AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-04-07, 17:20   Link #101
Blaat

Victory Gundam was made in 1993-1994, it has, probably along with the original Gundam tv show (not the movie IMO) the worst animation in a Gundam because it was made when Sunrise was in financial difficulty. Hence the real simple animation and cheap techniques.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 18:22   Link #102
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Gundam doesn't always = big robot battles all the time. Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam and such usually revolved around a bit of that and around character development to show how they can change during war, both positively and negatively.

A lot of UC fans like Zeta not just because of battles, but because of how the story is and how characters change. Same with Victory and how it so drastically changes the younger generation in comparison to the older as well as how much it can be different between 2 people.

People who started Gundam off with Gundam Wing's airing in America (or G Gundam or SEED), obviously, will usually not partake too well with some of the older series because they're not purely action-packed like Wing was with, frankly, very bland characters and NOT a very good storyline.

Mostly just blow this thing up, blow that thing up, what the hell, blow everything up and kill off people.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 22:24   Link #103
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
The thing about Zeta, is that the battles were bland, and seemed poorly choregraphed. Even though the setting's changed, it felt like i was watching the same battles. THe majority of the series is boring, i found it hard to care about any of the chracters, with an exception of Bask, Emma, and Katz. Maybe even jerid if he wasn't mistreated towards the end.

Not to mention, some of the plot comes off stupid especially towards the end, as well as they way the titans were handled.
Old 2007-04-08, 22:35   Link #104
Red_Eclipse
Phoenix

You forget this series was made when the animation wasn't as "sparkly" yet. I started off watching Gundam Wing in the US, but as I looked back on the older series, these new demi-god boyban series seriously have nothing on the old school ones. For starters they copy the storyline/mask villian/my mother's donkey's, boyrfriend's, best friend's, pet goldfish is on the opposite team thing.

If the series were reanimated with better music, it'd be awesome. I think you'd appreciate the series more if you watched the orignal Mobile Suit Gundam with the whole Amuro vs Char thing. What made Zeta kick-ass was the fact that they were working together, keeping in mind that Camille was still the main character (And animated so, unlike a certain other modern day series which failed to correctly point out the main character...)

The plot was good but the way it ended sort of seemed rushed. (Although in Double Zeta is it you have cameo of Camille getting out of his stupor state?) For me, the series was all about Camille's progress from an impulsive amateur to a real hero.

Visit My Graphic Site: The Forgotten Lair
Red_Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 22:43   Link #105
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
The animation is fine, infact i actually like the oldstyle animation, but as i said before it's boring. I find ZZ, and the original MSG series more entertaining than Zeta. Animation is never an issue.
Old 2007-04-09, 23:13   Link #106
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Eclipse View Post
You forget this series was made when the animation wasn't as "sparkly" yet. I started off watching Gundam Wing in the US, but as I looked back on the older series, these new demi-god boyban series seriously have nothing on the old school ones. For starters they copy the storyline/mask villian/my mother's donkey's, boyrfriend's, best friend's, pet goldfish is on the opposite team thing.
I don't think that the this is a reason why certain people dislike Zeta. Anyone who's put off by it's artwork is unlikely to watch the whole thing in the first place. I certainly thought that Zeta's art was fine; moreover, it was much better than Victory in this respect, but I still vastly prefer Victory.

Quote:
If the series were reanimated with better music, it'd be awesome. I think you'd appreciate the series more if you watched the orignal Mobile Suit Gundam with the whole Amuro vs Char thing. What made Zeta kick-ass was the fact that they were working together, keeping in mind that Camille was still the main character (And animated so, unlike a certain other modern day series which failed to correctly point out the main character...)
It's quite likely that most people who watch Zeta would have seen Mobile Suit Gundam as well. While I didn't really care that much about Amuro and Char working together, I thought that their interaction and verbal interplay was absolutely fascinating - it's a real shame that Tomino decided to throw all of it away in Char's Counterattack. For the record, Amuro is my favorite character in Zeta whereas I didn't like him in Mobile Suit Gundam at all.

Quote:
The plot was good but the way it ended sort of seemed rushed. (Although in Double Zeta is it you have cameo of Camille getting out of his stupor state?) For me, the series was all about Camille's progress from an impulsive amateur to a real hero.
I think that Camille's development was quite decent. It may have taken a while for his character to get interesting, but the journey wasn't that bad at all. So far, the points you have made are some of Zeta's strongest elements. I think that it's too bad that the rest of the show didn't live up to the same level of quality.
Old 2008-11-07, 14:35   Link #107
oxblud

Just started watching this & at the halfway point. Pretty entertaining but Kamille is in need of some major anger management. Pretty irritating for a main character. I'm hoping Amuro eventually shuts him down. Fa & Katz are so annoying! They should have been taken out long ago for their stupidity & recklessness. I love how people get slapped around & punched like nothing. The good ole days of discipline. Many of the battle scenes are confusing though as to who is who. I like Char a lot in this series. One of the most level headed characters so far.
oxblud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 15:03   Link #108
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblud View Post
I love how people get slapped around & punched like nothing. The good ole days of discipline.
One of these days, i'm gonna rewatch Zeta Gundam, and count ever single slap/punch/kick we see in the show because there are so many. Each one is just as awesome as the last.

& really like Kamille in the series. His attitude problem is what makes him stand out and make him the perfect choice for a main character during Titans VS AEUG battle.
Old 2008-11-07, 15:07   Link #109
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
One of these days, i'm gonna rewatch Zeta Gundam, and count ever single slap/punch/kick we see in the show because there are so many. Each one is just as awesome as the last.

& really like Kamille in the series. His attitude problem is what makes him stand out and make him the perfect choice for a main character during Titans VS AEUG battle.

Why do that when you can just watch it here?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 15:18   Link #110
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've done it with that before, though it's just no fun.
Old 2008-11-07, 15:40   Link #111
oxblud

Hahaha that video is the best!!!!!!!!
Old 2008-11-07, 16:31   Link #112
Blaat

Great video, I forgot how many times people got slapped around in Zeta Gundam.
Old 2008-11-07, 17:15   Link #113
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Great video, I forgot how many times people got slapped around in Zeta Gundam.
& here i am thinking they're all unforgettable.
Old 2008-11-07, 17:41   Link #114
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& here i am thinking they're all unforgettable.
In my defence every time I rewatch Zeta I go for the 'less time consuming' route and watch the films where, sadly enough, the amount of slapping has been reduced.
Old 2008-11-08, 13:37   Link #115
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Gundam doesn't always = big robot battles all the time. Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam and such usually revolved around a bit of that and around character development to show how they can change during war, both positively and negatively.

A lot of UC fans like Zeta not just because of battles, but because of how the story is and how characters change. Same with Victory and how it so drastically changes the younger generation in comparison to the older as well as how much it can be different between 2 people.

People who started Gundam off with Gundam Wing's airing in America (or G Gundam or SEED), obviously, will usually not partake too well with some of the older series because they're not purely action-packed like Wing was with, frankly, very bland characters and NOT a very good storyline.

Mostly just blow this thing up, blow that thing up, what the hell, blow everything up and kill off people.
More like the opposite. Gundam shows are never about the battles, and always about the BIGGER PICTURE and some stupid ideals clashing and silly character development as they change due to the HARSH war environment that we've seen countless upon countless of times.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a hardcore UC fan, but I have watched up from MSG to CCA. And I for one, did not give a damn about the characters other than Amuro. The kid was friggin real as hell, like MSG, he does all this stupid crap that only slice of life shows do now, like sucking his thumb and what not. He also didn't always win, though later on I started questioning why people would make Big Zam when something somewhat outdated like Gundam can just slice it in half like that. Among all else, UC was when I was a kid, so I sure as hell only gave a damn about the fights. Oh and Char's attire was bad ass for it's time, you know, when POWER RANGERS was in with the little kids. I mean, I liked char, until like, he got the Gelgoog and that's when I realized he was never going to beat Amuro. And I was a damn kid then who still played lego.

Quote:
Really? Because I've seen some people here who love Wing and claim it's story is the shizzle. Again, I think the characters suck, and the story was fail as someone as fabulous but stupid as Treize could be considered some hero or whatever. About the only person semi-likable was Zechs in the OVA, because he simply looked way better without the GIMP char mask and Tall Geese 3 was LOL during it's scene blasting the asteroid.

Quote:
You forget this series was made when the animation wasn't as "sparkly" yet.
Sparklies have nothing to do with it. Animation was worse then, and because of that, writers could be sloppy about action scenes. Even then, Amuro vs Char in the beginning and Amuro vs Rambo Ral were far higher quality in scale than most of Gundam Wing besides say Wing Zero versus Epyon, which still loses to the epic ness of CCA Amuro Ray versus Char.

When bad scenes happen, they happen because 1. animation team got sloppy 2. the writer didn't think it through. It's bound to happen, you can't have every single fight be a Matrix benchmark. But it still doesn't keep people like me from saying it sucks when it does =]

Quote:
What made Zeta kick-ass was the fact that they were working together, keeping in mind that Camille was still the main character
Kind of, but that's about it. You know how Destiny worked? Where Kira became the protagonist again just taking Shin out of the spotlight? Unlike most people, I felt that was the right thing to do, simply because Shin sucked from a story perspective (Fanboys need to try to touch me, less you admit you believe raging and raging and raging is more appropriate than Jesus preachings) and wasn't going to evolve any further. Two characters that don't evolve, I'll take the one that makes me lawl more. Camille on the other hand, just got in the way of Amuro being awesome, and so Amuro was not awesome, Char was not awesome, and Camille was....Camille.

Quote:
For me, the series was all about Camille's progress from an impulsive amateur to a real hero.
Me too, that's why it sucked. I'm sorry, I just can't sympathize with a big loser who just so happens to be so damn amazing with plot pilot hax.

Quote:
I find ZZ, and the original MSG series more entertaining than Zeta.
ZZ was just as fail as Zeta. People almost stopped dying. What the HELL.

Quote:
I think that Camille's development was quite decent. It may have taken a while for his character to get interesting, but the journey wasn't that bad at all. So far, the points you have made are some of Zeta's strongest elements. I think that it's too bad that the rest of the show didn't live up to the same level of quality.
Exactly, it was watchable, but it wasn't something I think UC fanboys can go LOOK AT THIS STUFF SEE HOW GUD IT WAS BACK THEN? and we'd all be like OH YES I C DURRR. What made MSG good imo was the fact that before it, the whole standard of gundam was crap low, and anime as a whole was CRAP to begin with. You guys ever been to those museums where they show the history of anime? CRAP WAS BAD MAN, BAD. Like, Spongebob Squarepants looked SOPHISTICATED bad. MSG was like WOAHHHHHHH in that age.

As for art, the Shurato anime was by far the most bad ass, they got all Saint Seiyay without being all fabulous and what not and spam golden armor. And certain characters armor design was so awesome, I think you can even make a gundam out of it and it wouldn't be wrong.

Quote:
One of the only reasons old Gundam was considered better than the new ones =]

Quote:
His attitude problem is indeed fitting, but don't you just find him too lame some what? Hard to explain, but the kid just doesn't seem awesome to me. But hey, rarely anyone in Gundam ever does =P so I guess it's okay!
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 13:39   Link #116
oxblud

Speaking of getting physical, the last two 00 episodes had Saji getting decked, Smirnov decking an officer, Tieria slapping Saji, & Smirnov getting slapped by Lindt.

Question about the Mark II.... in all the long story I lost track but what happened to the other two Mark IIs?
Old 2008-11-10, 15:19   Link #117
Kikuchi

They were supposedly scrapped for testing/research purpose. But Ecole du Ciel confirmed that one of the two units was kept intact for actual testing. The test pilot was Jack Baird.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 19:55   Link #118
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

It makes me wonder what will happen if Amuro was one of the founders of AEUG? (like in GvZ)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 03:39   Link #119
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
It makes me wonder what will happen if Amuro was one of the founders of AEUG? (like in GvZ)
He would be beating up Kamille instead of Wong Lee? ^^
Old 2008-11-11, 10:14   Link #120
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
He would be beating up Kamille instead of Wong Lee? ^^
Kamille: I heard from others that I am the second coming of you.

Amuro: You're my WHAT! (slaps/punches Kamille)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote