AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-12-24, 05:35   Link #61
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I feel pretty similar to how I felt after watching Attack of the Clones.

Pretty pictures, no substance.

Sorry Mr. Cameron, District 9 is still the best sci-fi film in years.
Yeah District 9 is far better.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 08:16   Link #62
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It was nice. Yeah I understand its not so revolutionary, but I'm sure if I gobbled this "candy" all day even the best would seem mediocre. Though I have to admit it did feel in some places like recycled titanic.
Old 2009-12-24, 10:19   Link #63
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I thought it was ok. Stupidity on both sides annoyed me in the final battle though.

Spoiler:

Aside from that, I really liked the movie. Some people complained about the various characters in the movie being flat, but I thought they were all really interesting to watch interact on screen. Jakes boundless energy that he displays throughout the movie really is refreshing with all the genuinely emo protagonists you get in movies lately.

And Quaritch is a supreme badass.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 14:53   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Roger Rambo's remarks are typical when someone who understands a topic (like battlefield tactics, for example) goes to see a movie where they didn't hire an advisor with knowledge on the subject.

I remember a movie in the 80s that utilized some flight simulation equipment my company worked on --- we went to see it and spent the entire movie just dropping our jaws at the fundamental errors in dialog, continuity, tactics.... almost every technical aspect was screwed up.

Once at NASA, a movie team put out a call for NASA engineers as extras for a modern movie they were making. We showed up .... they spent the longest time not believing we were engineers... no white shirts, crew cuts, or pocket protectors. It ranged from business casual types to long-haired motorcycle looks and other vectors of fashion.

Apollo 13 was probably one of the few movies where those of us old enough to remember didn't cringe too often. But that's because the director cared about such details.

The sad thing is that it really doesn't cost much in the big picture to run things by someone with a clue.
Old 2009-12-24, 16:09   Link #65
Tiberium Wolf

But if a movie become too complex to the normal person to understand then it won't sell. I guess there is no in between. It's either very complex or just full of flaws. As long as the flawed sell they don't care anyway.
Old 2009-12-24, 16:27   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It doesn't have to be "complex" to be right, stupendous, or gripping. It just means the directors didn't bother to fact-check the topic even when it wouldn't have hurt the story at all.

Movies with technical advisers and good research just tend to have more authentic feel and a solidity to them even if the viewer isn't consciously aware of it.
Old 2009-12-24, 17:19   Link #67
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
But if a movie become too complex to the normal person to understand then it won't sell. I guess there is no in between. It's either very complex or just full of flaws. As long as the flawed sell they don't care anyway.
Of course there is an in between. Nobody (even nit pickers like me) expect a movie to be perfect. We'd just like the mistakes/silly things to not be to blatant.

Then there's the fact that the Na'vi making this kind of the mistake hurts the viewers willingness to identify the Na'vi by themselves as badass. Seeing a group being sold as badass by the film only for them to be utterlly curb stomped largely because they did really stupid things does hurt the audiences ability to identify the group as badass.

Spoiler for film:
Old 2009-12-24, 18:31   Link #68
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yeah District 9 is far better.
*agrees* loved the gravity gun pig bullet.
Old 2009-12-24, 18:32   Link #69
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
*agrees* loved the gravity gun pig bullet.
Fuck year.
Old 2009-12-24, 18:38   Link #70
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Heh, the only tactics they ever had in Dragonball Z were huge energy beams and flash steps. Did it sell? Yup, and they wanted more.
Avatar was not made to make people think. It was made to empty their minds and make them lose themselves in the pretty visuals. So realism is the least of this movie's problems.
Beyond that... How Star Wars should have ended or any other film out there (Eagles) are also not made to be convincing to the mind but appealing to the eye and heart. For example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YbvYtcKhjY
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 19:36   Link #71
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Heh, the only tactics they ever had in Dragonball Z were huge energy beams and flash steps. Did it sell? Yup, and they wanted more.
Your looking at the difference between unrealism and stylized unrealism. If they're intentionally making it unrealistic in stylized manner it's different than it just being unrealistic. Look at 300.
Quote:
Avatar was not made to make people think. It was made to empty their minds and make them lose themselves in the pretty visuals. So realism is the least of this movie's problems.
Well Cameron did say he wanted to make the audience comfortable with the Human technology. Which is why the Humans were using an STL starship and were generally using fairly conventionally tech. It's not like Star Wars or Star Trek where everything is amazing and fantastic. It has a much more grounded in reality.
Quote:
Beyond that... How Star Wars should have ended or any other film out there (Eagles) are also not made to be convincing to the mind but appealing to the eye and heart. For example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YbvYtcKhjY
I understand that, and furthermore I can understand it in relation to this movie. If you wanted to go the absolutely most realistic and pragmatic route for the film, Qauritch would have just ordered their starship to give the Na'vi a good hard Kzinti lesson when they were massing in large enough numbers to threaten the colony. But that wouldn't be fun, so we gotta have the mercs ride in their gunships to fight with the Na'vi in an epic ground battle.
Old 2009-12-24, 23:35   Link #72
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Just came back from seeing it with friends. I could have really done without all the political references and messages Cameron tried so hard to show. I'll admit, it did bother me seeing them being shown all the time.

Having said that, the movie was a visual masterpiece, and I easily found myself liking most of the characters and their roles in the movie. I would see it again.

And as a sci-fi, District 9 is VASTLY superior to Avatar.
Old 2009-12-24, 23:43   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... one film is "escapism", the other solid "sci fi".
Old 2009-12-25, 01:29   Link #74
Traece
:cool:

Personally I can't find myself saying anything negative about the movie overall. Going in to the theater my expectations were somewhat low considering the fact that James Cameroon spent about half an hour at the last E3 during the Microsoft Press Conference babbling on about how great his movie was. So then, color me surprised when I found out that his movie was actually good. It had its flaws like the above mentioned lack of tactics on the part of an ex-Marine.

Mostly the good part of the movie is just the fact that they did a more than acceptable job of creating a new world with new concepts and despite it being a sci-fi keeping it approachable for a broad audience. They put enough fascinating science in there to make it interesting and kept enough of it under wraps to keep the story from being confusing for those not capable of handling it.

It's no masterpiece but it's also not something to scoff at. Of all the things to note about it, it has exceptional work put in visually. Movies definitely have come a long way.

Now if James Cameroon would just take the time to make movies that aren't trying to make a statement about the world's current state of affairs. But hey, Hollywood seems to think the more times they blow the planet up the sooner we'll realize we're screwing it up. Let them do what they want. =D
Old 2009-12-25, 03:02   Link #75
Flo
The Necessary Evil

I wish I had a flamethrower with me when I realized that I was watching a movie about blue furries.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 12:25   Link #76
Wargumm1i
Hentai

This was one of the best movies Iv ever seen, Iv seen it twice both in 2-D and 3-D, might go again soon until I get sick lol. Even though people who arent all into the whole Sci-Fi, fantasy thing, you got too admit that Avatar was magical and beautiful beyond your wildest dreams.

Also people may not notes, but Avatar is actually quite accurate too the problems in the world where in both Africa and South America, people are tearing down forests and causing people who live in the forests Tribs etc etc alot of pain, this movie in a way refected on that with more magical way and got alot of people thinking...

I also have really really really great news for those who loved the Avatar as much as I do... Sequal not only that but 2 sequals are planned if the movie goes as planned.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...18/story.jhtml

So yeah as you can see, James Cameron is aiming on making Avatar into a trilogy like, LOTR, Aliens, Star Wars etc etc... and the staff members, actors are all ready too go for another few years.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 14:58   Link #77
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Hey guys, wanna kwow beforehand the story in the sequels?
Watch Pokahondas 2 and 3.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 17:01   Link #78
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
This was just such a great movie, I never wanted it to end. Hope there are sequels soon.
Solidus1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 18:20   Link #79
karthak
Baruk Khazad

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I could have really done without all the political references and messages Cameron tried so hard to show. I'll admit, it did bother me seeing them being shown all the time.
I actually liked the political messages. Pro-green and anti-imperialist? Right up my alley. Loved how he had the bad guys quote the Bush administration.
karthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 18:49   Link #80
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I was really confused by them saying in th beginning of the movie how tough the Na'Vi (sp?) skin was and how they're bones were epicly strong but the bullets pierced right through them like they were human.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote