AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 22:47   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Do Defeats in action anime truly mean Friendship?

I don't know if thus truly happens in real life but do defeats in action anime really equal friendship? I guess once someone has experienced the 'agony of defeat' they come to fear the person who had defeated them and become their 'friends', what hurts more than a wound from 'friend'? I don't know whether this is truly friendship or just plain brainwashing (or whatever the term is) to come around to that person's point of view but I don't believe that beating the crap out of some poor guy means 'friendship' or anything of that nature yet I see it all the time in shows like Bleach, Nanoha or even some other action show where the hero gets allies by beating them or 'befriend' them with their superior moral aptitude via fighting power. Is this truly realistic or I do just need to experience this in real life to get an accurate assessment of this?
Old 2009-03-29, 23:03   Link #2
Jeiku

There's a bit of truth in this concept, especially during wars. After such massive events as the World Wars, countries such as Japan and Germany have since formed good or non-hostile relations with the U.S.

I guess in action shows, the defeated side may have a change of heart upon being surprised by the hero's morale and intentions. It might not be inherently practical in real life, but there's a great deal of romanticism attached to friendship being the outcome of a battle, and it has become a prominent staple in many types of stories.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 23:04   Link #3
GreatTeacherKen

I suppose it depends on the situation, defeat means friendship probably isn't likely to happen in the middle of a life and death situation, but I suppose it can happen on comparatively less high stakes situations like a game of basketball or something.

It probably happens a lot in action anime because people probably find it more entertaining than sitting down for a spot of tea and having a nice chat with each other. Anyway, I find Nanoha's befriending to be amusing and I wouldn't have it any other way.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 00:22   Link #4
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

In Nanoha Fate, Signum or Vita weren't even proud of what they were doing themselves. Once they lost their reason to fight against Nanoha becoming her allies was the only rational choice.
Usually in anime and manga when an archenemy becomes the main character ally it's because he previously was forced for some reasons to be "evil", or some situation has drastically changed his objective.

To find a similar situation in the real world it's very hard, but i have no doubt that if menaced by a serious threat even the worst enemies would start to cooperate if that means a higher chance of survival.

Anyway in the past great empires prospered because by conquering a nation they would automatically acquire their soldiers. You do not really think that a small country like Macedonia or a single city like Rome could have enough soldiers to dominate such vast empires. The defeated became part of the victorious force.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 00:43   Link #5
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

depends on the show and character relations.

most japanese action anime characters still fight with honor, which the stronger their opponent is the more respect they have towards them...

it's this big honor thing, an become happy to find a opponent worth a while.... things like that.... a lot of the fight where they end up being friends are fight to see whos the strongest. revenge is another thing..
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 00:46   Link #6
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

It's not "friendship," you naive people, it's called Foe Yay.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 01:02   Link #7
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Is this truly realistic or I do just need to experience this in real life to get an accurate assessment of this?
I just beat up my boss yesterday and he gave me a nice raise and treats me with respect, I suggest you try it too
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 01:11   Link #8
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
It's not "friendship," you naive people, it's called Foe Yay.
I think that's a different thing altogether.
Anyway it's mainly the antagonist is so amazed that the protagonist is still nice to them even though they're enemies and is unwilling to kill them (and even try to save them) even though they tried to kill them, stole the dreams of children, drained people of their energy, stole the prince's heart, stole their grandfathers card, betrayed them, opposed them in war, broke someone's arm, are willing to let others die and cheated at Angelic Layer.

Most of the times these antagonists don't have friends of their own so friendship is an alien concept. The theory behind this is that friendship stops people becoming evil. Of course this ignores the fact that if you have evil friends you can easily be dragged into evil acts yourself.
Old 2009-03-30, 01:23   Link #9
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm not sure about "defeat," but I've been on bad terms with lots of people but then later on become friends. I don't know how to explain it, but I think that you learn more about each other when you are enemies...or something.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 01:29   Link #10
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

They say hug your friends tight, but hug your enemies tighter. Hug them so tight that they can't wriggle. The truth is that present enemies are usually future allies. People who don't see that tend to lose out.
Old 2009-03-30, 01:39   Link #11
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I thought I had a reference to a historical Japanese fight, but can't seem to find it. I read once of a bo (staff) master who defeated a samurai swordsman in a legendary fight. The samurai was humbled and became a student of the bo master.

If anyone can find the reference, I'd appreciate it.
Old 2009-03-30, 07:51   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

It can only happen if it was a fair fight, a well and true defeat. And if the opponents follow certain moral principles or Bushido.

In Martial Arts, if one has learnt well and knows how to respect, getting defeated will only increase his respect of his opponent and may very well make them better friends.

In Martial Arts sometimes we think that the best way to understand the opponent is when we crossed fists.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 09:02   Link #13
othera

For real life:
Usually after an argument with somoene(usually on internet) we end up saying, screw it lets be friends - Dono why but i always get to the point where i just can't be bothered hating someone

As for anime, yeah most i see the bad guy will be beat up by the good guy, then realise what he is doing is stupid, and decides to help the heroe(usually due to them being nice even though they are evil and such)
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 16:40   Link #14
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Hmmm i don't think so , this thing happens a lot in the anime . But not very much in reality .
Anyway for me , my enemies didn't become my friends .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 16:43   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Hmmm i don't think so , this thing happens a lot in the anime . But not very much in reality .
Anyway for me , my enemies didn't become my friends .
That could be because you didn't give them a fair and sound defeat.

You need to defeat them first and make sure they admit defeat.

Admitting defeat is the most important part, that way they can realise they're wrong and forgive you.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 17:25   Link #16
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Defeat Means Friendship. Should have mentioned by now. Foe Yay isn't enough, Irenicus, you dropped the ball on this one.
Old 2009-07-20, 07:52   Link #17
Fate21
Kiyu~

Not really, but sometimes they're just don't want to listen until they get defeated.
Fate21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 11:18   Link #18
Shadow Kira01

No, unless you mean shounen animes, then maybe...
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 12:21   Link #19
Kafriel
Senior Guest

IRL, no way....in anime/manga, it depends on the conditions of the fight: most of the time people fight for their ideals so the losing party finds new light in the winner's philosophy and decides to tag along. At other times though a defeat can induce anger and vengeance (see Sasuke/Itachi) and raise walls between people who were previously friends.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 13:36   Link #20
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
After a defeat every side recognize that the other side wasn't that bad and it would be better if they would have been allies and not enemies.

Insight comes late.