AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-03-30, 16:25   Link #381
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
To be different I'll say 84 years and 3 months.

After that your simply to old too watch it....
lol.... if u can still see after watching 83 years of anime
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 16:33   Link #382
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I agree , we don't care with the age !
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 18:44   Link #383
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Short answer: I don't think there's such a thing as too old to watch anime.

Long answer: I already stress out about finding an anime girl five years my junior (Kotomi Ichinose from Clannad) extremely attractive, so I have to admit that I worry about how I'm going to deal with that a decade from now.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 18:51   Link #384
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
I don't think that the question is "have you the time or not", it's about stating an age limitation for watching anime.
No, I don't think theres an age limit for anime.
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 19:09   Link #385
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
there is no age limits for anime, what narona saying is as you get older, somethings are more important than watching anime, and thats when someone stops
You wrote the wrong username :O

I know that But what I meant is that it wasn't the OP question ^^
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 19:36   Link #386
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

there really is no too old. certain genres might seem strange as age progresses, but that comes with life too. like a 70 year old watching Ikkitousen is kinda strange, but so is a 70 year old watching nip-tuck.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 21:14   Link #387
ria1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Because the vast majority of uneducated Americans make the connection Anime = Cartoons just because its animation.

The sad thing is, most anime has a much deeper plot and story than the majority of American TV shows.
I agree with you 100%. I'm older than the typical anime fan, and I don't watch any american TV show anymore. I'd rather watch an anime show that'll make me laugh, or one that has intense action.
ria1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 21:51   Link #388
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

I'd already replied to this thread like a year ago, but what the heck

"Age" is a state of mind. Just as there as different people on the face of the Earth, there are different measurements of each one's threshold of "entertainment value".

What sets anime apart from its other media-brethren is its "deep depth" (in many series); it's ability to entertain is all that really matters, and to whom that applies varies with each fan. Different strokes for different folks... too bad people can't just let it be, aside from mindlessly parrotting that phrase rather than really accepting it..

The only judgemental issue that causes the perceived "looking-down" by Society on the anime fan is Society's ignorance on the matter, and Society's assumption that one's age is or is not appropriate for it. Or for comic books, graphic novels, toys, figures, you name it. It is this stupidity, that for some reason the majority of people adhere to like sheep, that's to blame for the marginalization of people who enjoy anime and the like. And, after judging, they go back to Finding Nemo and WALL-E, singing those animations' praises like the hypocrites they are.

Society is an ass
Old 2009-03-31, 05:47   Link #389
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inko-chan View Post
The only judgemental issue that causes the perceived "looking-down" by Society on the anime fan is Society's ignorance on the matter, and Society's assumption that one's age is or is not appropriate for it. Or for comic books, graphic novels, toys, figures, you name it. It is this stupidity, that for some reason the majority of people adhere to like sheep, that's to blame for the marginalization of people who enjoy anime and the like. And, after judging, they go back to Finding Nemo and WALL-E, singing those animations' praises like the hypocrites they are.

Society is an ass
There's a reason for everything society does. In my country, almost everybody hates gypsies because they're known as thieves. All rational folks know that this is mere prejudice, however when you realize that a lot of people you know became their victims, it's hard to shake off that nasty feeling each time you leave your car in a gypsy neighborhood. I think it's the same deal with anime. I run a humble anime IRC channel, and from what I can tell, each and every channel user has some sort of real life issue going on that's troubling them into staying. I even try really hard not to stick my nose into their business! I have so much experience with the online anime community that I've started taking it as the last safe haven where people with problems can turn to. Anime has this supportive characteristic that helps people overcome their problems in one way or another. Sadly for the medium, the general society catches onto this problem subconsciously, either through stereotypes created by the media or personal experience. Because Society needs a Public Enemy, they turn their eye to whoever is making headlines. It's gypsies in my country, Japan has otaku, and so on. Just accept the fact that you're strange, weird, different, eccentric, and the fact that the anime community has an irregularly high concentration of such people, and you'll be fine.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 15:03   Link #390
tflops
Is Moé-ish

Send a message via Yahoo to tflops
For me the anime sometimes targets us youngsters than those old ones, so if you're talking about watching anime, of course there isn't an age limit for watching but one thing, if only you can relate or the old people should do moe or stuffs which isn't suitable on them. As long you can enjoy watching then there's no problem with that.
tflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 21:14   Link #391
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Regarding the comments from the last few pages about people being pathetic/creepy if they're over 25/30/whatever and into moe... I have to say that I just don't understand that viewpoint.

Personally, I think 32 year old guys who have PhDs in astrophysics, speak three languages, write linux utilities, do solo backpacking trips and yet still buy the occassional catgirl figure or erogame are awesome. And I actually know a guy who is like that. It's people like him and some of our older guys here at animesuki (Vexx in particular) who make me thinking that growing older isn't going to be such a gut wrenching experience after all.

I hate to say it, but the people making comments about over 25s shouldn't be into moe just come across as being really ignorant of what over 25s who are into such things are like.
Old 2009-03-31, 23:36   Link #392
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Regarding the comments from the last few pages about people being pathetic/creepy if they're over 25/30/whatever and into moe... I have to say that I just don't understand that viewpoint.
I am fine with any 25/30 + men likes moe, but never had any sexual fantasies about moe characters.

If someone like moe and has sexual fantasies about them, then there is no excuse . " Oh they look 12. 13 but they are really 20 years old " doesnt cut it.

problem is the society is blind, they think about pedo when they hear moe.

I will probably collect PVCs myself when i am 30, but mostly mecha or non-moe PVC
Old 2009-03-31, 23:40   Link #393
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
I am fine with any 25/30 + men likes moe, but never had any sexual fantasies about moe characters.

If someone like moe and has sexual fantasies about them, then there is no excuse . " Oh they look 12. 13 but they are really 20 years old " doesnt cut it.

problem is the society is blind, they think about pedo when they hear moe.

I will probably collect PVCs myself when i am 30, but mostly mecha or non-moe PVC
Nice... someone else makes themselves the Arbiter of 'who can enjoy what' and thoughtcrime.... this thread is starting to really depress me.

What "society" are you referring to when you declare "they think pedo when they think moe"? Care to be more specific, because this is a brand new assertion to me.

It isn't clear you even know what "moe" means or are confusing it with something else...

I guess I should have never watched Buffy (too many young people in it) or even Heroes (gosh most of them are under 25...).

(rest of annoyed anger held for now)

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-04-01 at 13:19. Reason: serious streak of ageist discrimination from some posters, very sad...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 00:25   Link #394
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

While the moe=pedo thing isn't super common in my experience, it's far more prevalent than I'd like. I remember running into a few people on ANN who used moe and lolicon pretty much interchangably, and I've actually run into one person in real life who was under the same impression until I corrected it for her.

... you know, prior to you making that post, I never realized that Kotomi Ichinose and Claire Bennett are pretty much the same age.
Old 2009-04-01, 00:27   Link #395
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

nvm, confused moe with lolicon...
my bad
Old 2009-04-01, 01:24   Link #396
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Someone already in his 50s already posted out here.

I don't think that there is an age limit, otherwise why would we have things like PantsuRosario x Vampire or Maria x Holic?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 07:38   Link #397
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I don't think that there is an age limit, otherwise why would we have things like PantsuRosario x Vampire or Maria x Holic?
Are you suggesting that it's older viewers that drive the market for ecchi shows like Rosario? Shows like that are targeted at adolescents; adults have usually already seen pantsu in real life.

I'll repeat my earlier comment in either this or a related thread:

boobs + blood ≠ mature
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 10:28   Link #398
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Shows like that are targeted at adolescents; adults have usually already seen pantsu in real life.
Umm...but 2-D pantsu are so much prettier...

Seriously, though, I shake my head in despair each time someone suggests an ecchi or a blood-splattered series to defend anime's "mature" quality. The irony of their recommendations escapes them, it seems.

But then again, I admit to being snooty and pretentious when it comes to my anime entertainment. Low-brow bawdy humour and mindless slaughter is good fun every now and then, but it's usually the thought-provoking series than hold my attention in the long run.

I suppose that comes with age. And, unfortunately, it does get harder and harder to find such anime, even though they do exist.

Meanwhile, kids who feel the need to over-compensate for their supposed lack of maturity will continue to trumpet their favourite examples of adult shows. Can't say they're entirely wrong, but I do hope they'd grow out of their fixations in due time.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 11:20   Link #399
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Umm...but 2-D pantsu are so much prettier...

Seriously, though, I shake my head in despair each time someone suggests an ecchi or a blood-splattered series to defend anime's "mature" quality. The irony of their recommendations escapes them, it seems.

But then again, I admit to being snooty and pretentious when it comes to my anime entertainment. Low-brow bawdy humour and mindless slaughter is good fun every now and then, but it's usually the thought-provoking series than hold my attention in the long run.

I suppose that comes with age. And, unfortunately, it does get harder and harder to find such anime, even though they do exist.

Meanwhile, kids who feel the need to over-compensate for their supposed lack of maturity will continue to trumpet their favourite examples of adult shows. Can't say they're entirely wrong, but I do hope they'd grow out of their fixations in due time.
Well let's just say that those shows are just tongue-in-cheek against censorship in the broadcasting code. So far the first blood-and-splatter anime that really held my eyes is School Days. It is just like a highschool remake of Lord Of The Flies.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 16:19   Link #400
Solafighter
Hige

I think i will even continue watching animes in the grave. Im pretty sure, the technology in future will allow that.

I think age doesnt matter. Only the inerest, to watch it, or not.