AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-04-17, 16:55   Link #24441
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Nanoha Alter?

*shot repeatedly*

Pity we don't really know for sure what Nanoha's name means. If we did, it would probably be easy to think up a name that counters it.
Old 2010-04-17, 17:26   Link #24442
Darksword
Love nekomimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Nanoha Alter?

*shot repeatedly*
If the story is a crossover with Fate/Stay Night that goes down the Heaven's Feel path, I don't see why not.
Darksword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 18:48   Link #24443
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi

I'm releasing a small number of AlternativeS books to my friends/family. If you are interested in getting a copy then please email me kimiko26@gmail.com , I'd only ask for the shipping/print fees. If you want it signed, let me know too ^^
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 19:17   Link #24444
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'd love one but I could not afford it at all. Not even the shipping fees. Blah.
Old 2010-04-17, 19:27   Link #24445
Nijiru

For names, if one doesn't pop to mind, I'll go browse some name databases I know of. www.behindthename.com is a good one. It's how I got Johannes' full fame (Johannes Lucius Ulrich), and most of the other names I've been using for fic ideas.
Old 2010-04-17, 19:52   Link #24446
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Well, regardless of whether or not you find a good name, there is a theme song you can use...

"We are living in a Material world, and I am a Material girl..."
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 20:05   Link #24447
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Well, after the backlog... Let's see. Name for Evil Nanoha/Dark Nanoha/Material S... You could go using a word in Belkan (German) : Schlecht (Bad), Übel (Evil), etc. (Translation from google. Please, point that gun somewhere else)

@Satashi
Would love to, but like Rising Dragon, can't afford at the moment.

@00-Raiser
Sometimes I do that too. Get one or other story and the inspiration/will to write something just comes out of the blue. Sometimes right after I finish, sometimes a few days/weeks later.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 20:55   Link #24448
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Spoiler for Center Ring, Part 3:

Edit: And now up on FF.net at: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5883307/3/Center_Ring
This is amazingly funny, I was chuckling the whole way through! I love how you managed to pull off the concept and Vita! Heeee! You don't want to argue with Vita!

Quote:
Double post, sorry about that. A request I've owed Syn for awhile in regards to her OC, Celica. Hope she likes it.

Spoiler for Three Shadows:

A little bit of shipteasing with Celica/Victor, but really, I meant it more as good friendship than anything else. If it goes any further than that is Syn's decision.

I should really, really catch-up on reading this 'verse! I love Cia getting teased by her team, its nice to see them during their down time.

Quote:
It amuses me how completely this piece contradicts my current mood. Because somehow, in my mind, "murderous thoughts" equals "Fiasse/Miyuki backstory fluff".

Spoiler for Air Kisses:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:

First of al BtBR update! Well, prequel but still! And also its cute and fluffy! And d'awww.... I love how Fiasse just up and kissed Miyuki! Go, Fiasse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
So who's up for some Erio/Caro?

Spoiler for A Short Date:

Awww.... Erio is the sweetest ever! There should be more Erio/Caro! There's so cute!
Old 2010-04-17, 22:23   Link #24449
NeoEevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm having trouble taking a character with the word 'idiot' in the name seriously though.

Names, names, names.... Gyousei? Taikyo? I can probably come up with something better if I know what you're going to do with her origins.
*/late, very very late*
Here's what I got so far:

Dark Nanoha was created about sixteen years ago. The particular story she appears in takes place two years after another story, which in turn takes place about four or five years after StrikerS. The entire story, for further point of reference (and because both universes become significant later) takes place eleven years after Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, and fifteen years after the Neon Genesis Evangelion-verse's Second Impact.

DN was created by someone (haven't decided who - my prime target is either Jail or Precia, the latter of whom is alive in this particular fic) who was in league with the Kingdom Hearts-verse's Master Xehanort. DN isn't just a clone gone horribly wrong - she's literally the darkness of Nanoha's heart given a physical form. As there still exists a link between DN and Nanoha, DN takes on Nanoha's appearance, with a few differences. Three other "dark copies" were made, only two of which are of Nanoha characters. Those two became Dark Yuuno and Dark Fate. What their purpose is, or who made them and why, not entirely clear, but what is clear is that they were discovered later and sealed away, beneath the castle in (Kingdom Hearts-verse again) Radiant Garden, where they were trapped in a special time-seal spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaname08 View Post
Speaking of names, this question has always been buzzing around in my head for quite a bit but...has anyone noticed that when it comes to trying to name characters for something (whether it'd be for manga, anime, fanfics, etc.) that authors / writers (including myself) have an odd tendency to re-cycle names whenever we try to come up with a character?

Also...since I'm sure there will be a time where nothing is considered "original" anymore (possibly), I've been wondering...why do writers or any creative person sometimes repeat re-occurring themes? What do you guys think?

The reason why I brought this up is that there are times I come up with strange names that would almost have no meaning or sense whatsoever, yet I feel that it's sometimes necessary to try and create some diversity. (Not an easy thing to do as I'm sure most of you have already known).
I do this. I have three characters named "Yuki." Once it was just because I liked the name, the second it was because I needed a name that meant "courage" (lol theme naming =p) and the third time it was because I needed a Japanese word for either rain or snow, and I was too lazy to look up "rain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijiru View Post
For names, if one doesn't pop to mind, I'll go browse some name databases I know of. www.behindthename.com is a good one. It's how I got Johannes' full fame (Johannes Lucius Ulrich), and most of the other names I've been using for fic ideas.
*fav's site* Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Well, regardless of whether or not you find a good name, there is a theme song you can use...

"We are living in a Material world, and I am a Material girl..."
PFFFT. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
Well, after the backlog... Let's see. Name for Evil Nanoha/Dark Nanoha/Material S... You could go using a word in Belkan (German) : Schlecht (Bad), Übel (Evil), etc. (Translation from google. Please, point that gun somewhere else)
Hm. Thanks for the suggestion. Hey, if all else fails, I can always scramble up "Nanoha" and stick an "X" in it somewhere.

...but that wouldn't work with Dark Fate because - waitaminute, yeah it would!

For all the dark copies, I'll rearrange their names and put an X in (so... Xefta, Noxyuu, and Hanonax?). That'll be what they call themselves. The heroes will call them by Material-S (for DN), Material-L (for Dark Fate) and... nuts, I need one for Dark Yuuno. Material-F(erret)? Material-B(arrier)?
NeoEevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 23:27   Link #24450
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoEevee View Post
The heroes will call them by Material-S (for DN), Material-L (for Dark Fate) and... nuts, I need one for Dark Yuuno. Material-F(erret)? Material-B(arrier)?
I'd go with Material-B, since calling him a ferret was always an insult. Also, the others are S(tarlight), L(ightning) and D(arkness), so B(arrier), being Yuuno's 'element'/fighting style, would fit the theme.
Old 2010-04-17, 23:38   Link #24451
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

Quote:
Because only so many names exist in the world. When thinking up characters unless you want to spend hours searching for names it's easier to use a name that you hear more commonly. At least you know that those are actual names and it won't be weird that some one is called that.

Of course there are series that have really unique names you never hear used by anyone else, most notably Gundam. Char Aznable? Garrod Ran? Gym Ghingnham? Athrun Zala? Really, I wonder where the creators come up with some of these

Well, in terms of Nanoha fanfiction, since the setting has moved to Mid Childa the rule of thumb is to use car names for OCs. People like me who know nothing about cars usually choose from more well known models and companies.

That time is now so far as I'm concerned. No individual ideas are original anymore, instead it's all about how you combine those ideas together. Repeats of themes sometimes stem from seeing other people do it and you deciding you want to give it a try. For example, I read Satashi's Hayate/Yuuno stuff so I wanted to write my own take on that pairing.

Page claim for Hayate/Yuuno!
Point taken. With regards to the sequel that I'll eventually be working on (after BlazerS is in the can), I've only got a few OC's worked out so far. In terms of cars for names...the only one that came up to mind is "Aston" like the "Aston Martin" (which...in my opinion is a very good looking car). Besides that...I sometimes like to use movies as references to help with my story. Although I either try to paraphrase or make note as to what I'm taking a quote or line, or perhaps...even a scenario from as I'm doing this.

The only thing that has got my mind going with regards to this sequel...is that when I think of "experiments gone wrong" and "military property now target of termination"...I like to think more on Ludlum's Jason Bourne character (even though I haven't read the books yet, though they sound very interesting).
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 23:42   Link #24452
NeoEevee

Quote:
I'd go with Material-B, since calling him a ferret was always an insult. Also, the others are S(tarlight), L(ightning) and D(arkness), so B(arrier), being Yuuno's 'element'/fighting style, would fit the theme.
Alright then.

...maybe I'll have someone suggest it when they designate the Darklings with the Material names. xD Something like this:

Hayate: Material-S, and Material-L... but what about the third one? Yuuno's "evil twin"?

*quiet brainstorming moment*

Sora and Vanitas: *simeltaneously* I've got it!

Hayate: What?

Vanitas: Material-F...

Sora: For FERRET!

Yuuno: *"not amused" look*

Sora: ^^; Okay, maybe not.

Vanitas: *trademark evil grin*

...why yes, the story in question is a crossover, why do you ask? xD
Old 2010-04-18, 00:16   Link #24453
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
*Stumbles in*

Not...

*Falls over*

Dead... Yet...

*Twitches*

MEDIC!

Day in the Life

Chapter 35

Escape

Big props to Rising Dragon for all his help on this.

Spoiler for Escape:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 00:19   Link #24454
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

^ Hey look! I've finally managed to contribute to this thread in a proper way! *feels proud of himself*
Old 2010-04-18, 13:42   Link #24455
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Man, away for a few days, and.......BACKLOG BREAKER!!!!

Quote:
Double post, sorry about that. A request I've owed Syn for awhile in regards to her OC, Celica. Hope she likes it.

Spoiler for Three Shadows:

A little bit of shipteasing with Celica/Victor, but really, I meant it more as good friendship than anything else. If it goes any further than that is Syn's decision.
Cute, it's sweet of Lutecia to stay with Celica even though she didn't have to . And Lutecia in a suit? *imagines Rider in a handsome suit.....*

Vivio: *stares* .............Cia?
Lutecia: Um, yes?
Vivio: Bathroom. Now. *hungry smirk*
Lutecia: @_@!!!

Quote:
It amuses me how completely this piece contradicts my current mood. Because somehow, in my mind, "murderous thoughts" equals "Fiasse/Miyuki backstory fluff".

Spoiler for Air Kisses:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:
Well, mood whiplash is good?

Nice bit, good to see how Fiasse and Miyuki first got together .

Quote:
So who's up for some Erio/Caro?
Aw, Erio's really sweet, trying to salvage Caro's mood at every turn . Funny and cute, Caro's fuming at the security guards made me laugh . I agree, poor Erio at the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
*Stumbles in*

Not...

*Falls over*

Dead... Yet...

*Twitches*

MEDIC!

Day in the Life

Chapter 35

Escape

Spoiler for Escape:
Hm, a comment....the part about the military not telling the public that there's a dangerous criminal loose seems odd to me...you would think that they would tell the public, so that if people happen to spot him they will report him in to police hotlines, which would make it harder for him to get around. It seems negligent of the military to not warn people that there's a murderer loose, and I can't see that being a smart decision to make. It's better for some people to panic and everyone to be careful, rather than have people be careless and calm...

Yay, Teela and Teana! Love to see them in another fight, maybe a fight with multiple Unisoned mages, eh? And about Ginga....They're combat cyborgs, so I'm wondering, how much of their anatomy fits with a human's, and how much is different? I wonder if she could have been taken down in that fight so easily....but still, effective twist of events!

It seems like you're starting to tie together a few plot points, so I'm eager to see where it all goes!
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 14:34   Link #24456
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
*Stumbles in*

Not...

*Falls over*

Dead... Yet...

*Twitches*

MEDIC!

Day in the Life

Chapter 35

Escape

Well I gave you most of my comments on AOL, but I'll do another post here anyways!

Certainly some major events going down in this chapter. Where the overall plot is headed became that much clearer. I'm still glad that one thing we discussed was me thinking too deeply into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Hm, a comment....the part about the military not telling the public that there's a dangerous criminal loose seems odd to me...you would think that they would tell the public, so that if people happen to spot him they will report him in to police hotlines, which would make it harder for him to get around. It seems negligent of the military to not warn people that there's a murderer loose, and I can't see that being a smart decision to make. It's better for some people to panic and everyone to be careful, rather than have people be careless and calm...
Well, there are several factors. One is avoiding mass panic, yes, but another is some one might see him and decide to be a hero, getting themselves and possibly others hurt/killed in the process. Also, it sure as hell wouldn't be good for the Bureau's image if they admitted that a high class criminal managed to escape from a maximum security facility. It would cause the masses to lose faith in their abilities to keep them safe which could open up all kinds of other problems.
Old 2010-04-18, 16:23   Link #24457
NeoEevee

I'm either nuts or the creative part of my brain is on steriods.

I have a trailer for my Darkling mages and their involvement in the plot. xD; *shot dead*

Why yes, the format for this was stolen from one of the posts in the humor thread...

Also, knowledge of the Kingdom Hearts series may be necessary to understand this.

Spoiler for Because no one wants to see my spam. Also, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep spoilers if you look too deep into it.:
Old 2010-04-18, 17:39   Link #24458
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Well, there are several factors. One is avoiding mass panic, yes, but another is some one might see him and decide to be a hero, getting themselves and possibly others hurt/killed in the process. Also, it sure as hell wouldn't be good for the Bureau's image if they admitted that a high class criminal managed to escape from a maximum security facility. It would cause the masses to lose faith in their abilities to keep them safe which could open up all kinds of other problems.
I do see your point, but I still stick by my opinion. Yes, you might get a few idiots who want to play hero, but most average citizens (the ones at the most risk) would want to steer clear and keep themselves safe....not going home at night, keeping an eye out for suspicious behaviour, telling their kids to walk home in groups, that kind of thing.

And I think it would be worse for the Bureau's image if word got out that there was a high-risk criminal on the streets and they didn't warn the public about it. Accidents happen, but if the Bureau was responsible and honest about their mistakes and did everything they could to keep the public safe, I think that people would be more forgiving of that then finding casualties due to the Bureau trying to hide the situation. People bash the cops and the military for being useless all the time, but it doesn't mean that they'll hesitate to call them if there's trouble.

It's not a huge deal in the chapter, but it's just something that didn't sit right with me. Maybe I watch too many police procedurals, but when a criminal escapes the first thing the cops do is alert the public. They may keep quiet on more specific details, or not publicize any leads they get, but they'll warn people about the danger and ask for them to report suspicious behaviour.

Anyways, whatever Nanya wants to do with it is fine.
Old 2010-04-18, 18:00   Link #24459
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

It's like "Society is what we see, not what we want" kind of thing. I feel like the TSAB is portrayed in canon as being almost fascist, where you're pratically nothing if you're not in the military. Of course, this could be because all the main characters are from the military (I lampshaded this in CaD recently), but since we don't get anything (aside from a few town trips and the recent training travel in ViVid) that we could remotely relate to a life outside the TSAB, it's kind of hard to say what is the public view on the Bureau.

If the society was somewhat fascist, I would agree that they wouldn't let the public know about the situation since it would be a shot at their morale/public view, but if they are a type of 'police' then I think that the right thing to do would be alert the general people that there's a murderer on the run.

Edit: pageclaim for ambiguous societies.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 19:05   Link #24460
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Sniperk, this is for you!

Thanks to itanshi1 for betaing, any additional errors are my stylistic choosing!

Some things are getting better while others are getting worse....

ANGEL
Is second-best really good enough?

Spoiler for Angel, chapter 12: Full Circle:

Previous Parts:
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Next Chapter: Level Field

Last edited by deathcurse; 2010-04-19 at 16:50. Reason: Added a few breaks to hopefully clear up a section....

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha