AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-12-15, 21:29   Link #41
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Spoiler for Volume 2:

EDIT: Pfft, the omake's actually pretty good. Please note that the so-called "previews" in the last two pages are jokes (there's a note on the last page that says that). The "preview" had things like "The Curry Faction VS The Gyudon Faction!!", Yuki's weight troubles, and... Koyuki suddenly snapping and being totally cruel to Toru (final panel: "Hey, you NEET. You're standing out too much.").
... That's a pretty heavy spoiler. Now I'm not certain if I can wait for the translations...

The Omakes I think were pretty hilarious. I didn't know that the previews were jokes, I seriously thought that there was going to be a chapter about the little ducky the guy was holding Still, that would be a fun chapter, don't you think?
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 00:02   Link #42
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
... That's a pretty heavy spoiler. Now I'm not certain if I can wait for the translations...

The Omakes I think were pretty hilarious. I didn't know that the previews were jokes, I seriously thought that there was going to be a chapter about the little ducky the guy was holding Still, that would be a fun chapter, don't you think?
Oh dear, I'm sorry. This is why I kept my mouth shut until somebody else posted about reading ahead first. I knew spoiler tags don't exactly stop people... >_>;;
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 10:10   Link #43
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Oh dear, I'm sorry. This is why I kept my mouth shut until somebody else posted about reading ahead first. I knew spoiler tags don't exactly stop people... >_>;;
No, No, it's not that I'm disappointed at being spoiled. I'm quite happy actually. It's my choice to spoil myself either way. I'm glad you spoiled me, I just now can't wait to see more translated chapters, which is a good thing... right?
Old 2010-12-17, 20:20   Link #44
Solecs

Just started reading the translated chapters and am enjoying it for the most part. The only complaints I have are some plot issues.

Like everyone else, the situation with Yuki didn't ring with me. It wasn't bad, but it felt underdeveloped. Also the iris powers are going to cause some plot holes/contradictions. They're a bit overpowered and inconsistent so far. I mean Yuki should have been able to tell if the landlady in chapter 4 was lying about the bathroom stall, no?

Very, very tempted to read that spoiler but I'll try to keep myself in check .
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 20:54   Link #45
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
Just started reading the translated chapters and am enjoying it for the most part. The only complaints I have are some plot issues.

Like everyone else, the situation with Yuki didn't ring with me. It wasn't bad, but it felt underdeveloped. Also the iris powers are going to cause some plot holes/contradictions. They're a bit overpowered and inconsistent so far. I mean Yuki should have been able to tell if the landlady in chapter 4 was lying about the bathroom stall, no?

But the landlady wasn't lieing, she was telling them rumors. Besides, Yuki is so scared of ghosts, I don't think it ever occurred to her to check.
Old 2010-12-17, 21:23   Link #46
Solecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
But the landlady wasn't lieing, she was telling them rumors. Besides, Yuki is so scared of ghosts, I don't think it ever occurred to her to check.
From what I got of Toru's deduction the landlady made up the story to protect the squirrels. I suppose I could buy Yuki being too freaked to check, but she seems pretty anal retentive about checking for tails.

Regardless, I'm just being nitpicky. In this kind of story I fully expect inconsistencies in power/ability usage and try not to let it bother me.

On an unrelated note, I would expect Hijiri's iris to involve death somehow. Somehow butterflies always connect to death. At least that's how it seems to work out. That's pretty common right .
Old 2010-12-17, 21:57   Link #47
outerelf

Quote:
Somehow butterflies always connect to death. At least that's how it seems to work out. That's pretty common right .
That's right, because in Japan, the butterfly is a symbol of the cycle of life. Thus it's meaning is both life and death, but it is mostly used to symbolize death. In other cultures however, butterflies represent a variety of things including souls, memories, uncaring, carefree personalities... It really does vary.
Old 2010-12-17, 22:23   Link #48
Solecs

Good to know I wasn't just imagining the connection. It does feel like the symbolism comes up a lot in anime/manga.

