AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-10-20, 00:32   Link #181
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

The banners idea sound interesting, if we remove the rule of "Under AS limits" It would be more competitive, and with the "FREE THEME" Even more

Just a question:

In the SOTM the wiiner chooses the next theme, the winner of this special contest will do what?
Old 2008-10-20, 00:58   Link #182
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
The banners idea sound interesting, if we remove the rule of "Under AS limits" It would be more competitive, and with the "FREE THEME" Even more
If the banner competition is held in a similar fashion as previous editions, then the limits and the theme must be decided beforehand.

The limits are different from the ones in sigs and there are even more restrictions such as proper blending and a fixed gradient to use as your background. Of course, those rules only apply if the competition where to be held as the ones before it.
Old 2008-10-20, 02:52   Link #183
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by markesellus View Post
The banner contest sounds cool but it seems like it would be a bit of a hassle to get going.
If it was decided we'd go with a banner contest, it wouldn't be hard to set up. We already have a framework in place from previous banner contests.

Quote:
Also The dual theme sounds cool. Kind of like Battle of the Sigs. Lol. How are we going to decide the two themes though? With the winners from the previous month and then the winner from December picks January?
The winner of November picks the theme for January. The theme for the December contest would be a community polling. Battle of the Sigs does sound cool though. Perhaps a bit too much work this close to the end of the year, but we'll see.

Quote:
In the SOTM the winner chooses the next theme, the winner of this special contest will do what?
That's something we'll have to work out. Haven't ironed that out yet, which is why I'm starting this discussion a month before we start the contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Not saying the wallpaper idea is the best idea, it's just a suggestion.
It's not a bad idea either. In fact I hadn't thought of that. I'll toss it into the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
If the banner competition is held in a similar fashion as previous editions, then the limits and the theme must be decided beforehand.

The limits are different from the ones in sigs and there are even more restrictions such as proper blending and a fixed gradient to use as your background. Of course, those rules only apply if the competition where to be held as the ones before it.
If we were to do a full scale banner comp the rules would be pretty much the same as previous comps. Since there's already a nice established framework I don't think it would be prudent to go messing with the formula.
Old 2008-10-22, 06:31   Link #184
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
Oh, no December theme ><? If there was one, there would've really good themes for that month, like Christmas or snowmans <-- just throwing an example. But whats the point of having Signature of the year without the best month of the year in it (of course :P, its obvious why I said that ).

But whatever, it is your decision, and I can't stop it ><. And the banner contest sounds pretty cool, especially if there isn't a limit in it. That would make me happy and a whole lot of people.
Old 2008-10-23, 22:08   Link #185
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

@Solace: How about puting all the sigs who win the SOTM to votation to choose the sig of the year?
Old 2008-10-23, 23:24   Link #186
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

@Evil Rick: Approved!

(Am I actually allowed to write such a short post?)
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 00:09   Link #187
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

As a reply to Evil Rick's post, I'll make note of what mimi_girl pointed out: what is the point of a 'sig of the year' competition if we're missing december (also january to get technical). If we did decide to do a sig of the year, it feels like it would be better to do that in january along with the january sig of the month. Part of why I say this is because although I think a sig of the year would be really cool, it axes out the excitement of creation and entry. The reason why I enjoy the normal monthly competitions so much is because of all the build up to them, and by taking out the initial stage I think I'd feel less motivated for the overall outcome.
I'm still hoping for a banner competition since I've been wanting to participate in one ever since I first came to AnimeSuki and first got into graphic designing. I can wait until the next time there is another official banner competition, but I'm just wishing and hoping for an earlier one

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 20:54   Link #188
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi_girl View Post
But whatever, it is your decision, and I can't stop it ><.
It's not solely my decision. If it was I wouldn't be asking people what they think, I'd just go ahead and do whatever I wanted.

Quote:
@Solace: How about puting all the sigs who win the SOTM to votation to choose the sig of the year?
I'd rather not. Reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
Part of why I say this is because although I think a sig of the year would be really cool, it axes out the excitement of creation and entry. The reason why I enjoy the normal monthly competitions so much is because of all the build up to them, and by taking out the initial stage I think I'd feel less motivated for the overall outcome.
Although, I do think we need a showcase of winning signatures. Cicido posted one a few pages back but it's a little out of date now.

Anyway, there's a lot of interest in a banner contest I see...so far it seems to be the most popular idea. Would like to hear more suggestions, comments, ideas, etc., before proposing something more official.
Old 2008-10-25, 21:34   Link #189
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
A dual theme SOTM. Basically, create two themes and have sign ups to create two teams, one for each theme. Have two voting phases. The first voting phase, people pick the best entry from each team. The second voting phase, pit the entries against each other.
The number four gave me a interesting idea, we could have members making team lets say four or three. And there lets say there are 5 teams, each member in the team will have different theme and the people with the same theme will compete against each other. So there will be four theme if there is 4 members. And we could have point system, lets say the team 1 got 5 vote for the first theme, 4 vote for second theme, 6 for the third theme, and 7 for the fourth theme. So in total they have 22points and the team with the most point win.
This will be difficult and annoying to carry out, not only that there will be few problems such as one member fail to make a sig. But I think this might be fun if we could do it.
Old 2008-10-29, 02:18   Link #190
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Oh god... Solace is gonna have a fun time organizing that >.<

But a dual theme sounds fun. Though I think of a dual theme in one image is much more interesting than 2 theme, 2 images. The combination and creative way the person intergrate them would be more interesting to me.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 05:55   Link #191
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Oh god... Solace is gonna have a fun time organizing that >.<
Indeed. An interesting idea, but sounds like a nightmare to pull off properly.

Quote:
But a dual theme sounds fun. Though I think of a dual theme in one image is much more interesting than 2 theme, 2 images. The combination and creative way the person intergrate them would be more interesting to me.
Also an interesting idea. Maybe have the November winner pick one part of the theme, and then make a poll of all the themes we've had this year and let the community pick the second theme to go with it?
Old 2008-10-31, 13:18   Link #192
escimo
Paparazzi

Here's an idea.
No filesize limit and you could pick one of the previous themes. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who got a few bald spots during the past months, fighting with the filesize and there are a a couple of themes I'd like to revisit. Submitting a previous entry wouldn't be allowed.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 21:11   Link #193
The_Artist
Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
Here's an idea.
No filesize limit and you could pick one of the previous themes. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who got a few bald spots during the past months, fighting with the filesize and there are a a couple of themes I'd like to revisit. Submitting a previous entry wouldn't be allowed.
Could not agree more.
The_Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 23:07   Link #194
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

How about Animsekui banner withy Christmas theme?
Old 2008-10-31, 23:17   Link #195
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
How about Animsekui banner withy Christmas theme?
I am under the impression that the mods would prefer a set of banners that could be used for a longer period of time (wich was also mentioned a page ago)

Of course, that's just what I think.

I am also a bit dissapointed that the mods didn't switch to the already existing hallowen set. I mean, it's halloween, so why not use it.
Old 2008-11-01, 04:48   Link #196
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I believe that's only the case based on observation of the push behind the last banner theme, which was to replace the winter contest banners we had previously (something about it being nice out, so why have snow).

Personally I'd like to do another banner contest if for nothing but the sake of refreshing the forums and because people just like to do them because they're fun.

Here's what we have so far:
  1. A banner contest
  2. A "no limits" SOTM. Relax the limits on the size and dimensions of the entries but with the condition that the entries could not be used as forum signatures. Possibilities for theme include "no theme", "previous SOTM theme", or "dual theme in one signature"
  3. a wallpaper contest
Old 2008-11-01, 14:38   Link #197
markesellus
Undercover Mole
*Graphic Designer

Personally I like option 2 a lot because there is so much you can do with it. No theme sounds cool actually. Let's see what people will come up with. but I was hoping for Battle of the Sigs!

markesellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-01, 14:41   Link #198
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I mean, it's halloween, so why not use it.
No one reminded me/us and it isn't/wasn't a top priority so didn't get thought about
Quote:
Originally Posted by markesellus View Post
I like option 2 a lot because there is so much you can do with it.
I would second that if it weren't for the fact that a relaxation of the size limit would make the signatures unusable here. Other rule changes would work, such as no theme, but then would the scope of choice actually make the contest less interesting? I believe too much choice/freedom in this context could be detrimental to creativity. No problem with a banner or wall paper contest, per se, but it would be nice if there were more of a twist to it. Banners would need a degree of staff approval to be installed up top. As an aside, I would really like to see if Kairin could be woven into the mix Though that may be wishful thinking on my part
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-01, 15:40   Link #199
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
As an aside, I would really like to see if Kairin could be woven into the mix Though that may be wishful thinking on my part
We could have a "Where's Kairin?" theme for December...

The contest would be to see who can hide Kairin somewhere in their no theme sig the best (file size and limit tbd).

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-01, 16:40   Link #200
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
No one reminded me/us and it isn't/wasn't a top priority so didn't get thought about
I almost started a thread about this a week ago..................almost.

I'll keep it in mind comes next year.

Oh and the banner contest is the only competition I would feel like joining; So here's hoping for that idea to make it through.

Tags
contest, signature, sotm