AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-04-30, 18:51   Link #21
uberWTFpwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Precisely how far is the manga in raws in comparison to whats translated of the LN and how how is is whats been translated of the manga in comparison to the LN.

I've read the first chapter of manga but I have no idea whether I should just stick with with or start reading the LN.
If i were you i would read the light novel. Manga are easier to read but they leave out so much freaken detail it makes me wanan cry. I remember when i read the harry potter series i was like nice, but when i saw the movies of harry potter they were terrible although my perspective have been warped since i read the book. If i didn't read the book i would say the movies are great but idk i like detail over fast depiction of information/ data.

So to make a sweet and short, yes read the light novel if i were you. I think the translation will be coming out faster than the manga (Don't quote me on that)
uberWTFpwned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 10:40   Link #22
rpapo

I hadn't realized the conversation here had resumed, and was just checking randomly.

Anyway, with regards to the LN translation, it proceeds in my spare time. I've got a job, home and family, so I typically only get an hour or two per day to work on this stuff. That's typically good for about five pages of the original book per week.

I am helping out the manga scanlators as well, though mostly by proofreading their translation. I didn't even know they were working on it until last week. Here is a summary of the chapters so far:

(1) Introduction, from Banri meeting Mitsuo through to the part where Linda throws Banri a kiss after rescuing him from the samba dancers. LN Volume 1, chapter 1.
(2) Banri finding Kouko in the hallway at school, isolated. This chapters proceeds to where the cultist drags the two of them off to a coffee shop. This chapter includes the conversation between Banri and Mitsuo about beautiful people and the advantages they have. LN Volume 1, chapter 2.
(3) Banri and Kouko meet up in front of the university, along with others, to go to the so-called training camp. Includes a flashback to how they were railroaded into coming. At the end, it is revealed they are trapped in the cultist's church. LN Volume 1, start of chapter 3.
(4) Further adventures in the cultist's church, culminating with their escape into the woods at night.
(5) Banri and Kouko in the mountain woods at night. This is mostly a long conversation.
(6) Still in the woods. At the end, Linda finds them out there and Banri realizes she was one who rescued him from the samba dancers. To the end of LN book 1, chapter 3.
(7) Enter Chinami. Kouko has a melt down seeing her and Mitsuo together. This will be the first chapter of the tankobon volume 2, and corresponds to the first part of the LN book 1, chapter 4.
(8) Linda takes Banri and Kouko out to lunch, and then to the Extras club practice session. Almost all of the rest of LN book 1, chapter 4.

Last edited by rpapo; 2012-05-03 at 18:15. Reason: More details.
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 10:45   Link #23
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberWTFpwned View Post
I think the translation will be coming out faster than the manga (Don't quote me on that)
Unfortunately not. It took me 16 months to translate volume 1, and in seven monthly installments they are about two/thirds through volume 1 in the manga already. At this rate by this summer, or by fall at latest, the manga will be ahead of my translation. Granted, I'm faster now than when I started on the book, but Takemiya can still write faster than I can translate her writing.
Old 2012-05-01, 10:58   Link #24
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

^Thanks rpapo. Will be waiting patiently for volume 2...
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 21:45   Link #25
larethian

I just bought this recently.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 03:35   Link #26
Gehenna

Thanks for the answers and such and thanks again rpapo for translating volume 1, regardless of how long it takes, I for one will be having a read. Also thanks for answering my question about Kouko .
Gehenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 03:54   Link #27
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Planning to do some translating for it? ...
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 11:21   Link #28
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I sense a future change of either AV or Tag, I mean, Kouko is a great character, in many senses
Old 2012-06-08, 14:18   Link #29
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

So been reading the manga for this and it's pretty interesting stuff.
I think it's fairly easy to guess or form an idea of where things could go but should be a fun ride and hope to see a few juicy twists and turns to come.

For the cast, let's see so far Kouko is the most interesting part of this story, with her obsession of Mitsuo to her kinda odd nature to her gorgeous looks(while the art isn't exactly oh wow, it's very good and does a great job of portraying Kouko's beauty).
I really quite like her alot, weird, abit stuck up and kinda clueless but as Banri puts it "I like pretty ones!"

Banri is quite amusing, he isn't some stand out guy but he ain't some nobody either. Nice balance of a normal simple guy I'd say.
Seems he has, like any other guy probably would have a natural attraction to Kouko which is a nice thing. It's not quite love(yet at least) but just simple attraction to what one could consider attractive.

Mitsuo's well he ain't had much screen time so he's just what he is, a nervous wreck when it comes to Kouko but seems like a decent guy since he's been putting up with such a girl for so long.

Looking forward to more of the manga and started reading the LN but only got through half of the ch1 atm.
Seems I find reading novels on a computer screen isn't to my liking as I do with an actual book in my hands>__<
Old 2012-06-08, 15:02   Link #30
blade82

the most interesting part for me is Banri's ghost that narrate the story
its a ghost of his dead body from the futur or just his floating memory from the accident one year ago???
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 15:18   Link #31
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Looking forward to more of the manga and started reading the LN but only got through half of the ch1 atm.
Seems I find reading novels on a computer screen isn't to my liking as I do with an actual book in my hands>__<
You can download an EPUB or MOBI version of it, if you prefer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82
the most interesting part for me is Banri's ghost that narrate the story. Its a ghost of his dead body from the future or just his floating memory from the accident one year ago???
He insists he is Banri from before his accident, and carries all the memories from before that time. He has a slightly different personality from the present Banri, a little more masculine and at the same time more carefree and more wise. Nice paradox, that.

From what I understand, there will be a short time in the fourth book where the two will be reunited for a while, but for now the present Banri fears the return of his memories, because he fears his present self will effectively die.

The first direct reference to Banri's accident will appear in the next manga chapter, but there are no strong references to Banri's Ghost in the manga until perhaps chapter seven, unlike in the LN, where Banri's Ghost introduces virtually every chapter and finishes out the book.

Last edited by rpapo; 2012-06-08 at 15:19. Reason: More info.
Old 2012-06-08, 15:25   Link #32
blade82

did you read the LN rpapo? if yes can you explain why Banri never saw before Linda because its weird if she was his GF then she went to visit him after the accident
Old 2012-06-08, 15:46   Link #33
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82 View Post
did you read the LN rpapo? if yes can you explain why Banri never saw before Linda because its weird if she was his GF then she went to visit him after the accident
I'm the guy who's been translating the books on Baka-Tsuki. That said, the author is taking her time revealing the past.

As of the end of book 1, we know that Banri and Linda were BF/GF in high school, and were the captain and vice-captain respectively of the running club. The author tries to hide this fact in the prologue to the book, but she drops clues so you can figure it out later. We also know that a few days after graduation from high school, Banri had a nearly fatal accident, falling off the Horai bridge in Shizuoka, either into the river itself, or onto the rocks, or onto rocks just below the water surface. We haven't been told the details yet. In any case, he spent a number of months in the hospital recuperating, but had lost his memories. He didn't recognize anybody, not even his parents anymore. He didn't remember Linda, and for some reason Linda never revealed herself to him.

After Banri discovers that she had been his GF in high school (near the end of the last chapter of the first LN volume), he is totally mystified that she hasn't said anything to him.

In the manga chapters I've seen (six and seven), Linda is much, much more flirtatious towards Banri than in the book. In LN chapter four, manga chapter seven, she makes pointed remarks in his direction about remembering, but stops short of explaining herself.

In the prologue to the second book, we are told some of the events leading up to Banri's accident, and you get the impression that Linda is having some misgivings about committing to Banri. She appears to think he's not ready.
Old 2012-06-08, 16:09   Link #34
blade82

thanx and good job for the translation work
Old 2012-06-08, 19:53   Link #35
Shadow5YA

Is Yuyuko writing both Golden Time and Evergreen at the same time? Both series seem to be ongoing.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 07:33   Link #36
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Is Yuyuko writing both Golden Time and Evergreen at the same time? Both series seem to be ongoing.
She's one busy lady. Since Toradora she started Golden Time, then Evergreen, and then the Golden Time manga. On top of that, she did a one-shot story that was included in a LN packaged with Dengeki Bunko Magazine for December 2011.

Evergreen appears every other month, the Golden Time manga once a month, the Golden Time novels every 4-5 months.

She's a busy person. ...That's a compliment in Japan.
Old 2012-06-21, 08:24   Link #37
l.kostas

The English scanlation of the manga is progressing at a good pace, but if someone can't wait and wants to take a look at the next manga chapters, there is a Chinese scanlation and they recently made an update up to chapter 8:
http://manhua.178.com/qcjx/
At the top you will see this:
第一页
第01话 第02话 第03话 第04话 第05话 第06话 第07话 第08话
Click at the chapter you want to see.

For now it looks like the second tankōbon will probably contain chapters 7 to 12 of the manga and it will take us at the end of the first light novel volume. 2 tankōbons containing 6 chapters each for each light novel volume.

Last edited by l.kostas; 2012-06-21 at 12:23.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 09:17   Link #38
blade82

hi rpapo i want to know if in the LN illustration can we see a picture of Banri's body beacause i'm curious of the scars from the accident
Old 2012-06-22, 11:02   Link #39
l.kostas

Here are some pages from the Chinese scanlation I mention above where Banri is talking about the accident. We can see a scar at one of them.
http://www.178.com/mh/qcjx/16508-13.shtml
http://www.178.com/mh/qcjx/16508-11.shtml
http://www.178.com/mh/qcjx/17941-6.shtml
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 14:47   Link #40
blade82

thanx but i recall in the LN that he has scars on all his body something ugly no?
l.kostas do you know the name of this manga?
http://manhua.178.com/ncnzqgbctj/

Tags
college, dengeki bunko, love triangle, romance, school life, shounen