AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-25, 01:23   Link #21
HasuMasu
*Artist

I don't know anything about technology, but being at the bottom of AS in terms of both internet connection and hardware, I'm not sure what kind of effect this would have on speed in general.

As it is, it takes a while for me to load pages and scroll down, well things like that.

But since I don't know the technology, maybe my doubts are unfounded.
Old 2013-08-25, 02:03   Link #22
Haiprbim
Banned

Oh, I do not think avatar sizes would effect the speed by much, if any at all.

As for the page to load, I think that wouldn't be the AnimeSuki server's issue, since the whole site runs more or less smoothly for me.
We could go into the Tech Support section or chat about this via the PM system, but just to ask a quick-question: In MBits/s, how high is your Internet Connection Speed?
Old 2013-08-25, 02:06   Link #23
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

There shouldn't be a huge difference for you. It's not really image dimensions that affect slower machines, but file size. The larger the file, the longer it takes to load. The more files that have to be loaded, the longer it takes to load. So if you have a bunch of files, and they're all loading at once, this can be a problem.

But most of this is resolved by caching (storing) an image or gif once it loads. Otherwise browsing the web would be a pain since you'd be constantly loading pages you've already been too.

So at first you might notice some slower loading if you have a really old machine or slow connection, but this would improve quickly since most people don't change their images much, and we're not all changing them at the same time.

Alternatively, if you don't want things like avatars or signatures loading, just click the boxes under "Visible Post Elements" in the Options section of your User CP.
Old 2013-08-25, 02:10   Link #24
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
But most of this is resolved by caching (storing) an image or gif once it loads. Otherwise browsing the web would be a pain since you'd be constantly loading pages you've already been too.
Hmm, I thought that the vBulletin Software already has the path that creates a cache file and stores all the uploades made to the site there, avatars and profile pictures including.
In any way, I think the size of an avatar file should only be an issue if everyone would start setting up some extreme-quality gifs, but for the usual png and img files, I do not think any kind of restrictions are necessary.
Old 2013-08-25, 02:27   Link #25
brocko

Like relentless mentioned earlier in the first page, since people have about 56% more space to play with, you might be getting more avi's that push the file limit which can indirectly introduce slowdowns that way. As for how much of a potential slowdown they'll be who knows. But if it ever gets out of hand, it's not like they can't just revert it anyway.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2013-08-25, 02:47   Link #26
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Like relentless mentioned earlier in the first page, since people have about 56% more space to play with, you might be getting more avi's that push the file limit which can indirectly introduce slowdowns that way. As for how much of a potential slowdown they'll be who knows. But if it ever gets out of hand, it's not like they can't just revert it anyway.
Just as a notice, on one other forums, the max avatar size is 150x200, as well as the file size being unlimited.
I can safely say that the site runs smoothly, so I really do not know why you would think that the avatars would bring such a draw-back at speed.
Old 2013-08-25, 02:55   Link #27
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Just as a notice, on one other forums, the max avatar size is 150x200, as well as the file size being unlimited.
I can safely say that the site runs smoothly, so I really do not know why you would think that the avatars would bring such a draw-back at speed.
Because we are trying to be conscientious of people with limited/slow bandwidth and/or limited processing power. Obviously this other site you're referring to has not chosen to make this a priority, but just because it "runs smoothly" for you doesn't mean it does for everyone.

Besides, there's no way we're going to allow people to allow upload files of "unlimited size" on the servers here. The potential for abuse and griefing is absurd, not to mention the server doesn't have "unlimited space" on it either.
Old 2013-08-25, 03:00   Link #28
Haiprbim
Banned

I never said that there is such a thing as unlimited space.
However, as there would already be dimensional size restrictions, I do not see why file size restrictions would be needed as well, unless the picture is a gif.

If the picture is static, it can only go up to a specific amount of how big it is, meaning that the limit would be best to either raise to allow those good-quality pictures, or have none at all.

All in all, I think there would be too much work for restricting gifs only, so scratch that idea.

I don't even know how the discussion fell on the AnimeSuki's overall space available, but it is only natural that if we would allow bigger dimensional pictures to be uploaded, we should increase the max size possible of the file uploaded as well.
Otherwise, the images would just look blurry.
Old 2013-08-25, 03:11   Link #29
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I don't even know how the discussion fell on the AnimeSuki's overall space available, but it is only natural that if we would allow bigger dimensional pictures to be uploaded, we should increase the max size possible of the file uploaded as well.
...Because all the avatars are hosted on AnimeSuki servers, so increasing the avatar sizes increases the amount of disk space required.

And the images wouldn't look blurry... but whatever...
Old 2013-08-25, 03:15   Link #30
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I never said that there is such a thing as unlimited space.
However, as there would already be dimensional size restrictions, I do not see why file size restrictions would be needed as well, unless the picture is a gif.

If the picture is static, it can only go up to a specific amount of how big it is, meaning that the limit would be best to either raise to allow those good-quality pictures, or have none at all.

All in all, I think there would be too much work for restricting gifs only, so scratch that idea.

There's a lot more to image quality than bits and dimensions. Take my advice and stop while you're ahead. You really don't know what you're talking about.
Old 2013-08-25, 03:27   Link #31
Haiprbim
Banned

Oh?
Well, I know the simple fact that if you increase the dimensions of an image and want to keep the same quality, the size of the file will increase. And that is all that matters.
I will not argue over something so useless, so yeah, I'm taking your advice on "stopping", although I never even started nor had any intention to.

"You really don't know what you're talking about." - Far from the truth, but yet again, nothing will come out from discussing anything with you if we are in this state of attacking.
Old 2013-08-25, 03:38   Link #32
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
I used to frequent a forum that had 120x120 avatars with about a 150 file size.

I don't go there anymore because it takes too long just to load one page, among other things.

Though I think more than the avatars it was probably because they were using vBulletin 4, but still.
Old 2013-08-25, 03:43   Link #33
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
I used to frequent a forum that had 120x120 avatars with about a 150 file size.

I don't go there anymore because it takes too long just to load one page, among other things.

Though I think more than the avatars it was probably because they were using vBulletin 4, but still.
Once again, I honestly do not think the avatar size is something that would bring the drastic change, but I am not the one calling the shots around here.
vBulletin 4 most likely has more features than vBulletin 3, and therefore requires a "stronger" host and faster servers.

Well, it doesn't really matter.
All in all, I think that the avatars are not the big issue here, more like a detail, as far as it goes for increasing from the current to the suggested size.
Old 2013-08-25, 03:49   Link #34
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Looks like this discussion has run its course. If there is an increase in the size and dimension of avatars, one of the mod could use this thread, or just create a new one to announce the change.

Thread closed!

P.S. I just watched Hentai Kamen (thanks to gg) and yes..... I am a fan!!!!!!111

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-08-25, 04:15   Link #35
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
If there is an increase in the size and dimension of avatars, one of the mod could use this thread, or just create a new one to announce the change.
Yeah, like that will ever happen for any suggestion in existence at AnimeSuki.

Quote:
P.S. I just watched Hentai Kamen (thanks to gg) and yes..... I am a fan!!!!!!111

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sweet. :P
Old 2013-08-25, 04:19   Link #36
HasuMasu
*Artist

You know, Custom User Titles and PM Storage Expansion were user-suggested.
Old 2013-08-25, 04:30   Link #37
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
You know, Custom User Titles and PM Storage Expansion were user-suggested.
Non-Custom User Titles and the Reputation System are a War Zone, it is quite sad it had to be suggested.
PM Storage Expansion... it is not high as it is now, I don't even want to imagine what it used to be before.

In any way, as with php BB Forums Software, vBulletin Forums Software already has an inbuilt option of changing the options such as the max PM storage, titles being custom or not, as well as the max size of the avatars.

It would appear that only when the situation get too critical things take action, but yeah, "what's wrong with that?", eh.
Old 2013-08-25, 04:53   Link #38
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

Thread closed!
Err.. I actually forgot to close the thread!

There.
Closed Thread

Tags
avatar, dimensions, height, max, width