AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-04-18, 08:19   Link #961
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
Re: The licensing of the SH novels ... How's this for a scheme? What if a small-time, independent translation agency (Yes, I know one) approaches Little Brown and offers them a bulk purchase of the translation of the first nine volumes of SH (Baka-Tsuki's, obviously), initially done as 'practice' for 'personal entertainment', rather than commercial reasons.
Point out to Little Brown that these translations only need a bit of editing now and that the independent agency is willing to sell them for a considerably lower price than they'd have to pay to another translation agency for starting from scratch.
If they go for it, we have something very close to Baka-Tsuki's translations hitting the shelves, Little Brown has a good reason to get started on the fresh translation of volume 10 (or might even subcontract to said translation agency, which can then submit the request to the Baka-Tsuki team, if they're interested) and it might not take years and years and years for the light novels to reach the fans.
And to top it all off, there might be a nice little bit of earnings in it both for the agency in question and for the Baka-Tsuki team, which might be an incentive.

Alright, I am ready for your brutal reality checks ...

Don't think this will happen. As everyone knows, the translation at Baka-Tsuki are WILDLY inaccurate and at some place just made up....erm...yeah.

honest.

if anyone tries to sell this, without employing experienced translators and editors then they are in for a surprise and criticism in the professional world for using Baka-Tsuki translation. a publishing company? using something from the internet? hah. it's like using wikipedia for the official annual budget for China military expenses, we know how reliable Wikipedia is....riiiight.

How do i know this? well...

a someone of a someone who i heard about knows the "translators" , so erm...yeah......people just filled in the blanks so it was fine for Fan translation, so people are going to SHOCKED when they read the real translation.

Just ask A.F.K of subbing fame.

He hates Baka-Tsuki with PASSION because they ruined SHnY novel with their sub-standard amateurish script.

trust me. i speak truth.

*scuttle away into a dark alley*
Old 2008-04-18, 09:14   Link #962
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiet View Post
Maybe I'm a tad optimistic. Though I kinda wish the prices for the novels were just a tad cheaper, but I'm ordering them off Amazon as soon as I see them~
Given that the average retail price for new paperback novels in America is $7.99 these days, paying $8.99 isn't so bad. I had been expecting $9.99 (the same price as the average manga these days). I can just make my own sandwiches for lunch instead of buying lunches for a week.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 09:40   Link #963
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Don't think this will happen. As everyone knows, the translation at Baka-Tsuki are WILDLY inaccurate and at some place just made up....erm...yeah.

honest.

if anyone tries to sell this, without employing experienced translators and editors then they are in for a surprise and criticism in the professional world for using Baka-Tsuki translation. a publishing company? using something from the internet? hah. it's like using wikipedia for the official annual budget for China military expenses, we know how reliable Wikipedia is....riiiight.

How do i know this? well...

a someone of a someone who i heard about knows the "translators" , so erm...yeah......people just filled in the blanks so it was fine for Fan translation, so people are going to SHOCKED when they read the real translation.

Just ask A.F.K of subbing fame.

He hates Baka-Tsuki with PASSION because they ruined SHnY novel with their sub-standard amateurish script.

trust me. i speak truth.

*scuttle away into a dark alley*
Really? Well, considering how Baka-tsuki's translations are based off the CHINESE version and not the original japanese ones, I suppose that's logical. (It's kinda similar to several norwegian manga-translations, like One Piece and Dragonball, which were based off the danish version, which was translated from the german version. A translation of a translation of a translation, in other words.)
Though I myself have no way of knowing how accurate ANY translation is, being that I can't read kanji at all, and therefore I can't compare it to the original version. Though one thing is certain: I am definitely going to buy those novels. Glad they're finally coming out.
Old 2008-04-18, 10:11   Link #964
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
If Baka-tsuki is that far off ... I'm looking forward to these official translations even more.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 10:16   Link #965
dreamoflife
SIDE

Send a message via AIM to dreamoflife
One of the main reasons I'm looking forward to an actual translation is that while I can't say anything one way or the other about BT's accuracy, their translation definitely reads like something that's been translated from Japanese (or Chinese) into English. That's definitely one of the most challenging things about translating from any language, making it sound natural in the language it's being translated to, and something I'd rather trust to actual professionals-- these books are supposedly really well written in the Japanese, but that doesn't really come across in the BT translations. (Not that I don't appreciate what BT did do, because I'm definitely very grateful to them. )
dreamoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 11:28   Link #966
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I sure hope that this cynicism isn't contagious...

Too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Really? Well, considering how Baka-tsuki's translations are based off the CHINESE version and not the original japanese ones, I suppose that's logical. (It's kinda similar to several norwegian manga-translations, like One Piece and Dragonball, which were based off the danish version, which was translated from the german version. A translation of a translation of a translation, in other words.)
*sigh*

Quote:
If Baka-tsuki is that far off ... I'm looking forward to these official translations even more.
*sigh again*
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 12:04   Link #967
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
*sigh again*
*pat pat* There, there. You can still c&p BT, can't you?
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 12:06   Link #968
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
*pat pat* There, there. You can still c&p BT, can't you?
I already did. That wasn't what I was sighing about. Check your PMs.
Old 2008-04-18, 16:24   Link #969
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Professional translators are wonderful - especially if they're not doing a translation of a translation. The real crapshoot is the localization department, which is where things can get ugly (or downright unrecognizable); if translating a novel is like building a house, blaming watering-down on translators is like blaming the framers for a crappy paint job.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 16:50   Link #970
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Too late.

*sigh*

*sigh again*

*frantic hand signal*

stick to the plan! to the plan! plan-d! Plan-d!

*throws the plan to the ground*

daaammn you! konoyarou!

*runs off to form another propaganda plan*

....must....survive......must.....survive!....

>_<
Old 2008-04-18, 17:05   Link #971
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Professional translators are wonderful - especially if they're not doing a translation of a translation. The real crapshoot is the localization department, which is where things can get ugly (or downright unrecognizable); if translating a novel is like building a house, blaming watering-down on translators is like blaming the framers for a crappy paint job.
Which is exactly what I'm worried about.

SOME localization departments, not ALL, but SOME-- hate Japan and everything Japanese and try to remove all references to it.

I certainly hope Little, Brown and Company/Hatchett Book Group don't have a localization department like that.
Old 2008-04-18, 17:17   Link #972
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

Spoiler:

Still... Baka-Tsuki stuff can let you get the basic summaries of the novels. Although not in detail.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 18:46   Link #973
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:

SOME localization departments, not ALL, but SOME-- hate Japan and everything Japanese and try to remove all references to it.

I certainly hope Little, Brown and Company/Hatchett Book Group don't have a localization department like that.
Little Brown appears like it's head office is out of England though it most likely has a US division. Will this help localisation? Dunno. Though considering alot of the plot factors of Haruhi, I can't see them removing all references. Tanabata has a significant roll of the entire series and requires many Japanese references. It still means little at this point but it's a thought.
Old 2008-04-18, 18:54   Link #974
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:

I don't know if they hate Japan... probably more like they want their product to be easier to digest in a hope to boost sales. Can't blame a company for wanting to make money, but they're probably a little out of touch with the target demographic if they think something like what was done with Power Rangers will work here. The fact that they're releasing a hardcover edition does ease my worries a little bit, though.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 19:07   Link #975
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
Little Brown appears like it's head office is out of England though it most likely has a US division. Will this help localisation? Dunno. Though considering alot of the plot factors of Haruhi, I can't see them removing all references. Tanabata has a significant roll of the entire series and requires many Japanese references. It still means little at this point but it's a thought.
XD it can always be referenced...
like at the bottom of the page.

*Tanabata
(Definition)
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 19:14   Link #976
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Or it can be in the back of the book.

I would personally prefer the footnote approach unless the amount of references or the size of the information is large. At that point, I would advocate putting it in the back of the book.

I would say that most of the references will probably be in the back of the book due to size. Baka-Tsuki's WILDLY inaccurate translations have shown that some references might take up more space than allowed for a footnote.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 19:15   Link #977
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
The thing is that they never seem to have translators with any idea of the culture of Japan, they could always hire a Japanese translator rather than one from elsewhere, after all they ought to know their own culture the best.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 20:11   Link #978
Setsuna Asuka

Not unless you want engrish...
Old 2008-04-18, 20:27   Link #979
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Don't you think it is too soon to start complaining about a translation than do not exist yet ?
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 21:44   Link #980
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
We like to complain about translations, usually just because we're against the Americanizing of the series; it'll lose its feel to some people. I myself want it out so I can own a copy which I van read at night with a light on behind me.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga