AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-08-27, 18:09   Link #19141
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Guys, if you want me to actually do anything, PM me.

I've been spending the past several days away from this thread mainly because of some Seitenkan-related soul-searching and contemplation. Seeing a "hey, someone needs to update that FAQ" while trying to figure out where I stopped for backlog is not encouraging.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 18:39   Link #19142
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
You are right, sorry.

Also, nice additions to the FAQ.

I will look for Danchou's final post about the height discssion and send to you.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 19:04   Link #19143
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

I just checked out the FAQ right now, and it seems to be quite informative. It was also my first time reading it.

Also, I seem to have completely forgotten about you at some point in time. No offense implied of course.

EDIT: By the way, who here has actually used the IRC for discussion?
Old 2009-08-27, 19:29   Link #19144
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
We can argue anything forever. Yet, we have reached many consensus the last past discussions. Also, is not like I am not only one saying it. Now I am curious, why you don't want to discuss it?
Note that in the cited post, I said "My take on the matter, subject to change when consensus is reached". I meant exactly that.

I'm surprised nobody called me out on "Asahina-senpai", because that one was the only deliberate one I suggested. It was meant to be a take on the whole romantic comedy aspect of "senpaaaaii~" that would have been notable in any other series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Infinities just do not work the way Itsuko is proposing.

You can divide infinity and get multiple infinities. For example: There is an infinite amount of numbers. Divide it into even and odd numbers. There is an infinite amount of even numbers. There is an infinite amount of odd numbers. Half of infinity is still infinity. A tenth of infinity is still infinity. One-trillionth of infinity is still infinity. Some infinities include more or less than other infinities, but they are all infinite. That's what infinity is.
The problem is that I don't know who recognizes the term "aleph".

I can supply technobabble, but they're all likely to be so long and meandering that the reader is probably going to get bored after the first couple of paragraphs, much less Kyon(ko).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariNiwa View Post
EDIT: By the way, who here has actually used the IRC for discussion?
Used to, way back in the very early days. Now it seems to be mostly silent except for random filesharing (of doujinshi, not always or often Seitenkan-related) offers by a couple of the channel ops.
Old 2009-08-27, 19:33   Link #19145
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Just out of curiosity, would it be at all possible for said potential technobabble to be edited?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 19:39   Link #19146
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Note that in the cited post, I said "My take on the matter, subject to change when consensus is reached". I meant exactly that.

I'm surprised nobody called me out on "Asahina-senpai", because that one was the only deliberate one I suggested. It was meant to be a take on the whole romantic comedy aspect of "senpaaaaii~" that would have been notable in any other series.
Exept here was no real discussion as far as I know (I've searched). Some one, at page 29 said it was a good idea and that was it. By that time, the tread was moving at, what, 20 pages by day? Is really hard to people get everything. Also, it was not only me, other here also find this change strange. Anyway, I really thought it was just a random change that people was trying to rationalize to make it fit. Kaisos explained it wasn't.

I also find the 'Asahina-sempai' strange. But, well, I thought there is no much difference between 'san' and 'sempai' here. So it doesn't bothered me.
Old 2009-08-27, 19:52   Link #19147
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
Just out of curiosity, would it be at all possible for said potential technobabble to be edited?
Yeah, sure.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 20:01   Link #19148
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

I just realized something. Even if the power Haruhi gave Haruki was finite (albeit still an ungodly amount), while she herself possessed infinite power, wouldn't the end result sound something like the Rin vs. Sakura scene in HF?

Of course, that's assuming Haruki's power is finite as opposed to infinite. Just a quick thought.
Old 2009-08-27, 20:02   Link #19149
yggdrasil325
Hikikomori in a box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariNiwa View Post
What it comes down to however, is whether or not the readers will understand. I for one, hopefully believe they are capable. Otherwise our arguments and theories become moot.
I seriously doubt all of the readers of the novels understand all of Itsuki's theories, though.

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN.
yggdrasil325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 20:05   Link #19150
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

I may have while reading them, but they're usually so long that I forget them...

Old 2009-08-27, 20:08   Link #19151
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Exept here was no real discussion as far as I know (I've searched). Some one, at page 29 said it was a good idea and that was it.
My point was that I'm just some random guy, yanno? It's not like my word is gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yggdrasil325 View Post
I seriously doubt all of the readers of the novels understand all of Itsuki's theories, though.
True, but Itsuki has been amazingly coherent about them.

I've been reading science fiction of varying hardness for a long time, so I'm familiar with a lot of the theories in the MoHS novels, but I'm always impressed by how understandable these theories are made, compared to other books. They're very simplified, and presented as entertainment more than education, but complex ideas are still broken down into easy chunks.

The best I can do is make some sort of lame joke about how some infinities are small than other infinities. I'm afraid I'll have to use words like "quantum".

And then there's the whole time-travel stuff, which involves relativity, time dilation (for example, time does not exist for a photon), Zeno's paradoxes, the chronology protection conjencture...
Old 2009-08-27, 20:38   Link #19152
Heatth

Quote:
My point was that I'm just some random guy, yanno? It's not like my word is gospel.
Oh, I see. Well, your post was linked in the first post, so is the closest thing we have. As is the FAQ.

Quote:
True, but Itsuki has been amazingly coherent about them.

I've been reading science fiction of varying hardness for a long time, so I'm familiar with a lot of the theories in the MoHS novels, but I'm always impressed by how understandable these theories are made, compared to other books. They're very simplified, and presented as entertainment more than education, but complex ideas are still broken down into easy chunks.

The best I can do is make some sort of lame joke about how some infinities are small than other infinities. I'm afraid I'll have to use words like "quantum".

And then there's the whole time-travel stuff, which involves relativity, time dilation (for example, time does not exist for a photon), Zeno's paradoxes, the chronology protection conjencture...
You have a point. But this is more about the writing ability right? I mean, it is more about the writer be able to sumarize the theorys in a comprehensible way then about the theory be simple right?
Old 2009-08-27, 20:42   Link #19153
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

Quote:

You have a point. But this is more about the writing ability right? I mean, it is more about the writer be able to sumarize the theorys in a comprehensible way then about the theory be simple right?
This statement is correct.
Old 2009-08-27, 21:03   Link #19154
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

And Tanigawa does an excellent job. Comprehensible.

Old 2009-08-27, 22:34   Link #19155
Binjovi
Artist

Send a message via AIM to Binjovi
Sorry to derail you guys, but I have another update:

Spoiler for large image:
Still just doodles, but aside from Taniguchi, I think I have all the original cast sketched up.
Binjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 22:43   Link #19156
Heatth

Nice job.

The CCP and Itsuki are very good. The face of the other 3 are kinda weird, though. Specially Mikuru. Her face is kinda fat. too short, maybe.
Old 2009-08-27, 22:54   Link #19157
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Perhaps it's the lack of shading, but Itsuki's face seems a little wider than usual.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 23:44   Link #19158
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binjovi View Post

Spoiler for large image:
Still just doodles, but aside from Taniguchi, I think I have all the original cast sketched up.
Good to see you're still alive.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 23:47   Link #19159
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Better to see our artist alive than technobabble.

I mean, I do plenty of that for work already. I don't need another dosage here.
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 00:09   Link #19160
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binjovi View Post

Spoiler for large image:
I so wanted to give you points for this ... o_o Awesome work. Please keep it up!
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan