Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-08, 15:41   Link #2401
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombyethan1000 View Post
Are we making a new thread for strike witches s2
There already is one in the Current Series area.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 20:07   Link #2402
Piroko
Unknown Sleeping Youkai
*Fansubber

What perfect timing for the Strike Witches Complete first season box set to come in the day before season 2 starts.

Box looks like, but it looks like I was a little bit too late in getting the limited edition 501st JFW patch to put on my jacket...

Spoiler for Picture-that-is-too-huge-too-huge-to-direct-link-without-mods-raging:

Either I got a bad DVD, but the copyright notification, Gonzo logo, and Funimation logos and trailers you see right after you pop in the disc seems to be messed up. It looks completely dark and extremely grey. Though the main episodes on the discs don't seem to be affected.

I'll upload scans of the DVD covers and the Witches' info sheets behind them some time too if anyone wants them!

Last edited by Piroko; 2010-07-08 at 22:25.
Piroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 22:11   Link #2403
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piroko View Post
What perfect timing for the Strike Witches Complete first season box set to come in the day before season 2 starts.

Box looks like, but it looks like I was a little bit too late in getting the limited edition 501st JFW patch to put on my jacket...

Spoiler for Picture-that-is-too-huge-too-huge-to-direct-link-without-mods-raging:

Either I got a bad DVD, but the copyright notification, Gonzo logo, and Funimation logos and trailers you see right after you pop in the disc seems to be messed up. It looks completely dark and extremely grey. Though the main episodes on the discs don't seem to be affected.

I'll upload scans of the DVD covers and the Witches' info sheets behind them some time too.
well they look OK to me, i can see the Gonzo label clearly, don't know about the quality though......nice collection you have there btw

Please do check that it is the un-censored version, or else it is a bit, um, un-interesting shall we say XD

I am nobody, just a simple resource cabinet.....
MitsubishiZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 00:21   Link #2404
Piroko
Unknown Sleeping Youkai
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiZero View Post
well they look OK to me, i can see the Gonzo label clearly, don't know about the quality though......nice collection you have there btw

Please do check that it is the un-censored version, or else it is a bit, um, un-interesting shall we say XD
Yeah, it's weird, but if I skip around the video during the labels/trailers, the color comes back. Interesting.

I can confirm that the DVD version, true to Failamation's words, are uncensored and it's quite interesting. Glad to finally see no fog or light beams breaking the laws of physics. A NSFW sample pic below.
Spoiler for =NSFW= Uncensored Screenshot:

Heeee

Thanks for commenting on the collection!

When I went to Hong Kong last week, I was able to meet up with Selkirk(who hasn't been on here for a while...) But he was able to take me to a lot of great anime/manga/Touhou-orientated shops in HK.
Here's a picture of what I was able to get. As soon as we met up, he gave me the Strike Witches vol 1 of the manga, and two great SW calendars as a gift.
Spoiler for A-very-huge-picture:
Old 2010-07-09, 00:34   Link #2405
bombyethan1000

lol I really would want to know where these shops are, I live in Hong Kong XD
bombyethan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 10:16   Link #2406
olympian819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piroko View Post
Yeah, it's weird, but if I skip around the video during the labels/trailers, the color comes back. Interesting.

I can confirm that the DVD version, true to Failamation's words, are uncensored and it's quite interesting. Glad to finally see no fog or light beams breaking the laws of physics. A NSFW sample pic below.
Spoiler for =NSFW= Uncensored Screenshot:

Heeee

Thanks for commenting on the collection!

When I went to Hong Kong last week, I was able to meet up with Selkirk(who hasn't been on here for a while...) But he was able to take me to a lot of great anime/manga/Touhou-orientated shops in HK.
Here's a picture of what I was able to get. As soon as we met up, he gave me the Strike Witches vol 1 of the manga, and two great SW calendars as a gift.
Spoiler for A-very-huge-picture:
OH, so you and Selkirk are in Hong Kong now???That's great, I live in HK too. You guys been to Sino Center in Mong Kok or 188 center in Wan Chai? You have a very nice taste too, That amp right there, those Razer keyboards and mouses, Good Smile no. 74 ($79 is basically 10 USD) and that Tenku no Otome vol. 1 (I have both vol. 1 and 2 though)......you must have spent a fortune here haha

That Miku Impact, have you bought the other Miku Memories too? The songs in those two albums are just fantastic!

Hmm. About that Nyantype 8, how much did you pay for it? I am thinking of buying it as well as the previous few volumes.....

Let me show off a bit here....sry for bad quality or a bit off topic

Spoiler for :

Last edited by olympian819; 2010-07-09 at 10:53.
olympian819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 03:52   Link #2407
Piroko
Unknown Sleeping Youkai
*Fansubber

For olympian819:
Yeah, last week, selkirk and I spent one day at the Sino Plaza (Or "Center", both work), where I blew all my money on the stuff you see in that picture. :P

Minus the SW manga and the two SW calendars... Those were (late)birthday gifts he promised to mail over to me, but never did, so he gave them to me when we met up. :P
So unfortunately, we didn't get any SW merchandise there. ^^;
It was mostly a Touhou splurge, since he knew all the good shops in all 4 floors of the Sino Plaza.

I only have the Miku Impacts album that I bought there, but I plan to get the other album soon too. And the Nyantype that I purchased in Sino Plaza, I believe was about $90-something HKD? It was last month's, so it wasn't the $105 that was priced for this months, and not the $80 HKD for 2 months ago.

To make this post more on topic, bombyethan1000, I hope the above answers your questions! Sino Plaza 信和廣場 is where I got most of the stuff, and 聯合廣場 is a nice place too. There's an ANIMATE "space ship" store right near Sino Plaza that was a lot smaller than I expected, but it had both the Strike Witches fanbook and Fumikane's artbook from some time ago.

bombyethan1000, maybe this might help in your shopping endeavors? http://www.78dm.net/sj/xianggang.htm

But I think we should get back on topic here. xD
Old 2011-02-09, 11:22   Link #2408
tyciol
*Artist

Does anyone possibly remember what episode it was that Major Sakamoto (eyepatch sword-wielder with black ponytail) was using the pec deck?

It's this exercise: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ecDeckFly.html

I distinctly remember it but can't remember what episode it was in, or at what time during it.

If anyone's memory is better, this would be helpful. I remember there are other episodes where she's running or teaching swordsmanship, but I think she worked out on the pec deck several times but I don't know when.

Pretty sure it was Strike Witches and not Sky Girls.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 16:14   Link #2409
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
Does anyone possibly remember what episode it was that Major Sakamoto (eyepatch sword-wielder with black ponytail) was using the pec deck?

It's this exercise: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ecDeckFly.html

I distinctly remember it but can't remember what episode it was in, or at what time during it.

If anyone's memory is better, this would be helpful. I remember there are other episodes where she's running or teaching swordsmanship, but I think she worked out on the pec deck several times but I don't know when.

Pretty sure it was Strike Witches and not Sky Girls.

No that wasn't Sakamoto. She trained with her actual sword in both seasons. That was about it...aside from running I suppose

Plus wasn't the pec deck developed in the 60's or later? Strike Witches takes place in an alternate setting of World War II (1939 to 1945) so those types of auxiliary machines weren't developed just yet. Projekt Kagonish (the team behind Strike Witches) are sticklers for using any kind of WWII reference to throw in there.

Sky Girls has a more modern setting so you could be just confusing the two series.

--LW
lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 17:24   Link #2410
tyciol
*Artist

That's possible, yeah, but I thought Sky Girls took place during WW2 also... blah. It would explain why I couldn't find it, but why do I only picture Sakamoto working out on it. I could have sworn I was thinking "it was to help her sword skills" and the main char who uses a sword in Sky Girls doesn't have that personality.

The lack of a pec deck isn't something you'd throw in as a ref, it's possible they don't know the machine is newer and had it in there. I know she mostly trained with swords but I know SOME tsundere sword girl trained with a pec deck, I will find it!
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 20:17   Link #2411
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
That's possible, yeah, but I thought Sky Girls took place during WW2 also... blah. It would explain why I couldn't find it, but why do I only picture Sakamoto working out on it. I could have sworn I was thinking "it was to help her sword skills" and the main char who uses a sword in Sky Girls doesn't have that personality.

The lack of a pec deck isn't something you'd throw in as a ref, it's possible they don't know the machine is newer and had it in there. I know she mostly trained with swords but I know SOME tsundere sword girl trained with a pec deck, I will find it!

Sky Girls was definitely set in the modern era. Could you be thinking of Lieutenant Eika Ichijo?? She does work out a lot in the series. She's the Tsundere...Sakamoto isn't one.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2011-07-27, 14:28   Link #2412
user112168
Disabled By Request

Just discovered / watching Strike Witches now, having a lot of fun with the series. Am just up to episode 6, season 1.

Sanya is my favourite character so far, solely due to I like her character art/outfit (she's the only one in a skirt, and I've more of a thing for skirts than panties, TBH.). I'm just starting the "Sanya" episode now Hmm, so she is shy and flies around at night, and lives in a permanently darkened room, hey? Checklisting a few likable traits there. She's definitely the most "goth" of the lolitas in this show. No replies plz as I'm avoiding most of this thread until I finish the relevant episodes, as I want to finish the series unspoilerized XD

EDIT: Ack, Ep7 Fan Service much?

Last edited by user112168; 2011-07-27 at 15:36.
user112168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 02:51   Link #2413
Ludrio D. Zoki
Comfortably Noxious

A question: Would somebody perhaps provide a website with uncut episodes of SW?
I didn't see if it was liscensed or not.
Old 2011-08-10, 10:14   Link #2414
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludrio D. Zoki View Post
A question: Would somebody perhaps provide a website with uncut episodes of SW?
I didn't see if it was liscensed or not.
Strike Witches is licensed.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 00:08   Link #2415
Ludrio D. Zoki
Comfortably Noxious

Thank you....
Old 2011-09-02, 23:42   Link #2416
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

After being sorely disappointed with what AIC calls "Strike Witches 2," I really hope another studio comes along and makes a proper sequel to Strike Witches. But being the direction that the movie is going, it seems like that's not possible.

Personally, this is probably the best anime adaptation of Strike Witches to date so far. I wish to permanently erase any memory of that "anime" that AIC made.
Jof12788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 00:06   Link #2417
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jof12788 View Post
After being sorely disappointed with what AIC calls "Strike Witches 2," I really hope another studio comes along and makes a proper sequel to Strike Witches. But being the direction that the movie is going, it seems like that's not possible.

Personally, this is probably the best anime adaptation of Strike Witches to date so far. I wish to permanently erase any memory of that "anime" that AIC made.

I don't think AIC is to blame for that. AIC just brought over the SAME core production staff (not counting the inbetweeners and such) from the first season so if you want to complain about someone, it's the director, Kazuhiro Takamura. He's the one that mentioned in an interview that he wanted the second season to focus more on Sakamoto and Miyafuji.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-09-03, 02:29   Link #2418
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
I don't think AIC is to blame for that. AIC just brought over the SAME core production staff (not counting the inbetweeners and such) from the first season so if you want to complain about someone, it's the director, Kazuhiro Takamura. He's the one that mentioned in an interview that he wanted the second season to focus more on Sakamoto and Miyafuji.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Ugh. I personally am not in the mood for this. I'm already giving up on this series as it is.

I personally thought the same thing for a while, but in all honesty, I can't really blame Takamura completely, given that he's the director and doesn't have full control over everything. Even with AIC bringing most of the staff to work for that "thing" that they made, it is the studio themselves that decides what gets produced, how many shows should be released, etc. I would've still liked that "thing" even if it did go in a more light-hearted direction. But the fact that it ripped off the first series in terms of storyline, recycled scenes, repeated shots, etc. is more than unacceptable. Also, the writer is to blame given that he is responsible for coming up with ideas for what goes into each episode and how the story progresses. In addition, the writer was just too lazy.

But what do I care. AIC already butchered the "second season" and are now getting ready to ruin the movie. This series is already dead. And so is my interest in this series.
Old 2011-09-03, 02:53   Link #2419
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jof12788 View Post
Ugh. I personally am not in the mood for this. I'm already giving up on this series as it is.

I personally thought the same thing for a while, but in all honesty, I can't really blame Takamura completely, given that he's the director and doesn't have full control over everything. Even with AIC bringing most of the staff to work for that "thing" that they made, it is the studio themselves that decides what gets produced, how many shows should be released, etc. I would've still liked that "thing" even if it did go in a more light-hearted direction. But the fact that it ripped off the first series in terms of storyline, recycled scenes, repeated shots, etc. is more than unacceptable. Also, the writer is to blame given that he is responsible for coming up with ideas for what goes into each episode and how the story progresses. In addition, the writer was just too lazy.

But what do I care. AIC already butchered the "second season" and are now getting ready to ruin the movie. This series is already dead. And so is my interest in this series.
Well, there's always the novel as well as the current supplemental manga if you can get your hands on it but then again , you pointed out that you're pretty much done with the franchise correct? I guess it's time to move on.

Sometimes it's funny when fans act like they broke up with their significant other when they encounter a series that doesn't exactly live up to their standards because they take it so personally, True it's not for everyone but the reactions on this forum is pretty hilarious. It's the only time I ever come back here....just to see these reactions. But that's enough for now I suppose so until next time...

See ya in your version of greener pastures I guess? Take care sweetie!

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2011-09-03, 03:00   Link #2420
Jof12788
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
Well, there's always the novel as well as the current supplemental manga if you can get your hands on it but then again , you pointed out that you're pretty much done with the franchise correct? I guess it's time to move on.
In all honesty, in terms of any future anime adaptations after 2008: Yes. However, the manga and light novels I would rather turn to. At least those have better writing. The only problem is the lack of visuals.

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume