AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-03, 01:51   Link #581
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitok View Post
I guess this question could be asked on Mugi too. I cant recall any time she's angry ._.
i knew that someone's gonna ask about this. well, there is an instance that i can remember, ep 14 s2, when Mio removed the tag on Mugi-s dress. she had this "frustrated" look on her face. (idk if this one counts, but frustrated and angry are about the same in my dictionary.

Spoiler for mugi "angry" face:

as for the manga, i don't know... i haven't read the manga yet... (yeah, i will say i am "LAZY")

yeah, Mio is about 3 months older than me, you do the math. (i think i still qualify as her "batchmate"), so yeah. still no problem dating older women... hehehe....

Last edited by LightMusicBand; 2012-01-04 at 02:55.
Old 2012-01-03, 13:23   Link #582
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Mugi was only "frustrated" because Mio didn't hit her like Mio would hit Ritsu for the same thing.
Old 2012-02-29, 09:52   Link #583
specialk23
guitarist

Hi, first time posting in this thread, big HTT fan! Have been playing the guitar for 4 years.

My question is:
Who plays lead guitar in HTT? They discuss this both in the anime (Ep9 S1) and manga (Ch 18), and I thought it was Yui (because Azusa said "Senpai should do it" in response to Ritsu), but when I listen to the instrumental parts of the songs, Azusa plays the solos. I just listened to Azusa's guitar part in Singing! (the K-ON! Movie Official Band Score came out today) and she plays the solo. Yui's parts sound like the rhythm guitar to me. Even in the Come With Me Live Event, when they play live (i.e. U&I) Azusa's seiyuu, Taketatsu-san plays the lead guitar.
Old 2012-02-29, 16:47   Link #584
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk23 View Post
Hi, first time posting in this thread, big HTT fan! Have been playing the guitar for 4 years.

My question is:
Who plays lead guitar in HTT? They discuss this both in the anime (Ep9 S1) and manga (Ch 18), and I thought it was Yui (because Azusa said "Senpai should do it" in response to Ritsu), but when I listen to the instrumental parts of the songs, Azusa plays the solos. I just listened to Azusa's guitar part in Singing! (the K-ON! Movie Official Band Score came out today) and she plays the solo. Yui's parts sound like the rhythm guitar to me. Even in the Come With Me Live Event, when they play live (i.e. U&I) Azusa's seiyuu, Taketatsu-san plays the lead guitar.
Yui plays lead guitar. I know it sounds kind of tricky on some songs, but she does in fact play lead. A good example would be Utauyo!! MIRACLE. Yui plays alot more single notes, follows the melody, and leads the first solo. Well as Azusa plays more Chord progressions, riffs, and is alot more rhythmic stuff. I think Azusa is best fit for rhythm guitar, considering Yui being bad with keeping tempo/time. I guess what makes HTT unique, is that they have a fantastic guitarist who plays rhythm guitar, but can also play lead! I'm pretty sure they switch lead roles, but for the most part Yui is considered.

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2012-02-29 at 22:09.
Old 2012-02-29, 21:41   Link #585
trenton_dawn
Silt

It varies. For example, in Cagayake Girls or Fuwa Fuwa, Azusa has the lead and Yui plays rhythm (excepting the solos, where they switch off in Cagayake and Yui leads on Fuwa Fuwa). In Fude Pen Buru Pen, Azusa has lead all the way, although we don't know if that's because Yui isn't playing (the reverse is true of Stapler and Tenshi ni Fureta Yo). In GO! GO! MANIAC Azusa is also lead and they switch off on the solos. In Pure Pure Heart Azusa also has lead.

Also, it's not canon, but in my mind I assign a number of song leads to Azusa due to use of the whammy bar, which Yui's LP isn't outfitted with. Azusa's never seen to use it, either, but presumably she hasn't blocked it or anything so she always could. For example, Sweet Bitter Beauty Song (not that great an example since both parts use the whammy bar), Over the Starlight, or Come With Me.

Last edited by trenton_dawn; 2012-02-29 at 21:55.
Old 2012-02-29, 22:55   Link #586
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Well if you don't consider the OP&ED

I would give lead to Yui for all the Season 1 songs just because those songs were all originally made for one guitar, and Yui being lead. I also have a couple reasons why. (This is just based off what I see in the official band score, also based of my prior knowledge of concert band/jazz band middle school, that first seat/ or instrument 1, gets all the higher notes, so they stick out more, they also get most of the solos. With 2nd seat haveing transposed lower notes then the first seat but time from time get solos in jazz, and 3rd seat is just rhythm) This is just my opinion

Key
Yui
Azusa

Fude Pen Buru Pen: Really? I think Yui is Playing lead guitar all the way, based of the official scores. She Basically gets all the solo riffs, while Azusa having more of those rhythm chords.

Watashi No Koi Wa Hotchkiss: Yui with lead all the way.

Curry Nochi Rice: Its hard to say, it sounds like there both playing the same thing but maybe one them is just playing an octave lower? If that's the case Azusa probably gets the lower octave stuff or is playing intervals since there adding her into the song. I would give the lead too Yui since she was originally the lead guitarist for the song and takes solo.

Fuwa Fuwa Time: Again since Fuwa Fuwa time was originally one guitar, with Yui, her part is alot more prominent. Plus the solo and the 3rd verse, and bridge has her clearly at lead. It really seems like Azusa is supporting Yui with her intervals, and it all honestly Yui's part seems alot more difficult.

Fuyu no Hi:Yui with lead all the way.

Gohan wa Okazu: I think it sounds pretty obvious

Honey Sweet Tea Time

Samidare 20 Love

Tenshi ni Fureta Yo

Tokimeki Sugar

U&I

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2012-02-29 at 23:07.
Old 2012-03-01, 04:38   Link #587
trenton_dawn
Silt

I'm not sure how to feel about Curry Nochi Rice or Stapler since we hardly have any information on a 5-person version of either of these songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
Fude Pen Buru Pen: Really? I think Yui is Playing lead guitar all the way, based of the official scores. She Basically gets all the solo riffs, while Azusa having more of those rhythm chords.
Yeah, I suppose the official score book would be more authoritative than the insert song (where Yui isn't even present). Though, that complicates the original question because it leads the way for admissibility of a ton of other official scores which have Azusa on lead, ha ha.

Quote:
Fuwa Fuwa Time: Again since Fuwa Fuwa time was originally one guitar, with Yui, her part is alot more prominent. Plus the solo and the 3rd verse, and bridge has her clearly at lead. It really seems like Azusa is supporting Yui with her intervals, and it all honestly Yui's part seems alot more difficult.
Yeah, Yui's part is a lot more involved but Azusa's the one with the higher notes during, say, verses 1 and 2, her melody parts stand out more during these sections. Of course the whole bridge section is Yui's.

Quote:
Tokimeki Sugar
Other than the main riff, Azusa ends up taking most of the lead melody in the song (verses, chorus).

Anyway, I'd argue that for the purposes of the insert songs, Yui and Azusa are equal parts rhythm and lead. Yui has more lead parts but that's also because she has a whole year's headstart on Azusa. Focusing on the Season 2 songs Yui and Azusa seem to switch back and forth at a moment's notice. As Captn pointed out, it's a great asset to have two guitarists capable of doing that, it gives your band more options and it also helps those guitarists be more aware of the flow of the band as a whole and not just their own parts.

If we start to look at character songs and OP/EDs then Azusa starts to take the lead as she is lead on many of those songs.

Last edited by trenton_dawn; 2012-03-01 at 05:09.
Old 2012-03-01, 13:56   Link #588
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
If we start to look at character songs and OP/EDs then Azusa starts to take the lead as she is lead on many of those songs.
Those aren't canon, though.
Old 2012-03-01, 14:43   Link #589
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
Those aren't canon, though.
I agree, but they are in an official score book so they're not completely without basis.
Old 2012-03-01, 16:33   Link #590
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Anyway, I'd argue that for the purposes of the insert songs, Yui and Azusa are equal parts rhythm and lead. Yui has more lead parts but that's also because she has a whole year's headstart on Azusa. Focusing on the Season 2 songs Yui and Azusa seem to switch back and forth at a moment's notice. As Captn pointed out, it's a great asset to have two guitarists capable of doing that, it gives your band more options and it also helps those guitarists be more aware of the flow of the band as a whole and not just their own parts.

I agree, Azusa does take most of the leads for the OP/EDs. They are a bit more challenging.
Old 2012-03-05, 20:19   Link #591
Blossom550

i always wonder how can i tell the difference between Yui & Azusa when it comes to sound? because sometime they sound alike when they play guitar
Old 2012-03-07, 10:01   Link #592
specialk23
guitarist

Thank you all for your answers , I think it's safe to say that Yui and Azusa take turns to play the lead.
Old 2012-04-11, 17:23   Link #593
Uberchu

From the posts above, it seems like being lead guitarist is more challenging than being rhythm (correct me if I'm wrong, don't know much about music). Question is, why is Yui the lead then? I thought Azusa was more skilled. Yes, I read how they switch sometimes, but for the most part it's Yui that's lead.

And does anybody feel it's weird that Yui, even though I know she's a good guitar player in her own right, seems to be the worst guitar player in the series? Even her sister's better than her.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:14   Link #594
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberchu View Post
From the posts above, it seems like being lead guitarist is more challenging than being rhythm (correct me if I'm wrong, don't know much about music). Question is, why is Yui the lead then?
Because she's older, and she was there first. I think that's pretty much all there's to it.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:16   Link #595
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Every once it a while Yui is awesome on guitar.
Old 2012-04-11, 19:35   Link #596
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
From the posts above, it seems like being lead guitarist is more challenging than being rhythm (correct me if I'm wrong, don't know much about music). Question is, why is Yui the lead then? I thought Azusa was more skilled. Yes, I read how they switch sometimes, but for the most part it's Yui that's lead.

And does anybody feel it's weird that Yui, even though I know she's a good guitar player in her own right, seems to be the worst guitar player in the series? Even her sister's better than her.
It's not strictly true that rhythm guitar is always easier than lead. For example, other than the solo I'd say that the lead on U&I is similar or less difficulty than the rhythm part. Anyway, between Azusa and Yui, Azusa has more experience but Yui is a fast learner and as the series progresses I'd say her ability to play becomes comparable to Azusa's. Also it's not like the songs the play are all that difficult anyway, I think just about anyone could play them after practicing guitar for two or three years.

Bringing Ui into the discussion just isn't fair because Ui is literally good at everything she does.
Old 2012-04-12, 18:11   Link #597
Uberchu

Quote:
Bringing Ui into the discussion just isn't fair because Ui is literally good at everything she does.
You'd think they'd give at least one thing Yui is better at than her sister though.
Old 2012-04-13, 23:20   Link #598
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ui is basically a satirical version of a "Mary Sue" (and I'm not complaining...it simply makes Yui more amusing/pathetic/amazing).

People often learn rhythm first -- its rather like being "2nd" or "3rd" trumpet before moving into the "1st" trumpet part. I don't know that it is anything other than tradition ... though knowing the chords currently in play would help a melodic lead guitarist make choices during improvised solo.

Yui: innate talent but lazy and easily distracted
Azusa: less innate talent but hard working and focused.
Ui: innate talent and focused.
Massive simplification but yeah, that's a thumbnail.
Old 2012-04-15, 21:45   Link #599
Uberchu

I forgot to ask

Quote:
Anyway, between Azusa and Yui, Azusa has more experience but Yui is a fast learner and as the series progresses I'd say her ability to play becomes comparable to Azusa's.
At what times did Yui show the above? Like, any music she played?
Old 2012-04-15, 23:14   Link #600
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I forgot to ask
At what times did Yui show the above? Like, any music she played?
If I remember correctly, it was stated on Yui's profile card (season 1 Blu-ray Extras) that in general, Azusa is the better player due to her experience, but when it comes into concert, Yui surpasses Azusa.

One thing about Yui is that while she learns fast and have a knack for music (how she tunes her guitar merely by ear), her abilities cost her about forgetting the other things

But as time goes on, Yui learns more, and she'll eventually catch-up or surpass Azusa. It was seen throughout the anime that not only she is talented, but hard working as well she practices diligently (at least at home).

for the music example... the ones I remember are mostly from season 1, where Azusa hasn't joined HTT. First is in their first summer camp, when Yui played a piece from Death Devil's song, much to everyone's surprise. Second is when they have the "Koi wa Hotchkiss" concert. Mio noticed that Yui played the first part perfectly, although it's difficult, but then she realized that Yui forgot to sing and then Mio took over the vocal
Closed Thread

Tags
q&a