Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2006-11-02, 02:37   Link #481
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
TheLadle Redlamp (yup yup... way bigger than an spoon... with his eye, he will tear a part a ladle ! )
Mmmh, not exactly, ketje.
'Louche' in French, is female, so it'd be 'Lalouche'.
However, the second translation is more accurate but there's actually more to its meaning.
When you say 'he's louche' about someone, it means that 'he's suspicious/dubious'. In other words, 'Lelouche Lamperouge' can be more or less translated by 'The-suspicious Red-lamp' - but even then, it should be 'Lalouche Lamperouge' since 'lampe' is female, so it's 'la' instead of 'le'. But whatever. 'Lelouch' sounds way better than that.

I've only heard it as a family name (I think there's a French comedian bearing that name - Claude Lelouch), though, but never as a first name. But then again, we're speaking aristocracy here, so weird, old-money names are not that unlikely to spring up hither and yon.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2006-11-02 at 17:39.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 06:46   Link #482
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

in fact, i wasn't really paying attention to the genre, because it doesn't really make sense for japanese and english in fact. (having some relative who have lots of difficulties to use "la" or "le", same for "un" and "une" etc )

as for the second translation... you are right, (i wasn't really thinking about some synonyms too, based on a litteral translation ~~)
we could also take another clusmy translation "Thecrosseeyed", though it should be "leloucheur" or such (i'm not quite sure if we should translate his name as a whole, or each part of its name seperately... though, since it's a name, it doesn't matter at all XD)

as for its use in this anime, yup : it appears to have no particular meaning (it would be hard that it was intended to come from claude lelouch or ruddy lelouch, according the huge difference ^^; ), more based on a "cool" sounding, especially "ranperuji", even without any french knowledge, you could think it has some "noble/foreigner" aspect, though it's a fake name. (still, it makes me feel that sometimes, i understand some english comments about silly names in some anime based on english... this can let loose too much guffaws ~~)
Old 2006-11-02, 07:00   Link #483
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
as for its use in this anime, yup : it appears to have no particular meaning (it would be hard that it was intended to come from claude lelouch or ruddy lelouch, according the huge difference ^^; ), more based on a "cool" sounding, especially "ranperuji", even without any french knowledge, you could think it has some "noble/foreigner" aspect, though it's a fake name. (still, it makes me feel that sometimes, i understand some english comments about silly names in some anime based on english... this can let loose too much guffaws ~~)
Well, you know, one of the most famous and recognizable anime character ever, Char Aznable, from Gundam, had his name inspired from a famous French singer, Charles Aznavour (who's still alive btw, and still singing), so it's not that unlikely - but then again, French movies nowadays seldom become worldwide hits unless we're talking big comedians like Jean Reno and songs have even less chances doing so. We're no longer in the 50s or 60s when famous artists like Aznavour, Claude François and co. went overseas for concerts and raised their names on the other side of the Atlantic...and beyond.

But I should admit that 'Lelouche' is quite an original name and I'm not going to fuss over that as the 'dubious'/'suspicious' meaning is an added bonus for those who speak French.
Old 2006-11-02, 12:23   Link #484
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Well ep 5 has aired. Lots of screens. Lots of spoilers. Lots of pizza.

Spoiler for Code Geass episode 5 sponsored by Pizza Hut:

Hopefully we'll get an Ep 5 thread soon.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 12:32   Link #485
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

PH ad is getting way more obvious... it's getting pretty lame

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-02, 12:48   Link #486
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Episode 5 at 2chan:
Spoiler:
To the mods: please erase the link after the 2c thread is erased.

It looks like C.C. just lurves Pizza Hut. She's even got a pizza-eating scene in the next ep sequence. Holy God.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-02, 14:12   Link #487
monstratboy

Its obvious its been nonsense all along about this being a sunrise series. PH, I congratulate you on your debut in to the mecha anime market. I look foward to many more entertaining series from you in the future.
monstratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 14:33   Link #488
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Well ep 5 has aired. Lots of screens. Lots of spoilers. Lots of pizza.

Spoiler for Code Geass episode 5 sponsored by Pizza Hut:

Hopefully we'll get an Ep 5 thread soon.
what? lol! pizza hut gets free advertisement
ouch looking at the screencaps it looks liek lulu wants to get the jump on C-2 cant w8 to watch this ^_^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 14:39   Link #489
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
what? lol! pizza hut gets free advertisement
ouch looking at the screencaps it looks liek lulu wants to get the jump on C-2 cant w8 to watch this ^_^
Pizza Hut logos have appeared in three of the shows so I suspect there's a sponsorship deal going on between Sunrise/Bandai and the Hut. Rather like EA doing in-game advertising, this seems to be the dawn of in-anime advertising...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-11-02 at 17:20. Reason: bleh
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 15:11   Link #490
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Pizza Hut logos have appeared in three of the shows so I suspect there's a sponsorship deal going on between Sunrise/Bandai and the Hut. Rather like EA doing in-game advertising, this seems to be the dawn of in-anime advertising...
It must be the case as I doubt the director and Sunrise would go as far as brazenly using the logos without Pizza Hut's consent - and therefore risk unauthorized use of copyright material. Otherwise they'd have done the usual - warp the name into a parody so as to prevent any complaint that might be done afterwards.
Old 2006-11-02, 15:23   Link #491
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Spoiler for Episode 5:
Old 2006-11-02, 16:37   Link #492
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

BTW (since there isn't a thread for ep5 yet), is it just me or did Nanaly mistake C.C. (perhaps C.C. tricked her into believing so, who knows) for Lelouch's girlfriend?
I believe I heard the words 'Onii-sama no koibito' quite clearly and last I heard, 'koibito' meant 'lover' or '(girl/boy)friend'.

And, to address an issue brought up a little earlier, yes, C.C.'s name is pronounced 'C-two' (shi-tzu) in ep5.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2006-11-02 at 17:40.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 16:59   Link #493
cyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman.exe213 View Post
Gun x Sword wasn't really that great in the beginning
Some of their best standalone episodes were in the beginning such as the one with the el dorado 4 and the first episode with Rey and Joshua.
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 17:04   Link #494
monstratboy

C.C. rocks. Thats my overall comment for episode five.
Old 2006-11-02, 17:29   Link #495
Psychodragon
Inactive Member

You know, for some reason when I saw Euphemia, I was both dreading and anticipating for her seiyuu to be none other than Rie Tanaka (of Lacus fame...must be the pink hair).

Just looked at ANN...good to see Minami Omi providing her voice.

-PD
Psychodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 17:51   Link #496
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
BTW (since there isn't a thread for ep5 yet), is it just me or did Nanaly mistake C.C. (perhaps C.C. tricked her into believing so, who knows) for Lelouch's girlfriend?
I believe I heard the words 'Onii-sama no koibito' quite clearly and last I heard, 'koibito' meant 'lover' or '(girl/boy)friend'.
C.C. also leads Nanaly to, at least, suspect that she and Lelouch are going to get married... Hence more shock from Nanaly.

Episode 5 was very good; I especially liked the Suzaku X Euphemia (Yuffie?) bit and the insert song, Stories. I get the feeling that Suzaku was trying to look badass with those shades and band-aids.

Also proof that Lelouch is getting too bored at times: he Geass'es a girl into carving a mark on the school wall every single day, day after day...

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 17:57   Link #497
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
So how does this series seem so far? Are we looking at a series that shows both sides equally in that the two friends will be on opposite sides?

Or are we possibly looking at another replay of Gundam SEED where both friends up on the other side as if they can do no wrong and will always win?

Seeing as this is from Sunrise and the problems that came with the SEED series, especailly Destiny was this address in interviews or anyting? Or is it to early to tell if things will go in that direction?

Thanks.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 18:14   Link #498
monstratboy

I do have to say the way the episode contrasted Lulu and C.C./Dark Justice and Suzaku and Euphie/righteousness in the second half was nicely done.
I really liked the insert music/song for both C.C. and Euphemia.

As C.C.'s hair colour hints to, it seems C.C. is a leprechaun in disguise as she causes Lulu nothing but trouble this episode while giving him no info at all, even General Patre curses her existance on his way to being punished. C.C. finds Lulu's use, evaluation and naming of his power all quite amusing.

Can't wait to hear Nanaly blurt out detals on Lulu's new roommate while Shirley blurts out her findings on Lulu and Karen's relationship sometime in the future.

Also Lelouch V. Britannia a.k.a. ZERO is now Imperial Public Enemy Number 1
Ahhh the sigs to come
Old 2006-11-02, 20:59   Link #499
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effect View Post
So how does this series seem so far? Are we looking at a series that shows both sides equally in that the two friends will be on opposite sides?
Two friends ARE on opposite sides but I really can't compare this to Gundam Seed anymore (it did seem very similar a while ago though)... Its got the whole school thing, the whole terrorist thing, the whole Japan vs. Britannia/America/whatever imperialism thing, and the whole crazy supernatural badass Lulu thing. In another words, this ain't a Gundam-style mecha show, no matter how it seems to be at first.

Definitely a good show though.
Old 2006-11-02, 21:55   Link #500
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
C.C. also leads Nanaly to, at least, suspect that she and Lelouch are going to get married... Hence more shock from Nanaly.

Episode 5 was very good; I especially liked the Suzaku X Euphemia (Yuffie?) bit and the insert song, Stories. I get the feeling that Suzaku was trying to look badass with those shades and band-aids.

Also proof that Lelouch is getting too bored at times: he Geass'es a girl into carving a mark on the school wall every single day, day after day...
Didn't Lelouch Geass the girl so that he could check how long the effect of Geass lasts?

This episode is pretty interesting, introducing a few new characters as well as the return of C.C. We still don't know C.C.'s true intentions though, and her character seems rather different than when she granted Lelouch his powers.
It was nice to see Lancelot's dual blades, though they somehow reminded me of Strike gundam's daggers (eeewwww).
StanAce is offline   Reply With Quote