AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-04-02, 21:52   Link #301
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Huh? The title bar hasn't been around (by default) since version 4 (it's now version 20). Perhaps you still have a leftover Firefox profile in your AppData folder, or you're using Windows XP.
Uncheck "Menu bar", and the title bar will disappear as well.
Menu Bar isn't checked. Is this a matter of semantics? Because the tabs do not flush to the top of the window. The orange Firefox menu is above the tabs.

Edit: Oh, if you maximize the Firefox window, the tabs flush to the top of the window. Silly behavior. Should always be like that. Not that I care. It's going to take a lot for me to switch from Chrome.

Edit again: Yes, Chrome doesn't flush to the top in a non-maxi window, but the space isn't nearly as egregious.

Third Edit: If I could have Chrome, with Internet Explorer's ability to put the address bar besides the tabs, rather than on separate rows, and Internet Explorer's rendering of fonts, and Safari/Opera's handling of a new tab page (ala Most Visited Sites), I'd be one happy camper.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-04-02 at 22:07.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 23:15   Link #302
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

One of the things that keeps me using Firefox as my lead browser over IE and Chrome is the amount of add-ons available to customise the browser to suit one's needs (that, and having a clusterf**k amount of tabs open, so Tab Groups come in handy). I remember back when FF 3.6 was still around and installed an add-on pack to make FF look more like the version 4 mockups. There should be an add-on or about:config preference that forces the FF button and tab bar to stay in the same row.
Alas, I consider the main advantage of IE10 (in Windows 8) and Chrome to be the integrated Flash Player, meaning I don't need to install and maintain it separately.

On the topic of ad-blocking in Internet Explorer, there is a feature called Tracking Protection that does the job, albeit that it is somewhat rudimentary. I think it requires IE9 as a minimum.
To access it, click on the Settings icon (the cog) on the right side of the browser, then hover over "Safety", then click on "Tracking Protection".
IE should now open the "Manage Add-Ons" window, and from there you can make your own list, or subscribe to a list à la Adblock Plus by clicking on "Get a Tracking Protection List online..." (which includes EasyList and Fanboy's).

Last edited by blaze0041; 2013-04-05 at 00:09.
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 00:37   Link #303
monster

I guess I will never understand the need to have no title bar or the "wasted space" argument, especially over such small strips as in title bars.

Personally, I don't like things being crowded, especially on laptop and desktop monitors. A little space here and there is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 04:58   Link #304
sa547
*Author

I use both Firefox and Chrome, and often I would use the other when one browser fails.

BTW, Mozilla turns 15.

Last edited by sa547; 2013-04-03 at 10:10.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 05:46   Link #305
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I've been using Firefox since the early days (~2003) as at the time I worked in tech support (callcenter) and frequently had to access many different pages at once. Tabbed browsing was essential for this.

I haven't really found a compelling reason to switch to Chrome, certainly as one of the plugins I use most (Lastpass) doesn't integrate with Chrome as well as it does with Firefox, at least last time I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
BTW, Firefox turns 15.
No. Firefox is about 10 years old. Mozilla is 15 years old.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 05:56   Link #306
Tiberium Wolf

I am getting annoyed by FF these days... too many crashes. Reinstalled by still crashes. Using now the 18 still crashes but less now.
Old 2013-04-03, 06:31   Link #307
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, on my side I'm witnessing a pleasant trend reversal for Opera. Until this early January, I was still using Opera v11.64 because I wasn't impressed at all by the first 12.x builds. Even though I saw 11.64 as the "lesser evil", I still had to put up with its frequent, unidentified crashes (some happened while opening some webpages, others when the browser was idle). I tried deactivating/removing some plugins and still couldn't find the cause behind the instability. The early 12.x builds were still buggy and tended to crash as frequently as 11.64 (if not even more so) and, to add insult to injury, the guys from Opera Software dropped the ability to restore the tabs that were open right before a crash. As I often had 15-25 tabs open at all times, the loss of this "restore all tabs upon restart" functionality was unacceptable.

And so, in January, I tried v12.12 - except this time I didn't perform an upgrade, I installed 12.12 in a different location, next to 11.64. And since then, to my greatest and most exhilarating surprise, I have only suffered two or three browser crashes. Going from four-five crashes a day to almost only one per month is a gigantic leap, wouldn't you agree? 12.12 seems a bit slower in terms of startup and tab opening, compared to 11.64, but I'm definitely appreciating the substantially greater stability.

Also upgraded IE to IE10 for W7 and this one caused very minor problems for me.
1°) Some elements on my local HTML files were displaying differently on IE10, especially in response to certain CSS events (:hover, most notably) - turns out I only had to change another CSS parameter to get things back to normal (now that I think of it, the CSS parameter change kind of makes sense now, so I'm not sure I should even be calling it a bug). Not a showstopper or big complaint by any means, but it's quite aggravating when you can't pinpoint what exactly is causing IE10 to render a webpage differently than IE9. Very small details like this can scrape at the back of your mind for days on end.
2°) They changed the DOM Storage option in IE10. For some reason, it played well (while activated, of course) with my Battlelog Web Plugin (as I play BF3) in IE9, but not in IE10. Curious.

Oh, and it seems IE10 has finally added auto spell check to its list of features, but it doesn't seem to work everywhere (probably the websites in question not allowing it or interfering with the process).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-04-04 at 06:17.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 09:38   Link #308
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I am getting annoyed by FF these days... too many crashes. Reinstalled by still crashes. Using now the 18 still crashes but less now.
Try creating a new profile? Make a copy (backup) of the folder first, then delete the contents of:
C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

I don't have any problem with recent FF versions. Previous versions (about a year ago or so) did tend to hang when Flash crashed (kind of often), but I haven't had that problem for a while now.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 09:42   Link #309
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Personally I use Firefox, but I also have Chrome in case there's something that doesn't work on Firefox.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 10:11   Link #310
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
No. Firefox is about 10 years old. Mozilla is 15 years old.
Fixed, Chief.

Years ago (1998) it was used to be that Netscape Navigator was a robust browser until its performance began to screw up starting from 4.0.
Old 2013-04-03, 11:48   Link #311
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

There is no menu bar (by default) in firefox for years now.
Old 2013-04-03, 20:22   Link #312
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post

Oh, and it seems IE10 has finally added auto spell check to its list of features, but it doesn't seem to work everywhere (probably the websites in question not allowing it or interfering with the process).
One aggravating thing about Chrome is that even when you tell it to use "Google" for spell check, it still doesn't apparently use the same spell check the actual google search engine uses, as every once in awhile (especially obscure scientific terms), I'll have a word Chrome claims is wrong, and I'll copy paste it into the address bar and the search engine promptly returns the correct definition without pinging it for wrong spelling.

It is beyond my comprehension why there would be two? three? separate dictionaries maintained by Google.

The second aggravating thing about spell check in Chrome is that in some fields, especially in message boards, it'll underline a word as spelled incorrectly, but then sporadically (Chrome is claiming sporadically is misspelled, but google search has no issues, lol), remove the underline and pretend it is spelled correctly, and no amount of highlighting/right clicking will allow you to look up the correct spelling even though you know that Chrome knows it isn't spelled correctly.

So, sure, Chrome has always felt like a very beta product, but it has the simplest UI of the major browsers, and for that reason alone I continue to use it.

Oh, the dev channel also had a nasty habit of constantly breaking "auto open" for files, which as a torrenter, was annoying. But, I don't think I've run into that issue for at least a year now.

One thing I'd love to see in a browser that could cause me to switch is a way to sign in and out of the browser easily, so I can use my synced bookmarks on a public computer and then erase them simply by signing out. You sign out of Chrome, and your bookmarks, etc, stay in the browser.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 00:56   Link #313
monster

Google introduces Blink, a new open source rendering engine based on WebKit:
http://blog.chromium.org/2013/04/bli...-chromium.html

In other news...

Mozilla is collaborating with Samsung on a web browser engine called Servo, written in Rust, a new, safe systems language developed by Mozilla:
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/0...rowser-engine/
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 18:19   Link #314
takai
Easy Muffin

I prefer chrome. It looks the nicest, and always runs the fastest, for me personally. Plus I find it easiest to use as well. Can't really use anything else now.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 23:49   Link #315
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've been a Firefox zealot for a long long time. But Thunderbird and Firefox are starting to lumber badly. Chrome is slick but I miss the add-ons and extensions Firefox has.

I end up using both, depending on the need.
Old 2013-04-05, 00:14   Link #316
larethian

The last time, when I dropped Firefox was when it started hogging GBs of memory (working set or VM I can't remember) after leaving it on for a few days.

Anyway, last time I checked, Chrome was still the most compliant with respect to HTML5. I've never checked Opera's score before though. And interestingly, when I did some site visits to my customers' offices, some of them still have internal pages that can't be read properly by anything other than IE =_=;
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 00:29   Link #317
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

IE10 is seriously not compatible with plenty of sites I find....would rather have the old IE9 back.

I use Chrome more and more as a result...FF still remains my secondary browser
Old 2013-04-05, 06:25   Link #318
spikexp

I use many browser all day long for my job. I can tell that they all take crazy amount of resources after a while. They all go over 1.5GB of used ram on my 4GB. Than, even if you close all the tab, it won't go down.

As for web standard, I'm a web developer, I can tell that I do as much browser specific fix for chrome that I do for IE8 in term of CSS.

I use firefox for web development because the tool are better.
firebug > webkit equivalent = dragonfly (opera)
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 11:23   Link #319
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
I use many browser all day long for my job. I can tell that they all take crazy amount of resources after a while. They all go over 1.5GB of used ram on my 4GB. Than, even if you close all the tab, it won't go down.
Most programs will try to gobble as much memory as they can. They are simply eating large amounts because you're not using any of it.

Quote:
As for web standard, I'm a web developer, I can tell that I do as much browser specific fix for chrome that I do for IE8 in term of CSS.
Then you don't write standard code. Most quirks you find in chrome (and opera) are developer errors, on the other hand IE fails at both implementing standards and implementing them correctly.

Quote:
I use firefox for web development because the tool are better.
firebug > webkit equivalent = dragonfly (opera)
Chrome's inspection tool is native, has native support for sass, has plenty of support for source maps, an excellent network tab, gives you frame data, good profiling tools, decent audit tools, etc... heck if you want to you can go to chrome://tracing/ and go all hardcore on it. Firebug isn't better, you're just more used to it, and chrome has a version of it too not that anyone cares when the native support is so good.

Dragonfly last I checked was still awful, if you call that equivalent to chrome's developer tools you obviously haven't tried any of them.

(IE's developer tools are still the most horrible implementation to grace the web)
Old 2013-04-05, 13:37   Link #320
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Task Manager usually allows you to shut down completely an errant browser that's still in memory, by looking for it in the Processes tab. Also, why not upgrade to 8gb?

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews