Notices

Old 2015-05-26, 10:56   Link #1
Dart-Sama

A Hero's War [Web Novel]

Original Title : A Hero's War
Author : jseah
Publisher : Fictionpress
jseah's fictionpress acount

Sinopsis: Morey is summoned to a fantasy world under seige by the forces of darkness, called a Hero by the natives. Unknown to them, they got two 'Heroes' for the price of one. Dumped into a strange and dangerous fantasy world, Cato struggles to find out what happened to him and where he is. And perhaps there are advantages to not being a Hero. And perhaps not all the legends are true...

MC: hes the resouceful kind (MacGyver xD), not that dificult given their low lvl of tech.
plus: there is fluffy girls =D (a fenec-like race and a winged one so far, but there got to be more right?)
Dart-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 11:07   Link #2
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

ok... you have my curiosity

answer the obligatory questions
maxxus0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 11:07   Link #3
Riz
Djokjakarta~~~

please answer the usual question

“Excuse me, two of this [squeezed raw milk soft cream] please!”

Kazuki spontaneously read the menu frankly without even questioning it.

“Otouto-kun…that item’s name, make me feel so complicated somehow…”

Kaguya-senpai was dealt the final blow from a strange place and received even more shock.

[Sauce]
Riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 11:24   Link #4
Dart-Sama

hahahaha well...
hes capable of sensing magic force but hasnt learned any so far, hes at farmer power lvl so far
and there are lots of girls around but hes not getting any atention xD

but hey! there is only 23 short chaps so far, despair not!
Old 2015-05-26, 12:11   Link #5
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

as in farmer?

Tell me what are the features of your MC?
Old 2015-05-26, 12:36   Link #6
elairz

bookmarked for now. will read it when im free.
elairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 04:26   Link #7
jseah

Hi, I'm the author of this story. I was wondering why my traffic suddenly jumped and did a bit of googling...

I'm flattered that someone thought it was worth recommending!

You can also find the story on Archive of Our Own with a longer summary: (FFnet has too low character limit)
Quote:
Morey is summoned to a fantasy world under siege by the forces of darkness, called a Hero by the natives. He undertakes a journey to the sword of legend in order to obtain the power to save the world. Unknown to them, they got two 'Heroes' for the price of one.

Dumped into a strange and dangerous fantasy world, Cato struggles to find out what happened to him and where he is. And how to survive, there's still an army of monsters to worry about after all. For the enemy is far more dangerous than anyone had ever figured and without help, there might be no one left to save by the time Morey finds the sword.

Perhaps there are advantages to not being a Hero. And perhaps not all the legends are true...
OP may wish to edit the first post to use this one.

AO3 has better presentation and formatting but FF.net is more popular, so take your pick. I'll follow this thread so any criticism or suggestions can be received here or on the FF.net review system.

I'm curious about these obligatory questions but to answer them with my author's cap on would be spoilers wouldn't it? =P

FYI, I'm shooting for a more MaoYuu / Log Horizon / Ring of Fire style feeling than Shield Hero. The MC has no need for magic or even to be powerful at fighting.
Morey's side is more like a traditional "Hero" route (and hence why he's not the MC).
jseah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 07:36   Link #8
BlackGaruda
Thread Lurker

Like, how is he resourceful, can you cite examples?
I haven't watched MacGyver yet, so I don't know him.

And is he wimpy, aggressive, or just chill?
Old 2015-05-31, 07:43   Link #9
wuhugm
Confused Shark

ooo, the author himself is here an unorthodox MC huh, interesting....

seems to be schemer/tactician MC
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 08:30   Link #10
jseah

If I was writing a character description... note that most of this refers to MC before he arrives in the fantasy world. Some parts of this information may take many chapters before it gets introduced (the engineer bit only comes up in ch26)

Cato Lois
Male

Short black hair and medium height (for Earth). A thin unmuscular young man with too pale skin from staying indoors. Likes to wear loose and unfitting clothing, sees fashion as unnecessary.

Cato was studying to be an engineer before he suddenly awoke in a fantasy world. While not shy, he remains aloof and finds it hard to form emotional connections.
Reads widely, not just fiction but also reference books and wiki-walking. Not lazy but also not too hardworking, has no strong passions to drive him. Anti-social hobbies and not afraid to speak his mind, he makes few friends due to reclusive personality.
Has a highly analytical mind and finds it hard to leave something unknown. "Things Man was not meant to know" irritates him to no end. After arriving in the new world, he's already begun to take notes and muses about what he sees and learns.

----------------

As for examples, I'll say you could summarize the entire first arc with the quote: "Know Thy Enemy".
Old 2015-05-31, 08:33   Link #11
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
If I was writing a character description... note that most of this refers to MC before he arrives in the fantasy world. Some parts of this information may take many chapters before it gets introduced (the engineer bit only comes up in ch26)

Cato Lois
Male

Short black hair and medium height (for Earth). A thin unmuscular young man with too pale skin from staying indoors. Likes to wear loose and unfitting clothing, sees fashion as unnecessary.

Cato was studying to be an engineer before he suddenly awoke in a fantasy world. While not shy, he remains aloof and finds it hard to form emotional connections.
Reads widely, not just fiction but also reference books and wiki-walking. Not lazy but also not too hardworking, has no strong passions to drive him. Anti-social hobbies and not afraid to speak his mind, he makes few friends due to reclusive personality.
Has a highly analytical mind and finds it hard to leave something unknown. "Things Man was not meant to know" irritates him to no end. After arriving in the new world, he's already begun to take notes and muses about what he sees and learns.

----------------

As for examples, I'll say you could summarize the entire first arc with the quote: "Know Thy Enemy".

i see... i expect him to have howitzers as the story goes on... after all Bonaparte said

"God fights on the side with the best artillery"

He doesn't need to be a hero... he can be a legion
Old 2015-05-31, 09:35   Link #12
SineMora
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxus0923 View Post
i see... i expect him to have howitzers as the story goes on... after all Bonaparte said

"God fights on the side with the best artillery"

He doesn't need to be a hero... he can be a legion

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-31, 09:44   Link #13
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SineMora View Post
well said... err.. i mean picture
Old 2015-05-31, 14:42   Link #14
Dart-Sama

OHHHHH i summoned the author? hahaaaaaa
hi jseah!
Old 2015-06-01, 05:57   Link #15
SineMora
Wait for it...

Pardon my blunder, posting using mobile phones is a headache...

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-01, 10:15   Link #16
Dart-Sama

new chapter and...
Spoiler for noooooooo:
Old 2015-06-07, 17:22   Link #17
Dart-Sama

new chapter and...
Spoiler for as expected:
Old 2015-06-09, 03:17   Link #18
jseah

Despite the increase in readership, I still receive almost no criticism or comments. >.>

So, I would like to ask a few questions regarding the writing. Note that not everyone likes the same sort of story, while a vehement... discussion over my story would be all kinds of flattering, I wouldn't like to see forumites kill each other over these differences.

Spoiler for Questions:

Of course, you may not have any specific comments. That's fine too. In which case, I would like to ask you which chapter was your favourite. That's also useful in aggregate.

I also expect any answers/opinions to change over time so feel free to re-answer them as the story progresses.
Old 2015-06-09, 11:10   Link #19
Dart-Sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
Despite the increase in readership, I still receive almost no criticism or comments. >.>

So, I would like to ask a few questions regarding the writing. Note that not everyone likes the same sort of story, while a vehement... discussion over my story would be all kinds of flattering, I wouldn't like to see forumites kill each other over these differences.

Spoiler for Questions:

Of course, you may not have any specific comments. That's fine too. In which case, I would like to ask you which chapter was your favourite. That's also useful in aggregate.

I also expect any answers/opinions to change over time so feel free to re-answer them as the story progresses.
the speed prog is ok, 25 chaps for the intro is sort of canon nodaways.

the tone... we still have no idea about the overall tone of the novel so, no idea how to reply xD, i mean, does he get emotionally scarred in the story, does he get to feel the wrongness of medieval zoociety? does he get grudges? someone tries to erradicate him? etc etc, thats on the dark side, now on the bright side, does he makes life better for ppl somewhere? (this already happened once to the fukas so far) does he impact communities where he goes? does his researchs spread to the world? he makes friends? does he grows a party? does he develops romantic relationships? etc etc

i dont know what to say about side chars, after all there are temporal n permanent side chars, usually u only explain the past n reasons of the permanent ones, usually, as for screen time, thats up to their roll in the novel =P, no good writer is gonna scarcely mention someone impactful for the MC n his life, unless its about someone neglected by the picted environment who accidental n surprisingly affect the story.

setting... discusing that with the target public could be very bad, how about a senior writer, do u have or could u get one to try?

same for the plot, they are practically siames with the setting
Old 2015-06-09, 15:51   Link #20
hyuugalegacy
Otaku, author wannabe

Hm, seems interesting. Okay I'm sold I'll give it a go.

Tags
alternate universe, harem, scientific magic, web novel