I've only ever seen them as symbols of change or beauty, not sure if that's a cultural thing or not here in the US.
Old 2010-12-17, 23:56   Link #49
Shadow5YA

Quote:

The landlady never explicitly stated it was a ghost. She talked about how one of the stalls couldn't be opened and how weeping sounds could be heard from the inside at night. All of that is true.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 00:24   Link #50
Sleepy Speculator
sleepy

plus i could be wrong but wasn't the old landlady wearing a robe/kimono/dress thing that would be long enough to hide a tail, even an iris related one? Whereas everyone else seems to be in a skirt or trousers so far?

Biki Biki Biki Biki... (raaarrrggghhh!!! i need some coffee!)
Sleepy Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 14:46   Link #51
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

And clearly, Ala Atra realized that this is a two-shot of awesome, so they released both.

Time to read that...
Old 2010-12-25, 16:37   Link #52
KrimzonStriker

And this is what I really like about series that take a persons preconceived notions and turns it around, enhancing the overall genre as a whole. Overall these were some pretty deep chapters, though I'm left rather unsatisfied by the end of Hijiri's story, so I hope he manages to find his own happiness at some point, especially as the story moves forward, although I'm rather glad he dumped his former brunette friend given the stunt she tried to pull.
Old 2010-12-25, 18:30   Link #53
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Awesome, two chapters of Iris Zero! Many thanks for Ala Atra and Simple scans for this Christmas present. So, this is mostly a flashback detailing Hijiri's past...

Spoiler for Chapter 5-6:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
The landlady never explicitly stated it was a ghost. She talked about how one of the stalls couldn't be opened and how weeping sounds could be heard from the inside at night. All of that is true.
Yep, in the character explanation in the the 2nd volume (chapter 5) it's explicitly stated that her Iris only applies when it's a direct lie, but not always when things are wrong. And yeah, with the way the landlady says it, technically she's not saying a lie...
Old 2010-12-25, 19:46   Link #54
Jze0
Hmmm...

Started reading this casually but the recent two chapters have made this one of my favorites. I really love how the main character is so preceptive of his surroundings, makes him that more awesome. Its also makes me wish alot more characters were like Toru, they are far and few inbetween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
although I'm rather glad he dumped his former brunette friend given the stunt she tried to pull.
I don't know why but I get the feeling that she might appear again later in the series.
Old 2010-12-25, 20:19   Link #55
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jze0 View Post
I don't know why but I get the feeling that she might appear again later in the series.
I somehow get that feeling as well but still I actually really liked how he ended that "friendship" he simply didn't want anything to do with her anymore and just didn't show up.
I don't need to know that he would meet up with her again and say some sorta soap oprea speech about whatever.

But man Toru's sixth sense is really starting to sharpen, I loved how he "went for a walk"

thank god we got the 2 chapters wrapping up this little story, I would have gone nuts waiting for the 2nd part!
Old 2010-12-25, 20:19   Link #56
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post

Spoiler for Chapter 5-6:
Spoiler for My personal opinion on your question:
Old 2010-12-25, 22:26   Link #57
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Spoiler for ch 6:

Quote:
Spoiler for Chapter 5-6:
Spoiler for Speculation:
Old 2010-12-26, 00:10   Link #58
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
and only become Toru's fangirls.
Sixth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 02:15   Link #59
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Awesome, two chapters of Iris Zero! Many thanks for Ala Atra and Simple scans for this Christmas present. So, this is mostly a flashback detailing Hijiri's past...

Spoiler for Chapter 5-6:

Yep, in the character explanation in the the 2nd volume (chapter 5) it's explicitly stated that her Iris only applies when it's a direct lie, but not always when things are wrong. And yeah, with the way the landlady says it, technically she's not saying a lie...
Spoiler for ch5-6:
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 04:24   Link #60
BitColdSnow

I wanna see some relationship-building between the new gang soon, a few moments where Toru won't be too afraid to hang out and chat like if it's outside of school since there's less likely to be people he knows there. Majority of adults also still don't have irises so they hopefully wouldn't care.
BitColdSnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, romance, seinen, shounen