AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-01-22, 19:23   Link #601
GDB

Honestly, glad he's leaving. I loved series 5 and series 6, but haven't really enjoyed series 7, 8, or 9 all that much. And I was getting rather tired of all his lies. Especially him trying his best to imply that there'd still be part of series 10 in 2016, just not "a full season".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-23, 01:26   Link #602
BPD Renegade

I agree with GDB. Series 5 was great; Matt Smith brought so much energy initially, but as years went on, the show started to drag a bit. I wonder what direction the series is going to take now. It seems Chris Chibnall is taking over, but to be honest, I have mixed feelings about the DW episodes he's written, and I wasn't too big a fan of Broadchurch.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-23, 07:38   Link #603
Ulin

What episodes hs he written? Anyway, don't trust single episodes... my favourites were written by Moffat and it's been 3 seasons since I find some really good episode...
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-23, 08:18   Link #604
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"Power of Three". "42". "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". "Hungry Earth" and "Cold Blood".
Old 2016-01-23, 08:31   Link #605
Ulin

Not bad, but not great episodes either... We'll see I guess
Old 2016-01-24, 16:28   Link #606
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
"Power of Three". "42". "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". "Hungry Earth" and "Cold Blood".
Power of Three made it seem to make a huge impact on everyone's lives, with the companions having the chance to leave the TARDIS and live normal lives like others have done before them, but deciding not to. In a vacuum, it was a good episode (nothing great, but still well done). However, it's immediately followed by The Angels Take Manhattan, basically nullifying any merit to the episode.

42 was decent enough, but looking back we've had a surprising number of stories very similar to it since the reboot. I'd call it a wash.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was... interesting? I know a lot of people liked it, but I didn't really care for it.

Loved Hungry Earth and Cold Blood. Strong story, well written (even if you hate the side characters, they act very much "real"), creates strong tension at the end with the crack, and leads into my favorite episode (Vincent and the Doctor) very well.

But like Ulin said, individual episodes aren't important. How he can weave a season long theme/story together is what's important. So we'll see how he does.
Old 2016-01-24, 20:53   Link #607
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would guess more space, sci-fi, and future related stuff for the series arcs rather than historical. More Salurians maybe outside Madam Vastra in the 1890s. Perhaps better interactions with the companion. The character of Brain Williams seemed to work for being Rory's father. The last Christmas special made it quite clear that, yes River Song is his granddaughter, with her sonic trowel.
Old 2017-01-31, 02:34   Link #608
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Sad news.

Peter Capaldi to leave Doctor Who
Old 2017-01-31, 10:05   Link #609
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
That was always going to happen eventually. I think more worrying is that Moffat is leaving the show as well...
Old 2017-01-31, 10:15   Link #610
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
That was always going to happen eventually. I think more worrying is that Moffat is leaving the show as well...
We've known this is Moffat's last season for close to a year now. It's why there was a year off, so he could (for lack of a better way to say it) thoroughly train his successor.

It's been speculated for months that Capaldi would leave when Moffat did so the new show runner could start fresh with his own Doctor like Moffat did with Smith. This is honestly a fantastic idea, as it creates a proper jumping on point for new fans. I can attest to that as a fan who jumped on with Smith, after not wanting to worry about being "lost" on all the prior lore that was pervasive in Tennant's run. It looks like this may have been Capaldi's decision rather than the new show runner's, which makes me give mad props to Capaldi for doing what's best for the series.

Most people are actually happy that Moffat is leaving. His series 5 and 6 were amazing, but 7 onwards has been pretty sloggish. I wouldn't mind him returning for individual episodes, but he clearly doesn't have the inspiration needed to be the show runner any longer.
Old 2017-01-31, 16:25   Link #611
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Most people are actually happy that Moffat is leaving. His series 5 and 6 were amazing, but 7 onwards has been pretty sloggish. I wouldn't mind him returning for individual episodes, but he clearly doesn't have the inspiration needed to be the show runner any longer.
Are you talking about me?? because those are exactly my thoughts

I don't even mind Capaldi leaving. Although I enjoyed season 9 more or less, season 8 was a real bummer and I don't know why, but Capaldi never grew on me, and Clara became someone I couldn't even relate with her at the begining
Old 2017-01-31, 17:22   Link #612
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Clara was a great character but a terrible companion. It took them an entire season to figure out the formula for their relationship but by that point it wasn't interesting anymore. Personally I liked Capaldi. I was interested in seeing a Doctor that didn't act like a manic depressive, as much as I enjoyed Tenant and Smith. It's a shame that they took so much time off though. It's not the writing that has made me less interested in the show.....it's the damn scheduling!
Old 2017-02-02, 04:47   Link #613
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Clara was a great character but a terrible companion. It took them an entire season to figure out the formula for their relationship but by that point it wasn't interesting anymore. Personally I liked Capaldi. I was interested in seeing a Doctor that didn't act like a manic depressive, as much as I enjoyed Tenant and Smith. It's a shame that they took so much time off though. It's not the writing that has made me less interested in the show.....it's the damn scheduling!
Interesting that Clara as a character was surprised that she was allowed to stay with the Capaldi doctor. But now we see WHY this was not traditionally done. By keeping a companion from the last series but changing the writing, the companion is changed against her will.

It made sense for the Doctor to change between incarnations, but the companion is normally swapped too for good reason.
Old 2017-02-02, 14:45   Link #614
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The old tradition was that the companion(s) stayed with the new Doctor for a bit as a transition for the audience. This did not happen when the series was being revamped in some major way (between the Second and Third Doctors) and between the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors. Most other times the companions were kept or introduced before the change over to give the audience some grounding.
Old 2017-02-02, 16:26   Link #615
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The old tradition was that the companion(s) stayed with the new Doctor for a bit as a transition for the audience. This did not happen when the series was being revamped in some major way (between the Second and Third Doctors) and between the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors. Most other times the companions were kept or introduced before the change over to give the audience some grounding.
Yhep. I always felt that the companion was supposed to work as a point of view character for the audience to grasp that changes that the Doctor went through with the regeneration (in that situation in particular, the companion is the POV character anyway for the rest of the show. It's just that in a change of Doctor they can further explore that better sell their new iteration of the doctor)
Old 2017-02-02, 17:19   Link #616
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The thing is, the transition from the Tenth to Eleventh worked perfectly with how they introduced us to Matt Simth's Doctor and his future companion, Amy Pond.
Old 2017-04-17, 20:28   Link #617
GDB

That was a fun season opener. Wasn't perfect, and the monster of the week was rather... overpowered, but it was fun. Reminded me of the Rose and Martha intro episodes. Now let's see where we go from here.
Old 2017-04-21, 05:42   Link #618
Ulin

And here I thought that the new season didn't start until fall...
Old 2017-07-02, 10:48   Link #619
GDB

Wow, this season was amazing. Blew 7, 8, and 9 out of the water.
Old 2017-07-02, 13:56   Link #620
Sides

Yeah, this season was really good. I'm shocked that a lot of people have stopped watching the show.
But I cannot wait for the christmas special. I'm going to be sad seeing Peter Capaldi leaving the show, because I really liked him as the Doctor.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction