AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 09:11   Link #7601
madmac

Sigh...

Quote:
Anyway, let's get back to discussing the actual chapter. I wonder when they're gonna get back to the doujin plot....
Relatively soon, I imagine. This chapter felt like an easy way for Hata to quickly show-case the new residents so that he can get back to the plot with minimal interruption. (And also a nice breather from the longer story arcs.)

Also, with Alice not having Athena's memories and confirmed long term status (3 months) she's much less of a plot driver right now then everyone was expecting at first. She'll tie into the overall plot, undoubtedly, but she's not so critical that I see a lot of stories surrounding her right now. (She did get kind of left out of 303 though, so maybe the next chapter will be about her.)

On the other hand, we've got a good number of days to get through before catching up with the flash forward, so I'd expect plenty of diversions between bursts of Nagi-centric plot/character development.

Hmmm...There should still be at least one room available, so it's not impossible that Luca moves in at some point. Her and Nagi have to start interacting eventually, after all.

Last edited by madmac; 2011-01-14 at 09:23.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:18   Link #7602
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Hmmm...There should still be at least one room available, so it's not impossible that Luca moves in at some point. Her and Nagi have to start interacting eventually, after all.
If I remember correctly, it looked at one point like Chiharu was planning to get Luca a room in the apartment. Something about helping her pay for it, I think....

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:27   Link #7603
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Athena's memory lost case is ambiguously presented. She seems to be well aware of who Hayate and Aiki are (which could be the memories at least to EotW arc time period), but she also seems to realize that her plight with Hayate has been solved which is a recent memory of Athena Tennousu. It seems to me that a particular part of her memories was intentionally wipe out.

I mean, what was she referring to when she said something like to "regain the memories of Athena Tennous?" What "memories" was she speaking of? How was losing her memories affect her power, vice versa? It would be nice her if the memories she was referring to are of her origin which could be relating to her lost of power. I'm dying to know more about Athena's background.

And, I'm curious of who "that person" is that told Athena about the power spot location.

I guess I would have to wait for the answers until the arc with Luca is finished, although I don't mind seeing more Luca.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:50   Link #7604
madmac

Quote:
Athena's memory lost case is ambiguously presented. She seems to be well aware of who Hayate and Aiki are (which could be the memories at least to EotW arc time period), but she also seems to realize that her plight with Hayate has been solved which is a recent memory of Athena Tennousu. It seems to me that a particular part of her memories was intentionally wipe out.
I'm not sure she even remembers that much. Aika seemed to be coaching in her in what to say/do in Chapter 300, and she hasn't really said/done anything yet that would require prior knowledge.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, it looked at one point like Chiharu was planning to get Luca a room in the apartment. Something about helping her pay for it, I think....
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Chiharu offering to sell her doujinshi for her. Still, Luca is apparently broke, so it can't be that hard to come up with an excuse to have her move in.

As for the flashforward---Chapter 303 should have covered May 24th, so there's about 18 days left. If we get a lot of day by day stories rather then longer arcs, that could go by quicker then you'd think.
Old 2011-01-14, 12:56   Link #7605
GDB

Quote:
As for the flashforward---Chapter 303 should have covered May 24th, so there's about 18 days left. If we get a lot of day by day stories rather then longer arcs, that could go by quicker then you'd think.
Even day by day stories, if they only covered one day each, would still be about 4 months.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 13:20   Link #7606
madmac

Quote:
Even day by day stories, if they only covered one day each, would still be about 4 months.
Heh. "Fast" has it's own meaning when it comes to this manga...Four months would mean we'd get there by summer, which for Hata, isn't so bad, really.

That said, I expect a mix of day to day and ongoing stories. Nagi's storyline is shaping up to be something that requires too much time to be covered continuously, which probably makes the apartment setup convenient. It lets Hata do one-off stories that (mostly) focus on other characters without leaving her out of the picture entirely.
Old 2011-01-14, 14:02   Link #7607
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
I'm not sure she even remembers that much. Aika seemed to be coaching in her in what to say/do in Chapter 300, and she hasn't really said/done anything yet that would require prior knowledge.
I stand corrected.

I guess Alice calling Hayate's first name so casually without any honorific and retaining her mischievous side caught me off guard. Looking back on chapter 301, I noticed that Alice has a note pad with some kinds of information left behind by Athena to give Aiki hints/instructions on what to do. I supposed Aiki now knows about Hayate and Athena's past relationship including the ring.

Nevertheless, the hidden factors behind her memory and power lost still make me curious.
Old 2011-01-14, 14:07   Link #7608
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Aika is coaching Alice but Aika herself was coach by A-tan.
Old 2011-01-14, 15:25   Link #7609
madmac

Quote:
Aika is coaching Alice but Aika herself was coach by A-tan.
Naturally. The point I'm trying to make is that with (apparently) no memories, "Alice" isn't really Athena and should probably be considered a different character. It's more like she's a potential Athena if Athena was given the chance to redo her childhood.

Most likely, after three months, Alice will be different enough from Athena that when the personalities merge, Athena won't be exactly the same person she was earlier either.

If you go back, this was all foreshadowed pretty heavily. Isumi told Hayate that if Athena merged with Midas she would lose her memories and become a different person and even Hayate couldn't help but wonder for a moment if that wouldn't be a net positive for her, tragic childhood memories and never learning the power of friendship and what have you.
Old 2011-01-14, 15:53   Link #7610
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Naturally. The point I'm trying to make is that with (apparently) no memories, "Alice" isn't really Athena and should probably be considered a different character. It's more like she's a potential Athena if Athena was given the chance to redo her childhood.

Most likely, after three months, Alice will be different enough from Athena that when the personalities merge, Athena won't be exactly the same person she was earlier either.

If you go back, this was all foreshadowed pretty heavily. Isumi told Hayate that if Athena merged with Midas she would lose her memories and become a different person and even Hayate couldn't help but wonder for a moment if that wouldn't be a net positive for her, tragic childhood memories and never learning the power of friendship and what have you.
I don't think Alice will change from being "Athena Tennousu," especially not from merely 3 months. Although Alice doesn't have the memories of "Athena Tennousu," she knows the existence of Athena and is trying to become Athena once again by obtaining her lost memories.

O wow. This sounds exactly like the case for the heroine "Alice" from Pandora Heart regarding searching for her memories. I wonder if it's merely a coincidence that the mini-Athena is also called Alice, or did Hata just took the idea from Pandora Heart.
Old 2011-01-14, 17:07   Link #7611
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Chiharu offering to sell her doujinshi for her. Still, Luca is apparently broke, so it can't be that hard to come up with an excuse to have her move in.
Luca is an idol, being an idol and having money issues doesn't really work. I'm thinking that even the scene of her looking at the debt paper was before she'd begun being an idol, which it's hinted she's been for a while.

I also thought Aika was moving into the apartment, so it had gotten three new tennants, Alice (I do see her as a different character, similar to Hermione being different from Hayate), Hinagiku and Aika, along with Chiharu and possibly Yozora having rooms (I seem to remember that she'd gotten one, and hasn't technically given it up) and the Father occupying one, that should be a full house. Hayate and Nagi/Maria filling two rooms as permanent residents.
If I'm wrong about one of the ones I'm unsure about, that would give room for Luca to move in and fill the apartment.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 18:19   Link #7612
Used Can

If I remember correctly, Yozora got kicked out.
Old 2011-01-14, 18:38   Link #7613
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
If I remember correctly, Yozora got kicked out.
Can you remember what for?
I remember her bribing Nagi for a room, but she doesn't seem to need to stay around anymore, so her leaving would make sense.
Was there even a reason for her getting a room? Since her goal had seemed to be getting the picture back, but she didn't need a room for that, since she'd decided to attack Hayate instead.

... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Old 2011-01-14, 19:06   Link #7614
GlassesLady
dat apple

Nope. Yozora tried to get a room, but then she went on a bit too long about her meeting with Hayate being 'destined' or whatever and Nagi told her to get out. And if she's not coming back, there's no reason for Nagi to keep a room for her, anyway.

Old 2011-01-14, 19:32   Link #7615
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
Nope. Yozora tried to get a room, but then she went on a bit too long about her meeting with Hayate being 'destined' or whatever and Nagi told her to get out. And if she's not coming back, there's no reason for Nagi to keep a room for her, anyway.
Nagi and the 'stranger to subtly' routine. Maybe she hasn't had as much character growth as I'd thought XD

I doubt we've seen the last of Yozora though, for one, she's been given a name, and then there's her mysterious employer.

Anyway, there does seem to be a room open for Luca to move into if she wants. Wonder how long it'll take for the 'bridget to be dropped on her'(t).

Old 2011-01-14, 20:51   Link #7616
JMvS
Rawrrr!

A bit OT, but what is the quality of the Viz edition?

I'm asking because the French edition in my opinion is Godawful: the editor clearly has very uneven proofreading (not that bad, just total failure with the use of French honorifics and level of speech, which makes all character discourse look kinda mechanical, plus the usual weird narrative alterations and messed up text bubbles).

...can't stand anymore to read ojou-sama translated as princess all over, when a deferent Mademoiselle would have been perfect...

A pity since their edition of Keroro Gunsou was pretty spot on (despite a format change midway...).
Old 2011-01-14, 21:15   Link #7617
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post

I'm asking because the French edition in my opinion is Godawful: the editor clearly has very uneven proofreading (not that bad, just total failure with the use of French honorifics and level of speech, which makes all character discourse look kinda mechanical, plus the usual weird narrative alterations and messed up text bubbles).

...can't stand anymore to read ojou-sama translated as princess all over, when a deferent Mademoiselle would have been perfect...
I don't have any issue with the Vis (English) version of it, it doesn't seem to be bad, besides some mistranslations that have to do with the word used in Japanese not existing in English. Sometimes the translations actually improve on the fansubs, I believe there's a Death Note reference early on that Viz left in while the online versions took it out.
They seem to take effort to leave as much of the original meaning in the words, which is a good thing for a series based on parody and comedy.

I think they leave the honorifics as well, since they're more the names of the characters to the given person as opposed to titles tacked on to the character's name. Ojou-sama is Nagi's 'name' according to Hayate, maybe nickname, and the translators seem to stick with that mindset for the English translation.
I seem to remember seeing somewhere (I think it was the character profile) where Hata said that Maria would switch between using 'Nagi' to 'Ojou-sama', which doesn't seem to have made the transition, but I don't see the quality drop because of such things.

Old 2011-01-14, 22:00   Link #7618
GlassesLady
dat apple

Actually, I don't remember seeing Maria call Nagi 'ojou-sama' in the fan translations either, so Viz might be right about that.

Old 2011-01-14, 22:32   Link #7619
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Well, it appears natural for the relation between Maria and Nagi to be familiar, as they almost grew up together, and Maria is for Nagi a Mother/Big Sister substitute.

Another of my rants on the French edition is that they make Hayate and Maria use a too familiar speech when addressing each other (resulting in weirdly dissonant discourse)... ... when it's clear that their junior-senior interactions are much more formal (and that there are ways of rendering that in French ).

Oh well... perhaps I'm a an old-fashioned relic, as I am used to formal speech and addressing peoples by their surname, and they adapted it to the more familiar and modern ways of speech of nowadays youngsters.
Old 2011-01-14, 22:35   Link #7620
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Quite good. It keeps the honorifics and such, even has Hayate call Nagi "Ojou-sama" (though it uses a ^ over the second o, and no u, but same thing).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen