Old 2008-10-10, 06:07   Link #241
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I just seen that as Renji trying to confuse her just as she's woken up, though didn't work at all. Of course there could be more of a meaning behind it, though we'll have to ask game players.
Well, having seen some of the discussion from game players on various places of the internet, the indication was that it wasn't a joke. It's... weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
But anyway, I just took it as Renji making a joke, and that Mizuki was too dense to catch him for it. But now your post has caused me to have doubts. Renji doesn't seem to be the sort of guy to tease a girl like that.
Yeah I don't think it was supposed to be a joke either. For one, Renji is the serious-type guy who doesn't joke around much. Two, it would be flaky and weird for Renji to be making a joke like that in that situation....
Old 2008-10-10, 06:17   Link #242
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Renji has a very dry sense of humor, so i can could see him pulling of a joke like that, though as Sorrow-K mentioned, game players have been talking about it so i was wrong.
Old 2008-10-10, 06:50   Link #243
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
What does the spoiler policy say?
I'm not really sure, that's the thing. I've seen people get called out for putting spoilers about the source material of an anime behind tags, but it seems to happen kind of haphazardly.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 07:23   Link #244
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Generally we prefer for as little source information to be posted in anime threads as possible If someone wishes to be spoiled we would largely prefer that people send private messages instead of posting game spoilers in the thread.

That said, Renji's line certainly calls for some pondering to be done, does it not ?
Old 2008-10-10, 07:24   Link #245
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Faced with the prospect of one of 2007's best anime being set in my home country, possibly even home town, I just had to do some more research and get a definitive answer.

Spoiler for ef ~ a tale of memories and episode 1 of melodies:

Yeah, it's still inconclusive, so only game players will know for sure. If ef turned out to be set in two different places, and I wouldn't put it past the genius minds behind ef, then that would be pretty epic. I only briefly skimmed through each of the episodes, so I probably missed a lot. Can anyone add anymore points supporting the Australia argument?
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 08:24   Link #246
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
Spoiler for ef ~ a tale of memories and episode 1 of melodies:
Spoiler for reply to Eczema:
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 08:41   Link #247
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Spoiler for reply to Eczema:
Spoiler for Ascaloth:
Old 2008-10-10, 09:06   Link #248
gaguri

Also, many Asians I know (those who came to Australia near the end of high schooling) spent about a year in Language schools in Australia before entering high school. I too haven't heard of Australian schools teaching similar curriculum that are specifically designed for people from a foreign country, certainly not a Japanese one in Sydney since the number of Japanese here are relatively fewer than say, Brisbane.

Anyway, I am surprised at the possibility of them being located at Melbourne, since the setting didn't remind me anything of my last visit. Although admittedly, they didn't show much other than few households.
Old 2008-10-10, 09:08   Link #249
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Not specifically Melbourne. It could be any Aussie city. I just said that the Victorian-style houses that Renji and Kuze live in can be found in the heart of Melbourne, albeit they are quite old and in a shambles now. Not sure if similar housing exists in other Australian cities.
Old 2008-10-10, 09:13   Link #250
gaguri

I would definitely say the houses look Western. I don't see anything particular that screams Australian though.
Old 2008-10-10, 09:16   Link #251
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
Also, many Asians I know (those who came to Australia near the end of high schooling) spent about a year in Language schools in Australia before entering high school. I too haven't heard of Australian schools teaching similar curriculum that are specifically designed for people from a foreign country, certainly not a Japanese one in Sydney since the number of Japanese here are relatively fewer than say, Brisbane.
Not an enormous Japanese population here. Massive Chinese and Vietnamese populations, particularly in some areas, but not so Japanese. If we're going by significant Japanese demographic, then the Gold Coast is the obvious place (I didn't want to bring this up earlier because it could be misconstrued as slightly racist). But I don't think it's the Gold Coast. Did you see the beach? It's so drab and depressing, not like Surfers.

Spoiler for speculation:

Edit:
Spoiler for more speculation:
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 09:16   Link #252
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaguri View Post
I would definitely say the houses look Western. I don't see anything particular that screams Australian though.
They look distinctly British. And Australia is a former British colony so a lot of the older houses share the same architecture. It's not a definitive point on which to say that ef is set in Australia, but it should be considered.

Quote:
Not an enormous Japanese population here. Massive Chinese and Vietnamese populations, particularly in some areas, but not so Japanese. If we're going by significant Japanese demographic, then the Gold Coast is the obvious place (I didn't want to bring this up earlier because it could be misconstrued as slightly racist). But I don't think it's the Gold Coast. Did you see the beach? It's so drab and depressing, not like Surfers.

Spoiler for speculation:
I did some research and Otowa is incorporated into the city of Toyokawa, which is part of a prefecture in which the capital is Nagoya. One of Nagoya's sister cities is, you guessed it, Sydney, Australia.

On the topic of the beaches, St. Kilda beach in Melbourne has a similarly thin strip of open, unrestricted beach with houses overlooking it.
Old 2008-10-10, 09:28   Link #253
gaguri

My bad. My experience in Brisbane is interlinked with Gold Coast so :/
Old 2008-10-10, 09:31   Link #254
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:

Edit:
Spoiler for more speculation:
The problem there is that there's way too many small Australian coastal towns that it could be. We'd be here all night. But what the hell. If Otowa has Nagoya, then what is Sydney's equivalent?

On the topic of Japanese population distribution in Australia, I can say that there are relatively few here in Melbourne. Most Asians here are Chinese, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Hong Kong, and Indian. Japanese and Koreans are pretty rare.
Old 2008-10-10, 10:25   Link #255
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

How many years has it been since the events transpired in Tales of Memories? This episode mentioned something about everyone being in Australia, and Kuze just returned from his trip? The timeline is pretty confusing, so anyone who knows would be a great help!
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 12:13   Link #256
NaweG
Just some guy

Given the traffic, I gather this isn't likely to get a section of it's own with image and other threads. So, instead of adding spoilers here (although I personally like such things), could someone give us a link to the Game thread on AS (assuming there is one), and then those of us who WANT to know can go find out?
NaweG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 12:52   Link #257
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
How many years has it been since the events transpired in Tales of Memories?
It was not mentioned in the first episode of melodies, so as of now it is impossible for we anime watchers to know the answer. You're gonna have to ask to be spoiled.
Old 2008-10-10, 13:02   Link #258
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Given the traffic, I gather this isn't likely to get a section of it's own with image and other threads. So, instead of adding spoilers here (although I personally like such things), could someone give us a link to the Game thread on AS (assuming there is one), and then those of us who WANT to know can go find out?
I checked the game thread, but as far as I know, there is no thread for ef~A Fairy Tale of The Two. The only way to get the spoiler is through asking those who have played the game to PM or with spoiler tags.

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 14:44   Link #259
NaweG
Just some guy

In that case, please PM and spoil me rotten

If it's easier, and there's a good synopsis of the story somewhere, that would be fine too.
NaweG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 16:55   Link #260
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Last time i checked, pedophilia is a sexual preference towards pre-pubescent children. And last time i checked, Mizuki should be around 18 years old, considering she is entering university (and she isn't remotely loli by any sensible standards).
Spoiler for Mizuki's age and a bit of [Chihiro]'s mistranslation:
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, shaft