AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2018-06-26, 07:05   Link #781
Sixth
Hu Tao

The part where GS and Priestess went shopping is really a cute scene. +1 for Priestess for calling GS out for being a one-liner and GS responds that he will fix that. I am glad that GS is slowly coming out from his shell.

and suddenly, not-goblin monster came from nowhere.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 11:21   Link #782
Morilinde

If we apply our roleplay knowledge what would that be? A beholder? Or what were those things from Baldurs Gate 2 called? Those annoying one which you best fight with summoned skeletons?
You think you have defeated us? You think you have defeated the Master's Chosen? Your efforts are for naught, Prince! We are Domini! I am Domini! We are ethereal! we are eternal! We will fight until the heavens burn and the skies fall
Morilinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 12:07   Link #783
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

A Beholder also call Eye Tyrant are a giant spherical shape monster with a Central Eye and multiple eye stalks. The central eye can nullified all magic, the other eyes have various powers; wound, charm, petrifaction, disintegration, etc. They are intelligent and brutal. A normal AD&D Beholder would the wipe floor with GS and his party.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2018-06-27 at 17:04.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 12:43   Link #784
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
A Beholder also call Eye Tyrant are a giant spherical shape monster with a Central Eye and multiple eye stalks. The central eye can nullified all magic, the other eyes have various powers; wound, charm, petrifaction, denigration, etc. They are intelligent and brutal. A normal AD&D Beholder would the wipe floor with GS and his party.
Pretty sure that a normal D&D Behold would wipe a party of Silvers with bad rolls anyway.

I mean, I remember a standard Behold having at least like 10 different rays, with the last one being outright ddistintegration
Old 2018-06-26, 16:21   Link #785
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I wonder why a new mail would be more expensive than a repair? I mean, it's all hand made anyway, unlike now where automation means there's very little human labor involved in producing standardized items.

Also, does someone remember why GS isn't interested in better quality swords? I remember why he wants short ones, but sharpness sounds like it could be useful against champions and the like.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 20:30   Link #786
Tenzen12

Before GS would cut his way to Champion it would be blunt anyway (irc it takes 3-5 goblins without maintenance before it's unusable) It's better buy cheaper easily replaceable goods then.
Old 2018-06-26, 20:53   Link #787
Twi

Yeah, I mean remember what he does with his swords. He tosses them and usually only retrieves them after the Goblins are dead. The priest lizard had to remind him not to toss his bone blade when he loaned it for that reason.

You don't need to high-end gear for goblin slaying, and in the event he might be killed, he doesn't want them getting their hands on it either.
Old 2018-06-26, 22:18   Link #788
eiyuuou

GS prefers low tier weapons in event he gets killed, all the goblins get are weak equipment and not some magic sword that would make the gobs even stronger.

swords also have the problem of chipping or breaking and will get dulled from blood. in heat of battle, it will not kill more than five, as goblin slayer said. He also uses them as throwing weapons
Old 2018-06-27, 05:19   Link #789
francescoG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuuou View Post
swords also have the problem of chipping or breaking and will get dulled from blood. in heat of battle, it will not kill more than five, as goblin slayer said.
Yes if is a wooden sword. Yes this "story" about sword is just no sense. No razor-type sharpening is necessary. Even an almost "blunt sword" can make considerable wounds even eventually lethal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR9k23U-P10

Last edited by francescoG1; 2018-06-27 at 10:50.
francescoG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 08:48   Link #790
Tenzen12

"Eventually" is keyword here, In battle against hundred pets GS obviously doesn't have time bludgeoning every single goblin with short sword

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2018-06-27 at 09:34.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 09:05   Link #791
KikeLyne

Didn't the dwarf and blacksmith in the main manga give logical explanations? To GS's usual type of equipment.

Also, at worse there is the choice of buying stuff of the departed.
KikeLyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 10:31   Link #792
francescoG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
"Eventually" is keyword here, In battle against hundred pets GS obviously doesn't have time bludgeoning every single goblin with short sword
Hundred? at most few dozens in a single "session" and a sword (even if the steel is bad) don't become "blunt" after only five strike against meat and bones. A hatchets don't become dull after only 5 strike versus wood and wood is far more harder then flesh (bones are fragile). Surely even a "short" sword (GS sword is like a Gladius Hispaniensis with the blade length about 60cm) with hatchet like sharpness is more deadly than a wooden club..

Last edited by francescoG1; 2018-06-27 at 11:03.
Old 2018-06-27, 12:28   Link #793
Tenzen12

That would be certainty true f protagonist were named Wooden Log Slayer, but unfortunately his job isn't that clean. Issue here isn't as you think, about edge getting physically damaged, it get coated with body fat, brain matter and who knows what else.

Also no, cub is better than blunt short sword simply by having larger impact point

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2018-06-27 at 13:54.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 13:27   Link #794
francescoG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
That would be certainty true f protagonist were named Wooden Log Slayer, but unfortunately his job isn't that clean. Issue here isn't as you think, about edge getting physically damaged, it get coated with body fat, brain matter and who knows what else.

Also no, cub is better than blunt shirt sword simply by having larger impact point
This is just random no sense and seem just a "mirror climbing".

You see the video? you can do it with a wooden club? that tatami have the same meat-bone resistence and rapresent an arm or a leg. Is a sword not a knife. No way a "normal" sword can hit only five time before becoming useless
Old 2018-06-27, 14:00   Link #795
Tenzen12

You really should listen more. This is not about body resistance itself nor about edge getting blunt because of it. You are rebuking argument no one made. That's called straw man.
Old 2018-06-27, 15:06   Link #796
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by francescoG1 View Post
This is just random no sense and seem just a "mirror climbing".

You see the video? you can do it with a wooden club? that tatami have the same meat-bone resistence and rapresent an arm or a leg. Is a sword not a knife. No way a "normal" sword can hit only five time before becoming useless
Your comment do not hold in any point because of few reasons:
1 - In the video, you need to realized that the log is sit still and straight waiting for cutting at perfect angle, you will never get the same angle in a fight, we always get better cut from above to below and the ideal slanted to the side to get the most out of the cut, so the cut obviously won't be replicated in a real fight

2 - Meat and bones, they are different from strawmat and wood in that they have elasticity, which kill the force when the cut when inside, it the same reason piercing a piece of silicon so much harder than a thick plank of wood despite the later far more harder, there is a difference between strength and hardness. if you want to make a comparison, use the blunt sword to strike a rubber training doll and see the result, the edge is there to prevent the absorption of force through elasticity, it's more than just tatami mat that tatami have the same meat-bone resistance, go back and learn physics and asking them the different in force and cut absorption of each material, you could punch a tatami pole and they crumble, but you would required far more force to pull of the same feat on human's arm since our muscle spread the damage, unlike wood, and worse, people are moving, a different in angle or opposing force can easily make your sword go off the target point

3 - Location of the strike, you see when you try to make a cut from above to below, if the target suddenly crouch down, even if the hit is still on the same path, the force lessen, since the arm muscle is only produced force for a pointed distance and direction, if the target is off, the force is escaped, same reason apply to why a missed slash or punch is much more tiring compare to one that hit. an ideal when you can hit the target as sitting duck don't exist, so you can only expect so much force, which again, relies on the sharpness of weapon to compensate for it. a blunt sword can damage, sure, anything can be a weapon with enough force behind it, the whole reason a sword was made is it so that it could cause damage with less force. Going into context, Goblin is the size of you legs at most, you honestly thinking you can perform a slash as wide as the guy in video, go on googling kendo fastest strike, they all hit under 1 sec, and look careful at their motion, no one actually would raise a sword completely over to the back to strike in a real fight, the opponent would just pierce him or make a smaller cut to the head

Frankly your post show that you don't know about martial art of how sword vector and cut is made, the video is as true trying to stab with a pen with enough force can cause the same damage as the knife. How much you have to expend your energy, how fast can the weapon strike are all matter
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 17:48   Link #797
francescoG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
no one actually would raise a sword completely over to the back to strike in a real fight, the opponent would just pierce him or make a smaller cut to the head
No one just idiot like fiore dei liberi, Liechtenauer etc

Example of high guards: Posta di donna, Posta di fenestra, Posta di donna la sinestra, Posta di Falcone, Posta di donna sovrana e altera, Ochs, Vom Dach/Vom Tag, jodan no kamae etc..

Certainly better not to generalize. Sure John Clements (ARMA director) in that video has a little exaggerated....
Old 2018-06-28, 00:15   Link #798
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by francescoG1 View Post
No one just idiot like fiore dei liberi, Liechtenauer etc

Example of high guards: Posta di donna, Posta di fenestra, Posta di donna la sinestra, Posta di Falcone, Posta di donna sovrana e altera, Ochs, Vom Dach/Vom Tag, jodan no kamae etc..

Certainly better not to generalize. Sure John Clements (ARMA director) in that video has a little exaggerated....
No because they are form, not actual combat skill, take example kendo, they teach us to always raise the sword over head in a slanted degree of 45 in proportion to you head, there is also form where you put the sword all over to the back while swing to practice your muscle. when you are in a real match, maintain the form is extremely hard due to the nature of movements, as a matter of fact, anyone who practice sword would definitely know a more miniaturise form

the Posta di donna is both a form and a stance, which again, hardly work in a real fight, the form is indeed in theory, capable of high level defend and countering but, it is in a lot argument in an actual fight
For your interest, there is a post in sword forum debate the actual nature of the tech, here for your information, and i'm pretty sure there guy know more about the poses than you do, consider they are actually try to practice it. Fiore and Vadi is also mentioned a lot, with question consider the very nature of their sword. The idea is to do the opponent the most damage while putting as little of yourself in harms way is the most reasonable, which would obviously work if you are in a 1 on 1 match. when you have 5 or 6 goblin sic on you ??? yeah, as if they give you the time get back on your stance. go learn actual swordmanship and test them out with the timer before writing the fact
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-28, 01:34   Link #799
Tenzen12

These stances are practical, but in fight they are usable only once, ie on very beginning of battle, because assuming form already take preccious time that enemy can use to attack. Same goes with wide swings. ANY attack, defense or stance are only effective if they can be use freely, which is obviously not this case.

Watching youtube videos is fine, there is lot of interesting facts to find, but
a)It's not always reliable. Anyone can make video and put it there
b)Amateurs missinterpret what they see or more importantly what they don't see.
Old 2018-06-28, 11:02   Link #800
eiyuuou

I can only say.
do a butcher's job with a sword on unsupported targets for a while and I want you to do it quickly slaughtering a day's quota, not in a slow and steady 1v1 stance. you'll see.

sure, you can cut down a single crucified gob like the thing in the video
but I think someone assumes this is some turn based game where gobs will wait their turn to nick you and not stab you through while you beat down one gob.

Tags
dark fantasy, harem, mature content, tragedy