AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-22, 04:32   Link #1
Claymore636

Question Is Ace the real brother of Luffy ? Why??

We know all that Ace doesn't have in his name D.MONKEY, like Luffy. But why they are brothers???
Old 2007-07-22, 11:20   Link #2
A Lamer
あほぉ&

They are half brothers, possibly with the same mother since ace doesn't really share some of the more common Monkey D. traits that luffy and his grandpa have.
Old 2007-07-22, 11:30   Link #3
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
even thought luffy call ace brother, i doubt that they related by blood...

i think the reason why luffy call Ace like that is because is Ace older than luffy by three years or more and Ace took care of luffy ever since they where kids ... and beside luffy didn't know who was his father until recently and most likely he doesn't know the name of his mother as well.
Old 2007-07-24, 01:44   Link #4
cy_ph3r
Pirate King

They were trained together by Garp so I think they are brothers! Maybe half but still they are blood related...
Old 2007-07-24, 11:05   Link #5
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer View Post
They are half brothers, possibly with the same mother since ace doesn't really share some of the more common Monkey D. traits that luffy and his grandpa have.
Not true, Ace is a narcaleptic just like Luffy and Garp, so thats a trait that they share. He may not be as silly as they are, but his personality in many ways are similar, he's just a little more mature. Besides even if he didn't have any characteristics like Luffy and Garp that really doesn't mean anything, because Luffy's father doesn't either. The way I see it there are two possibilities:

1.) Ace changed his name after becoming a pirate.

2.) They decided not to give him the same name as his father and Grandpa and gave it to Luffy instead because it suited him better.

3.) (As suggested by others) The D in there names, since its shared by so many others, are actually there last name, and Monkey and Portgas are just there middle name or something.

In either of the three scenarios I'd say that even if he is Luffy's half brother (Which is most likely the case) he's probably Dragon's son. All things considered he acts more like Dragon then Luffy or Garp.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2007-07-24, 11:50   Link #6
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
Not true, Ace is a narcaleptic just like Luffy and Garp, so thats a trait that they share. He may not be as silly as they are, but his personality in many ways are similar, he's just a little more mature. Besides even if he didn't have any characteristics like Luffy and Garp that really doesn't mean anything, because Luffy's father doesn't either. The way I see it there are two possibilities:

1.) Ace changed his name after becoming a pirate.

2.) They decided not to give him the same name as his father and Grandpa and gave it to Luffy instead because it suited him better.

3.) (As suggested by others) The D in there names, since its shared by so many others, are actually there last name, and Monkey and Portgas are just there middle name or something.

In either of the three scenarios I'd say that even if he is Luffy's half brother (Which is most likely the case) he's probably Dragon's son. All things considered he acts more like Dragon then Luffy or Garp.
We don't really know how dragon acts though. We've seen only two instances of him, and they were in serious moments. Its like saying luffy is a very serious person after only seeing his fights with don krieg and arlong. I will give the narcolepsy though, I forgot about the scene where he fell asleep in that bar. Then again, luffy doesn't seem to randomly fall asleep in the middle of conversations or meals (except for the recent case with garp, but to be fair his grandpa is a bit of a jerk, I'd fall asleep too :V )

As for D being the real last name, I don't think thats the case. Theres been no evidence that blackbeard is related to luffy in any way, nor jaguar D. saul. I think its more of a middle name, and it seems to coincidentally appear in the very people destined to shape the world. Jaguar did it when he helped robin escape, gol d roger did it when he became the pirate king and started the age of piracy into its golden era, dragon is doing it through the revolution, and luffy will of course be the next pirate king, shaping a whole new generation like gol D. did.

.... well that spun rather far from the subject :V In either case, I agree, whether they are related by mother or father, they're definitely half brothers. I chose mother because I was hoping that would explain the last name, but I'm not entirely sure how surnames in marriage function in japan, so it could still go either way.
Old 2007-07-24, 13:10   Link #7
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

I think he is. Ace has called him his Little brother...he worries about him...in the way an Older brother would........although there is the issue of names..
Old 2007-07-24, 13:14   Link #8
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer View Post
We don't really know how dragon acts though. We've seen only two instances of him, and they were in serious moments. Its like saying luffy is a very serious person after only seeing his fights with don krieg and arlong. I will give the narcolepsy though, I forgot about the scene where he fell asleep in that bar. Then again, luffy doesn't seem to randomly fall asleep in the middle of conversations or meals (except for the recent case with garp, but to be fair his grandpa is a bit of a jerk, I'd fall asleep too :V )

As for D being the real last name, I don't think thats the case. Theres been no evidence that blackbeard is related to luffy in any way, nor jaguar D. saul. I think its more of a middle name, and it seems to coincidentally appear in the very people destined to shape the world. Jaguar did it when he helped robin escape, gol d roger did it when he became the pirate king and started the age of piracy into its golden era, dragon is doing it through the revolution, and luffy will of course be the next pirate king, shaping a whole new generation like gol D. did.

.... well that spun rather far from the subject :V In either case, I agree, whether they are related by mother or father, they're definitely half brothers. I chose mother because I was hoping that would explain the last name, but I'm not entirely sure how surnames in marriage function in japan, so it could still go either way.
Well the thing about D being a last name was just a possible scenario. My point was, due to his fighting ability and that narcolepsy thing that him Luffy and Garp share, I find it far more likely he's Dragon's son. And as far as Dragon is concerned, Oda's character's personalities are usually monotone, meaning the way they act when you see them is usually the way they always act (the only exception would be those who were converted into good guys, or had their lives changed by Luffy). It's true that we've only seen him two times, but in both those instances he had a very serious and stern look. Even when Garp described him the image that was being shown of him was very serious, where as if someone had described Luffy, Garp, or even Ace their image would have a big grin on their face. Let me put it to you this way, I doubt the next time we see Dragon he'll be digging in his nose, and pulling meat out of his pocket.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2007-07-26, 06:08   Link #9
UchihaByakuya

All i have to say is ace FELL ASLEEP EATING.
Old 2007-07-26, 10:55   Link #10
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaByakuya View Post
All i have to say is ace FELL ASLEEP EATING.
And Luffy EATS IN HIS SLEEP, whats your point?
Old 2007-07-26, 17:20   Link #11
drkstar

there is the possibility that Luffy took his fathers name Monkey and Ace took his mothers name Portgas
Old 2007-07-27, 01:05   Link #12
UchihaByakuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
And Luffy EATS IN HIS SLEEP, whats your point?
Who else has the capacity to sleep on such occasions except besides luffy's family? XD
Old 2007-08-31, 05:33   Link #13
EdAnnoyingOlderSis13
Ed'sAnnoyingSister

Send a message via AIM to EdAnnoyingOlderSis13
I do!!!!I fell asleep in math right in the middle of the lesson,did the same thing in world history and the year before in civics and math,and I fall asleep in almost every normal class at least once a year if not more.
Old 2007-08-31, 13:50   Link #14
Slayerx

Y'know, it is entirely possible that Ace and Luffy are direct brothers and the reason why Ace has a different last name is because they gave him the mothers last name. Perhaps Dragon and his lover decided they wanted to share the last names and as such gave one the mothers name, and the younger son the father's name.

Think about this, if they were half brothers and both related through Dragon, then that would mean Ace should STILL have the last name Monkey (grant it, it's possible they would use the first lover's last name)... if they are retlated through the mother however, then unless the mother or Ace's father, also carried the D. in their name, then it seems odd that Ace would also carry the D. in his name... Yes i know, that so far, those with D's in their names are not related (jagar and blackbeard), but based on Garp, Dragon and Luffy, the D. does seem to be passed down through the generations of a family
Closed Thread