Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-13, 11:27   Link #1081
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
I am not trying to argue about being "not the enemy" at all, I'm attempting to inform people about what the reality of the world is and why it is the case and provide context on my perspective.
That is a fairly bold statement. At best you can give input from a financial perspective given your expertise, but there are many ways to describe reality. People in this thread have very different backgrounds and look at economic issues a from their own professional disciplines or education.

I'm well versed in micro/macro and monetary economic theory but I wouldn't dare to claim I understand the complex transactions done on derivative markets or the nature of political economy. Outside of my own field I'm just a layman like anyone else. I'm sure someone who has studied law or social studies would see things very differently from me.
Old 2013-05-13, 14:03   Link #1082
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I firmly believe that there's more than enough "stuff" to go around, but the way it's being distributed (and squandered) leaves much to be desired. Of course, eventually the population will grow to the point where the "stuff" starts to be less plentiful...

Which is why we should be getting on space development pronto. We're inevitably going to outgrow our earthly confines, assuming we don't initiate self-extinction first.
Yea it's far more due to distribution, at least at the moment. It's pretty funny right? The people that are trying to brainwash us and telling us that there's not enough thus we must all tear each other apart for the scraps are the ones that are holding most of it anyways for themselves.

Don't believe their shit for a moment. These are the same people that tell you to pick yourselves by your bootstraps when they had 10 people pull that 1 person up. It's not about hypocrisy. It's just about plain old propaganda and class conflict where the peasantry is just too busy fighting among themselves and laying blame while the royalty plays the harp as Rome burns.

The blame game is the politician's. When it's played, they win and we lose because it's always an excuse to do nothing.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-05-13, 14:07   Link #1083
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yea. It's pretty funny right? The people that are trying to brainwash us and telling us that there's not enough thus we must all tear each other apart for the scraps are the ones that are holding most of it anyways for themselves.
There wouldn't be enough for two reasons:

1. Production is based on just that production, not division.
2. People expect too much as "necessity", meaning if we were to meet that "necessity" we actually wouldn't have enough.

Reason two is the bigger problem. There is simply too much entitlement in developed countries.
Old 2013-05-13, 14:14   Link #1084
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The entitlement buzzword is certainly a useful one, in that what one needs doesn't correspond with what one wants. Though, I think "entitlement" is often used in the wrong place, and while the general population may be considered as such, I think those lobbies and corporations constantly looking out for those tax loopholes, and those irresponsible businesses that are "too big to fail" and expect bailouts to be where it truly is.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-05-13, 15:13   Link #1085
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

There's a difference between a sweatshop worker saying the economy needs reform because we can't all live like Americans, and a billionaire saying that.
Old 2013-05-13, 15:15   Link #1086
Sumeragi
Banned

When they're both talking about the same thing, then there is no difference.
Old 2013-05-13, 15:17   Link #1087
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

... You're right, it's exactly the same. They're both saying "you're going to have to make sacrifices so I can live better".
Old 2013-05-13, 16:55   Link #1088
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... You're right, it's exactly the same. They're both saying "you're going to have to make sacrifices so I can live better".
We have a winner.
Old 2013-05-13, 17:03   Link #1089
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Just like everyone else is. Ultimately all this is about getting a bigger piece of the pie, with quite a few disregarding how that pie is formed in the first place.
Old 2013-05-13, 17:17   Link #1090
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Just like everyone else is. Ultimately all this is about getting a bigger piece of the pie, with quite a few disregarding how that pie is formed in the first place.
Actually, it's about ensuring the survival and advancement of our species as a whole. Even if the "one percent" were struck down and the great income inequalities adjusted, I doubt my own situation would improve or worsen.

The reason things are so skewed is because everyone is thinking solely of themselves. "Screw you, I've got mine" has become the mantra of the modern era. If we throw this concept away and try to help one another, then we become stronger as a result.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Old 2013-05-13, 17:38   Link #1091
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama slams IRS actions, calls Benghazi probe a 'sideshow'
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94C0UN20130513

Donations, lobbying by high-speed traders on the rise: report
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94C0RG20130513
Old 2013-05-13, 20:03   Link #1092
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Actually, it's about ensuring the survival and advancement of our species as a whole. Even if the "one percent" were struck down and the great income inequalities adjusted, I doubt my own situation would improve or worsen.

The reason things are so skewed is because everyone is thinking solely of themselves. "Screw you, I've got mine" has become the mantra of the modern era. If we throw this concept away and try to help one another, then we become stronger as a result.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Then comes the paradigm of "What do I get out of it?".

Unfortunately, not everyone is far-sighted enough to see consequences.

Much less said for those who are better off. After all, they often have more than they need for survival.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-18, 07:44   Link #1093
Kyuu
=^^=

Haha, oh wow:

Quote:
One day after The White House released 100 pages of Benghazi emails, a report has surfaced alleging that Republicans released a set with altered text.

CBS News reported Thursday that leaked versions sent out by the GOP last Friday had visible differences than Wednesday's official batch. Two correspondences that were singled out in the report came from National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes and State Department Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3289428.html

Would anyone really sort to something like that? Apparently so.
Old 2013-05-18, 08:55   Link #1094
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Haha, oh wow:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3289428.html

Would anyone really sort to something like that? Apparently so.
At this point the question becomes whether someone gave the Republicans an edited version of if they made the edits themselves. If they did, their whole campaign about "Americans deserve the truth" and "without the truth the trust in government is eroded" looks highly hypocritical. Not that I'd be surprised if it were really the case, though. A career politician will play politics to keep their job; what would they be doing to earn a living if they weren't in politics?
Old 2013-05-18, 11:53   Link #1095
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
At this point the question becomes whether someone gave the Republicans an edited version of if they made the edits themselves. If they did, their whole campaign about "Americans deserve the truth" and "without the truth the trust in government is eroded" looks highly hypocritical. Not that I'd be surprised if it were really the case, though. A career politician will play politics to keep their job; what would they be doing to earn a living if they weren't in politics?
Sometimes this sort of "edit" turns out to be an over-zealous aide who thinks the results justified the means.

But then again, I've seen the very top of the food chain be stupid enough to pull something so dumb.
Old 2013-05-23, 10:41   Link #1096
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Allies of Immigration Bill Aim for Added Support
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/23/us...d-support.html
Quote:
Democrats will also have to work to assuage an influential group of allies: gay advocates, who were furious when a provision they supported was left out of the legislation. After a deliberation he described as agonizing, Senator Patrick J. Leahy, the Democrat from Vermont who is chairman of the Judiciary Committee, withheld his amendment that would have allowed American citizens to apply for permanent resident status — a document known as a green card — for their same-sex partners.
Old 2013-05-25, 18:14   Link #1097
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Political landscape changes with improving economy
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-25-16-13-36

Dispute Over Budget Deepens a Rift Within the G.O.P.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/25/us...-senators.html
Old 2013-05-25, 21:01   Link #1098
Ridwan

America’s ‘Mission Accomplished’ Legacy to Iraq: Sectarian Violence Mounts with 95 Dead
Old 2013-05-25, 21:32   Link #1099
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Don't you see, though? Now they're 'free from tyranny.' It was all worth it.
Old 2013-05-26, 12:25   Link #1100
Badkarma 1

Like we didn't see that comin. They were at it long before we got there, and will be long after my generation is gone. Hell this feud has been going on for a thousand years or more.
As for the legacy thing, well at least they can vote now.
Other than that, just another day over there.
Closed Thread