AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's - Rating
Perfect 10 16 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-04-28, 15:26   Link #1221
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Try VLC media player.
Old 2013-04-28, 15:34   Link #1222
NTFTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Try VLC media player.
Download it, the movie appears to be working now, thanks.
NTFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 15:43   Link #1223
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I daresay that you should go buy the regular version (at least there should be no complaints).
Old 2013-04-29, 04:53   Link #1224
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Well, kinda late to party (but in all honestly, I'm glad I'm late, seeing it's like a battlefield in here). I can't say this is a great movie, but I did enjoy it a lot even with the flaws it has.

I don't have any intend to bring those discussion back, I'm just going to say I disagree with any one said the music is bland, because the only song I dislike is the one replaces Brave Phoenix. All other ones are really great.

Just don't understand the hate for Fate in this thread, but I don't want to know either.
Old 2013-05-04, 17:41   Link #1225
Sunder the Gold

There's such a thing as "too much of a good thing". Especially when it comes at the cost of other good things.

I like chocolate cake, but if I go to a restraunt for a meal and there's nothing but chocolate cake, I'm not getting the variety I desire for my dinner.

I don't go to a Nanoha movie to watch "Fate (and her various friends, whatever)". Fate's just one character.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 08:35   Link #1226
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
There's such a thing as "too much of a good thing". Especially when it comes at the cost of other good things.

I like chocolate cake, but if I go to a restraunt for a meal and there's nothing but chocolate cake, I'm not getting the variety I desire for my dinner.

I don't go to a Nanoha movie to watch "Fate (and her various friends, whatever)". Fate's just one character.
No, Fate's a major character. Who gets exactly the amount of focus and screen-time that one should expect a major character to get, no more, no less.

This is why your chocolate cake analogy is a poor one. Chocolate cake is a dessert, literally "an after thought". So it's a poor comparison to make with a major character. A more apt comparison would be to part of the main course. Like, say, fried chicken.

And lo and behold, there are plenty of restaurants around the world that has fried chicken as the main food option on their menu, where it makes up a quarter or more of their entire menu in one form or another. And plenty of people are perfectly satisfied with that.

You may go to your local KFC, and say "Why don't you focus more on these other food options, like your coleslaw and your macaroni salad? Why must you focus so much on fried chicken and fries!", but don't expect all the other KFC customers to agree with you. After all, fried chicken is much of what made KFC popular in the first place...
Old 2013-05-12, 00:47   Link #1227
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

You could say sushi instead. If there's no other meal but sushi.
Old 2013-05-16, 22:10   Link #1228
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Seriously we're having this debate again? Sigh

This is opinion thread, everyone's opinion is valid, just keep it and don't shove it on others.

However, I agree with Sunder with this one. Among other things I had to say, but Nanya already said everything anyway.

The part I dislike the most is that A's Movie being gateway to franchise being a total lie.

5/10
Old 2013-07-17, 03:53   Link #1229
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I just watched the movie after delaying it for so long. I extremely enjoyed the first movie in comparison to the first season, so expectations were high when watching A's. It delivered.

I agree with almost every direction the movie took, starting with Rein's narrative and the slow start instead of the Nanoha/Vita fight. Aside from the Hayate part (more on this later), I especially like the recap of Fate's story and the time she spends with Nanoha in the present. The overall plot was explained better than in the series, and the little things that caught my attention that I wanted to see again (Vita's bunny shopping trip, the devices activating to end the series) was there. The presentation of the material was superb; although I knew what was going to happen, it was still heartfelt in several places.

The only thing I didn't like was the early establishment of the Wolkenritter's objective. I believe that in the series, it wasn't until episode 6 that we learn more about them - before that they were portrayed as pretty much the bad guy. The movie threw some hints early that Signum and company are not completely evil, which I think lessened whatever impact one would have on such a plot (that is almost identical to season 1...). So probably, Hayate's association to magic should have been left for midway through. It would be better to hate the Wolkenritter for longer.

9/10
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 01:06   Link #1230
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Finally.

Finally.

Finally finally finally finally finally finallyfinallyfinallyfinallyfinallyfinally

FINALLY got to see this movie yesterday. And like the first, it was great.

(and this is my first time posting in the Nanoha subforum outside of the image thread in forever)

I actually liked how they took Graham out of the movie. He and the girls felt a bit too much like throw-away antagonists. Precia keeps popping back up in Fate's character growth.

While it does still have that DBZ-esque feel that the first movie brought out, they kept it toned down rather than beam-spamming everywhere, like when Reinforce went into a simple punch-and-kick spree on Nanoha.

Compressing A's into a 2 1/2-hour movie worked well I think; it keep things fast-paced without shooting past the character focus and development. And I don't see how the backstory on Chrono's father was nerfed or under-developed; neither Chrono nor his father were major characters, so it makes sense to keep them from taking too much screentime.

As for Yuno, well, it's been fairly obivous since the original A's all those years ago that he was nerfed into a rarely-appearing role so anybody making a fuss about it is eight years late. But my view on this is what it has and always will be: They should have stuck with the cute Nanoha/Yuno/Chrono love triangle that they clearly set up at the end of the first series and kept NanoFate as good friends rather than chucking the triangle in favor of the yuri innuendos.

On the topic of cute, in the wrap-up/ending,

a. the scene where Nanoha was being friendly-clingy with Vita while she was blushing so much was absolutely adorable (and I rarely use this word)

as was

b. the little bed for Reinforce Zwei in Hayate's room.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2013-07-22 at 07:19.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 04:18   Link #1231
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

My impressions of the movie 2nd are that except for three things i absolutely loved it, those three being:

-taking Graham out of the picture.
-theme that replaced brave phoenix.
-no Suzuka and Arisa walking on the moment of Nanoha and Fate doing battle.

The second needs no explaining, on the first one i want to expand a bit, the reason i wanted Graham is that he made the story/plot have more sense, why Hayate of all people ? Earth doesn't have much to do with Magic... and such events... Graham was the one that made all of it tie up with perfect sense. Dunno maybe i'm looking at it to objectively but that is how i feel. As for the third it was just one of those moments you kind of just enjoy seeing, the surprise on Arisa and Suzuka and the "busted" look on Fate and Nanoha . However even without this i did enjoy the movie, the fight scenes where awesome and all major players shined. Although no brave phoenix the moments with Snow Rain felt definitely enhanced. The movie was impressive with its compression of the A's series, it did not felt rushed in the slightest, actually rather continuous and engaging, a lot of memorable and touching scenes it had. Overall a great experience one that really made me look forward to Nanoha Strikers 3rd Movie.
Old 2013-08-11, 12:16   Link #1232
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Fortunately, MOVIE 3rd won't be about StrikerS but an original story instead.

So much potential and less chances of facepalming from the audience. I'm already resigned to never seeing a decent portrayal of the Wolkenritter ever again. A's TV was their first an last shinning moment in the franchise. They flopped hard in MOVIE 2nd.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 03:01   Link #1233
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Now if Shinbo would come back to be part of Movie 3 production team, I'd swoon so hard!!
Old 2013-12-08, 20:35   Link #1234
kill-o-matic

Were those silly picture dramas with the Wolkenritter from the special edition ever translated?
kill-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 18:42   Link #1235
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Totally slowpoked on this, but I finally felt like watching the movie last week.

I thought it was okay. Certainly didn't suffer too badly from issues I thought it'd have when first announced. Still, it didn't particularly wow me (though the fights were slick) nor did it change my outlook on anything like the first movie did with Presea.

The three main highlights for me were Shamal in her underwear, getting Fate in on the "As expected of Yuuno" bit and the shot of Nanoha and Hayate flying towards Yuuno in the end montage.
Old 2014-02-08, 18:15   Link #1236
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by delorean2200 View Post
My impressions of the movie 2nd are that except for three things i absolutely loved it, those three being:

-taking Graham out of the picture.
-theme that replaced brave phoenix.
-no Suzuka and Arisa walking on the moment of Nanoha and Fate doing battle.
Yea I really missed no. 3. I think it added some extra tension that "normals" were finally getting involved in this danger and we're not really sure why they were able to do that. I remember back then there was suspicion that these two had something up with them. Nanoha's combat is slick but I don't usually feel too much tension especially with that Fuzetsu-like things that always prevent actual damage in explosive fights. These parts of A's did though. I guess that's one of the few things StrikerS did right and that was collateral damage.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 12:25   Link #1237
green-link94

don't know in which thread i should put this but since it's from movie 2nd look what i found.
green-link94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-14, 15:56   Link #1238
4th Dimension

* engaging medium necromancy *

Apparently with the Blue Ray release of this movie the creators included a set of Picture Drama Shorts (basically image and narration over it, about 5 minutes long each). I got my hands on 5 of them that have been translated (I don't know if there are more of them, kind of doubt it since the last one contains the closing remarks from the "presenters").

Basically all of them concern/"explore" rejected plots/shows that use the characters from first three seasons. And all of the "ideas" are fricking hilarious. I now have a grin permanently plastered to my face despite feeling a bit down thinking how far the franchise has sunk before watching them.

First one is a "What if" Hayate was the star of the first Season and not Nanoha. It contains a truly Hayate way of resolving her issues with Fate.
Spoiler for The solution:

Also since Hayate wields Raising Hearth, then Nanoha gets to be "The LORD of Night Sky". The idea intrigues me and at the same time terrifies me as it should any right thinking person that wants the strong and weak atomic forces to keep his atoms together. That will not be the case any more if Nanoha get her hands on THAT amount of power.

The second and third ones are about a show supposedly airing on Midchildan TV "Nurse Girl Medical Shamal". A girl whose mother suspiciously looks like Hayate gets the ability to transform into Nurse Girl Medical Shamal so she can heal people. She is oposed by the doctors of darkness who are played by the Wolkenritter (Vita, Signum, Reinforce I and Zafira). This is the great opportunity to see them give 100% ham evil intros to themselves. The second (third) one gives a brief overview of the plot of the season with the "SURPRISING TWIST" (they lampshade that it's hardly surprising) and how would the season end.

The fourth is about a show that would center on the Magical Wolkenritter family who appear as a normal family yet they hide a SECRET. In SECRET they solve and fight magical problems in the neighborhood.
Spoiler for The Family:

The fifth is set in a school setting with the older cast being Teachers/Administrators while the younger ones are students. Their school is confronted by the harsh private school run by Regius and Jail and attended by Numbers and Lutecia. The whole spiel from Regius is about how harshness and discipline is better than fluffiness of the Aces's school. His entire spiel kind of reminds me of something Satsuki from Kill la Kill might say with the amount of hotbloodedness that I half expected for block letters to start slamming into the screen with his every sentence.

All in all the art is nice, and we get to see the familiar characters in different fanfictey settings. The only problem with the art is that it's following the Vivid's example of using every chance it can get to show half naked preteens.

Basically even if most of these are as silly stupid and insane as a pile of [insert small animal here] these are like 10000% better and more watchable than Strike. And hell some of them don't even use Nanoha that much.
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-30, 11:52   Link #1239
lyrical dark mage

lol yeah i remember watching the shamal and Yagami family one they were funny weird thing is I understood the idea without a translation
lyrical dark mage is offline   Reply With Quote