AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Old 2004-01-19, 16:01   Link #61
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurumaru
Sure:

Yaoi - Love between men
Yuri - Love between women

Therefore "Low Key Yuri" roughly equals "suggested relationships of an intimate level between women"

So r u saying that it is just us pl watching thinking that there is Yuri and being stupid like making couples or is it like sailor moon neptune and uranus stuff.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 21:05   Link #62
babbito2k
annoying white bat

^_^ just finished watching the second episode, what a treat... I really enjoy the storytelling. Turning things around in the last scene was an impressive way to frame the episode. It heightened the earlier scenes with Sachiko and Yumi.

The show has a nice crisp style to it - the visual designs are very efficient, the scenery is elegant and the sound is uncluttered. There's a lot of space for the characters to be in.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 22:29   Link #63
lordwu

Finally got the time to sit through the first 2 episodes. I read the website and watched the preview and I thought I will like this show and I do after the first episode. The student council and the sister relationship maybe confusing at first without reading the novel or the brief introduction on the website, but the narration in episode 1 did a pretty good job in explaining the basics. The order of the scenes in the first episode was a bit messy and I thought it can be done better. I had to watch the episode again to re-assemble the pieces and to understand the order of the events. Love to watch more and see how Sachiko and Yumi act and feel towards each other and how they may change throughtout the story. I do feel Yumi is quite out of place among the student council members since she's the only one who would show her true feeling. Everyone else probably have their own agenda and can put up a mask masterfully to deal with other people. Let's see how that works out. I think that would be the most interesting thing to see in this show.
lordwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 00:31   Link #64
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
This is my kind of anime and for many reasons too.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 03:04   Link #65
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumae
You can also use the words shounen-ai (boy / boy romance (not sex)) and shoujo-ai (girl / girl romance (not sex)).

If anything I would classify this series as shoujo-ai.... NOT yuri, at least not from what I can see from the first episode.
Well, yes, if you're going to make that distinction, then you would be correct.

This is definitely a low-key romance show, I don't think there's going to be any sex. Hell, I would be surprised even at any vaguely implied sexual relations.
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 12:00   Link #66
Diedrupo

OMG I've been eagerly anticipating this series for like, forever. Must DL!
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 01:40   Link #67
絹ロープ

I enjoyed how in the first scene of the first episode, Yumi's expression showed that even though at the end Sachiko chose Yumi, Yumi still wasn't sure if she would accept Sachiko's rosary. Or was she just surprised yet again... Hmmm.

It is nice to see writers willing to create complex relationships that are not obvious and can develop in many ways. I'm looking forward to the next episodes.
絹ロープ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 23:03   Link #68
Key Board
Carbon

I just watched episode 3 "raw"

It's not yet subbed at this moment.

Spoiler:
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 13:50   Link #69
guess

The sub Ep 3 is out. can't wait!!!!!!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 17:55   Link #70
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Ah, the costumes... the moonlight... the roses... I just wish the dance scene in episode 3 was the tiniest bit longer...

I am noticing how good the voice acting is, and how easily the characters are expanding. The music isn't hammy or precious either.

So many shows lately seem to frantically sell themselves. This one is so much more inviting in the way it simply shares the story with the viewer.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 18:17   Link #71
drownindreams

Lots of drama in Episode 3!

Marimite is developing along Utena lines in terms of the subtle approach of the sexual aspects, in my opinion. Some situations between Yumi and Sei (ep.3) and Rei (ep.2) certainly imply strong affection at the least.

Case in point for Episode 3:
Spoiler:
Now, to me... that carried some sexual subtext, ne? She does the same thing later in the episode during the Cinderella practice.

I'm enjoying this show a lot. While I loved Utena, the characters' interpersonal relationships often took a back seat to the plot of the Revolution and the duels. In Marimite, it seems so far relationships and character development are the focus of the show. =)
drownindreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 18:40   Link #72
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board
I just watched episode 3 "raw"

It's not yet subbed at this moment.

Spoiler:
If Yumi likes Sachiko, wouldn’t she be heart-broken when she realized that Sachiko is in love with her cousin/fiancé? She doesn’t seem to be upset about it.

I can see the affection between Yumi and Sen (Rosa Gigantea). I think it’s one-sided from Sen to Yumi. I really don’t think that Rei has any feelings, except friendship, for Yumi or Sachiko, nor Yumi/Sachiko to Rei.

Isn’t that weird to be married to your cousin or just in love with them, in 21st century anyway?
Old 2004-01-25, 18:55   Link #73
saku~ya
la~li~lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
If Yumi likes Sachiko, wouldn’t she be heart-broken when she realized that Sachiko is in love with her cousin/fiancé? She doesn’t seem to be upset about it.
--
Isn’t that weird to be married to your cousin or just in love with them, in 21st century anyway?
She looked a bit upset to me when, -gah I forgot his name- he tried to kiss Sachiko. Yumi was on the verge of crying from my point of view. And then the garden house scene her eyes change when Sachiko mention her love for her cousin.
----

Anywhooo, that was another excellent episode. Great character development for all of the characters. Rosa Gigantea is starting to scare me in the funny way, pooor Yumi ^^; I want the next episode already. I also want a wallpaper of marimite :P
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 19:42   Link #74
Key Board
Carbon

Yumi was genuinely horrified when Sachiko spilled the beans regarding Kashiwagi, and she looked cute while doing that I might add.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-25, 23:06   Link #75
drownindreams

I noticed that interesting bit from the ep.4 preview also. Considering how early in the series Sei's "questionable" character is developing, I imagine we'll see more implied shoujo-ai/yuri -type material. Plus, a lot of the Marimite fansites contain fanarts of Sei and Yumi together in similar fashion.

Does anyone know if the manga is going to be picked up by a trans/scanlation group? (Or even better... US licensed) As we all know, the manga is usually richer in story and chara development than the anime...
Old 2004-01-25, 23:23   Link #76
guess

Come to think about it, Yumi does seem to be very “fond” of Sachiko. You all convinced me.
On the other hand, Sachiko’s feelings toward Yumi is not so clear at this point. I surely would like to know how she feels about Yumi. But again, I don’t think even Sachiko herself realizes that just yet. She seems to treat Yumi only as a “soeur.” But sometimes she also seems to think of her more than just a soeur. For example, the jealousy she expresses when she walks into the room while Sen (Rosa Gigantea) was…hugging (?) Yumi. I mean, even Sen notices that (“That Sachiko is always holding on to you.”). And of course, Sachiko looks for Yumi in that gingko trees place behind the school buildings even though she hates all those things. Like Shimako says, she was surprised that Sachiko would go there to find Yumi. Really complicated.

Is Rosa Gigantea hitting on Yumi just for fun or is there something more? Among all these characters, I like Rosa Gigantea best so far. She is funny, smart (naughty?), good looking (all of them are pretty anyway) and by far, the only one in that Yamayurikai (the student council) who is not always on her best behavior.
Old 2004-01-26, 00:42   Link #77
Key Board
Carbon

It's a show about two (or more?) girls exploring their relationship.

It is meant to be complex, not to mention that Yumi and Sachiko's are merely starting.

Rosa Gigantea's name is SEI. If you can read the kanji it actually means "saint" or "holy"
Old 2004-01-26, 03:14   Link #78
Diedrupo

Sei has an awesome seiyuu as well. When she was teasing Yumi about the sounds she makes in ep 2, the delivery of that line just sounded so cute and sexy.

Must have more Sei x Yumi!
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 03:53   Link #79
drownindreams

Oh baby~ XD XD

Last edited by drownindreams; 2006-11-15 at 22:06.
Old 2004-01-26, 04:16   Link #80
Supervixen
Recluse

You may have heard Sei's seiyuu before, playing the role of Ran in SuperGALS! Kotobuki Ran TV. I was certainly delighted to find her in Marimite. Cute and sexy does fit the bill. Along with naughty, crafty and oh so cheeky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo
Sei has an awesome seiyuu as well. When she was teasing Yumi about the sounds she makes in ep 2, the delivery of that line just sounded so cute and sexy.

Must have more Sei x Yumi!
Supervixen is offline   Reply With Quote