AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-11-12, 11:35   Link #2301
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
I would say that both of them are occult players.

Similar to other abilities we have seen in Saki series, each ability has its own rule and limitation.

In Mairu and Himeko case, the limitation of their abilities are: You have to use it in combination with your partner.
I think what serperior is getting at is we could consider Marui a normal player/non-hax player since her hax doesn't benefit herself. Though she is undoubtedly an occult player because she has an ability - her playstyle is more or less that of a normal than that of an occult.

Marui's ability is more or less useless to herself when you think about it. It affects Himiko more than it affect her so I imagine, Marui more or less play like a normal person - no skewing draw orders, no feeling the flow, no seeing the future, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
In the end Saki will just show how powerful she is , and to make Saki's victory more EPIC, strong enemy(s) is/are needed. I expect that Shizuno will be able to annoy Saki a lot even if she can't win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1 View Post
The net result is that Shiraitodai are starting to suffer from Achiga Syndrome: the way they are being portrayed makes them look weak and far from "the best team ever". Having two really good players and three fillers whose job is to lose as few points as they can manage is hardly being the 'Best Team'. In fact, it makes them look rather like Shindouji.
I think you guys are both right. Both Achiga syndrome and Saki effect is at work here.

Let's admit it, Saki is jaw-droppingly broken as a player. To have compelling fights she must have powerful opponents or we risk curb-stomps. And even then, Ritz-sensei slants the conditions for her opponents and give Saki psychological blocks to make the game more even. Thus, If Achiga is the one who will continue on to the finals. Shizuno needs to have some sort of power-up beside her despair shield or she is going to be Kana/Kyouko 2.0.

On the other hand, Achiga has the opposite problem. They are not really that strong in my opinion compared to powerhouse schools like Ryuumonbuchi, Eisui, etc. But, they are our protagonist in this manga and they must win their fight semi-realistically. Thus the author arranges the fights so that the teams that Achiga face are more or less on their level. Hence, the Achiga syndrome. Notice the draws seems to be rigged in such a way that Side-B receives the troublesome schools.

But, due to the way Achiga is set-up they are going to meet Shiraitodai. Since curbstomp battles are unfun especially if its happening to our protagonist. The Achiga syndrome kicks in and they temporarily nerf Shiraitodai.

The nerfing of Shiraitodai actually started at Teru's match wherein there is a collection of 3 abilities that work well together to stop Teru. We just didn't notice because even when Teru is being nerfed she's still overpowered. Then the pattern continues with Sumire who confirmed that yes Shiraitodai is taking it easy on this match. Beside that, Achiga discovered Sumire's tell so they managed to avoid her ability. On the other hand, Takami might not be trying to win actually and just observing, using her harvest ability to offset the point loss. Though, I do agree that there is not much excuse for Seiko.

But, this nerfing is temporary though - come finals Shiraitodai will probably be presented in their best condition and they would be very motivated to win - no more data collecting.

1. Teru is going to use an ability (probably her nine lantern) and she would undoubtedly met with less resistance there; unless Ritz is going to introduce another character that has an ability that directly counters Teru.
2. Sumire will probably be aware of her tell and she will not be data collecting this time around. She'll try to end the round quickly sniping the lowest point player. This will be actually easier since after Teru's round all of her opponents will have low points.
3. Takami is going to be the last dealer. Sera's possibility that she will keep getting yakuman hand due to dealer repeats is going to be very probable.
4. Seiko.... no comment yet
5. Awai is being hyped as the most dangerous first year. She's going to be a monster class.

Quote:
. Please, please don't tell me that Shizuno is the final boss!
I think I can wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Even if Shizuno gets more skilled ( unlikely, since its just 1 day of training) or has some sort of hidden ability that we haven't seen. I don't see her being the final boss, Ever.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 04:47   Link #2302
Felyndiira

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
3. Takami is going to be the last dealer. Sera's possibility that she will keep getting yakuman hand due to dealer repeats is going to be very probable.
4. Seiko.... no comment yet
Spoiler for Response:

Spoiler for My Own Analysis:
Felyndiira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 13:43   Link #2303
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Then again, as Nodoka said and any person who has played Mahjong can attest, one or two hanchan means jack when trying to peg down a player's ability beyond the very basics. You have to statistically track someone down in order to be able to say anything meaningful.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 14:12   Link #2304
Serperior

Felyndiira: What a nice analysis! I agree with most of what you have pointed out except for two points:

Spoiler for for tl;dr:
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 16:08   Link #2305
King-Slayer

Felyndiira makes some good points but i'll only disagree with a few like the Ryuumonbuchi and Seiko ones. but overall i get what your saying in that you can't judge a player by on screen performance.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 00:53   Link #2306
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
For Shindouji..... the only weak player in Shindouji's team seems to be Ezaki.

How can you say this to poor Hitomi~chan? Not only was she up against good players but the government was conspiring against her... the only reason Shindouji was at the last place was because of the government's doing... like she said, IT'S ALL THE GOVERNMENT'S FAULT!
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 02:24   Link #2307
Marina2

@Serperior I think Momoko is not that hard to play with. You just have to play cheap/fast hand and hope that you will tsumo/ron before Momoko can be in Tenpai. (You can do the same to counter Hisa's bad wait, I think.) A player who like to play fast hand like Ako shouldn't have much problem with Momoko. In the end, it's all about the luck.

By the way, I'm still confuse about the definition of "Digital Playstyle" I know that Nodoka is the Digital Player but I still don't understand how can that make her stronger??? (or, luckier)
Old 2012-11-14, 03:06   Link #2308
The Green One

A digital player is said to play like a computer would, operating completely by analyzing percentages keeping track of whats been played, discarded, and so forth. This can allow for ultra high speed accurate play which can be difficult for opponents to keep up with or to keep track of. When done right this style of play doesn't give openings to exploit as the player just doesn't make mistakes like this.

However this style is hardly unstoppable. Like Nodoka for example, she's weak to occult style play as she just can't, or won't, understand it as it's so outside of the logic/percentage style of digital play.

In the Sakiverse at least Digital style is a stable but hardly extraordinary playing style that apparently will let you curbstomp the mook level caliber players but you'll have a harder time vs the upper tiers. Now players who can mix Digital and Occult style would truly be deadly as Cold Touka seems to demonstrate.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 03:09   Link #2309
sandhy88
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

From what I know, Digital Playstyle is using a lot of probability teorema. By counting the discard tiles and construc your tiles with high probability tiles that will comes.

My question is, who is faster, Nodoka's full power or Ako?
Nodoka always consider the time and the point that she will get.

Last edited by sandhy88; 2012-11-14 at 03:20.
sandhy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 05:12   Link #2310
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhy88 View Post
From what I know, Digital Playstyle is using a lot of probability teorema. By counting the discard tiles and construc your tiles with high probability tiles that will comes.

My question is, who is faster, Nodoka's full power or Ako?
Nodoka always consider the time and the point that she will get.
Ako goes for speedier hands, but that isn't always the best tactic when it comes to the points total at the end. Eguchi Sera proved that just a couple of chapters ago. Nodoka takes the expecting winnings into account, as well as the probability. Her efficiency is a hallmark of her play, so given enough games, her points total will eventually pass Ako's.
atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 10:23   Link #2311
night_sentinel

Its that time of the month again. Time to dump leaked pictures of Saki 105.

Spoiler for Its just as we feared....:

Spoiler for Who are you?:

Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2012-11-14, 10:48   Link #2312
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Its that time of the month again. Time to dump leaked pictures of Saki 105.

Spoiler for Its just as we feared....:

Spoiler for Who are you?:

Spoiler for Answer:
lol dang it you beat me to it, I had just found those.
Old 2012-11-14, 11:08   Link #2313
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
lol dang it you beat me to it, I had just found those.

Lol ^^
If its any consolation here is the link for the raws of chapter 105 courtesy of a kind anon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tkm4b79118lpmem

Spoiler for Saki 105:
Old 2012-11-14, 13:52   Link #2314
JW1

Nishida mistakes young Ako for Yuuki. Easily done!
JW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 14:31   Link #2315
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

A 16-page chapter 105... when will we see the semi-final for side B? With the way things are going... do we have to wait for Side A to conclude their semi-final before the semi-final for side B starts? I just hope we get to see more from the Miyanaga story and not just some glimpse of what's happening from side A... I want to see Rinkai and Usuzan in action...
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 16:07   Link #2316
The Green One

Sadly it looks like this chapter is a whole lot of nothing. Just more tired Nodoka boob jokes and a brief showing of Rinkai. Pretty much expected but still disappointing. Guess next chap is on 12/7
Old 2012-11-14, 20:56   Link #2317
King-Slayer

One thing i can say about the raws;
Spoiler for raws:
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 22:01   Link #2318
tsunade666

Rinkai's members are being introduce but still..... its slow -_-

I will grow old before it even finish the finals. I wish side B will have more pages done 16-20 pages. 20 pages are usually for weekly manga but Saki is monthly right? or is it bi-weekly? its kinda... nope, Not Kinda but SLOW PACE like a snail.

I'm more excited with Side A achiga than the main series.
Old 2012-11-14, 23:47   Link #2319
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
tsunade666: Saki is suposedly bi-monthly, but Ritz has been known for being somewhat erratic. Though yes, at the rate Igarashi is going, there might come a time that Achiga would overtake the main manga's page count.
Old 2012-11-15, 15:36   Link #2320
arsonal
Saki Wiki Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajis View Post
A 16-page chapter 105... when will we see the semi-final for side B?
The first two panels on page 11 of the 105 already transitions to the next day, which means it's now Kiyosumi's semi-final day. Satoha is also heading out to the Inter High location. Some Usuzan introductions may be in order for 106.
arsonal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri