AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-04, 02:13   Link #801
_Ninja_

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
The rivalry between Diana and Akko certainly changed this episode, especially how Diana is looking and interacting with Akko now. Her comments to/about Akko have become much more offensive than in the early episodes. I feel that something dark is creeping into Diana's heart.
Diana knows now how important shiny rod is and that it's the real deal. Plus that her frustration at Akko's immature goofing about has been building up. So she must feel by now that Akko is wasting away something important.
_Ninja_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 02:19   Link #802
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ninja_ View Post
So she must feel by now that Akko is wasting away something important.
That would mean she's deluding herself, considering all her assumptions about Akko were proved wrong this episode.

I would like to believe she will start to change for the better now, not the other way around. But we'll see.
Old 2017-04-04, 02:29   Link #803
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
There's something about the headmistress that intrigues me: maybe she knows that Akko has greater potential than what appears on the surface.
Well, she DOES know the little story of how she casually raised her father from the dead and helped both of them get peace of mind after such a long time . I can imagine she'd have a bit of fondness for her, plus she seems like she shares a bit Akko's less strict, more fun-loving views on magic.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 02:39   Link #804
_Ninja_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That would mean she's deluding herself, considering all her assumptions about Akko were proved wrong this episode.

I would like to believe she will start to change for the better now, not the other way around. But we'll see.
I wouldn't say that necessarily. It's not like even the viewers weren't often frustrated by how Akko had been running on nothing but passion before she learned. So it's not like she had no cause at all.

But then Diana is cold. Had she been nicer she could have resolved her issues with Akko and learned earlier that she was really trying hard and improving.
Old 2017-04-04, 03:11   Link #805
Kazu-kun

Quote:
It's not like even the viewers weren't often frustrated by how Akko had been running on nothing but passion before she learned. So it's not like she had no cause at all.
The viewer is irrelevant. What matters is what the characters who actually know Akko think, and Lotte and Sucy (the ones who know her best) never though Akko would give up or run away.

Diana just assumed the worst without knowing anything about Akko. And I personally think it was nice that it was Lotte of all people who told her she was full of shit.
Old 2017-04-04, 08:59   Link #806
Tenzen12

She knew, Akko was screwing around from episode one. She just didn't have opportunity notice she doesn't do it anymore yet.

Well Akko wasting time on petty pranks instead focusing on own job just episode ago, probably didn't left that great impression either.
Old 2017-04-04, 09:11   Link #807
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
She knew, Akko was screwing around from episode one.
It has been months since episode 1 in-universe. If Diana can't keep her impressions updated, she probably shouldn't open her mouth at all.

Though I wouldn't mind if getting told by Lotte becomes a running gag.
Old 2017-04-04, 09:26   Link #808
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
oh. my. god.

I just went back and was watching episode 1 again after watching 13 and I noticed something.

Spoiler for Spoilered for actual Spoilers:
That is an amazing observation. My hat off to you sir. Now I'm really intrigued. That animation sort of reminded me of the twilight princess twilight realm stuff whenever those enemies appeared from the sky. I'm really excited about what's going to happen next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Hmm, good catch. It seems quite possible then that she was being targeted, which would explain her disguise. I hope she hasn't mysteriously vanished in the next episode.
Yeah, this seems very plausible now. Though it seems more like someone was eavesdropping on her/on the event. What's a bit more terrifying is that this person did this under the eyes of three of the most powerful magicians as well as the entire academy and the faculty + the headmisstress. That means whoever did it is quite OP at least in stealth and surveillance. Based on the reactions of those three celebrity judges, I'm not really sure that any of them are the culprit.

Quote:
The rivalry between Diana and Akko certainly changed this episode, especially how Diana is looking and interacting with Akko now. Her comments to/about Akko have become much more offensive than in the early episodes. I feel that something dark is creeping into Diana's heart.

This episode was really great to watch. Akko is slowly, very slowly, but surely getting there. There's something about the headmistress that intrigues me: maybe she knows that Akko has greater potential than what appears on the surface.
That's an interesting observation. I feel like Diana was definitely jealous of Akko, and because she's at odds with her, she assumes the worst about her. That's actually reasonable. I think it's a bit premature to say that something dark is creeping into her heart. On the headmistress side, I definitely agree. I really liked her ever since that episode with her father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Well, she DOES know the little story of how she casually raised her father from the dead and helped both of them get peace of mind after such a long time . I can imagine she'd have a bit of fondness for her, plus she seems like she shares a bit Akko's less strict, more fun-loving views on magic.
Actually, I found her to be interesting when she was actually all strange and quirky at the beginning of the episode starring her father, even before any of that stuff with Akko bringing her father back happened. She had suddenly been acting quite strange. It was almost a bit disconcerting. I'm really curious about the significance of that behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It has been months since episode 1 in-universe. If Diana can't keep her impressions updated, she probably shouldn't open her mouth at all.

Though I wouldn't mind if getting told by Lotte becomes a running gag.
We just saw like an episode ago that Diana has absolutely no time to do anything. She's so busy helping everybody out and so she has had very little time to herself. And even given that, she still did well in the show so she must have practiced hard. I think it's a bit unfair to rag on Diana for not realizing that Akko has changed. This is especially the case because Diana is inherently biased against Akko since Akko considers them to be rivals Anyway, I don't understand the hate for Diana. She can't admit her true feelings, and she's a bit petty and weak. Lots of people are like that. And she also happens to be a prodigy that works really hard and has lofty goals. Such a combination really doesn't merit her all the criticism that she has been getting. Like, I could understand that she's flawed, but that's about it.

Anyway, this episode was wonderful. 10/10. I really liked how they handled everything. It really was rather superb. Much better than OVA 2. I can't wait for the next episode as well!

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 10:09   Link #809
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
We just saw like an episode ago that Diana has absolutely no time to do anything.
That's not a excuse. If she doesn't have the time to get to know people, she shouldn't talk about them either.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's a matter of lacking time. I think she isolates herself due to personal issues. All this will definitely be part of her character development.

And I'm not hating on Diana. I'm just glad her character arc is finally moving somewhere. It should have started after episode 2, when she tried to fix a tree she had no business trying to fix, and Akko had to clean up her mess. Diana should have started to re-evaluate herself back then, and realize she's not as perfect as she thinks she is and can't do everything alone. But she brushed off the issue and didn't change at all. Now she can't avoid this anymore. Now it's time for actual character development.
Old 2017-04-04, 15:37   Link #810
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Now this was the kind of episode that I've been hoping for! Akko putting on a show and her peers enjoying it. Hopefully, her classmates won't look down on her so much anymore after such an amazing performance.

Speaking of performances, I thought of a good comparison between Dianna's team's and Akko's team's time in the spotlight. Dianna was like a player piano. It will play back the music pitch-perfect, hitting every note precisely at the right time, one note right after another (it can even play more than one note at the same time, wow). Akko, on the other hand, is like more like Van Cliburn, whose music could fill the audience with overwhelming joy, and even bring grown men to tears. The difference being, of course, that a player piano has no heart, no soul, it does not feel happy or sad, it does not feel, nor can it impart, emotions. It is technically proficient, but sounds exactly like what it is: a player piano performing from a predetermined scroll. Akko, like Van Cliburn, gave an incomparable performance filled with her love and passion for magic. Granted, it was not technically as "awesome" as Dianna's, but there doesn't seem to be any doubt which performance the audience enjoyed more.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 15:52   Link #811
ScrewySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Now this was the kind of episode that I've been hoping for! Akko putting on a show and her peers enjoying it. Hopefully, her classmates won't look down on her so much anymore after such an amazing performance.

Speaking of performances, I thought of a good comparison between Dianna's team's and Akko's team's time in the spotlight. Dianna was like a player piano. It will play back the music pitch-perfect, hitting every note precisely at the right time, one note right after another (it can even play more than one note at the same time, wow). Akko, on the other hand, is like more like Van Cliburn, whose music could fill the audience with overwhelming joy, and even bring grown men to tears. The difference being, of course, that a player piano has no heart, no soul, it does not feel happy or sad, it does not feel, nor can it impart, emotions. It is technically proficient, but sounds exactly like what it is: a player piano performing from a predetermined scroll. Akko, like Van Cliburn, gave an incomparable performance filled with her love and passion for magic. Granted, it was not technically as "awesome" as Dianna's, but there doesn't seem to be any doubt which performance the audience enjoyed more.
You are on teh right track, IMHO.
Notice the above post that shows she copied Chariot. Its all technique, but soulless, sterile. A copy. Akko took inspiration from chariot, but did her own thing and gave the perfect, slightly wacky performance.

but yes, Diana and Akko have a very solid Technician vs Performer vibe going.
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 16:55   Link #812
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:

I love that analogy. That works really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
You are on teh right track, IMHO.
Notice the above post that shows she copied Chariot. Its all technique, but soulless, sterile. A copy. Akko took inspiration from chariot, but did her own thing and gave the perfect, slightly wacky performance.

but yes, Diana and Akko have a very solid Technician vs Performer vibe going.
That seems like a perfect description for what this is. Still, I somehow feel a premonition that this will go beyond that dynamic before the very end.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 17:10   Link #813
ScrewySquirrel

Quote:

That seems like a perfect description for what this is. Still, I somehow feel a premonition that this will go beyond that dynamic before the very end.
it feeds on LWA as an analogy to Anime as a whole.

the Nine Olde Witches - Disney's Nine Old Men who made animation into outright art. Way back when, LWA was just the 26 minute short, Yoh Yoshinari said the initial idea was of of a new young animator who was full of creativity, but very little skill, but who thinks he can do Keyframes. (Akko to a T if you translate it back to magical skill)
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 18:49   Link #814
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
I must say that I found it very fitting, myself. But to be fair, Diana has shown a few emotions throughout the series: disgust, contempt and scorn. Of course, all aimed at Akko.

"What is it... that has filled me with this emotion?" Yes, Diana, you're feeling a new emotion for the very first time in your life: jealousy. Somehow, incredible as it may seem, someone has gotten more acclaim for performing magic than you yourself received.

Quote:
What, like the Cruel Step-mother and Evil Step-sisters all too eager to extinguish any hope of happiness that the sweet, young step-daughter might hold dear to her heart? Oops! Wrong story... How could I possibly have been thinking that???

I can imagine a scenario where Diana gets duped by some nefarious person into stealing Shiny Rod from Akko, believing that said person will use it to restore magic to it's former glory, whereas said person's real intent is to use Shiny Rod for personal gain and power. Not too hard to imagine if that person was a witch whom Diana admires, and who flatters Diana with glorious praise, making her so dizzy with pride that she blindly accepts the challenge.

It's also possible that, after a bit of trial and error, Diana and Akko actually end up fighting side-by-side to defeat the evil doers, whoever they may be.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 21:10   Link #815
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
"What is it... that has filled me with this emotion?" Yes, Diana, you're feeling a new emotion for the very first time in your life: jealousy. Somehow, incredible as it may seem, someone has gotten more acclaim for performing magic than you yourself received.
I thought it more likely to be a positive emotion, admiration for Akko's spontaneity and joy perhaps. Perhaps Akko's performance stirred a few memories of Diana's own joy at watching Chariot when she was a child.

I also think that Diana's feelings are distorted by Hannah and Barbara. I don't think either of them is particularly talented, as shown by their departure from the stage. They just bask in the reflected glory of Diana and rag on Akko out of jealousy. The weak picking on the (apparently) weaker, as it were.

Am I the only one who thought Vajarois's Vestige looked a lot like a certain female body part? This is still Trigger, after all.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 21:54   Link #816
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought it more likely to be a positive emotion, admiration for Akko's spontaneity and joy perhaps. Perhaps Akko's performance stirred a few memories of Diana's own joy at watching Chariot when she was a child.

I also think that Diana's feelings are distorted by Hannah and Barbara. I don't think either of them is particularly talented, as shown by their departure from the stage. They just bask in the reflected glory of Diana and rag on Akko out of jealousy. The weak picking on the (apparently) weaker, as it were.

Am I the only one who thought Vajarois's Vestige looked a lot like a certain female body part? This is still Trigger, after all.
I thought that might be it, but her expression wasn't one of positivity. Even slight confusion about a positive emotion I'd expect to look 'brighter' than that. I tend to think it was probably a less positive emotion. Which is not a bad thing. Diana has always been exceptional and never been challenged in any real sense. It would not be unreasonable to be slightly envious or conflicted.

Presuming she is a Chariot fan (which seems fair). It might hurt to lose in that sense. Remembering the card that Akko had with the unicorn, I'm sure Diana in some ways wanted to have a Chariot-like moment on that stage. And instead she/we see Akko having the Shiny Rod and using it, and we see her really stealing the show with that performance that even caught Diana's attention.

I don't think it's necessarily anything dark, but just a human thing. Someone that Diana may consider irresponsible and not worthy of Chariot's mantle is standing out and going for it.

Now that may all be wrong, but it's where I'm seeing things at this point. And could be a good thing in allowing Diana some character growth in the second half.
Old 2017-04-05, 03:03   Link #817
_Ninja_

I think what Diana is feeling is a nostalgic feeling that reminds her of who she was as a kid. She was a Chariot fan herself and she used to think magic was fun.

People talk about Diana's pride and jealousy. But I don't think she really cares that much. I think she cares about magic, the fate of magic, and that magic should be done "properly" and be treated with reverence. I don't think she has the big personal ego some people imply she does.
Old 2017-04-05, 06:43   Link #818
kari-no-sugata II

I'm sure we'll find out more about Diana's background history at some point. Right now, it wouldn't surprise me if her reasons for "restoring" magic are personal - maybe she got fed up with being teased for being a witch, for example, and so decided to improve the status of magic and witches.

This is not to say that Akko doesn't have anything to learn in general or from Diana in particular. I'd probably prefer an ending where Akko and Diana work together to save magic.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-05, 08:44   Link #819
_Ninja_

Some of you are laying it really thick with the Diana hate. There is no reason to go to extremes and claim her performance had no soul or that she can't serve as an inspiration -- that is demonstrably untrue in the last two episodes.

Exhibit A:

Diana's issues are less about how others see her and more about herself. It's not others that she can't inspire, it's herself.

Akko provided a better show for the audience. She also accomplished something good while doing it, something that perhaps a true witch is supposed to strive for. And her heart was in it all the while -- I would argue this is what struck Diana herself more than anything.

But like I said there is no reason to go to extremes. Diana's magic was beautiful too, that should be plain to see. You can call it a "machine like" performance however when you apply that to an actual person what that really means is the height of achievement made through hard work and dedication. Those things are inspiring in their own right.
Old 2017-04-05, 08:59   Link #820
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Some of you are laying it really thick with the Diana hate.
Stop this, please. Talking about a character's flaws and issues isn't hating. No one's bashing Diana in this thread.

Also, Diana's summoning was indeed beautiful, but to me it's obvious it has no soul. It's just my opinion, it's not hating.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2017-04-05 at 11:57.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic school, slice of life