probably the saddest while second arc and labyrinth one are the creepiest.
Can't say it is very psychological but does make you wonder.

Ga-Rei Zero has some gore moments though not really a horror but really tragic towards the end and psychological since main theme is "Will you kill the one you love because of love?". First 2 episodes are future events before it goes into flashback. Episode 1 is very deceiving, you should watch at least 2. Has romance too.

Death Note would be a great choice too.

Elfen Lied fits the bill well.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is not horror but it is psychological and sad as well as dark with some hints of romance.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin not a horror either but some things will definitively creep you out! Really sad and touching series with some romance. Also inspiring.

Steins;Gate isn't horror either but has some heavy themes covered in second half. Otherwise it meets all requirements.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-03-19 at 19:39.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:31   Link #7
Forsaken_Infinity

Err.. I suppose you could also try Texhnolyze and Ghost Hound but as with other recommendations of mine, the romance is very subtle and unconventional. And Ghost Hound isn't a tragedy I guess.

And I would recommend Aoi Bungaku, an anime that adapted popular Japanese literary works. It has everything you are looking for but I really do wonder if my definition of romance, horror and the like matches with yours. Nevertheless, all the shows I have recommended thus far are very very good (as in the very best of shows) so you won't be at a loss.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:35   Link #8
myopius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie97 View Post
Romance, drama, horror, psycological, tragedy. I want them all in one anime :3
I think that the combination you're looking for is far from impossible. Any good horror anime will probably have a psychological component too, assuming the characters are any good. And horror often necessitates drama. Tragedy is quite common as well in horror. I approached the query by thinking of anime that combined romance and horror and were somewhat cathartic.

Blue Gender is one. I get the feeling I recommend it a lot, but it's a really good old anime and it does fit all of romance, drama, horror, psychological, and tragedy.

I'm watching Another, so my instinct was to answer that one as well. Looks like someone already covered it, as I expected.

Of the anime everyone else recommended that I've watched, I personally see Elfen Lied and Another as fitting all the categories. Edit: Oh, and Umineko. I somehow forgot about servants' romances.

Chaos;Head is a bit weak on the tragedy, but I think it also fits your criteria. Oh, regarding Chaos;Head, there's an anime, but the visual novel is in my opinion far better, if you're open to trying out visual novels.

Quote:
Something worth shedding a tear for. Something that will shock me. Something that will scare me.
If you put it like this, I would have to recommend Elfen Lied above all else, assuming you haven't seen it already. Elfen Lied even has comedy, which makes it all the more intense of an experience.

Last edited by myopius; 2012-03-19 at 19:52.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:52   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think the romance factor will be the hardest to include.

Forsaken Infinity recommends the excellent Bakeneko, Mononoke and Monster, but romance really isn't a part of any of these. Nina might have a bit of crush on Dr. Tenma in Monster, and Kayo is similarly struck by the Apothecary in Bakeneko and Mononoke (who wouldn't be?), but neither of these rises to the level of a romance. Some of the Apothecary stories have romantic and sexual themes, but the main characters are not themselves romantically inclined.

Regardless you should still watch all three of these shows, since they are among the best anime series I've watched over the past decade. I nearly always shed a tear during the final episode of Bakeneko.

Ghost Hound has a touch of romance, but it's more of a "puppy love" relationship given the age of the characters (he's 13, and she's 10).

I hesitate to recommend Narutaru, but there are couples in that show. In keeping with the general tone of the story, I don't recall any of the relationships being healthy ones, though.

I'll also suggest Boogiepop Phantom, though again the romances are muted. It's on my rewatch list since I don't think I ever really understood what was going on the first couple of times I watched it. (I have similar feelings about Paranoia Agent.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-03-19 at 20:03.
Old 2012-03-19, 20:01   Link #10
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I can't believe nobody mentioned Mirai Nikki.
Old 2012-03-19, 20:09   Link #11
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Chaos;Head will definitely be right up your ally.
Old 2012-03-20, 03:47   Link #12
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

C3 -Cube X Cursed X Curious- fit your tastes (even though the tragedy is weak in this one), although there's a little more comedy than other titles (especially episode 1, the serious moments start at episode 2).

Seconding Elfen Lied
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-20, 05:32   Link #13
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolido17 View Post
I can't believe nobody mentioned Mirai Nikki.
I personally don't see it as horror nor has it evoked huge amount of emotions.
It's just an interesting shounen with more blood than usual.
Old 2012-03-20, 07:35   Link #14
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Wow @ recommending Saya no Uta

That probably is the most disturbing VN that I played, not that I have a lot of games though. It got me hooked for some reason but it is really disturbing to play
Old 2012-03-20, 16:33   Link #15
Ellie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
I think that the combination you're looking for is far from impossible. Any good horror anime will probably have a psychological component too, assuming the characters are any good. And horror often necessitates drama. Tragedy is quite common as well in horror. I approached the query by thinking of anime that combined romance and horror and were somewhat cathartic.

Blue Gender is one. I get the feeling I recommend it a lot, but it's a really good old anime and it does fit all of romance, drama, horror, psychological, and tragedy.

I'm watching Another, so my instinct was to answer that one as well. Looks like someone already covered it, as I expected.

Of the anime everyone else recommended that I've watched, I personally see Elfen Lied and Another as fitting all the categories. Edit: Oh, and Umineko. I somehow forgot about servants' romances.

Chaos;Head is a bit weak on the tragedy, but I think it also fits your criteria. Oh, regarding Chaos;Head, there's an anime, but the visual novel is in my opinion far better, if you're open to trying out visual novels.

If you put it like this, I would have to recommend Elfen Lied above all else, assuming you haven't seen it already. Elfen Lied even has comedy, which makes it all the more intense of an experience.
Quote:
Well when you put it that way, your point makes so much sense!!

Wow! I didnt think I would get so many replies! I have plenty of animes to occupy nighttimes :3
Thank you everyone!! I'll be sure to watch them all!!
Old 2012-03-21, 19:24   Link #16
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Seconding Steins;Gate: it doesn't actually have much of horror, even tho you may find some things a bit disturbing (we aren't talking about horror meant as "monsters, zombies, other horrid stuff", but rather a horror meant as "playing with human lives, murders"). It's about a group of friends who manage to find a way to send messages to the past with a cellphone. I won't spoil anything else, because this anime is based on suspense, mystery, is a bit psychological and gets dark from the second half, fitting your every other requirement. There is romance, and it is satisfying, but you'll have to wait. There is also some little comedy. My favorite series, and one of the best series out of 2011.

Mirai nikki could also do the job: once again, the horror doesn't come from weird monsters, or things like that, but rather from relentless killing, blood, etc. It does have romance, but it's seriously scary, and you'll understand why: yes, the romance is scary. I found it one of the most interesting titles i ever came across. It's about a guy who discovers that his cellphone predicts his future(it will be called future diary); however, he's not the only one to posses a future diary, and will get involved with other people trying to screw him up. The story behind this future diary gets revealed the first 2 episodes. A girl will be there, who also possesses a future diary. This series contains a lot of mindfuck, it's very psychological, got much blood and i can assure it got so many tragedies that you'll lose the concept of dark, horror and tragedy. You wanted to be shocked? There you go. Even being "that" way, i didn't find it depressing or things like that. It has romance, and goes beyond holding hands or a kiss. It is never boring, and keeps up with the action and the piling up of mysteries. Anyways, as i stated before, this anime might make you lose the concept of horror, tragedy, dark and anything else (this anime involves a game to become God), so you'll hardly find a moment to shed a tear. You'll rather be too shocked/scared to shed a tear, actually, and the action doesn't even give you the time.

Actually, Mirai nikki is a manga, but an anime adaption consisting of 24+ episodes was made. So far, only 12+ episodes have come out, but i can assure you that the anime is quite a good adaption, because it didn't skip anything from the manga, up to ep12. I don't know how they'll sort out the remaining episodes. Anyways, i finished the first part of this series, and then turned to the manga(which is finished). I'm sure you'll continue the story on the manga because this series is just too much interesting and you won't be able to wait. You can find it in bakabt.
Old 2012-03-21, 19:32   Link #17
kitten320

Actually Mirai Nikki is up to 22 episodes, 4 more to go.
Old 2012-03-21, 19:35   Link #18
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Oh, i thought it had stopped at 16 or something like that. Then good for him, even tho i don't really know how they'll cover that much remaining story in 14 episodes.

Thank you for the information, because i was waiting to see how the anime would have dealt with the second half of the story. It looks like i'll have to wait little time
Old 2012-03-21, 19:45   Link #19
kitten320

As only an anime watcher everything seems fine for me, though some things might have seemed a bit rushed but nothing drastic.
Besides I heard that last 4 episode are supposed to cover the last 6 chapters so ending shouldn't be rushed
Old 2012-03-21, 20:01   Link #20
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think the romance factor will be the hardest to include.

Forsaken Infinity recommends the excellent Bakeneko, Mononoke and Monster, but romance really isn't a part of any of these. Nina might have a bit of crush on Dr. Tenma in Monster, and Kayo is similarly struck by the Apothecary in Bakeneko and Mononoke (who wouldn't be?), but neither of these rises to the level of a romance. Some of the Apothecary stories have romantic and sexual themes, but the main characters are not themselves romantically inclined.

Regardless you should still watch all three of these shows, since they are among the best anime series I've watched over the past decade. I nearly always shed a tear during the final episode of Bakeneko.

Ghost Hound has a touch of romance, but it's more of a "puppy love" relationship given the age of the characters (he's 13, and she's 10).
Yes indeed. If you want a drama with psychological horror and ends in tragedy, and also wish for some romance in there, chances are that the romance will be a twisted one and will probably take the backseat to everything else.

I am sure the OP wants romance as in love between man and woman. But I will still argue that Monster is romantic as in its very nature of a journey full of adventure is romantic. It has its moments of romance that come close to conventional romance, such as Nina's crush on Dr. Tenma, Tenma's love life with Eva, Johann's infatuation with his sister etc. but I consider the whole show to fit the definition of a romantic tragedy. And most of the other recommendations I made were made with similar thoughts backing my reasoning. They include romance between man and woman here and there, and some of them are indeed significant to the story, but they are romantic more because of their romantic nature.

But I understand that most people have a very specific sort of romance in mind when they ask for one. That's why I recommended only the very best of shows so as to not waste the OP's time ;_;

Tags
drama, horror, psycological, romance, tragedy