AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-03, 22:06   Link #21
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
wow. the novel has much more detail then the anime.

While i'm sad we don't get to see this animated, it does compliment the story universe, in that you have the sense of the global conflict.

It's a bit like star trek, they can keep adding new bits to the untold story of the witches,

i hope that ground infantry witches will show up in this novel! i know the new manga, feature the African campaign, ripe with armoured infantry ground witches.

ground infantry witches might also show up on the Orussia front! Battle of Kurst perhaps?!

Jadgerpanthers? Tigers? T34? IS Stalin Mark 1? so much to look forward too!

i hope so¬
Old 2008-09-04, 00:16   Link #22
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
i hope that ground infantry witches will show up in this novel!
Spoiler for novels up to vol. 3:
Old 2008-09-04, 18:55   Link #23
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

love romantic comedy.

i also like the added detail of the animal familiar which actually makes more sense, then the simplified version they show in the anime.
Old 2008-09-10, 23:58   Link #24
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Another chapter done, but for a different if related project.

I'm translating Der Stern von Afrika, the novelette that was included in the recent semi-official doujinshi, and chapter one is done. There is a fairly lengthy section on the course of the war which might be interesting, and there are also references to every form of SW produced so far.

Spoiler for references:
Chapter 2 is about half a page long (this was 3 pages), so it'll be quick . The entire thing is only about 15 pages long, so I'll probably finish this then go back to Chapter 3 of the first novel.
Old 2008-09-11, 04:26   Link #25
ShinigamiRukia
Ketchup Drinker

Send a message via MSN to ShinigamiRukia
Oh, this novel is great.
I hope it is okay to ask, is there somewhere I could purchase the novels?
Thanks.

Thanks mangalowres for the avatar ^^
Thanks vandakiara
for the sig. ^^
Old 2008-09-11, 06:52   Link #26
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinigamiRukia View Post
Oh, this novel is great.
I hope it is okay to ask, is there somewhere I could purchase the novels?
Thanks.
you can, but it's only in Japanese/Chinese(?)

so i suppose you can try japanese amazon

i would say yesasia, but i heard they stopped.
Old 2008-09-11, 21:03   Link #27
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
Another chapter done, but for a different if related project.
Thanks again, selkirk! That's really good stuff.

Interesting that the 501st was on the drawing board for so many years, considering how little use they've actually been put to in the TV series. Then again, from what I've read, the manga depiction of those events seems much closer to the rest of the Strike Witches canon than the TV series, so perhaps we'll see more happen there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
i would say yesasia, but i heard they stopped.
YesAsia say they can't get stock of any of the three novel volumes. Last I checked, amazon.co.jp had stock of novels 1 and 2. I think selkirk has since said they've got novel 3.

I'm planning to try Kinokuniya. In the meantime, an inexpensive stopgap can be had by purchasing the novels as e-books from:

http://dl.rakuten.co.jp/attr/92212948/da30_1.html

No illustrations, and you'll need to download Japanese reader software, but otherwise perfectly serviceable (and much more convenient than waiting for shipping from Japan).
Old 2008-09-11, 23:21   Link #28
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Well, it took longer than I expected because of some work-related junk, but chapter 2 completed. \o/

And various fanart/official art of novel characters.
Spoiler for space:
There's hardly any artwork of the novel characters around, and that Katharine pic is the ONLY one not of Tomoko (at least that I've found). D:
Shame not much fanart of Beurling, I kind of like her maverick attitude.
Old 2008-09-12, 03:03   Link #29
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Shame not much fanart of Beurling, I kind of like her maverick attitude.
Change 'not much' to 'none' . Too bad, too. She's probably my favorite character.
Heck, even Ursula got fanart before her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
YesAsia say they can't get stock of any of the three novel volumes. Last I checked, amazon.co.jp had stock of novels 1 and 2. I think selkirk has since said they've got novel 3.

I'm planning to try Kinokuniya. In the meantime, an inexpensive stopgap can be had by purchasing the novels as e-books from:

http://dl.rakuten.co.jp/attr/92212948/da30_1.html

No illustrations, and you'll need to download Japanese reader software, but otherwise perfectly serviceable (and much more convenient than waiting for shipping from Japan).
Well, Amazon.jp seems to have 3rd novel back in stock again, but now the 2nd novel is out of stock .
Yesasia seems to have book 3 in stock again, but I wouldn't trust their "availability" <_<. Books 1 and 2 are out of stock.
Toranoana seems to still have small amounts of the doujinshi available as well.

Anyway, chapter 2 of Der Stern von Afrika is done. Like I said, it's really short so don't expect much.
Old 2008-09-12, 03:34   Link #30
ShinigamiRukia
Ketchup Drinker

Send a message via MSN to ShinigamiRukia
Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks mangalowres for the avatar ^^
Thanks vandakiara
for the sig. ^^
Old 2008-09-12, 06:19   Link #31
Hessi

Thanks for those translations, i nearly check daily if there is something new .

I really like the fact that the people doing the books/anime have a lot of background knowledge and seem to have really read up on the pilots they portray. Best example is chapter 2 that was recently translated, it refers to a scene that is not on Marseilles wiki page, but in his biography (this is how I remember it, and do not have the book around currently):

Marseille had just transfered to Africa, and when transfering to the front airfields, he crashed his Me 109 when it developed mechanical problems. His commander, who was not really fond of him back then told him to find a way to get to his new post on his own (expecting him to need a few days to arrive). Marseille, being pretty straightforward, approached a german Oberst and asked to lend his car to get to his unit. The Oberst being a bit baffled at this young officers total lack of proper military protocol but nevertheless impressed by his audacity, lend him his car, but told him he had to get at least 50 kills to be worth it. Marseille agreed, took the car, and arrived at his new airfield far sooner than anyone expected him.

Last edited by Hessi; 2008-09-12 at 06:46.
Old 2008-09-12, 10:01   Link #32
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessi View Post
Thanks for those translations, i nearly check daily if there is something new .

I really like the fact that the people doing the books/anime have a lot of background knowledge and seem to have really read up on the pilots they portray. Best example is chapter 2 that was recently translated, it refers to a scene that is not on Marseilles wiki page, but in his biography (this is how I remember it, and do not have the book around currently):

Marseille had just transfered to Africa, and when transfering to the front airfields, he crashed his Me 109 when it developed mechanical problems. His commander, who was not really fond of him back then told him to find a way to get to his new post on his own (expecting him to need a few days to arrive). Marseille, being pretty straightforward, approached a german Oberst and asked to lend his car to get to his unit. The Oberst being a bit baffled at this young officers total lack of proper military protocol but nevertheless impressed by his audacity, lend him his car, but told him he had to get at least 50 kills to be worth it. Marseille agreed, took the car, and arrived at his new airfield far sooner than anyone expected him.
Huh. Never would've thought that it'd be a real event.

Chapter 3 done. Another short chapter, featuring Gunther Rall.
Old 2008-09-12, 15:09   Link #33
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Ah, what a shame...at least until the Gonzo realises the potential of merging both novel and anime together (although Elizabeth will not likely appear in actual combat since by then she would be 24, way over the recommended age of using a striker unit.). And whats makes Elizabeth so awesome?

And anyone got the Novel 2 and 3 illustrations?

And also, a note of reference in the relationship chart, Lynette is related to Elizabeth in some way apparently.

Last edited by asaqe; 2008-09-12 at 16:01.
Old 2008-10-10, 02:14   Link #34
Torri_fay_torren@hot
Former # 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Ah, what a shame...at least until the Gonzo realises the potential of merging both novel and anime together (although Elizabeth will not likely appear in actual combat since by then she would be 24, way over the recommended age of using a striker unit.). And whats makes Elizabeth so awesome?

And anyone got the Novel 2 and 3 illustrations?

And also, a note of reference in the relationship chart, Lynette is related to Elizabeth in some way apparently.
It's her attitude. She's cool. Bad A without even trying. And she is the only one that looks close to Tomoko in skill level.
Old 2008-10-13, 09:15   Link #35
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Well, might as well post this here as well.
Quote:
In the third novel, Maresciallo Giuseppina Cenni (aka "The Non-Commissioned General) goes through something similar.
Spoiler:

Anyway, there's a scene or two where the Neuroi communicate directly into the mind of the brainwashed troops. There's no actual physical manipulation though, just mental.
Spoiler for Book 3, end of chapter 7:
Old 2008-10-13, 16:42   Link #36
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Wish we had the image just for that
Old 2008-10-13, 23:32   Link #37
Torri_fay_torren@hot
Former # 47

Quote:
Well, might as well post this here as well.

Spoiler for Book 3, end of chapter 7:
This is latter own in the series? AAHHHH I can't read this!!!!! Must....re...sist... NOOOOO!!!!!

Other note. I really like this series. There is so much detail put in place. The fights are great.

Last edited by Torri_fay_torren@hot; 2008-10-23 at 15:02.
Old 2009-01-18, 11:03   Link #38
Bluejay
Paintballer/Drummer/Nerd

Ahhhh, Please tell me this project isn't dead!!! I love this novel!
Old 2009-01-18, 19:37   Link #39
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

It's not. Been busy.
Old 2009-01-18, 20:10   Link #40
Torri_fay_torren@hot
Former # 47

Quote:
It's not. Been busy.
It's fine we understand