AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-05-24, 13:44   Link #7321
S.Freedom

I think Fukuda was trying for scale. His thinking was "well 19 meters is pretty tall so it's got to be pretty darn heavy to match". Thus he or whoever was doing the mecha designs just put down what they "thought" a suit like the I.Justice or Destiny would weigh.

It's not like they have anything in the real world to base the weight off of. The closest I can think of is a military jet or tank.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 13:48   Link #7322
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Average View Post
think i didn't notice that.... I thought of the heaviest biggest suit in the UC timeline that's at least MS sized not MA sized like Psycho Gundam. the Xi is 23 meters tall and it has lots of Stuff on it while the Infinite Justice is only like a 18 meter yet their weight isn't too far away from each other.

Yeah the Wing Gundams are rather small they are in the Gundam Victory suit sized range. i just thought Gundanium would be heavier.

i just don't see how the CE suits are so heavy, the Nuclear reactor on the suit can't weight that much. Many of the CE suits look like they couldn't even hold that much weight with the lack of thrusters. The I.Justice is one of the few i can kinda see why its heavy, with its huge backpack, but many of the other suits? S.Freedom weighting in at 80 metric tons and all it is, is a flying gun with littler flying guns with gold trim.

The reason I used the Xi was to show just how heavy the CE suits really are. if i would have used the MKII for example http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/z/rx-178.htm it would been easier i guess to see where i was coming from, but i just find it weird that the S.Freedom weighs as much as that behemoth Xi gundam.
The SF is weighted down by its DRAGOONs, which is one of the huge reasons they cant function at all under the earths gravity

Most of SEEDs units are weighed down by some sort of backpack/wings

Xi is not the best representation of biggest and heaviest mechs, its more 6-7/10 in terms of weight, with higher end of the weight spectrum being units like the Nightingale, EX-S, Mk. V, Psycho, Sazabi, Doven Wolf etc. (Not too sure about the weights but these are some of the largest units out there)
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 14:27   Link #7323
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
I think Fukuda was trying for scale. His thinking was "well 19 meters is pretty tall so it's got to be pretty darn heavy to match". Thus he or whoever was doing the mecha designs just put down what they "thought" a suit like the I.Justice or Destiny would weigh.
that was my guess as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
The SF is weighted down by its DRAGOONs, which is one of the huge reasons they cant function at all under the earths gravity

Most of SEEDs units are weighed down by some sort of backpack/wings

Xi is not the best representation of biggest and heaviest mechs, its more 6-7/10 in terms of weight, with higher end of the weight spectrum being units like the Nightingale, EX-S, Mk. V, Psycho, Sazabi, Doven Wolf etc. (Not too sure about the weights but these are some of the largest units out there)
i thought dragoons only had enough thrust to move them in space and had nothing to do with weight, its just dragoon weren't designed for earth.

Yes the backpacks make sense but not every suit had one, and yet most of the suits are in the same weight area. I'm just going to go with S.Freedoms comment.

Now why i used the Xi is just because it was around the same weight also it just was the first big gundam it come into my mind. using the suits you mentioned would have been kinda over kill and wouldn't really be what i was meaning. http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/MSN-04II_Nightingale, just look how huge that thing is (my bet it doesn't even work on earth but i really don't know) and its lowest weight is 48.2 metric tons while the Strike Freedom doesn't even have a lowest weight.

Last edited by The American Average; 2013-05-24 at 15:24.
The American Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 15:05   Link #7324
S.Freedom

American Average is right.

Take the http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/seed/zgmf-1017.htm Ginn for example. It weighs 78.5 tons without any backpacks. Than there's the Strike without it's strikerpacks being 64.8 tons. With the aile pack it actually weighs more than the I.Justice at 85.1 tons. http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/see...5+aqme-x01.htm
Old 2013-05-24, 19:37   Link #7325
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
American Average is right.

Take the http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/seed/zgmf-1017.htm Ginn for example. It weighs 78.5 tons without any backpacks. Than there's the Strike without it's strikerpacks being 64.8 tons. With the aile pack it actually weighs more than the I.Justice at 85.1 tons. http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/see...5+aqme-x01.htm
So I guess its just scale and what they invented off the top of their heads then for the MS weight in SEED/DESTINY
Old 2013-05-24, 19:56   Link #7326
S.Freedom

Pretty much, they just put down what they thought a given suit would weigh given it's height and such. For example, the Aile Strike weighs 85.1 tons while the Launcher Strike weighs 83.7 tons. (go figure)

What we have to consider in general about gundam is that the science isn't meant to be taken seriously. I mean what exactly is a minovsky particle and how does it effect a nuclear reactor? So yeah we should take the given weight of any MS with something of a grain of salt.
Old 2013-05-25, 00:59   Link #7327
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Given the nature of Phase Shift Armor, the G-Weapons' armor plating was probably thinner and lighter than that of the GINN, as Phase Shift made them invulnerable to most kinetic weaponry and thus thick armor was unnecessary. That's the most likely reason as to why the Strike and such are lighter than mobile suits like the GINN.

As for the Aile Strike being heavier than the Launcher Strike, it has a lot larger pack being fitted onto it. There's no real reason as to why the Launcher Strike wouldn't be lighter than the Aile Strike.
Old 2013-05-25, 08:34   Link #7328
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny R / Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny B (Manga Series) Official Website Released!
Official Website: http://www.astrays.net/destiniy_astray/index.html

& here comes...
Spoiler:

@@ damn i'm in love with the new astray
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 12:16   Link #7329
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga View Post
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny R / Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny B (Manga Series) Official Website Released!
Official Website: http://www.astrays.net/destiniy_astray/index.html

& here comes...
Spoiler:

@@ damn i'm in love with the new astray
I wish Bandai would stop teasing us and just give us an Astray anime already. i'm not sure how i feel about is new Astray MS unit yet. then again I've been more of an gold amatsu fan so its style might grow on me. http://www.astrays.net/destiny_astra...02_900x600.jpg
Old 2013-05-25, 13:13   Link #7330
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Honestly, I don’t like how the light-grey color of the wings doesn’t match the rest of the body. Beside that, Astray Noir is cool enough.
Old 2013-05-25, 14:18   Link #7331
Destined_Fate

They are such teases... But Astray is so big now! There's many mangas about it and a ton of well developed characters all over the place! I mean they COULD just go Junk Guild route if they had to choose.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 17:53   Link #7332
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
^ Honestly, I don’t like how the light-grey color of the wings doesn’t match the rest of the body. Beside that, Astray Noir is cool enough.
I find myself having the exact some problem with it.
Old 2013-05-25, 18:10   Link #7333
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
They are such teases... But Astray is so big now! There's many mangas about it and a ton of well developed characters all over the place! I mean they COULD just go Junk Guild route if they had to choose.
And tons of ppl, even some of the ones who hate SEED/DESTINY, loves the Astray side stories and in particular the Astray designs (getting a PG kit was testament to that)
Old 2013-05-26, 11:22   Link #7334
wredsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
And tons of ppl, even some of the ones who hate SEED/DESTINY, loves the Astray side stories and in particular the Astray designs (getting a PG kit was testament to that)
They should make an astray anime.
wredsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 03:45   Link #7335
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredsa View Post
They should make an astray anime.
They can’t, because Astray characters are too cool (and too insane) to be animated . Though I really want Mina Sahaku to be animated and voiced. Shiho is already animated (not much) but never voiced.
Old 2013-05-27, 03:53   Link #7336
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
They can’t, because Astray characters are too cool (and too insane) to be animated . Though I really want Mina Sahaku to be animated and voiced. Shiho is already animated (not much) but never voiced.
You can try watching some clips from video games like G Generation, both of them are voiced in there.

Mina by Katsuki Masako and Shiho by Makiko Omoto
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 09:02   Link #7337
Washu-Chan