AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-18, 21:21   Link #1041
Tabris

I just finished watching the last epi of Strike Witches and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The ending was nice enough so that you see the characters get on with their lives, and closure is always nice. But it's open at the same time, which just begs for a sequel (as if anyone would have a second thought about another series anyway)
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 00:14   Link #1042
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Supposedly this is the DVD page according to 2ch. That's going to bite my wallet hard...

26/9/08...I can't read Japanese well so all I know is that you can get Eila's tarot set, and....a drama CD and artbook? Any info on that 13th episode will be awesome.

And yeah, the ending was pretty good for GONZO, it's somewhat closure-ish, you see the characters get on with their lives and the pairings form.

Although part of me thinks Miyafuji's striker is also engineered with stolen Neuroi tech, maybe that's why.

Spoiler for pairings:

Still, season 2! Not seen any details on 2ch, they all look like speculation to me. Only DVD details.

Also:
Spoiler for EILAAAAAAAAAAAA:

I LOL'D

Edit: wtf preorders for the set with Eila's cards sold out....
Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 00:31   Link #1043
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

I hope for the second season. This show was really nice.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 01:16   Link #1044
einhorn303

Awesome episode was awesome. I thought ep 11 was a bit weak, so I was worried, but this redeems the series. To copypasta some more serious plot thoughts of mine from the BOST forums:

Spoiler for ep 12:

Spoiler for pairings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmos View Post
I
Admit it,that last battle would make a freaking good "rogue squadron" look-alike with strike witches,i mean....the deathstar lol!!
I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thought of Star Wars when they entered the Warkagi, heh...I was all like, "Stay on target...stay on target..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
Edit: wtf preorders for the set with Eila's cards sold out....
It is, after all, called the LIMITED edition :P It's sold out on Amazon.co.jp, at least. It's funny, because it used to be #1 on their Anime DVD sales chart, but now it's dropped to like the 73rd because...people can't buy it anymore.

Will they make more Vol 1 DVD's? Like some sort of reprinted edition?
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 01:20   Link #1045
mg1942

i was like WTF when something happnened on the aircraft carrier Akagi
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 03:30   Link #1046
Kuroi Cosmo

Pretty good final episode, nice animations and lots of action.
I'd have preferred a more open ending, not just the father's letter, but I guess that the dvd sales will convince Gonzo to make a second season.

It's a shame that this thread had to be ruined by all the very annoying rantings of the homophobe people... "xxx is absolutely not gay", "all the girls like co**s", "I'd hope all the gay people to disappear", etc...
Seriously, people... all this hate against homosexuality makes you ridicoulos, why can't you accept people who are different from you?
Bah, AS can be a very sad place sometimes...

That said, EilaXSanya FTW!
Kuroi Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 03:41   Link #1047
Guppy

Spoiler for ep. 12:
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Guppy; 2008-09-19 at 03:55.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 03:57   Link #1048
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Spoiler for ep. 12:
Spoiler:
I'd like there to be a second season, but didn't see how likely that is when one of the popular characters is losing her magical abilities. Sakamoto's shield doesn't work at all anymore.
Old 2008-09-19, 04:50   Link #1049
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

But why would Sakamoto matter solely? She could still very well be in a supporting role and she was basically just that in this first season.

I think a sequel is just about official considering the final moments that just SCREAMED "CLIFFHANGER". Also, I hear the manga is continuing, so why the heck not?

Also, Druaga basically did the same thing. And wait, so did Rosario + Vampire though that show didn't drop the huge cliffhanger bomb like Druaga did. It seems to be Gonzo's modus operandi now.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 05:07   Link #1050
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Spoiler for ep. 12:
Yep, it's a Ki-61-II Kai (Hien). At least at the point where it's shown in the manga, which is a "preview" of what Amaki does later when she's already an ace. She's still a cadet for most of the manga, so she isn't assigned to a unit yet, just the Fussa Academy of the Imperial Army Flight Test Unit. Her sister Masuzu is in the 47th Independant Chutai though.

Your knowledge of WW2 era fighters is kinda staggering .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
I'd like there to be a second season, but didn't see how likely that is when one of the popular characters is losing her magical abilities. Sakamoto's shield doesn't work at all anymore.
There's plenty more characters in the SW world setting. I'd actually be a bit surprised if they continued with the 501st JFW, considering there was a lot of closure for those characters already.

Also, the producers actually getting an up-and-coming VA for Suwa Amaki (an established character who never got her story told) instead of some generic witch/army private makes me wonder if they'll actually go into her story, along with the rest of the Suwa and Nakajima families. Their whereabouts are currently unknown for reasons of military security, so they might even be on the Siberian/Orussian front, where another Neuroi wave appeared, and where a lot of Fuso Witches are stationed/stuck. They've already covered a lot of the other main areas of conflict.

Of course, this is all pure guesswork. No news yet, and I don't really expect anything solid any time soon. IMHO, that letter from Dr. Miyafuji is a really big hint at a second season though...
Old 2008-09-19, 05:11   Link #1051
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Speaking of VA's, here's the image showing the seiyū and their anime counterparts.

Old 2008-09-19, 05:47   Link #1052
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Wall of text which is basically all my thoughts on this episode. hehe.

And with regards to the VA...that's great news Selkirk, time to read the manga in (heightened) anticipation of S2's announcement (hopefully).

FoxxFireArt > Just because you lose your magic abilities doesn't mean you can't play a role in anything.
Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 05:51   Link #1053
Guppy

Quote:
Her sister Masuzu is in the 47th Independant Chutai though.
Oh, that's right; I remember reading your translations of the official doujinshi novelette. (Thanks for those, by the way!) I wonder if Masuzu was still in the unit when Amaki joined it.

Quote:
You should see the folks who hang around on the varlous WW2 aviation boards out there. Some of them are downright scary.

This one was fairly straightforward, though. Strike Witches tends to portray radial-engined Strikers as a bit rounder and tubbier than the inline-engined types. That points to Amaki's Striker being inline, and the Ki-61 was the only one of those the Japanese ever fielded (well, there was the Ki-60 prototype that Masuzu flies, but that never saw service in the real world).

Quote:
There's plenty more characters in the SW world setting. I'd actually be a bit surprised if they continued with the 501st JFW, considering there was a lot of closure for those characters already.
I actually wouldn't mind seeing...
Spoiler for novels:

Last edited by Guppy; 2008-09-19 at 06:14.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 06:50   Link #1054
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

It can be about the witches from the 501st again.
It's not that hard to do it. Maybe they can start season 2 with all the characters joining this new squadron one by one.

Also, it's pretty clear that there will be a new season.
I would say that they added the last scene just for that. They weren't planning a second season when they finished the last episode, but their minds changed when they saw how popular it was, so they added that scene in the end.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 06:57   Link #1055
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmos View Post

.....So,where's my game now?
Admit it,that last battle would make a freaking good "rogue squadron" look-alike with strike witches,i mean....the deathstar lol!!
I was thinking more "Ace Combat" myself though it's tunnel missions have got progressively more insane with time the last one had you flying DOWN THE BARREL OF A RAILGUN!!!

Merely on example selected for the irony of the fact they're sent in to destroy "The Core"
Spoiler for Size:

Ace Combat also loves air battleships and the latest one has as many missile contrails as the show has beams...

Quote:
Yep, it's a Ki-61-II Kai (Hien). At least at the point where it's shown in the manga, which is a "preview" of what Amaki does later when she's already an ace. She's still a cadet for most of the manga, so she isn't assigned to a unit yet, just the Fussa Academy of the Imperial Army Flight Test Unit. Her sister Masuzu is in the 47th Independant Chutai though.

Spoiler for Oh crap I started rambling again...:

So can you tell why I watch the show? Yeah it's not for the girls or the pantsu... Anything with an engine and a weapon on it is intresting to me.

Quote:
They're STILL churning out WWII video games every other month after all there's plenty to work with.

Quote:
Also, the producers actually getting an up-and-coming VA for Suwa Amaki (an established character who never got her story told) instead of some generic witch/army private makes me wonder if they'll actually go into her story, along with the rest of the Suwa and Nakajima families. Their whereabouts are currently unknown for reasons of military security, so they might even be on the Siberian/Orussian front, where another Neuroi wave appeared, and where a lot of Fuso Witches are stationed/stuck. They've already covered a lot of the other main areas of conflict.
It would seem to make little sense to do that unless they had some kind of plan, but time will tell as with all things.

Quote:
Of course, this is all pure guesswork. No news yet, and I don't really expect anything solid any time soon. IMHO, that letter from Dr. Miyafuji is a really big hint at a second season though...
Indeed mostly because it wasn't openned if they showed it read it and it provided some kind of closure that would point away from S2, but the fact they left it hanging is a gaint flaming plot hook. Anyway that's played an RPG can tell you that mysterious leaders are ALWAYS important and plot relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Awesome episode was awesome. I thought ep 11 was a bit weak, so I was worried, but this redeems the series. To copypasta some more serious plot thoughts of mine from the BOST forums:

Spoiler for ep 12:
Or they're tours are up, most western powers did not draft for the duration of anything and successful pilots where often withdrawn home to do training and such even before they where officially done. I think some of them probably will find there way back into combat, but some we might not.

Quote:
Spoiler for Stuff:
I'd point out that a hivemind where individuals can have different views and thoughts is sort of no longer a hivemind it's just kind of a mindmind.
Quote:
Spoiler for pairings:
Search: Sympathy
Searching for Sympathy...
Sympathy Not Found, please try again.

Quote:
I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thought of Star Wars when they entered the Warkagi, heh...I was all like, "Stay on target...stay on target..."
Na man what they really needed was a Macross cannon the counter to guns(beams) is always a bigger gun(beam) after all.

To quote a famous engineer on the matter...
Spoiler for Quote:

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 07:49   Link #1056
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

A very good serie end. I'm sad.
Hope they do second season and more stuff about mecha musume.
Fnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 08:03   Link #1057
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Spoiler for Oh crap I started rambling again...:
So can you tell why I watch the show? Yeah it's not for the girls or the pantsu... Anything with an engine and a weapon on it is intresting to me.
Well, I know as much about WW2 aviation as I do about, uh, rocket science, which is to say nothing at all. To me, all those Strikers look the same except for the paint scheme anyway . Except maybe the jet one, since that didn't have propellors. And maybe the two-seater training one, which was in CompAce but never got scanned... missed the chance to buy it too, since it was rather expensive at 1200 yen + domestic shipping + agent fees + international shipping for 3 pages ripped out of a magazine from 3 years ago <_<.

Maybe if I squint I'll be able to make out the words...

I'm much more familiar with land combat/equipment, so I really wouldn't mind having a second season with some armored ground infantry Witches .
Old 2008-09-19, 08:42   Link #1058
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Anyone know what other shows are going to be released like this? Have GONZO announced any others?

And the 13th episode is listed on ANN
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 09:11   Link #1059
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

This episode should be DVD exclusive, it was said in this topic.

Quote:
Anyone know what other shows are going to be released like this?
Well, Rosario to Vampire Capu 2 have something in common.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 09:23   Link #1060
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

after that i soo want a season 2 heheheh and also and every one would make a comeback in every episode ehhehehe
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume