AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-10, 03:39   Link #101
4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Can't wait for the subs (and a higher quality raw)!
Subs are out (gg, Desire).
4get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 04:13   Link #102
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Wow, that was an awesome first episode! It went by all too quickly, but I'm counting on this one to be Kenji Kamiyama's next hit.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 05:12   Link #103
Blaat

This is the first show I've seen this season where I'm looking forward to the next episode, I really want to see more.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 05:16   Link #104
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I hope we get some AVI releases =3
the opening and ending are amazingly animated lol haven't seen the rest yet XD
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 05:22   Link #105
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Animation Program and Movie Average Television Household Audience Ratings in the Kantou Region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.)

*4.8% (--.-%) 04/09 (Thu) 24:45-25:15 Fuji TV Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East) (New)

That's Noitamina doing good. Recent shows like Genji and Antique Bakery weren't able to hit these numbers (Nodame Paris Chapter was, though). Then again, the timeslot's popularity does stem from a Umino Chika show, the character design might really play a part here. I also reckon this has the potential to have very satisfying DVD sales, but I'm clearly just taking wild guesses (and being hopeful, too).

The character design isn't the element I like the most in the show, but there's so much more to love. Everything looked fantastic (most particularly the backgrounds, which looked like so much effort was put into them), Hayami Saori was fantastic, the story moved in a direction that did not bore me once. Any of my expectations have been far surpassed.

Wow, hell of an opening. Lets see if they can keep it up what with this being an original work and all.

Anyways yea I watched it, although it's kinda hard to keep up with raw. I'll stick with it if only for the fact that it's real unique. FANTASTIC ART DIRECTION, feels like I am back at home (DC area native) but seriously some silly stuff happened.

Spoiler for first ep wierdness:
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 05:25   Link #106
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Wow, hell of an opening. Lets see if they can keep it up what with this being an original work and all.

Anyways yea I watched it, although it's kinda hard to keep up with raw. I'll stick with it if only for the fact that it's real unique. FANTASTIC ART DIRECTION, feels like I am back at home (DC area native) but seriously some silly stuff happened.
Watch it with the sub, it makes a lot more sense, since Akira is shown to be quite nuts.
Old 2009-04-10, 05:26   Link #107
providence
!!!

Ezily best show of the season so far.
providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 05:43   Link #108
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
btw where does the random English text in the OP come from? Bible ?
Nowhere, as far as I can tell. I SUSPECT it's been translated from something, but I can't work out what.

There's a line of Shakespeare shoved in there, which is the motto of Juiz, the one about remorse. Plus a few terms specific to the show, like Mr Outside.

Quote:
The English is also excellent, with African American accent too, I like that they pay this attention to detail.
This is what happens when you use native speakers (well, seemingly native speakers, they have some really weird inflections to my admittedly British ears).
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 05:46   Link #109
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
This is what happens when you use native speakers (well, seemingly native speakers, they have some really weird inflections to my admittedly British ears).
I noticed that, especially the cops. The cab driver and the apartment guy were pretty natural.
Old 2009-04-10, 05:58   Link #110
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
OK, there was the odd english+japanese where everyone apparently can understand each other, which makes no real sense. Usually Japanese characters can't handle the english and vice versa, but everything here was just TOO easily understood, it's wierd.
That is directional decision. They show Japanese characters speaking Japanese, but in reality they are speaking English. I think it’s done so in order to build up the atmosphere while still allowing Japanese viewers understand what’s going on with their limited English language skills (and reward those that understand both languages.)
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 07:31   Link #111
Coruja

I really enjoyed the first episode!!!
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 08:31   Link #112
BlackDove
Unheard

So.

Spoiler:

Point being, what are the tangibles we can connect?
BlackDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 09:11   Link #113
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Blown away! The best of this season barring Cross Game (I'm sorry, I love Adachi too much lol).
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 09:44   Link #114
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
That is directional decision. They show Japanese characters speaking Japanese, but in reality they are speaking English. I think it’s done so in order to build up the atmosphere while still allowing Japanese viewers understand what’s going on with their limited English language skills (and reward those that understand both languages.)
I actually thought it would still have been possible if they were speaking their languages as presented... after all there is that scene where Saki shouts, "What's his room number?" in Engl(r)ish. Like when Akira's talking to the black guy in the apartment, he holds up two fingers, prompting the black guy to hold up three along with his explanation, etc... eh, who knows.

Torrenting the sub right now... raws always come out when I'm awake but darnit subs are always released while I'm sleeping. XD
Old 2009-04-10, 10:19   Link #115
Jerseykid

Neat set up, neat seeing USA featured for once. Naked guy would have been tackled by 50 agents in the first 10 seconds realistically though
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 10:21   Link #116
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I actually thought it would still have been possible if they were speaking their languages as presented... after all there is that scene where Saki shouts, "What's his room number?" in Engl(r)ish. Like when Akira's talking to the black guy in the apartment, he holds up two fingers, prompting the black guy to hold up three along with his explanation, etc... eh, who knows.
Ouch. You're right. I really forgot about that Saki's scene. They're talking in the languages as presented, after all. Come to think of it, they did not really talk to anyone else in the episode. (Except that trousers guy, which they omitted the conversations out.) What confuses me is the Taxi at the end, but it's still possible that he's Chinese or Japanese...
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 11:37   Link #117
BlackDove
Unheard

Deconstructing the ED:

She rises from the ground as the main actor. She is a solid.

She runs through the streets of a city.

Missiles approach said city and fly overhead.

Missiles impact buildings, create destruction, explosions.

The girl is standing in the blast radius of the explosions, and is blown away by them.

The explosions leave a crater in the topography of the city.

From the crater, a cellphone emerges, opens.

Cellphone is taken by a newly formed hand, that rises from the ground.

The one holding the cellphone is him, he is now a solid.

He runs through the city.

He arrives at a leveled portion, and helps the girl up. The girl however, is a shadow, a cutout, an outline, not a solid.

More missiles are propelling through the sky, their destination seems to be the cutout girl and the solid boy.

The boy uses his hand shaped as a gun to shoot the missiles down while the girl is in the background (she has no choice, she's a cutout).

With a remaining missile on the way, as the girl and the boy hold hands, they are united as the papers level (he seems to "enter" the part that is hollowed, which is her outline).

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!?!?!?
BlackDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 12:47   Link #118
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Short blog post with pics about Kamiyama Kenji (director) and Umino Chika (character designer, mangaka of Honey & Clover) watching the first episode being aired.

The radio show -- with Hayami Saori (Saki) and Kimura Ryouhei (Akira) -- is now on-line. But either the traffic is too heavy or they're blocking us outside Japan, since I haven't been able to get through in hours.

Reaction to the radio show in the Hayami Saori thread on 2channel is worshipful. She is apparently called "Hayami Onee-san" ("big-sister Hayami") on the show. She is 17 and Kimura is 24. But she is a bit of an ojou-sama.

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-04-10 at 13:07.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 13:04   Link #119
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I liked this ep so much I did a blog post about it. It's always nice when the show you are most looking forward to turns out this good -- at least through one episode.

I'm not sure how it will actually work in Japan, but from a distance it feels like the missile coincidence might draw attention to the show and be good for sales.

By the way, here is a link to the radio show, which starts Friday in Japan and features the two stars. The file hasn't appeared yet, but will be at the bottom of the page.
Spoiler for Ep.1:
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 13:09   Link #120
Echoes

Fantastic first episode, this looks to be a pure joy to watch.

Tags
romance, spy thriller