AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-09-10, 12:02   Link #6841
Lenyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
Grammatically speaking, it should be 'anyway'. However, 'anyways' is sometimes used casually. I'm not sure if the original Japanese is in a casual tone. If it is, then 'anyways' should be acceptable.
I always correct my friends in casual conversation by telling them it's unnecessary, which is the only reason I asked.

I'm sure someone like Battler would say "anyways" if he lived in America.
Lenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 21:51   Link #6842
Roseweave

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Afraid we'll have to go with "none of the above", here.

We used to have more translators, but it seems like chronotrig is pretty much doing it all now, and he's really bogged down with RL business. Project's not dropped, but you'll have to be patient.
I think it's a shame more people haven't come forward to help given Umineko's popularity. It almost makes me want to learn japanese just to make sure things like this get released. I think maybe releasing the half patch at that time was a bad idea in a way because it's made it easier for interest in Umineko overall to wane, you can kind of "get where it's going". It feels like Umineko has fizzled out to me.

Of course we should be thankful for what we get, but at the same time as a community we have to try and remain productive. Since I don't have the patience for Japanese, I'm going to try and write some good OELVNs instead that will hopefully appeal to people who were fans of Umineko since there are only so many VNs like that.

If anyone has any suggestions for VNs I've missed though I'm all ears... already feeling withdrawal.
Roseweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 17:32   Link #6843
chronotrig

Yes, the translation is still coming along, though slowly. We'll have another update posted soon.

As for anyway vs anyways (which is the first thing that jumped out at me when I read that quote), either can be acceptable for casual conversations and dialog, but we're removing all versions of the latter in the patch because it's started annoying me too. The line mentioned was either from the demo or EP1, which we haven't gotten around to doing a re-release of lately. And thanks to Yirba for pointing out the heir issue.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 04:15   Link #6844
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Yes, the translation is still coming along, though slowly. We'll have another update posted soon.

As for anyway vs anyways (which is the first thing that jumped out at me when I read that quote), either can be acceptable for casual conversations and dialog, but we're removing all versions of the latter in the patch because it's started annoying me too. The line mentioned was either from the demo or EP1, which we haven't gotten around to doing a re-release of lately. And thanks to Yirba for pointing out the heir issue.
Good to hear. "Anyways" just doesn't sound right to me.
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 17:26   Link #6845
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
The line mentioned was either from the demo or EP1, which we haven't gotten around to doing a re-release of lately. And thanks to Yirba for pointing out the heir issue.
Yeah, that was in umi1_4 (Dining Room), although there are loads of occurrences of 'anyways' all over the place. These are all the ones in episodes 1-4 (I don't have Chiru yet):

Spoiler for Episodes 1 to 4:

By the way, would it be possible to have an editable copy of the scripts online so that we could suggest corrections without having to check if someone else has already suggested it or something…?
Old 2011-09-12, 19:29   Link #6846
Zero Sora

I just realised that the Witch Hunt news section says "May 10, 2010 - Episode 8: Part 1 released. ~50% translated"

Somehow WH was able to release part 1 of Episode 8 before it was released in Japan

Yeah it should be May 10, 2011
Zero Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 19:39   Link #6847
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

I've found a sentence (umi3_15: The Definition of a Witch) that doesn't sound quite right:

Code:
; ……それは薔薇庭園の方角。@
; そしてその向こうには、雷光に黒いシルエットを浮かび上がらせる屋敷が見える。@
`......That was the direction of the rose garden.`@
`And beyond that, she could see the mansion's dark silhouette creating by lightning.`@
I wonder if anyone else can make sense of that last line.
Old 2011-09-12, 20:13   Link #6848
Corfish1001

Creating should be created, then it should sound fine.
Corfish1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 01:41   Link #6849
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
By the way, would it be possible to have an editable copy of the scripts online so that we could suggest corrections without having to check if someone else has already suggested it or something…?
The text is one of the game's primary components. While well-intentioned, it'd be kind of like piracy, so this is highly unlikely.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 16:47   Link #6850
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
The text is one of the game's primary components. While well-intentioned, it'd be kind of like piracy, so this is highly unlikely.
The scripts are released for free in the patches anyway. I suppose not many people know how to convert a packaged script file to a text script though.
Old 2011-09-14, 05:59   Link #6851
immblueversion

Quote:
The scripts are released for free in the patches anyway. I suppose not many people know how to convert a packaged script file to a text script though.
They could find and download "NSDec" to extract the script into an editable .txt file. Of course, it's a matter of knowing where to find it. And if everyone knew, everyone would be doing it.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 15:35   Link #6852
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

To be honest though, it really isn't much fun reading the script by itself. People want to read it as a visual novel. And you can't play it as a visual novel with only the script file. Therefore, it would only be useful to people who own the game itself, or those who have pirated the game itself, in which case they could just use the English patch anyway.
Old 2011-09-14, 17:08   Link #6853
m0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
They could find and download "NSDec" to extract the script into an editable .txt file. Of course, it's a matter of knowing where to find it. And if everyone knew, everyone would be doing it.
it's a matter of knowing where to find it AND knowing about NSDec. If you are not into Visual Novel making , i seriously doubt anyone who doesn't know what it is knows what to do with that file.

I agree all it takes is a google query, but there are not so many skilled people with a computer outta there
m0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 18:11   Link #6854
st_nick5

Think I've spotted a bug. I'm playing through episode six, and in some scenes where it's supposed to show a close-up of two characters faces, the one on the left seems to be missing. I don't know whether it's like this in any of the other games, but it's definitely happening in episode 6.
Old 2011-09-23, 18:50   Link #6855
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

It's an ONScripter bug for the release WH is currently using for EP8. Newer versions have fixed that, but cause distortion in some ep7/8 bgm. To fix that, you must add this line
Quote:
match-audiodevice-to-bgm
to your ons.cfg file.

(Credits for all of this go to the always kind and supportive Uncle Mion of course!)
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 18:58   Link #6856
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
It's an ONScripter bug for the release WH is currently using for EP8. Newer versions have fixed that, but cause distortion in some ep7/8 bgm. To fix that, you must add this line

to your ons.cfg file.

(Credits for all of this go to the always kind and supportive Uncle Mion of course!)
Huh, that didn't seem to fix it :| Maybe it doesn't work with loaded save files?
Old 2011-09-24, 03:54   Link #6857
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Which ONScripter build are you using now? Try the latest version (onscripter-en-20110628) from http://unclemion.com/onscripter/releases/ without using a previous save state.
Old 2011-09-24, 04:09   Link #6858
Swigun
Ars Magica Translator

Meanwhile, Ep6 Italian translation is out!
http://www.arsmagica.net/
Old 2011-09-24, 04:20   Link #6859
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
Which ONScripter build are you using now? Try the latest version (onscripter-en-20110628) from http://unclemion.com/onscripter/releases/ without using a previous save state.
I just downloaded the English patch on the Witch-Hunt website. Didn't know I was able to install newer versions. I'll have a look.

edit - How do I install a newer version?

edit - Nevermind, got it. That seems to have fixed it. Should I still add that line to the ons.cfg file in the newer onscripter release?
Old 2011-09-24, 04:50   Link #6860
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_nick5 View Post
edit - Nevermind, got it. That seems to have fixed it. Should I still add that line to the ons.cfg file in the newer onscripter release?
Yes. The Witch-Hunt patch version of ONScripter doesn't correctly visualize those big sprites on the left of the screen. On the other hand, newer versions require you to add that line in ons.cfg, otherwise you'll hear distorted music in EP7 and EP8, because, quoting word by word what Uncle Mion told me,

Quote:
Some of the Umineko music is at a different audio frequency from the sound mixer. Previous versions of onscripter-en would automatically reset the mixer to the frequency of the BGM, but since we got complaints about the effect that has with some NScripter games (sound effect/voice distortion, lots of closing/reopening of the sound mixer), we've made it optional.

Tags
translation