AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-17, 06:06   Link #3481
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

You know, now that I've brought it up, how would you illustrate the division by fractions to a 10-year-old?

I just realised that, even today, I can't think of an easy way to show what's going on behind the arithmetic.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 06:25   Link #3482
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You know, now that I've brought it up, how would you illustrate the division by fractions to a 10-year-old?

I just realised that, even today, I can't think of an easy way to show what's going on behind the arithmetic.
Start with small fraction, like :

Show him what happens when 1/4 is divided by 1/2. The general arithmetic formula is

[1/4] / [1/2] = [1/4] x [2/1] = 2/4 = 1/2

Use the analogy of 2 similar pies being cut into 4 parts and 2 parts respectively, and how many half-sized parts, can fit into a quarter sized pie?

Answer : A half-size of the half size.

Always keep in mind that the concept behind division is :

X divided by Y = How many parts of of Y can fit into X?

I remember being the one explaining it to my Primary school teacher and had my parents being called up for disrupting the class. Well, I read it from a book about shortcuts to complex arithmetic, with tricks like how to multiply 3 digit numbers by 3 digit numbers, back when I was very young, about 5 or 6.

The books that you read when you in your toddler years tend to stick in your memory for a bloody long time, because it is at the very bottom of your memory bank. It is pretty amazing that after 16 years, I still can remember the technique for multiplying 3 digit numbers by 3 digit numbers, and the first 41 digits of pi, but I can't remember how to do college-maths level trigonometry.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 13:32   Link #3483
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There USED to be a club in most schools in the US called "Number Sense" where they ran teams to compete against other schools. They'd learn a slew of math tricks to rapidly solve equations and engage in contests. My wife was a member when we were in high school.

That was before the Great Dumbing Down of Society though.....
Old 2010-02-17, 17:09   Link #3484
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There USED to be a club in most schools in the US called "Number Sense" where they ran teams to compete against other schools. They'd learn a slew of math tricks to rapidly solve equations and engage in contests. My wife was a member when we were in high school.

That was before the Great Dumbing Down of Society though.....
Over here it is : "It doesn't matter how it works. It is the correct method we are teaching you know, so just learn and don't ask any questions. You have to finish the syllabus by then end of this semester before the exams."

We'd be drilled in the same old question types over and over again until it becomes automatic response. But most of us still don't understand how the underlying concepts actually worked, other than the kids who played around with the equations at home during their free time.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 19:35   Link #3485
Vinak
Procrastinator

I don't really want to start a new thread in the tech support section of the website with my question. So I am asking here. If nobody knows the answer than it's no big deal.

What is the best method or settings to compress files using 7z or winrar?

I am compressing and backing up files for a reformat I will be doing later today or tomorrow to replace my windows 7 RC1 operating system with a retail version of windows 7.

it's about 200gb worth of material. pictures, video, music, games etc.

i am only seeing a 95% compression ratio at the moment and I am hoping to get that a little lower.
Old 2010-02-18, 22:36   Link #3486
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
I don't really want to start a new thread in the tech support section of the website with my question. So I am asking here. If nobody knows the answer than it's no big deal.

What is the best method or settings to compress files using 7z or winrar?

I am compressing and backing up files for a reformat I will be doing later today or tomorrow to replace my windows 7 RC1 operating system with a retail version of windows 7.

i am only seeing a 95% compression ratio at the moment and I am hoping to get that a little lower.
The 7z and RAR compression schemes are pretty effective, actually.

The issue here is that all your pictures, video, music, and games are, for the most part, already highly compressed. Much of the storage savings you get at that point is simply data contained in fewer total files and therefore potentially a few bytes are saved per file due to filesystem inefficiency.

So, the short answer is that, unfortunately, you aren't really going to get it appreciably smaller than you have now. And it's going to take a loooong time to squeeze any significant savings out. In the time you'd wait on compressing/decompressing the data, you could have earned enough working a part-time job to buy a spare hard drive.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 06:20   Link #3487
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
Do not compress stuff that's already compressed. Videos in particular, images (jpegs etc), music (flac, mp3 etc) -- not worth it. Things like PDF you save a little bit here and there but pretty much not so cool either. What's worth compressing: text and anything to do with text will give you incredible savings, game files sometimes (it depends but its usually worth a try). If you have things like .ISOs etc I suggest you make sure the image is not tacking up more space then its actually storing (or using a alternative format otherwise).

The archiving feature I use the most is store, just because archives are so much easier to move around then having 232 files copied (eww!).
Old 2010-02-20, 08:33   Link #3488
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

why is Rob Schneider always there in all of Adam Sandler's movies? and vise versa
why is Adam Sandler always there in all of Rob Schneider's movies?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 04:40   Link #3489
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
why is Rob Schneider always there in all of Adam Sandler's movies? and vise versa
why is Adam Sandler always there in all of Rob Schneider's movies?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_rob...dler%27s_films
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 14:51   Link #3490
Vinak
Procrastinator

thanks for the help concerning compression. It makes sense now. i knew pictures and videos were already compressed but it never occurred to me while trying to back up my files.

I ultimately decided to delete all but roughly 40 gigs of my data and stick it onto my Ipod...only thing i got that i can use as an external hard drive lol.

it would have taken me 9-12 hours to finish the compression of 200gigs of data. then probably a few days to place all the data onto...50 dvds... It took an hour just to transfer 40 gigs of information from my hard drives to my Ipod.
Old 2010-02-22, 04:01   Link #3491
monster

What happened to the option of finding threads started by a member when clicking on the name?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 04:17   Link #3492
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
What happened to the option of finding threads started by a member when clicking on the name?
Don't know but you can still see it when you check their profile >> statistics
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 04:29   Link #3493
monster

Ah, thank you very much
Old 2010-02-22, 06:57   Link #3494
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
This was never a option in the drop down menu.

Are you sure you are not mixing up the following two options?

Find all posts by ...
Find all threads started by ...

Those two are available from the user's profile.

The option "Find More Posts by ..." is the one available in the drop-down menu (when you click on the poster's user name within a post).

Or are you saying that you no longer can see this option in the drop-down menu?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 10:25   Link #3495
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
The 7z and RAR compression schemes are pretty effective, actually.

The issue here is that all your pictures, video, music, and games are, for the most part, already highly compressed. Much of the storage savings you get at that point is simply data contained in fewer total files and therefore potentially a few bytes are saved per file due to filesystem inefficiency.

So, the short answer is that, unfortunately, you aren't really going to get it appreciably smaller than you have now. And it's going to take a loooong time to squeeze any significant savings out. In the time you'd wait on compressing/decompressing the data, you could have earned enough working a part-time job to buy a spare hard drive.
I think it should be all about being rich, famous and simply buying yourself enough hard drive space and not to worry about those things. But who knows I am not that damn good to know the difference
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 12:07   Link #3496
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
This was never a option in the drop down menu.

Are you sure you are not mixing up the following two options?

Find all posts by ...
Find all threads started by ...

Those two are available from the user's profile.

The option "Find More Posts by ..." is the one available in the drop-down menu (when you click on the poster's user name within a post).

Or are you saying that you no longer can see this option in the drop-down menu?
Well, I guess my memory is not as good as it used to be. At any case, yeah, I was just looking for the Find all threads started by ... option.
Old 2010-02-25, 05:08   Link #3497
Woopzilla
Desensitized

What is (if there is one) the term for when people accidentally swap words around in a sentence? Or when they swap the starting letters of a word?

Eg. "I fan pretty rast." (I ran pretty fast.)

or

"One drop of world could cover the water." (Awesome quote from non other than Kent Hovind, who wanted to say the still horribly wrong "One drop of water could cover the world... if you spread it real thin.")

I was just wondering since I was reading about Lord Rugdumph (an Orc who uses malapropisms in Oblivion) on the uesp wiki site.

Last edited by Woopzilla; 2010-02-25 at 05:42.
Woopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 05:21   Link #3498
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
What is (if there is one) the term for when people accidentally swap words around in a sentence? Or when they swap the starting letters of a word?

Eg. "I fan pretty rast." (I ran pretty fast.)

or

"One drop of world could cover the water." (Awesome quote from non other than Kent Hovind, who wanted to say the still horribly wrong "One drop of water could cover the world... if you spread it real thin.")

I was just wondering since I was reading about Lord Rugdumph (an Orc who uses malpopisms in Oblivion) on the uesp wiki site.
If you're referring to how people perceive words/letters, this is a manifestation of dyslexia.

I'm not unfamiliar with the phenomenon. I tend to get a little lysdexic when I'm tired.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 05:47   Link #3499
Woopzilla
Desensitized

I was thinking more of a 'slip of tongue' kind of thing... not really a condition or anything. But I guess it does happen more often when you're tired. :P
Old 2010-02-25, 06:04   Link #3500
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
I was thinking more of a 'slip of tongue' kind of thing... not really a condition or anything. But I guess it does happen more often when you're tired. :P
Do you mean spoonerisms?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious