AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-07-30, 06:48   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

GATE - Character Discussion - Itami Youji

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Itami Youji related.

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all GATE fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by Flower; 2015-07-30 at 07:08.
Old 2015-08-01, 22:32   Link #2
rladls2121

I have nothing to say about this character.
Or rather I don't know what to say about him.
Whatever sake he is fighting for, he is just doing what he thinks he have to do.
That is all.
Old 2015-08-01, 22:34   Link #3
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

He's a good somewhat ordinary guy. I don't think there's much else to say.

His character is improving each episode, but I still see him as an ordinary dude.
Old 2016-01-30, 10:33   Link #4
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Ok let see i have several things to ask about Itami particularly about his romance and harem
how many girls in his harem so far?
Did Itami has a child? (i heard he divorced)
Does Mari and Shino ( the Soldier girls) are part of Itami harem as well? i hope is not.
if this allowed i want to ask who is the romantic interest of Mari and Shino then?
Old 2016-01-31, 23:09   Link #5
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Ok let see i have several things to ask about Itami particularly about his romance and harem
how many girls in his harem so far?
Did Itami has a child? (i heard he divorced)
Does Mari and Shino ( the Soldier girls) are part of Itami harem as well? i hope is not.
if this allowed i want to ask who is the romantic interest of Mari and Shino then?
You know, every one of these questions could be answered by reading the manga or watching the anime...
Old 2016-02-01, 01:31   Link #6
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
He's a good somewhat ordinary guy. I don't think there's much else to say.

His character is improving each episode, but I still see him as an ordinary dude.
My interpretation is that he isn't the best there is, there are far more skilled soldiers in JSDF. But Itami is qualified and adequately skilled. A hero isn't determined by how much better he is, but by what he actually accomplishes. Despite not being the best, Itami still qualified for his role and completes his missions. You don't need to be the best, you just need to be good enough.
Old 2016-12-13, 05:07   Link #7
Ghostfriendly

Itami reminds me of the Sirian Cybernetics Corp designer personalities from Douglas Adams. These synthetic humans were given a raft of personality traits that could never naturally coexist, resulting in 'sad, pathetic misfits'. Itami was designed to be a put-upon slacker that otaku could relate to, while simultaneously being a heroic, all-capable ranger who they could admire, ignoring contradiction between 'slacker' and 'ranger', and the confident self-motivation this character would realistically need to take the role in the series he does. Even worse, I haven't seen the required serious motivation developed in him (as it realistically should have been) by any of the adventures prior to ep 9, when everything started getting far too silly.

Sataka Gintoki, btw, combines the slacker and heroic warrior roles perfectly by playing into the drunken master and self-loathing hero archetypes, as well as starring in a good, zany fantasy, rather than a series with pretensions towards serious real-world relevence, that attempts to puff up a real military through sexually-charged wish fulfilment.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters