AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-01-15, 22:48   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The shorter height weights look okay but most of the taller girls seem gaunt/underweight. I'd up the weights on each one over 5'4" by at least 5-15 pounds to reflect the extra muscle tone. I used to work with a slim Korean girl who was a hair under six feet and she was typically 150 pounds (a fair amount of that was her well-toned legs from snowboarding).
Old 2013-01-15, 22:57   Link #22
judasmartel
*Author

Well, I guess Saori from OreImo (180cm, 61kg or 5-11, 134lb) is pretty underweight.

So 19+ BMI sounds right for taller girls? Great.

I intended my MC to be 185cm (6-1), but I guess that's pretty unrealistic for a 15 year old. But hey, Nazuna Takanashi from WORKING! is already 172cm at age 11.

I may have to revise the chart above later since it's unofficial.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. What do you think about the 3 sizes? I have very little knowledge about it. I guess the 3 sizes aren't important in my story, but I want to include them in the data pages I will include in between chapters.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 23:12   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh, that I have no clue on - all I can suggest is googling for tall asian models and their three sizes and scope down from that. The hips will tend to run larger with the extra muscle but waist and bust can vary depending on how you want to portray the character. Busts will likely be smaller than hips, though.
Old 2013-01-15, 23:28   Link #24
judasmartel
*Author

Anyways, thanks a big deal.

For today, I have to research LNs to find a good way to start one. I'm pretty excited to "publish". the first chapter of this one. I have three other stories to tell (one RPG, two novels [one a quiz bowl story, the other a Superpower Academy story a la TAMNI]), but I'll have to save them for later because I have no other ideas for those.
Old 2013-01-17, 07:47   Link #25
judasmartel
*Author

One more thing.

I'm not sure how high school tournaments in Japan work. One thing I know is that it's usually a single-elimination tournament.

Slam Dunk has a Prefectural -> Nationals route, and it featured a round-robin Final Four in the Kanagawa Prefectural Finals. The top two teams, Kainan (3-0) and Shohoku (2-1), qualified for the Nationals.

Prince of Tennis has a Division (Prefectural?) -> Regional -> Nationals route, but I don't remember any round-robin Final Four being played in any level.

I'm also torn between Tokyo and Kanagawa as the setting for the hero team. Shohoku played in the Kanagawa prefecture, Seigaku in the Tokyo Prefecture. Saitama is also close, but I'm not really feeling like it.

I'm leaning towards a round-robin Final Four in the Prefecturals, but it should be single-elimination all the way towards the National Finals. That way, the hero team can lose games without ending the story too quickly. However, I'm not sure if a round-robin Final Four could also work in the Regionals (i.e., the Kanto Tournament).

I'm also thinking of a US NCAA style or Koshien baseball style National Tournament where some teams get byes depending on how well they fared in the Prefecturals (and Regionals if applicable). In addition, like in PoT, the host prefecture gets more participants than the others.

I'm guessing that since Japan has 47 prefectures in all, add one more and you get 48. It could be Hokkaido B because Hokkaido is too big.

Any ideas?

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-01-17 at 07:59.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:48   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh, you're way outside my clue vat on those items. All I can suggest is to google for any write ups on Japanese high school basketball.
Old 2013-01-20, 07:18   Link #27
judasmartel
*Author

I'm about to start this thing... but I can't come up with really good names for characters and teams!

I've been searching through the net and have come up with names from there, but they don't seem to rhyme nor fit into the character.

Any better ideas?
Old 2013-01-20, 15:32   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

When I'm creating characters for an mmo, I'll go to the 'baby name' lists for various cultures and check their meaning as well as their sound. Then I'll try to tie their personality to their name (or invert it for humor, like naming a skunk "Flower")

Since your setting are all Japanese, just hit the baby name charts and start browsing. Since your women are taller and more muscular than average, names that symbolize delicacy or smallness would be amusing

Example from my story -
Glycerin is named for a slippery substance that is hard to characterize or describe.
Kpau was named for her personality and presence (its a Cambodian/Khmer family name) "Kapow"

I'll often name assassins "Sashiko" (little stabs/cuts) or a storm/lightning mage "Arashiko" or "Raiko"
Old 2013-01-20, 19:19   Link #29
judasmartel
*Author

Thanks. I have finally decided to just go through with it and hope things will work out in the end.

Finally made the first chapter, here.
Old 2013-01-21, 01:51   Link #30
judasmartel
*Author

So I have two questions:

1. Is it okay to have a male "manager"?

2. How do HS sports teams "select their rookies"?
Old 2013-01-21, 01:59   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think a male manager is okay. I want to say I've seen an anime where a female was manager for a team and I'll assume the reverse isn't out of the question. googling wasn't very enlightening but data search is an art form

No idea on question2 - but likely there are either try out competitions or they take everyone and some just don't ever get to play outside of scrimmages.
Old 2013-01-21, 07:01   Link #32
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think a male manager is okay. I want to say I've seen an anime where a female was manager for a team and I'll assume the reverse isn't out of the question. googling wasn't very enlightening but data search is an art form
But wouldn't that make this male character look weak? Sure, I can give him backbone later in the story, but first impressions last, remember?

And by the way:

1. How do traps and reverse traps sound like? I have at least one character from the hero team who I can turn into a reverse trap if the plot requires it.
2. Anyone keen on a "Samurai vs Ninja" sort of rivalry? I have a "Samurai" character from the hero team (#9, who of course, is also a kendo practitioner), then the opposing team would have a "Ninja" character with them.
Old 2013-01-21, 13:37   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh heck, I dunno. Maybe he's a strong character that gets "blackmailed" into managing the team (or he's doing terrible in his studies and the smart one of the team coerces him to do it in exchange for tutoring). You just asked if it were possible to have a male manager

Personally, I'd avoid traps. Sports teams generally have rules about the right gender playing and a phys exam would blow the cover. If the trap is an actual transexual - it is highly unlikely they've had the surgery done as one is typically an adult before surgeons will do that. They'd be like Seiko in Love Complex, okay for social activities but it wouldn't fly in a sports situation. Seems immersion breaking.

2. If you just mean they behave with some of the attributes, like the Ninja is sneaky, suddenly appears when its embarrassing, seems to be in more than one place, etc. maybe. To me, that actually sounds more interesting as a rivalry between two team members on the same team. It depends on what you want to focus on, I guess.
Old 2013-01-21, 13:47   Link #34
judasmartel
*Author

You said male manager is possible, but it's going to be tricky. I'm starting to lean towards the "injured player" route that Dilla suggested this way now. But I still want to make him look smart (plus the glasses of course), or at least knowledgeable enough in the sport to actually help out when needed.

Hmm, since I have at least four characters from the hero team who can fill the role of Ninja... *he he he*

Oopsie, didn't look into that physical exam angle. Okay, but at least these characters can disguise as somebody else when not in games or in practice.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-01-21 at 13:57.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:54   Link #35
judasmartel
*Author

So I'm about to start writing the first game of the story. It's what I call a "formal streetball", but I want to use some of its elements in the later games.

Now, if I try to write too realistically, readers might get bored and would compare my stuff to something like Kuroko no Basket, which didn't have much love from me in particular because of its Prince of Tennis-level over the top moves (100% accurate halfcourt jump shots is the worst offender in my book, but some of Kuroko's passes get a pass from me because NBA players do those on a consistent basis).

But then, it occured to me that only four women in basketball history were able to pull off a slam dunk, something that is seen very often in men's basketball. This is one reason why some people find women's basketball boring (sexism aside).

If I wanted to put some KnB-level talent in my writing project to make things more intense however, I would consider creating a female player character who can dunk on a consistent basis, even though not as consistent as a male player. Science states that women experience 4x-8x higher tension in the knees than the men when jumping, so making the landing so often would wear the female players out much faster than just simply settling for jump shots and lay-ups, and injuries would be more likely.

So what is your take on this? How do I make my games interesting? Should I go for the over-the-top moves like KnB or should I go for the character development route like in RKB? Or should I do both?
Old 2013-01-26, 14:49   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What you might try is to actually watch a woman's basketball game and sketch out the actual events (or at least selected segments).

This strikes me as somewhat similar to my challenges with a rock concert story arc. Actually doing the whole concert would be boring, so I focus on before, after, perhaps the introduction. Some highlight moments, stage mishaps or goofiness.

Just narrating a game would indeed be boring, especially to casual readers but talking about how the game is affecting the characters would be more compelling.
Old 2013-01-26, 21:53   Link #37
judasmartel
*Author

I have only watched Top 10 lists simply because I don't have the time to watch a full game. Surprisingly, however, I find the women's game very similar to the men's game, except of course that the latter is a lot flashier (hence the abundance of slam dunks) while the former is much more fundamental in nature.
Old 2013-01-28, 23:42   Link #38
judasmartel
*Author

Okay, so I have written an outline building to the first game of the story, then a full dialogue version of the Training Montage before the game. Everything was fine until the part where the "trainer" teaches the heroes how to do defense (rebounding and shot-blocking). Somehow, the MC was able to learn how to post up her mark rather quickly, with guidance from the "trainer" of course.

I wanted to show the MC to be a natural, gifted with a body perfectly suited for the game and potential to become a great player if she works hard for it (kinda like Dennis Rodman, minus the crazy antics, or Dwight Howard, only with the potential), but is still a beginner in the game so she still needs to be trained in the basics.

But somehow, my last scene before the pick-up game came off as a Deus ex Machina or an Ass Pull.

Any suggestions?
Old 2013-02-03, 10:47   Link #39
judasmartel
*Author

While I was doing further research to confirm the sizes of my hero team, I suddenly realized that the hero team might be too small to be considered a good team, in-universe or in real life.

For reference, named characters are in bold italics:

Spoiler for Hero Team Roster v.2.0:

So, what do you think? Is my hero team too small or is it just fine?