AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-12-04, 20:26   Link #61
starlol

Yozora from Boku Wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
I only read spoilers for the light novel and watch the anime but i feel that i can understand her actions and what her character is thinking.
starlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 22:42   Link #62
LunarMoon

Shinji Ikari – One of the greatest characters in anime history, and ironically enough, this is probably why he’s so heavily disliked. He’s not a self-insert character, or a heroic figure that the viewer would like to aspire to be. He is self pitying, self-loathing, and by the approximation of those both in and outside of the universe, a complete and utter doormat. In that regard, he reacts far more similarly to how a 14-year old boy actually would when confronted by a life-threatening situation or an apathetic father with no regard for his well-being. He is a broken, realistic, deconstruction of wunderkind, child soldiers such as Simon of Gurren Lagann or Hero Yui of Gundam Wing, which ultimately makes him a far more interesting character.

I do like Sayaka Miki, but I haven't realy seen the hate for her that characters like Shinji Ikari receive. Most people seem to agree that being a Puella Magi, sucks about as much as she thinks it does.
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 00:02   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
Shinji Ikari – One of the greatest characters in anime history, and ironically enough, this is probably why he’s so heavily disliked. He’s not a self-insert character, or a heroic figure that the viewer would like to aspire to be. He is self pitying, self-loathing, and by the approximation of those both in and outside of the universe, a complete and utter doormat. In that regard, he reacts far more similarly to how a 14-year old boy actually would when confronted by a life-threatening situation or an apathetic father with no regard for his well-being. He is a broken, realistic, deconstruction of wunderkind, child soldiers such as Simon of Gurren Lagann or Hero Yui of Gundam Wing, which ultimately makes him a far more interesting character.
How do you deconstruct that which came long after you? I view Gurren Lagann and Simon as a reconstruction of what NGE and Shinji previously deconstructed. In my view, reconstruction is at least as interesting and as difficult to pull off as deconstruction is (it's easier to rip down questionable literary/genre conventions than it is to rebuild them from the ashes of a deconstruction, imo), so I have to disagree with you that Shinji is a "far more interesting character" than Simon. I think that Simon is a very interesting character in his own right, and an excellent counterpoint/antithesis to Shinji.
Old 2011-12-06, 01:18   Link #64
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
Shinji Ikari – One of the greatest characters in anime history, and ironically enough, this is probably why he’s so heavily disliked.
Er....I think Shinji is disliked because nobody wants to watch a weak-willed kid whine about how much he wants to die all the time.
I mean, I'm sympathetic towards characters...a LOT, even when others will say "he doesn't deserve it" but.....by the End of Evangelion, even I was getting sick of Shinji's emo bullshit. It's fine and realistic for a character to be depressed, but after a while, you want them to at least do something. A lot of characters have had it worse than Shinji but they eventually become strong because they go through development.
Misato had to drag Shinji across the floor to make him move. >_>
And this was after twenty-six episodes.
Enough is enough!

Now sadly, as my best friend (who likes Shinji) pointed out, "If Shinji was a GIRL, everyone would be going 'AWWW POOR DEAR' and love him!" and I strongly believe she is right. Because let's face it: the majority of EVA fans are male and they'd prefer to see a cute girl as the sad and depressed protagonist much more than a plain-looking teenage boy, especially a plain-looking teenage boy who gets to make out with all three beautiful girls, one of whom is in her twenties..

Mm-hm.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-12-06 at 01:30.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 01:30   Link #65
HasuMasu
*Artist

I understand your plight, I know what Shinji's purpose is, which is how I kept myself from punching the screen and start screaming at him to just get into the damn robot. (/a/ getting to me here )
Old 2011-12-06, 01:37   Link #66
Chiibi

I know, huh. XD

Oh, by the way, I don't actually hate Shinji either-just saying I can understand why people hate him.

He was a frustrating character for me to watch at the time but I don't get that passionate "OMGH8DIEBITCH!!11" feeling when I see a picture of him or anything.....which is less than I can say for OTHER characters out there.....>_> lol!
Old 2011-12-06, 05:09   Link #67
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Most people watch entertainment to escape from their lives...they don't want to have the main character remind them of themselves or a terrible existance. They want a hero or an insert character that wins...not someone that seems pathetic and wishes to die.
Old 2011-12-06, 08:17   Link #68
mecharobot

I don't know. I've always viewed Heero as somekind of sociopath character myself. He may not be like Shinji, but he most certainly isn't like Simon either. Actually I'd say he is closer to Shinji to myself.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 13:31   Link #69
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
I don't know. I've always viewed Heero as somekind of sociopath character myself. He may not be like Shinji, but he most certainly isn't like Simon either. Actually I'd say he is closer to Shinji to myself.
Heero's really badass though. XD He always has that intense look on his face and his dubbed voice was SO COOL.

actually he was my first crush. LOL
Old 2011-12-06, 14:47   Link #70
nishiura
current mood: yeah

I'll have to agree with liking Sayaka Miki, Kuroko Shirai, Youhei Sunohara and Yozora Mikazuki.

Satoko Houjou - She gets hate for her whining and crying, but I understand her. Nobody seems to care about her situation... I think she's cute and funny and I get sad when she's in a bad place. She's the least popular of the main cast, but she's my favourite.

Saya Takagi & Marikawa Shizuka - Not sure what to say about Saya, but I didn't think of Shizuka as pointless/nothing but bewbs.
nishiura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 15:59   Link #71
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Kirino Kousaka from Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai- I know she's a widely disliked character because she acts extremely tsuntsun to her brother, but I find her to be a realistic teenager and despite her flaws, is a compelling character. I may like Kuroneko better, but I like Kirino too.
To me, her dislike is more like a total package of annoyance. Yes I understand that girls her age are going to be bratty, but she goes out of her way to be insanely demanding and is almost never grateful for anything that her brother bends over backwards to do for her.

On top of that is the insane level of Mary Sue Aura surrounding her. She's athletic, good-looking, has modelling work, writes terrible stories and still gets them published. Gets her own freaking anime show based on said terrible story, etc.

It just totally defies realistic belief IMHO.

Yozora
I have to jump on the Yozora hate-wagon sadly. While I understand that there are probably some reasons she acts the way she does. The sheer degree to which she bullies people (mostly Sena of course) borders on the sadistic. Especially within the window of just the anime -- we're 75% of the way through the show so far and 90% of the development has been for Sena, and only 1-2 small things for Yozora. At this point I'm actually gonna be rather annoyed if there isn't a neutral or "Sena" ending to the show. I hate the last minute development pity-fest that causes a "ninja pairing ending" as it were.

For general rage situations I would have to highlight Onegai Teacher. The whole hook of the series with the "you found out I'm an alien so now we have to get married!" is so stupid. And then he actually takes it seriously. And then poor Herikawa becomes the doormat character for the entire show. Talk about NTR. (Although I love Ichigo)

Last edited by JediNight; 2011-12-06 at 16:09.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 17:01   Link #72
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post

On top of that is the insane level of Mary Sue Aura surrounding her. She's athletic, good-looking, has modelling work, writes terrible stories and still gets them published. Gets her own freaking anime show based on said terrible story, etc.

Well, Twilight got published and got four movies. AND A MANGA. I'm still scratching my head over THAT.

Not quite as unrealistic as one may think; terrible work DOES get published and praised. Ugh......
However it was only from Kuroneko's point of view that Kirino's story was "terrible". And we all know Kuroneko is biased. And we also know that there's no way in hell that Kirino's story is worse than Twilight.

But about the Mary-Sueness that surrounds Kirino:
Spoiler:

That being said, I don't particularly like how Kirino is almost all tsun and no dere but it's probably because of what I just mentioned....
Old 2011-12-06, 17:11   Link #73
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
To me, her dislike is more like a total package of annoyance. Yes I understand that girls her age are going to be bratty, but she goes out of her way to be insanely demanding and is almost never grateful for anything that her brother bends over backwards to do for her.

The bit with her getting an anime of her stories bugged me too... until I realized that that arc was probably intended to be a satire of the modern light novel industry and hence probably not as unrealistic as I originally thought.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 20:34   Link #74
JediNight
キズランダム

Poking fun at himself for being a hack of a writer that still got his own anime made out of it? Because honestly, that story overall is written pretty badly even if it has some great characters like Saori or Kuroneko.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 01:51   Link #75
Chiibi

Quote:
Poking fun at himself for being a hack of a writer that still got his own anime made out of it? Because honestly, that story overall is written pretty badly even if it has some great characters like Saori or Kuroneko.
I have to disagree here. I thought it was REALLY well-written, funny, touching story of a amusingly dysfunctional sibling bond that concludes WITHOUT them turning romantic for each other. What's "badly written" about it?
Old 2011-12-07, 03:53   Link #76
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Just a note, the fiasco is anime-specific. In short, adaptation fail, even as the scriptwriters were trying to make a point against adaptation fail, which is either totally meta or, more likely, just double fail.

Don't blame the girl.

She, or more exactly the original LN author, is still at fault for writing a successful light novel at 14 or 15 though. It did felt wrong; she never struck me as the creative type, the sort of genius who'd write a popular book at that age. It's not something her can-do attitude or perfect student facade would have been of *any* help. You don't write good books, or even mediocre but popular books, because you are the Perfect Japanese School Student, it's because you have talent to back up that effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi
I thought it was REALLY well-written, funny, touching story of a amusingly dysfunctional sibling bond that concludes WITHOUT them turning romantic for each other.
You naive.

There's sexual tension inherent in that bond, the other characters (like Kuroneko) get it, the reader knows it, and it doesn't have to be spelled out to know that their particular brand of siscon/brocon is totally romantic.

Try compare that to, say, Kobato and Kodaka in Haganai for a contrast of a (rare! lol) platonic "brocon" by a younger dependent sibling.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 06:14   Link #77
Edict

Seraphim from Zombie-desu, who was less well received than I would have expected.
Edict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 13:42   Link #78
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

You naive.

There's sexual tension inherent in that bond, the other characters (like Kuroneko) get it, the reader knows it, and it doesn't have to be spelled out to know that their particular brand of siscon/brocon is totally romantic.
I'm perfectly well aware they have sexual tension but I'm pointing out that it's good they never act on it, a.k.a. "make out with each other".
Old 2011-12-08, 02:23   Link #79
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Rolo Lamperouge from Code Geass R2 Its sad I see hate for him everywhere he is actually a great character in my honest opinion and he is my favorite character of all time I love everything about him. I find his past sad too.

Spoiler for spoilers + rant:

Haru Miura and Kyoko Sasagawa from KHR: My two favorite females in the series. They are mostly hate on by yaoi fangirls cause they get in the way of their OTP. Also they are far from useless just cause they don't fight doesn't mean they need to be tossed aside. Their purpose in the series is to provide emotional support to Tsuna when he needs it and provides normality in his life.

Saji Crossroad and Louise Halevy from Gundam 00: They are the reason I watched this series in the first place and why I didn't drop it in the insanely boring first few episodes.

Quess, Hathaway, and Gyunei from CCA: they are the sole reason I bought the movie cause I played them in the Dynasty Warriors game and thought they were interesting.

Lizzy from Kuroshitsuji: cause she is useless and annoying. I'm not going to argue on the annoying part since that is solely an opinion, but if you read up to the current chapter then

Spoiler for spoilers for current chapters:

Kazumi Yoshida from Shakugan no Shana: Yes there is a fan of her and that might as well be me. 90% of hate comes from the fact she is a cockblock. Fanbases should know that most of the time the main guy will either end up with the main girl or no one.

I haven't read spoilers to the light novels so I don't know who he ends up with in the end. I personally want him to end up with Shana and Yoshida coming to the realization that there is a person that actually wants to be with her. Long story short Shana can have Yuuji for all I care cause Ike/Yoshida= my OTP.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 02:30   Link #80
Fuyuno
Banned

85% of the heroines of 'smutty' shoujo mangas except ones that authored by Shinjou Mayu(you don't know how hard I try to avoid mentioning her name). Well its true some of them are MEANT to be hated by the target audiences but I think some of them are not that unsympathetic.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, enjoyed, hated, personal