Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-26, 12:44   Link #81
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I do have one more thing to say. KyoAni should have tried to create a more easily searched title for this show. I have been trying to gather people's reactions to the news online, but typing "Free!" in the search engine is an act of futility.
I agree. I think that titles for entertainment need to be snappy and memorable (although not necessarily short), and at the same time be unique and separable from daily speech, unlike say, Air, Robots, Up, Working, et cetera.

This is probably irrelevant to the marketing process, though, since "free" is an English word and the show is being released in Japan.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:50   Link #82
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

It really isn't very different from Kuroko no Basket in terms of bishies and bromance, which even guys fawn over.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:50   Link #83
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
I do have one more thing to say. KyoAni should have tried to create a more easily searched title for this show. I have been trying to gather people's reactions to the news online, but typing "Free!" in the search engine is an act of futility.
Actually it would be fun it the tittle was...

Its free!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 13:41   Link #84
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This is just disappointing news. The obvious fujiyoshi pandering is obvious of course, but I could care less about what target audience KyoAni is trying to reach for. What concerns me is that there is nothing daring about this work on the surface. KyoAni is so firmly entrenched in a world of frivolity and idealism that they will never be able to put their talents as animators to any higher artistic purpose. They don't strive to be anything more than what they are. I'd be angrier if it were not for the Kyoukai announcement, but I'm disappointed that they decided to make such a gimmicky anime.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 13:42   Link #85
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Everyone's reaction is so funny. I doubt I will be watching this but I got a good laugh.
Old 2013-04-26, 13:45   Link #86
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
KyoAni is so firmly entrenched in a world of frivolity and idealism that they will never be able to put their talents as animators to any higher artistic purpose.
.......and you notice this now?

KyoAni wants to make money. They make stuff that sells.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 13:50   Link #87
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
This is just disappointing news. The obvious fujiyoshi pandering is obvious of course, but I could care less about what target audience KyoAni is trying to reach for. What concerns me is that there is nothing daring about this work on the surface. KyoAni is so firmly entrenched in a world of frivolity and idealism that they will never be able to put their talents as animators to any higher artistic purpose. They don't strive to be anything more than what they are. I'd be angrier if it were not for the Kyoukai announcement, but I'm disappointed that they decided to make such a gimmicky anime.
Everyone want someone ELSE to be the starving artist. But no one want to BE one themselves.

KyoAni is doing what they always do. Serve their customers well. It's just happened that this time it is a different group of customers.

As for gimmicky anime? I don't see how you can judge that from what we know.
Old 2013-04-26, 14:05   Link #88
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

*watches PV, reads thread*
Oh so Lantis is in charge of the music...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudenvy View Post
Spoiler for space:

MC confirmed for hottest dude.
No wonder BGM around 0:37 - 0:43 sounded so familiar...

Reused 2:13-2:29~
Spoiler for space:

Oh~ is that you Tatsuya Katou? Edit: Oh so it's already confirmed he did it. More delicious Tatsuya music then.

Well won't hurt to check this out in the summer.

As for those reactions to this everywhere else...oh boy.

Last edited by FlavoryFantasy; 2013-04-26 at 14:21.
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:09   Link #89
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
KyoAni is so firmly entrenched in a world of frivolity and idealism that they will never be able to put their talents as animators to any higher artistic purpose. They don't strive to be anything more than what they are. I'd be angrier if it were not for the Kyoukai announcement, but I'm disappointed that they decided to make such a gimmicky anime.
Wait, you think Kyoukai no Kanata is going to be some visionary piece with "higher artistic purpose"?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:16   Link #90
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post

lol

Ive been saying the same thing years.

Quote:
Everyone want someone ELSE to be the starving artist. But no one want to BE one themselves.

KyoAni is doing what they always do. Serve their customers well. It's just happened that this time it is a different group of customers.

As for gimmicky anime? I don't see how you can judge that from what we know.
It's gimmicky because it looks like little else than pandering so far. Hopefully it has something more than that but kyoani record on this front past few years isn't too flattering.

Anyhow I'm not asking for kyoani to be like David lynch here.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:19   Link #91
HosannaExcelsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post

If all KyoAni wanted to do was make money, I don't think they would have made Hyouka or Tamako Market. They wouldn't have cut off their partnership with Key. They would be milking Haruhi and K-ON more.

No, KyoAni makes what they want to make. Just because they're not making what you want them to make doesn't make them some cynical cabal who don't care about what they make except inasmuch as it can be manufactured to appeal to the preferences of otaku. That description better fits modern Sunrise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Wait, you think Kyoukai no Kanata is going to be some visionary piece with "higher artistic purpose"?
Also this.
HosannaExcelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:25   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
If all KyoAni wanted to do was make money, I don't think they would have made Hyouka or Tamako Market. They wouldn't have cut off their partnership with Key. They would be milking Haruhi and K-ON more.
Key wasn't cut off. They just couldn't wait for the studio who was booked up. And in case you don't know, KyoAni does NOT own the rights to Haruhi or K-On. You can't milk a cow you don't own.
Old 2013-04-26, 14:33   Link #93
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Bunch of moe dudes.
Human torso.
Free eye candy.

I am going to open a time portal and time travel to July.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:37   Link #94
HosannaExcelsis

Quote:
Key wasn't cut off. They just couldn't wait for the studio who was booked up. And in case you don't know, KyoAni does NOT own the rights to Haruhi or K-On. You can't milk a cow you don't own.
I am well aware of KyoAni's relationship with Key, Kadokawa, and Pony Canyon. But they do have a certain ability to pick and choose their productions at this point. If they really wanted big anime sales above all else, they would have made sure their schedule was clear for things like Little Busters and further continuations of Haruhi/K-ON instead. Instead, Takemoto convinced Kadokawa to let him adapt Hyouka because he liked the novels, and the K-ON team worked on an original IP instead of K-ON season 3.

It just frustrates me to see people call KyoAni out as "panderers", as if they don't care about what they make beyond its possibility for money making. It's not like Free is a guaranteed mega-hit either.
HosannaExcelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:40   Link #95
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
As far as I know (and I'm no expert), this isn't completely true, especially for K-On. KyoAni had a much larger role in producing K-On than a normal studio does for any of its adaptations. (This is just speculation, but) if they wanted to produce more K-On, they would have a lot more leverage in saying whether they could or not. What would stop them from doing it? Pony Canyon, who is helping to produce all of their light novel projects except for this one? TBS, who helped them produce K-On and Tamako Market? It seems to me that they both are fine letting KyoAni make decisions on what they want to animate.

As for Haruhi, it's a matter of who's the unwilling party. If KyoAni wanted to do it, would Kadokawa turn them down? I don't think so.

Feel free to correct me on any of this. I seriously don't really know for sure and most of this is just speculative.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:50   Link #96
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
As far as I know (and I'm no expert), this isn't completely true, especially for K-On. KyoAni had a much larger role in producing K-On than a normal studio does for any of its adaptations. (This is just speculation, but) if they wanted to produce more K-On, they would have a lot more leverage in saying whether they could or not. What would stop them from doing it? Pony Canyon, who is helping to produce all of their light novel projects? TBS, who helped them produce K-On and Tamako Market? It seems to me that they both are fine letting KyoAni make decisions on what they want to animate.

As for Haruhi, it's a matter of who's the unwilling party. If KyoAni wanted to do it, would Kadokawa turn them down? I don't think so.

Feel free to correct me on any of this. I seriously don't really know for sure and most of this is just speculative.
You seem to not understand. Kyoani need more than just PERMISSION to make more K-On; they need the rights holders to also fork out their share of the money. The studio needed sponsors in order to make the thing. KyoAni isn't Disney; they can't afford it. When they adopt a series they get paid by the sponsors, so their costs are covered no matter how the DVDs sell.

Making original anime is a serious and risky undertaking. They are only now trying it out again.

Tamako Market and Chuunibyou are the original properties they made so far. They get a larger share of the profits, but since they are their own boss they can lose money. Free! would be next.

I can't help but feel it is rather arrogant to demand KyoAni to be more artistic. Especially since the unspoken expectation is that you want them to take risks for your sake. And worse, that you won't compensate for their losses. If KyoAni works are supposedly low on artistic merit, then what are other studios in comparison?

You want KyoAni to make art? Then pay them. That's how artists work, by commission. I am sure KyoAni would make any kind of high brow anime you want, to your specifications, if you just agree to finance them for the service rendered.
Old 2013-04-26, 15:00   Link #97
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
As far as I know (and I'm no expert), this isn't completely true, especially for K-On. KyoAni had a much larger role in producing K-On than a normal studio does for any of its adaptations. (This is just speculation, but) if they wanted to produce more K-On, they would have a lot more leverage in saying whether they could or not. What would stop them from doing it? Pony Canyon, who is helping to produce all of their light novel projects? TBS, who helped them produce K-On and Tamako Market? It seems to me that they both are fine letting KyoAni make decisions on what they want to animate.

Probably better for the general KyoAni thread, but meh. Here's the general production committees and shows:

Kadokawa clique: Haruhi, Lucky Star, Nichijou, Hyouka:
Kadokawa Shoten (publisher/international rights)
Kadokawa Pictures (video distributor/domestic distribution (TV and internet), later combined into Shoten)
Kyoto Animation (animation production)
(Lantis) - Only in a couple of shows (music distribution/production in all shows)
Klockworx (rental distribution)

TBS clique: AIR, Kanon, Clannad, K-On!:
TBS - (main financier/domestic distribution (TV and internet)/international rights)
Pony Canyon - (video distributor/music distributor/producer (K-On! only)
MOVIC - merchandise/live event producer
Kyoto Animation - (animation production)

KyoAni clique: Chuunibyou, Tamako Market:
Kyoto Animation - (publisher/animation production)
Pony Canyon - (video distributor/music distributor/producer (Tamako only)
(Lantis) - (music producer/distributor - Chuunibyou only)
TBS - (digital distribution/international rights)

Basically the general rule of thumb with committees is that, the higher you are, the more you put in and the more you get in return. Just by taking a look at the structure, you see KyoAni getting much more of the returns for these original shows than by adapting something from Kadokawa/Key. I've not actually seen Key's spot in the production committee for their shows, so I'm not sure where they lie. It's quite simple to see why they want to do originals rather than adaptations: it pays more even if they sell less discs. Of course, they're also running a higher risk.

What's interesting with FREE! is that it's also produced by Asahi Broadcasting (ABC), who already has their site up for the series. As you'll note above, they've not been listed on any of the previous committees, so we're in unchartered territories here. Here's what we know about FREE!'s committee:
KyoAni (animation production/rights holder/original creator)
Asahi Broadcasting (television rights/domestic distribution (TV/internet))
Lantis (music production/distribution)

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 15:02   Link #98
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I came to see the hatred and I have not been disappointed

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I hope the fujoushi realize that if they don't put their money where their mouth is, they will probably never see something like this again.
Durarara, UtaPri, Hakuoki, Tiger and Bunny and not to mention all of those otome games that are getting anime adaptions this summer all say "YO.'

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-04-26 at 16:00. Reason: Removed unnecessary provocation
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 15:04   Link #99
Jarmel

Quote:
I can't help but feel it is rather arrogant to demand KyoAni to be more artistic. Especially since the unspoken expectation is that you want them to take risks for your sake. And worse, that you won't compensate for their losses. If KyoAni works are supposedly low on artistic merit, then what are other studios in comparison?
First instinct for me would Production IG.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 15:10   Link #100
Kirarakim

To be fair most guys have been perfectly cool about this from what I've seen. Things are a bit worse on MAL and heard on 4chan (I don't go to that site).

Not sure what the reaction is like in Japan yet.

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation