Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-04-23, 12:50   Link #661
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'll share what a friend of mine, a former nominated member of Parliament in Singapore, wrote about a week ago.

========================

ADDENDUM: Anyway, interesting preliminary findings from the first batch of antibody tests in New York.

Up to 2.7 Million in New York may have been infected, antibody study finds

^ Essentially, if that is true, then the actual death rate will be driven far downwards. Expect to see growing questions on whether the lockdowns were truly worth the economic pain.
Once the health crisis is passed while the economic one lingers, I suspect the answer, for a lot of people, is going to be "no". They may also forget the difference between the death rate when hospitals are stressed, and when they are completely overwhelmed.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 14:02   Link #662
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

When Denver backed off social distancing in the 1918 pandemic, the results were deadly

For the TL;DR crowd: "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it"
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 16:30   Link #663
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Once the health crisis is passed while the economic one lingers, I suspect the answer, for a lot of people, is going to be "no". They may also forget the difference between the death rate when hospitals are stressed, and when they are completely overwhelmed.
Indeed. It's also easy to not understand exponential growth rates unless you've seen it.

The rates of death were doubling every 2-3 days before the lockdowns. In other words, wait another two weeks or so and the hospitalisation rates would have been at least 10x what we actually saw. Which would have blown past the capacity of most health systems - even with the lockdown it got close in a number of places. If you blow past your critical health care capacity by a factor of 10 then that means only 10% of people can get appropriate treatment and the rest get whatever else remains. Basically, the doctors have to start rationing their services. It seems around 5% of patients needing hospital care are dying in normal times but if you're 10x over capacity that rate might be more like 20-30% (just guessing).

Anyway, interesting data from New York state. But alternatively it means the long term death potential is about 7x what it currently is and much higher for the country as a whole. Putting it another way, if a cure isn't found soon or a way stop the virus from spreading through the whole population, you're probably looking at about 1m deaths in the next few years.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 17:14   Link #664
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
why hasn't the U.S. either nationalized its businesses, give its citizens U.B.I. for the duration of this crisis, or put a "pause" button on the economy yet

U.S. operates under MMT when it's for the big corporations while the budget is suddenly limited and Austrian for regular people

America number 1
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 17:30   Link #665
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
why hasn't the U.S. either nationalized its businesses, give its citizens U.B.I. for the duration of this crisis, or put a "pause" button on the economy yet
Because real life doesn't work that way.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 18:10   Link #666
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
Because real life doesn't work that way.
of course not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
U.S. operates under MMT when it's for the big corporations while the budget is suddenly limited and Austrian for regular people
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 18:39   Link #667
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If the US nationalized the corporations, there would be even more claims of the country turning fascist in a Nazi way.
Old 2020-04-23, 19:26   Link #668
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"if it looks like you're overreacting, you're probably doing the right thing.”

- Dr. Anthony Fauci
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 21:45   Link #669
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Some vids to share:

Gov. Cuomo is condemning the anti-lockdown protests going on.

----

Carolyn Goodman, mayor of Las Vegas, wants to badly open up the city again despite the coronavirus.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-24, 01:27   Link #670
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

OMFG

Now to be fair, U.S. government researchers determined that the coronavirus loses potency on surfaces and in the air when temperatures, humidity and sunlight rise. But that's a far cry from anything Trump suggested.

This coming after his "game changer" miracle cure, hydroxychloroquine, which didn't end up bearing out.

For god's sake leave the science talk to the science advisors and let them inform your decision making.
Old 2020-04-24, 10:21   Link #671
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Some vids to share:

Gov. Cuomo is condemning the anti-lockdown protests going on.
That video is WELL said by Governor Cuomo. "Go take a job as an essential worker." I would imagine though, that a lot of the essential jobs out in the country are being overloaded with job applications by now.

But as Governor Cuomo has kept on saying, economic hardships are very bad, but it's not death. Plain and simple.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-24, 12:23   Link #672
Johnny Dy

It is said that one of the most sought out and purchased books in these few months is The Plague by Albert Camus, in sync with this fear epidemic of the later weeks which has made me interested in the book like 10 minutes ago. It is said that a movie having the book as source has been made and it's shit because the book is 743 times better.

What I don't understand is why was it so purchased when I downloaded it from the net just now, for free.

https://antilogicalism.com/wp-conten...the-plague.pdf
Old 2020-04-24, 12:51   Link #673
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Now to be fair, U.S. government researchers determined that the coronavirus loses potency on surfaces and in the air when temperatures, humidity and sunlight rise. But that's a far cry from anything Trump suggested.

For god's sake leave the science talk to the science advisors and let them inform your decision making.
Three years into his presidency, can we really be surprised by his behavior? Donald Trump is a moron, plain and simple, who rather pay attention to his gut or fox news than hearing something he does not understand and bores him, like advisors that know what they are talking about (but could not care less about being sensationalist or entertaining). An old dog does not learn new tricks and you can bet your life savings that neither will trumpo, even if the world is set on fire. Who would have thought that the movie by Peter Sellers Being There was predicting the future? :/

Quote:
This coming after his "game changer" miracle cure, hydroxychloroquine, which didn't end up bearing out.
They say that a crisis makes the best in all of us come to the surface. What we want to forget is that it also brings the worse of us. This has gone beyond political peddling, big news network have turned hydroxi/cloroquine into a damn circus and proves that people are too deep into their info bubbles to search for facts.

Why the rant? Because the new study that CNN and other news media (eager to bash on fox news in the hope they might reap some of their viewers) was not a double blinded study, far from it. To top it off, yeah, people receiving this malaria approved drug died more often than those that did not received it. But they leave out the bit about that those that were more sick were the ones that received said treatment, while those better off did not (and some still died).

Please remember that hydroxi/cloroquine + zinc prevents virus from replicating, so the best results ought to be on people that just were diagnosed, not those already in ventilators (which btw, seem to be quite useless by some data, making patients lay on their stomach while awake seems to give better results).

Anyone wanting links to the articles talking about the above info can check med cram update #60 in youtube.
Old 2020-04-24, 19:02   Link #674
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dy View Post
What I don't understand is why was it so purchased when I downloaded it from the net just now, for free.
Without checking the link to see if it's even a legal upload, a lot of people just like the feeling of holding the book and turning the pages.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-24, 20:02   Link #675
Johnny Dy

If it's a hack, it's a damn good one. Just read about 10 pages and it's calling me in. Haven't read a book in 2 decades or so, forgot some of them are nothing short of the best art.

@: What's that word... "legal"? Weird word, don't like it.

LE: HA, on topic
Spoiler:
fragment from The Plague, by Albert Camus. Some things never change.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-04-24 at 20:48.
Johnny Dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-24, 20:21   Link #676
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
They say that a crisis makes the best in all of us come to the surface. What we want to forget is that it also brings the worse of us. This has gone beyond political peddling, big news network have turned hydroxi/cloroquine into a damn circus and proves that people are too deep into their info bubbles to search for facts.

Why the rant? Because the new study that CNN and other news media (eager to bash on fox news in the hope they might reap some of their viewers) was not a double blinded study, far from it. To top it off, yeah, people receiving this malaria approved drug died more often than those that did not received it. But they leave out the bit about that those that were more sick were the ones that received said treatment, while those better off did not (and some still died).

Please remember that hydroxi/cloroquine + zinc prevents virus from replicating, so the best results ought to be on people that just were diagnosed, not those already in ventilators (which btw, seem to be quite useless by some data, making patients lay on their stomach while awake seems to give better results).

Anyone wanting links to the articles talking about the above info can check med cram update #60 in youtube.
Fair enough; I'll cop that one on the chin, especially because trials of the drug are taking place in Australia as well.

Though my bigger issue is with the language used to describe it as a miracle cure/game changer and the early timing of it. No matter how you dice it, it was far too early to label it as such when controlled trials had not taken place. Even if it's a prospective drug to look into, language has to be tempered and cautious to prevent overhyping it. But Trump's control of the English language is limited, to put it kindly.
Old 2020-04-24, 22:24   Link #677
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Though my bigger issue is with the language used to describe it as a miracle cure/game changer and the early timing of it.
We can all agree the blame squarely lands on Trump's shoulders. He realizes that for years know he has been bragging about the stock market being better than ever (thanks to him, he believes), now that the market has broken down (as I expected the moment he won the election) he is doing his usual:

1. Looking for an easy/quick solution. Someone told him about cloroquine and his pea sized brain thought "bingo, that's it". That is why yesterday he was talking about injecting disinfectants into human beings, he no doubt hopes that some of his fanatical followers will try and (he thinks) if someone somehow get cured, he plans to get all credit. If someone dies (like already happened with the guy that ingested fish tank cleaner) he would simply shrug it off, he can kill someone and his followers will still worship him.

2. Looking for a scapegoat. The WHO & China, sadly the Australian government seems to be in cahoots with the white house in this regard.

3. Throwing someone under the bus. Two days ago was Rick Bright and we can bet he will not be the last one.
------------------------------------------------------
We are a few days from the USA having more citizens killed by covid-19 than those that died in the years of the Vietnam War. Back then there were plenty of protests for the stupid waste of human lives in said conflict, nowadays seems the value of a life has cheapened considerably. My bet is that it will not take long for the amount surpass the 1st and then the 2nd world war in casualties, but people have to work, right?
Old 2020-04-24, 23:44   Link #678
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:

The World Health Organization placed too much confidence in Chinese data about COVID-19 and set back the world’s response by as much as three weeks, says Dr. David Naylor, a key member of Canada’s COVID-19 Immunity Task Force.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2020-04-25, 01:06   Link #679
Nymene

Unhappy

In Japan, they have a voluntary lockdown in place known as 自粛(self-restraint or self-restriction ) and due to that many anime titles were delayed due to the Seiyuu not being able to attend the voice recording session because of the gatherings of people in a small confined space ( recording the voice must require the removal of mask ).

Due to that, many anime titles were delayed, including Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha. It's a pity, since I've been looking forward to that anime, since I'm a big fan of it and have bought the light novels too from Amazon JP over the past year.

This is a huge setback to the anime industry for this year.
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-25, 01:12   Link #680
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Vancouver Police is investigating this racial attack that started from March.