AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-16, 18:58   Link #21
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Kids study too much these days, also it seems most take courses in computer technology.

I’m telling you now kids there are too many computer genius’s already out there!

Do a course in plumbing or joinery you can charge whatever the hell you like!

The world needs more grafters and less geeks, believe me.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Last edited by Shay; 2004-10-16 at 20:09.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 19:46   Link #22
neEd'Le
~абнормален индивид

Send a message via ICQ to neEd'Le
Quote:
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. Cuz opportunity comes once in a lifetime"- Eminem
do you really believe what a nigga-wanna-be rap boy said?get real,it doesent matter if you fall,it doesent matter from what hight have you fallen,what matters is if you'll get up on your feet again....

and about the suicides stuff in japan...truly,i dont know what to think,eastern culture and society are so far away from me,that i just cant imagine what its like living there....what i know is that life has to be handled somehow..."if life gives you a lemon-make yourself a lemonade"

Quote:
And what do I get after I retire?
i dont know about you,but i know what im going to get-drugs no,seriously-i plan to taste every possible drug in this f***ing world when i retire-i'll be old,around the 60's,and i wont have much time to live left-i'll probably die aged 70,so why not to experience the forbidden fruit?
neEd'Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 20:49   Link #23
Michelle Alchemy

I've seen what it's like in 3rd world countries, losing a job is no diffrent then

losing your life. It is so difficult to find jobs over there not to mention the low

salary.When someone falls to their feet it is far more difficult then being a

homeless person in America. Homeless Americans can beg a days meal while over

in 3rd world countries people have no money to spare you.

Many of us try to encourage these people not to commit suicide but none of us

have had to work 15 hr days 24/7 earning about a few American cents an hour.

Education over there is as imporatant as your life, if it ends you end.
Michelle Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 21:22   Link #24
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
I was generalizing.

Okay, how bout Americans, Europeans, other Asians, South Africans, Africans in general (maybe), South Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders and other people near Australia, you get the idea.?
Well as a canadien the rate of suicide here is one of the lowest in the world. Most suicide here (0.6% canadien) is mostly teenage girls and ther relation with boys. Mostly the boy dont care so they do that they want, while the girl is in pain cause she love him more then anything on earth.

I mean cummon. there's so many ass holes/jerks. Just find a better one. For me having a couple is not very important at the age of student. If you get kids then that matter alot to you.

Its soo stupid that teens wanna get BF/GF when you still at school. soo baka

About drugs well if you taste cocaine... heroine... say bye bye to your little life body. its IMPOSIBLE IMPOSIBLE to stop. the only way is to stay in prison desintoxicating you for years.
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 21:29   Link #25
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Place to live
Costs a doozy every month

Man, I've used up all my money...I'd better work since I need the cash...
Oops. Sorry - you're here in America to study. You can't work.
Place to live shouldn't cost that much if you live on campus and have a meal plan, which your parents should be able to afford if they can afford the hefty tuition.
As for working, you CAN work, you just can't work off campus. If nothing else, there are always jobs in the dining halls and libraries (unless you go to a backwater college, in which case you might as well have stayed home). If you have to work off-campus, you can use your OPT which will last you for one year, during which you can make some money. Schools and countries also have financing options such as loans, fellowships and grants that you can apply for and so on and so forth.

Face it, your friend/acquaintance didn't try his best and didn't explore all his options. It happens and it's never pretty. All international students please learn from his example.
Old 2004-10-16, 21:40   Link #26
wao
OK.

I wonder if all the pressure, stress and closed-ness of the Japanese society is going to force it to split open some day?

I mean, you can't have all your people slowly commiting suicide and what valuable workforce you have left draining away... And if this is indeed all the cause of the culture the Japanese people have had for years, then (ironically?) perhaps we could describe it with a Chinese idiom, 不攻自破... I'm too lazy to translate that o.o

Okay, I just typed out this whole long thing about Singapore and that we also have (or at least, have been having) a highly stressful school system but suicide would be seen as stupid in this country, but then I realised it was highly irrelavent.
Old 2004-10-16, 21:46   Link #27
StriderA
Watashi wa Kuragari desu.

Send a message via ICQ to StriderA Send a message via AIM to StriderA Send a message via MSN to StriderA Send a message via Yahoo to StriderA
Whenever my thoughts cross this subject, I start thinking of everything I'll miss if I were to disappear. All the hot anime babes, all the hot cosplayers, all the cute catgirls. All the new music. All the new experiences.

The price isn't worth it.
StriderA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 21:50   Link #28
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Face it, your friend/acquaintance didn't try his best and didn't explore all his options. It happens and it's never pretty. All international students please learn from his example.
You're being too general (to be fair so was kj1980), some schools/programs are harder than others. I barely lift a finger at college and have time for a part time job. On the other hand I have friends in other colleges/programs that have to bust their ass to keep from failing and keep up in their assignments.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 21:55   Link #29
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
To tell you the truth, I actually do consider committing suicide myself with all the crap I have to endure at work everyday. Add that with the thought that I have to do this for the next forty+ years until my retirement, it is pretty depressing. And what do I get after I retire? A worthless social security that would probably won't be enough to live on.
I had tried Carbon Dioxide posioning, and I recommend anyone else considering suicide to try it as well...it simply does not work because it's so painful and slow (fortunately...or I wouldn't be here).

Quote:
Sigh... well, I still cling on to life with the hopeless dream that I will find a nice American girl so that I can get rid of this shitty job and start a new in a different country than where I grew up in.
Haha, that's the spirit! Make the American dream happen!
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 22:17   Link #30
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

Actually i recommend to anyone who wanna suicide to join the millitary force. Not only is risky to get your self kill but you also train your self to be STRONG.
Old 2004-10-16, 22:29   Link #31
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
So would u rather i say nothing that is discouraging or incouraging and act like i don't care and yes, I know big leap in my last rant but that is what sometimes comes arcross if you just ignore it.

Quote:
I was generalizing.

Okay, how bout Americans, Europeans, other Asians, South Africans, Africans in general (maybe), South Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders and other people near Australia, you get the idea
just say the world against japan. it is so much easier .

Quote:
Originally posted by 7thMethuselah
the suicide rates amongst young people have risen dramatically, the reasons are quite simple : stress, our society has become one where you have to constantly achieve stuff, you always have to do more in less time and of better quality, every day people are constantly putting pressure on you, pressure to get a college degree, insane pressure at work, pressure to be better than the guy next to you.
I'm glad that i live in a country that doesn't put that much stress on people to achieve maybe because we have a habit of (jokingly) tearing down people that have achieved more then us, sorry little Johnny (Australian cultural reference to prime minister, who has kept our country in good nick, yet we still like to pay him out!)

Quote:
Now I decided to try and make as much money as I can as fast as possible so that I can get into a part-time job. Working only one week out of two is something I can live with, at least that way there will be the opportunity to invest time into the things that truly interest me.
hey that's what my uncle does and he is pretty happy!
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 22:40   Link #32
Shift_

Quote:
Easy enough if Japanese was a major language spoken in other parts of the world. Truth is, many parents do send their children to foreign schools when they fail all their university exams. It's kind of like a "back-up plan."

So let's say an 18 year old who has lived in Japan all his entire life, horrible English even through six years shitty English that they teach here in our schools, decides to go to America since he couldn't get into a university here in Japan.

Get a visa from the American embassy, an I-20 from the school, etc. etc.
Costs shit load of money

The plane ticket
Costs a little bit of money

Tuition for foreign students
Costs heavy load of money

Place to live
Costs a doozy every month

Man, I've used up all my money...I'd better work since I need the cash...
Oops. Sorry - you're here in America to study. You can't work.

Hence - leech off your parents to wire you money every so often
Mommy and Daddy works hard to wire their child the money "to maintain their image" among the neighborhood and co-workers that "our child is studying diligently in America

Reality:
Heck, I don't have to work (it's not my fault - America doesn't allow foreign students to work), my parents send me money, and I'm taking this easy ass class in some stupid community college
Kid wanders around in America for another eight years in "never-ending ESL" class, leeching off his parents' money

By the time he's twenty eight, his parents are fed up with sending him money, and his visa expires so he goes back to Japan.

He comes back to find that no one hires him because he did nothing - has no experience - and has no education. All he can get is some cheap ass labor that pays less than 1500 yen per hour as a late-night convenience store worker. Gets into a bad habit of snorting liquid illegal substances and magic mushrooms, constantly in schizo-mode...

Finally decides to take his own life by gassing himself to death with carbon monoxide poisoning.

True story.
HOLY SHIT, do you know HOW FUCKING TRUE THAT IS? Well for alot NOT *all* of them...since I do know ALOT of ESL students, some of them work like dogs to keep marks up...but the others...pardon my language here...don't give a flying fuck

I know a guy...he came here to study, yea he drinks alot, gets laid, gets hammered somemore, doesn't really study. Parents bought him an RX8, shipped over a veilside body kit, volk gram light rims, intake, exhaust, deck, seats, hids all the fun stuff, pay for everything.

yea....however that also being said. The only kids that I find that do that come from VERY well off famlies that don't really worry about the money, because they have so much. The kids that seem to work the hardest are the ones that come from not so well off famlies (although THERE are exceptions to both examples) where their parents work hard to send their kids here...
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 22:41   Link #33
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
Sorry for the double post and this might sound stupid but sometimes seeing or waiting to see another anime in a series you've been watching is enough to keep u alive. it is always the little things, not the big things that keep u going and make u happy when u wake up in the morning after a bad night.
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 22:52   Link #34
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe
Sorry for the double post
Too slow! XD

Quote:
this might sound stupid but sometimes seeing or waiting to see another anime in a series you've been watching is enough to keep u alive.
No, it's not silly to me...because manga/anime was a factor for me.

Quote:
it is always the little things, not the big things that keep u going and make u happy when u wake up in the morning after a bad night.
Very true words. ^_^
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 23:55   Link #35
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Once you've seen people committing suicide by jumping into an oncoming train off the train station right in front of you several times, nothing is shocking.
I think I read about this in one of your more lengthy posts once upon a time ago...but I can't find where it is. But yeah, it's a bummer to hear about that. It's seems like the social expectations in Japan is too harsh. But who am I to judge? I never been to Japan. Anyways, I gotta agree with Meow, come to think of it, I haven't heard of a suicide (around me) yet for the 5 years I've lived here.

Quote:
To tell you the truth, I actually do consider committing suicide myself with all the crap I have to endure at work everyday. Add that with the thought that I have to do this for the next forty+ years until my retirement, it is pretty depressing. And what do I get after I retire? A worthless social security that would probably won't be enough to live on.

Sigh... well, I still cling on to life with the hopeless dream that I will find a nice American girl so that I can get rid of this shitty job and start a new in a different country than where I grew up in.
Have you considered coming to Canada as well? I've lived in the US before (for combined total of 6+ years of US experience). It's basically an easier going America. Less people, less competition, and whole lot of trees, if you don't mind the cold. And the girls? Easier as well heh heh ...maybe that's just me. Anyways, with less competition, it'll be easier for you find a job in whatever field/degree you have. At the very least, with your English level and Japanese level of comprehension, I'm sure (or I hope) you can find a job as a Japanese language teacher/professor, or a bilingual translater for companies/parties. Maybe other Canadians here can help persuade kj1980 to come here instead .
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 00:12   Link #36
Shift_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
I think I read about this in one of your more lengthy posts once upon a time ago...but I can't find where it is. But yeah, it's a bummer to hear about that. It's seems like the social expectations in Japan is too harsh. But who am I to judge? I never been to Japan. Anyways, I gotta agree with Meow, come to think of it, I haven't heard of a suicide (around me) yet for the 5 years I've lived here.

Have you considered coming to Canada as well? I've lived in the US before (for combined total of 6+ years of US experience). It's basically an easier going America. Less people, less competition, and whole lot of trees, if you don't mind the cold. And the girls? Easier as well heh heh ...maybe that's just me. Anyways, with less competition, it'll be easier for you find a job in whatever field/degree you have. At the very least, with your English level and Japanese level of comprehension, I'm sure (or I hope) you can find a job as a Japanese language teacher/professor, or a bilingual translater for companies/parties. Maybe other Canadians here can help persuade kj1980 to come here instead .
Maybe I'm looking this from a 'warped' point of view...but I love asia...I just don't have the money to live there.

You COULD come to canada, or to the US. But I find (growing up with traditional chinese parents in canada) that I like the asian culture, asian feel of things better than the american ones.

I'd stay in Japan IMO...I doubt things would be any better here, jobs are horrible to find anywhere in canada and the US. Unless if you got some sort of rare degree that is in demand.

What degree DO you have KJ? If it's ANYTHING to do with computers, I wish you luck.

If I could choose anywhere to live in the world, Taiwan, and Japan would def be near the top somewhere, Singapore too...

If you do move here, and you want to be somewhere asian...it's really HARD to find a place like that here...Maybe smaller places in BC or TO...but most of them are 'white-washed' asians, and I some of my friends who are ESL just don't relate to them even though they ARE asian, it's like their not, it's hard to explain...then in other places there are people like me, who are like a 'blend' of east and west (this is good and bad at the same time) and then you have the 'upper-class' traditional asians (like those you would probally find in 'higher society' japan and HK) then the fading group, the hardworking middle class asians...both tradional groups are 'slowly' fading, because it's the offspring that make the way of the future.

Even when I have some relatives visit, they think it's REALLY wierd so yea...

kj1980: If I go to japan (which I may this summer if I do well on the april MCAT test) I'll have to meet up with you and buy you some drinks
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 01:28   Link #37
Shadowlord
~DESU

Suicide rates in almost every country have been increasing steadily over the years. I know that here in Vancouver, there are many people commiting suicide, mostly from bullying. There was a girl at my school who commited suicide after she was bullied nonstop. it is tragic, and I have tried to kill myself before by jamming a knife into a light socket (lol, u probablly think im crazy now) obviously, it didnt work. On the point that you could always come to another country if you dont make it, I really dont like that idea. Your running away because your unable to do something, which should then mean that you need to try harder. I know that there are rare cases where it is impossible to do better, and it is still not enough, but it is rare. It is definitely true here in Canada that foreigners pay more for schooling. For summer school, I pay $350, for the japanese girl I went with, it cost $700. As for the ethnic population, you can practically call Vancouver New Japan. White people are a minority, much of Vancouvers population is Asian, which becomes even more true as you get close to the downtown core. When I went to Metrotown yesterday, I saw 2 other white people in the store, the rest were asian. Not saying this is bad, just pointing out that Vancouver is mostly Asian ethnicity. I should point out that I have yet to see any Asians at my school who were not trying hard. Most of the top mark in my school are held by asians, which goes to show that most try.

Yeah, KJ1980, if you ever want to get away from the crowded streets of japan, you could come to the crowded streets of Vancouver instead , you wouldnt have to leave asian culture behind!
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 02:08   Link #38
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
Bleh, the Japanese are the unique (craziest) of all asians out there.
Granted asians try hard (not smart) in general and education is one of them, but the Japanese society has futhered that into an odd direction.

Now I must joke about this but be serious at the same time.
Let this be an example of how important knowledge is to those who neglect it (us American students exspecially).

The same concept can be applied to adults as well; mentioned in the previous posts.

Any how, I'm asian (Vietnamese); and I'm living in America slaving away to anime and the market xD
AOforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 02:16   Link #39
Meow
So Who Is On Top ?

I agree that vancouver is becoming a chinatown. But about your stat about the commitment of suicide in canada... its very low. I mean, what in the world would you peoples complain about this country ?

- Never been at war
- Hospital is free
- You can eat with a dollar
- World's most lowest in criminality
- No earthquakes
- No tornados, hurracanes
- No volcanos
- A green country
- No discriminality
- Freedom to protest
- Gay can go on public
- Public Schools are free
- Private schools are not as expencive as the US
- Population is 1/16 out of the numbers of peoples in russia
- Immigrants are welcome
- Getting your cityzenship is not as hard as US, Europe, Japan.
- No extremists putting bombs
- Canada as never been a target
- Support UN, paris
- School exams are less harder then US
- Parents who have child are supported by the GOV, give some money, ennough for food
- No to racism
- To have a gun you must Pass the the CGSC exams and be 21+
- download IS legal

You think you can get all that opportunity if you lived somewhere in Mexico, US, Asia, Md-east ? I mean Cummon... you'll get crazy if you lived in irak. you'll Probably pick up a gun and shoot your self.
Old 2004-10-17, 02:25   Link #40
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow
I agree that vancouver is becoming a chinatown. But about your stat about the commitment of suicide in canada... its very low. I mean, what in the world would you peoples complain about this country ?

- Never been at war
- Hospital is free
- You can eat with a dollar
- World's most lowest in criminality
- No earthquakes
- No tornados, hurracanes
- No volcanos
- A green country
- No discriminality
- Freedom to protest
- Gay can go on public
- Public Schools are free
- Private schools are not as expencive as the US
- Population is 1/16 out of the numbers of peoples in russia
- Immigrants are welcome
- Getting your cityzenship is not as hard as US, Europe, Japan.
- No extremists putting bombs
- Canada as never been a target
- Support UN, paris
- School exams are less harder then US
- Parents who have child are supported by the GOV, give some money, ennough for food
- No to racism
- To have a gun you must Pass the the CGSC exams and be 21+
- download IS legal

You think you can get all that opportunity if you lived somewhere in Mexico, US, Asia, Md-east ? I mean Cummon... you'll get crazy if you lived in irak. you'll Probably pick up a gun and shoot your self.
omg.... is this true???
i wanna move to canada!!! ^^
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote